American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

Not necessarily an unpopular opinion but...

Is Casey the first rocker girl to actually be liked by the judges/get support from them?

I loved Allison in season 8 and if she had just a little bit of what Casey must have (And no I'm not talking about likability. lol) I think she would've made Top 3 over Gokey...

I still think that's why T.V. Guide didn't cover the top 3 on their magazine cover that year. Season 7 was the last time we got this...

tvguide1.jpg

tvguide2.jpg

17 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Is Casey the first rocker girl to actually be liked by the judges/get support from them?

Nadia Turner was well-liked by the judges. America just didn't like her.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Nadia Turner was well-liked by the judges. America just didn't like her.

Nah she started flopping tbh. It was downhill after time after time.

I don't really get the original question because I think like most female rocker contestants are/were liked by the judges. Allison was a favorite if I recall correctly. I only loosely watched season 8 so maybe I'm wrong. 

6 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Nah she started flopping tbh. It was downhill after time after time.

I don't really get the original question because I think like most female rocker contestants are/were liked by the judges. Allison was a favorite if I recall correctly. I only loosely watched season 8 so maybe I'm wrong. 

I'm the Only One was good. But regardless, she was still liked by the judges which was what the question was asking. :haha:

And nah, Allison was definitely not a judges' favourite. Though they liked her more than Kris, Simon in particular nitpicked her for the most mundane things. They pretty much only started to give her half-hearted compliments when it got midway through the finals and the only women left were her and Lil. :dead:

Arthur's performance of Iris was average-to-poor and a classic example of a a contestant putting artistry ahead of listenability.

EDIT

And if Elise can be classed as a rocker girl, the judges had phases of really liking her (One & Only, Vienna, Whole Lotta Love) and then wanting to shake her because of poor song choices (pretty much the rest of the time). 

Edited by 21stCenturyBoy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

I'm the Only One was good. But regardless, she was still liked by the judges which was what the question was asking. :haha:

And nah, Allison was definitely not a judges' favourite. Though they liked her more than Kris, Simon in particular nitpicked her for the most mundane things. They pretty much only started to give her half-hearted compliments when it got midway through the finals and the only women left were her and Lil. :dead:

Yeah, but the judges started giving her lukewarm comments during her later performances and I honestly think the audience was more readily influenced by the judges back then. But I agree with your overall sentiment. 

I mean it's hard to compare because there have been different set of judges over the years. But in general, I can't think of a female rock singer that the judges straight up didn't like. Carly is the closest thing and I can't even say the judges disliked her. Maybe they thought she should be performing better. It seemed like only a couple people that season were consistently getting good feedback (aka David and David). Jena Irene was pretty loved during her time on the show. I think the thing with Casey is that although she's rock, she's also mainstream-ish and cookie cutter. She's very versatile, can sing many genres, and her voice, on the surface, isn't pure rock. Plus, the whole "16-year old rocker that sings beyond her years" also works in her favor. A lot of the past rockers were in-your-face and unapologetically rock, and I think the judges knew that it wasn't marketable or popular with the audience. I think a lot of Casey support from them is them thinking (or knowing) she has a chance at winning. 

Edited by joe14
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

I guess what I mean by judges fave applies to all the girls I liked on Idol not named Melinda. lol Siobhan, Haley, Allison, Carly. Ect.

I see the younger rockers are rare. Carly wasn't that old at the time. Mid 20's? Allison was a freshly turned 17 and Haley was 20...Siobhan? 19-20 I think.

My point being? Casey has something that the judges really think she can sail through with and maybe even be successful with post-show. I agree with that.

I guess yinz answered my question. lol Thanks.

I still demand my Kradison Top 3 on a magazine but that will never happen again in my lifetime... :( 

1. Casey reminds me of Kelly Clarkson, she could do both Pop/Rock and Country, and Kelly has dabbled in Country.

2. I loved Nick Fradiani, he was a nice guy who has loads of talent, I like top 40, Country, Rock/soft rock, and R&B. He could easily be on these soft rock stations and killing it, the songs he's been releasing since are earwarm worthy. He got screwed on Idol by Harry Connick Jr, and then by Scott Borchetta. I loved Clark too but Harry Connick jr took it to far. 

