A black woman never will win The Voice v.2

eidi

23 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, the point is there is all of this focus on getting and AA female winner, which is understandable, but nobody ever mentions how underrepresented Hispanic contestants are, as contenders. They generally get eliminated very early. This season, we have Hailey, and…I’m assuming Raquel and Jeremy? We’ll see how that goes. 

Or just people of color in general. 

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, the point is there is all of this focus on getting and AA female winner, which is understandable, but nobody ever mentions how underrepresented Hispanic contestants are, as contenders. They generally get eliminated very early. This season, we have Hailey, and…I’m assuming Raquel and Jeremy? We’ll see how that goes. 

I can also complain that we have barely Asian people winning this show (only Tessanne but she was multiracial) but I know that both Latino and Asian people take part less often than Black female people on this show.

Also we are discussing only about Black female people here. If you feel other people are under represented, feel free to open another thread. A new discussion is always welcome 😀

8 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

Don't get me wrong, I share the same concerns and I’d love for an AA female to win so bad but I get anxiety every time this topic pops up. The title is ... triggering.

Sorry for the title. I hope someday this situation may change!

28 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

Don't get me wrong, I share the same concerns and I’d love for an AA female to win so bad but I get anxiety every time this topic pops up. The title is ... triggering.

Ikr, it's tiring to face the fact that we follow a show with a highly conservative audience and that women, people of color and LGBT+ people have to work twice as hard to get a good placement. This is why i have wanted to quit watching the show so many times, it's getting more and more depressing with each season.

For this same reason i stopped watching Facebooks comments a long while ago. Man, the "opinions" there are brutal. Their levels of bigotry of the audience there have reached a point where i just can't take it anymore. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

This. 

I’ve supported contestants of pretty much every color and ethnic background. I don’t decide whether I like a contestant, or whether to vote for them, based on their skin color. For example, I’d be more than happy for Wendy to win, even though I usually don’t support the powerhouse divas. I’d be even happier if she sings country on the show. 😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

This. 

I’ve supported contestants of pretty much every color and ethnic background. I don’t decide whether I like a contestant, or whether to vote for them, based on their skin color. For example, I’d be more than happy for Wendy to win, even though I usually don’t support the powerhouse divas. I’d be even happier if she sings country on the show. 😉 

Exactly. People seem quick to jump to the conclusion that voting is based on a contestant's skin color, ethnicity, gender, etc. without taking into consideration that viewers might simply be supporting artists they enjoy listening to. After all, many people have a preference for a certain genre or a particular style of singing, and some like the sound of masculine voices better than feminine voices.

3 minutes ago, RTV said:

Exactly. People seem quick to jump to the conclusion that voting is based on a contestant's skin color, ethnicity, gender, etc. without taking into consideration that viewers might simply be supporting artists they enjoy listening to. After all, many people have a preference for a certain genre or a particular style of singing, and some like the sound of masculine voices better than feminine voices.

It's strange that after 20 seasons the main audience has never liked any black woman on this show, in spite of their differences. Most of them sang R&B, that was also supported when Tessanne Chin, Chris Blue and Cam Anthony won, but some of them were rockers like Chloe Kohanski, pop singers like Brynn Cartelli, Cassadee Pope and Carter Rubin and even country singers such as Craig Wayne Boyd, Danielle Bradbery and Jake Hoot.

So why these names I called won and not any black woman?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, eidi said:

It's strange that after 20 seasons the main audience has never liked any black woman on this show, in spite of their differences. Most of them sang R&B, that was also supported when Tessanne Chin, Chris Blue and Cam Anthony won, but some of them were rockers like Chloe Kohanski, pop singers like Brynn Cartelli, Cassadee Pope and Carter Rubin and even country singers such as Craig Wayne Boyd, Danielle Bradbery and Jake Hoot.

So why these names I called won and not any black woman?

Winning requires a combination of vocal talent and other things. But it isn't accurate to say "the main audience has never liked any black woman" when some have placed in the top five. That's quite an accomplishment!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RTV said:

Winning requires a combination of vocal talent and other things. But it isn't accurate to say "the main audience has never liked any black woman" when some have placed in the top five. That's quite an accomplishment!

Some of them have placed in the top five more recently because of team quotas. But if you remember past seasons, we had barely them in the finale.

Even if top 5 is an accomplishment, this fact is different from winning, obviously. People take part in this show to win, not to be fifth place.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eidi said:

Some of them have placed in the top five more recently because of team quotas. But if you remember past seasons, we had barely them in the finale.

Even if top 5 is an accomplishment, this fact is different from winning, obviously. People take part in this show to win, not to be fifth place.

