Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

queer-eye-.jpg 

ZealousDisgustingHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

As this was the version I included on my application, I will give it a quick write-up as QK's write-up focused more on the original also know as Queer Eye but for many of us, it's simply known as Queer Eye for the Straight Guy... Anyway, this version premiered on Netflix in 2018 - it is a reboot from the original "Queer Eye". In this series, the Fab Five does essentially the same thing as the original cast - they each specialize in a specific field and they give a life makeover to a straight guy. However in this version, they do not only focus on homosexual guy - it's way more diverse where they give makeovers to people with different backgrounds.  And now let's meet the Fab Five;

giphy.gif

Antoni is the the food and wine extraordinaire - having worked in restaurants as a busboy, waiter, sommelier, and a personal chef for Ted Allen whom appeared on the original Queer Eye. Antoni helps the individual cook a meal to impress the people in their live - people often make fun of the meal he makes because it's so simple like hot dogs, grilled cheese, and guacamole. But at the end of the day, he is showing people that barely cook how to make food so he must start with baby steps. Due to his success on the show, Antoni released his own cookbook. And Antoni is obviously the eye candy of the cast!

tumblr_paw1onbuYf1xy084uo3_500.gifv 

Tan is the fashion guru of the Fab Five - he hails from England. Tan made history by being the first openly gay South Asian man on television, and we ll as the only out gay Muslim man on Western television, according to Wikipedia. Tan essentially gives the individual a brand new wardrobe and give them fashion type such as the french tuck which I often utilize. Anyway, Tan has lots of opinion when it comes to fashion especially on capri pants. Since the show, Tan has had his own series where he dresses celebrities as well as the host of Netflix's "Next In Fashion", as well as his own book. 

origin.gif

Karamo is best known for his appearance on "Real World: Philadelphia" in 2004 where he was the first openly gay black man on a reality show, as well as the host of "Are You the One: Second Chances". On the show, he is the lifestyle & culture guru where he often bond with the individual to help them with different aspect of their lives. He is probably the one that create the closest bond with the individuals who appear on the show. Since the show, he published his memoir as well as publishing a children's book. And last but not least, he was on the most recent season of Dancing With The Stars.

tumblr_pv15l0hG9O1xpg1lio1_r1_500.gif

Bobby Berk is an interior designer - he launched his own online store in 2006 to later opening his first store in 2007. Bobby is the design extraordinaire - he is the one that is underrated on the show. We do not see enough of Bobby and how he is able to transform the space in such a limited time frame, which is impressive. Since the show, he has been able to launch his own line of wallpaper, furniture, and art - the show probably help him to bring his brand to another level.

tumblr_pb0j7rpdry1uot847o2_r1_500.gif

Jonathan Van Ness, also known as JVN, is the fabulous grooming extraordinaire! Prior to the show, JVN appeared on the Gay of Thrones web series for which he was nominated for an Emmy. And you may know him for his podcast known as Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness which really took off, following the start of the Queer Eye franchise. On the show, he gives the individual tips when it comes to skin care routines as well as giving them a full on makeover - he also grow a bond with each of the individual. Jonathan is known for being himself and a favorite of many fan of the shows - his popularity allowed him to release his own memoir in 2019. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely love the show and the cast especially JVN who gives us a bunch of memorable quotes & one-liner. I've seen each episodes on multiple occasions and here's quick list of my favourite episodes;

• "You Can't Fix Ugly": Tom is the hero - Tom has lupus which JVN helps him with his skin care. Tom eventually go on a date with an old flame which was a success. They eventually got married, and since then divorced.

• "Dega Don't": Cory and Karamo have an open discussion on the state of black people and police, which was very eye opening for Cory. 

•   "To Gay or Not Too Gay": The Fab Five give a makeup to AJ who is a gay civil engineer, and they help him to come out to his stepmother.

•   "God Bless Gay": One of the most emotional episode for me - it features Tammye, recently diagnosed with cancer, is involved in her church and community. The Fab Five renovated the community center for the homecoming event, where Tammye's openly gay son attend the event. The episode shine a light on acceptance where Tammy share a powerful message regarding her son's coming out story.

• "Sky's the Limit": Skyler, a trans man, needs to have his legal identity reflect his true gender which the Fab 5 helps him with. Another emotional episode!

• "Jones Bar-B-Q": Fab 5 help the owners of Jones Bar-B-Q - Little and Shorty - to improve their self confidence and their business. This episode was filled with emotions and good laughs.

•  "Black Girl Magic": The team help Jess who was kicked out her house by her adoptive parents when she was 16 after they found out her sexual orientation. And at the end of the show, she is reunited with her sister, Jenise. As wekkm she decided to wear her natural curls to embrace her identity which Karamo helped her with.

•  "Without Further Ado": Returning to JVN's high school to give the music director a makeover - she had the same hairstyle since the 1980s. In this episode, JVN shared his experience at the school with Kathi.

• Disabled but Not really": The Fab Five help Wesley, a 30 year single father, who founded a nonprofit organization called "Disabled but not Really". In the episode, we find out that he became paralyze after being shot when he was 24. This episode shine a light on accessibility where Bobby ensure that the house is accesible for Wesley. And Karamo set up a meeting for Wesley with the man who shot him so he can have closure and move forward with his life.

•  "Stoner Skates By": MICHELLE KWAN. That's all. 
Edited by *Chris
  • Like 4

Just now, .Rei said:

@*Chris Have you watched Next in Fashion btw?? Cause I absolutely loved it and was so happy that my top 2 were the actual top 2 and my favorite won :wub:

I started watching it - didn't finish it though. Will probably finish it, eventually - once Project Runway is over so I can get my fashion fix. 

1 minute ago, QueenKalie said:

Them having the same name was very confusing!

It's all good - I just thought majority of people knew it was the recent one considering they've been everywhere including TSwift's music video :haha:

2 hours ago, *Chris said:

giphy.gif

Antoni is the the food and wine extraordinaire - having worked in restaurants as a busboy, waiter, sommelier, and a personal chef for Ted Allen whom appeared on the original Queer Eye. Antoni helps the individual cook a meal to impress the people in their live - people often make fun of the meal he makes because it's so simple like hot dogs, grilled cheese, and guacamole. But at the end of the day, he is showing people that barely cook how to make food so he must start with baby steps. Due to his success on the show, Antoni released his own cookbook. And Antoni is obviously the eye candy of the cast!

tumblr_pb0j7rpdry1uot847o2_r1_500.gif

Great write-up, Chris! I haven't seen the show, but I do think I heard of Antoni and remember thinking he was cute. :giggle: Nice breakdown of the cast and episodes. :yes: 

And love this gif. :haha: 

• Like 1