3. Katy Perry's interactions with Laine Hardy were a little creepy and cringy considering he was only 18 at the time. However, her flirting with Cade was perfect, he set her straight but they were cute. We wouldn't have known that him and Gabby were a couple if it weren't for Katy.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, 21stCenturyBoy said:

Arthur's performance of Iris was average-to-poor and a classic example of a a contestant putting artistry ahead of listenability.

EDIT

And if Elise can be classed as a rocker girl, the judges had phases of really liking her (One & Only, Vienna, Whole Lotta Love) and then wanting to shake her because of poor song choices (pretty much the rest of the time). 

Arthur Gunn could crap on stage and still be praised and get lots of votes.

• Confused 1

I really dont watch anymore but just read about the twiat. how is it fair to the ones this season that a runner up got to come back. if they are doing a comeback twist make it like ones that didnt make the live show.

I really miss Jimmy Iovine and thought he was a fantastic in-house mentor (much better than Randy, Scott or B*bby).

He wasn’t afraid to challenge contestants if he thought they were getting complacent or over-stretching their ability, and seemed to genuinely care about their progress. The show really lost something when he left.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 21stCenturyBoy said:

I really miss Jimmy Iovine and thought he was a fantastic in-house mentor (much better than Randy, Scott or B*bby).

He wasn’t afraid to challenge contestants if he thought they were getting complacent or over-stretching their ability, and seemed to genuinely care about their progress. The show really lost something when he left.

Jimmy was alright but he kind of only cared about the contestants that he thought he could sell well--he was just better at hiding it than later mentors. Scott Borchetta was the absolute worst though, remember when he tried to bus La'Porsha (a survivor of domestic abuse!) by making her sing a song about begging a man to stay? :x There is NOBODY associated with Idol I wanted to punch more in the face than that guy.

Bobby is useless, but at least he isn't a narcissistic douche.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

1 hour ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Jimmy was alright but he kind of only cared about the contestants that he thought he could sell well--he was just better at hiding it than later mentors. Scott Borchetta was the absolute worst though, remember when he tried to bus La'Porsha (a survivor of domestic abuse!) by making her sing a song about begging a man to stay? :x There is NOBODY associated with Idol I wanted to punch more in the face than that guy.

Bobby is useless, but at least he isn't a narcissistic douche.

He also completely sabotaged Clark Beckham. I truly think he was on his way to winning season 14 until Scott threw him under the bus and stopped him dead in his tracks. He seems evil especially with everything that happened with Taylor Swift in the recent years. He's very sinister when he gets a plan in his head and stops at nothing to make it happen lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Jimmy was alright but he kind of only cared about the contestants that he thought he could sell well--he was just better at hiding it than later mentors.

But you can't really blame him.  Record labels are a business and they can't just carry people who aren't profitable.  And Jimmy Iovine did have this successes with Idol.  There's a song called Home.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joe14 said:

He also completely sabotaged Clark Beckham. I truly think he was on his way to winning season 14 until Scott threw him under the bus and stopped him dead in his tracks. He seems evil especially with everything that happened with Taylor Swift in the recent years. He's very sinister when he gets a plan in his head and stops at nothing to make it happen lol.

You are talking about Scott Borchetta. Jimmy Iovine had nothing to do with Clark. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, wgm said:

You are talking about Scott Borchetta. Jimmy Iovine had nothing to do with Clark. 

I know? Scott Borchetta was mentioned in the post I replied to. I guess I could've been clearer but I thought it could be inferred. 

Edited by joe14

On 5/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, joe14 said:

I know? Scott Borchetta was mentioned in the post I replied to. I guess I could've been clearer but I thought it could be inferred. 

Thank you

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 2:47 PM, MargoK said:

Hunter is not as good as we want him to be.

Hunter finally gives some great performances and gets voted off. :(

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, Weedy_Speedy said:

Makayla is as generic as she's always been, but there's a certain schadenfreude in her getting the record of "biggest loser/reject" in Idol history upon her inevitable THIRD elimination.

Well... Matr Giraud was there as the BIGGEST idol loser. He was eliminated 3 times in one single season. 

SEMIFINAL

TOP 7

TOP 5

Edited by ferror