We can't conclusively claim that people take part in this show to win. The contestants are very well aware that each season has only one winner. Granted, they want to advance as far as possible. But most probably audition for the exposure The Voice provides and to learn from the experience.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 11:25 PM, RTV said:

Yeah there is 2 in the top 5 this year so that statement was clearly contradictory. Will see how these work out but Wendy is likely to finish in the top 3 so that is a really good accomplishment as well. 

3 of the 5 winners in the first 5 seasons were minorities.  In fact a white guy didn't win until season 6.   Asians and Latina winners are under represented as well and until Kelly came on the scene female winners were becoming rare.  In fact females have only won 8 out of 21 seasons.  It's obvious the audience of the show prefers male voices, that's not going to change.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, octoberdana said:

3 of the 5 winners in the first 5 seasons were minorities.  In fact a white guy didn't win until season 6.   Asians and Latina winners are under represented as well and until Kelly came on the scene female winners were becoming rare.  In fact females have only won 8 out of 21 seasons.  It's obvious the audience of the show prefers male voices, that's not going to change.

And out of these 8, 7 are white

Once again, a lot of people who have a history of raising this issue did not support Wendy this season. They may have respected her vocal prowess, but they preferred a different contestant over her, most likely GNT. 

So, we had 3 AA finalists and a Puerto Rican female (who some consider white, but I think we’d need to ask her), and most of IDF supported the white trio. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

And out of these 8, 7 are white

Yes the audience also clearly prefers country.  Want a different winner reach a different audience.  Peoples preferences for music are not generally based on color but rather style.  For example I tend to like big voice  or unusual toned female singers.   Of all the seasons I watch my favorite hardly ever wins because they don't appeal to the main audience that watches the show.  Most of America,isn't thinking I should vote for this contestant because an African American female deserves to win.  On the flip side is someone who prefers R&B going to vote for a country singer? They are voting for what they like musically.  Also this year it's highly possible that Jershika and Wendy and maybe even Hailey could have split the vote of those who prefer belty female voices.  GNT was in their own lane and leaned stylistically to the country voters as well.  The finale was very diverse over all.  

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Once again, a lot of people who have a history of raising this issue did not support Wendy this season. They may have respected her vocal prowess, but they preferred a different contestant over her, most likely GNT. 

So, we had 3 AA finalists and a Puerto Rican female (who some consider white, but I think we’d need to ask her), and most of IDF supported the white trio. 

This.

• Like 5

There's only one winner on The Voice. Below first place, the finish order doesn't really matter. So if you want a certain "type" singer to win, you should support the contestant of that "type" who has the best shot at winning.

It's similar to political elections. None of the candidates are ever flawless. You cast your vote for the person who best represents your "type" yet also has a legitimate chance to win.

It was clear from all metrics that the race for first was between GNT and Wendy. People who want a black woman to win The Voice should have voted for Wendy alone rather than giving Paris, Jershika, Hailey, or GNT any votes. 

12 minutes ago, RTV said:

There's only one winner on The Voice. Below first place, the finish order doesn't really matter. So if you want a certain "type" singer to win, you should support the contestant of that "type" who has the best shot at winning.

It's similar to political elections. None of the candidates are ever flawless. You cast your vote for the person who best represents your "type" yet also has a legitimate chance to win.

It was clear from all metrics that the race for first was between GNT and Wendy. People who want a black woman to win The Voice should have voted for Wendy alone rather than giving Paris, Jershika, Hailey, or GNT any votes. 

Yeah, but we know that’s now how it works in reality. Full disclosure: I gave both Hailey and Wendy 10 votes. I didn’t like Wendy’s song choices, but she was by far the best vocalist of the season, and in the finale, so I felt she deserved it. She blew all of the others off the stage, vocally. Her skin color is not the reason I voted for her. 

Edited by TeamAudra

20 minutes ago, RTV said:

If your sole purpose is to get an AA female winner then this strategy is good I guess. For me I always just vote for my favorite whoever they are. Most of the time they don't win but I still always just wanna support my favorite whomever they are.

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, but we know that’s now how it works in reality. Full disclosure: I gave both Hailey and Wendy 10 votes. I didn’t like Wendy’s song choices, but she was by far the best vocalist of the season, and in the finale, so I felt she deserved it. She blew all of the others off the stage, vocally. 

Let’s be honest, not even Whitney Houston herself would win the voice unless she was the only AA in the finals against 4 EDM rappers. 

And sadly, if Wendy sang only country with amazing song choices, she would have been bombarded with even more hate on social media for “trying to be country”

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MusicMedicine said:

Let’s be honest, not even Whitney Houston herself would win the voice unless she was the only AA in the finals against 4 EDM rappers. 

And sadly, if Wendy sang only country with amazing song choices, she would have been bombarded with even more hate on social media for “trying to be country”

If they can finish in 2nd twice in 4 seasons, they can win. Just because it hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it can’t happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, octoberdana said:

Are we counting Bekah in the 8 or no.

Edited by QueenKalie