The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, sneaky said:

It would be great if some liberals stop lying about Kyle Rittenhouse. No, he's not a hero like conservatives say. But his shooting was clearly In self defense. He is guilty of open carry of a weapon which he is not old enough to possess. With an AR like that it should really be a felony but still...

If there were a large enough gulf between when he murdered those people and when he was arrested, and the RNC happened during it, he would have gotten a speaking spot. It has been shocking to me to see the right embrace this person, and for others to basically lump him in what he did with the looting. These Trump-inspired militias are no laughing matter.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can see the Trump supporters are as delusional as Trump here. Posting a bunch of fake conspiracy theories is pretty pathetic, but Trump knew he could manipulate his voters into this charade.  

I find it hilarious how Trumpsters (and Republicans in general) are just so used to cheating and bullying their way through life, that they simply can't fathom that 75 million Americans voted against

Me waiting for this groundbreaking evidence that has been posted about in this thread for well over a month that's going to win a court case and change everything.

Posted Images

Here’s another way to look at it. Compare the 2016 vs. 2020 chart. I don’t know whether it will hold, but this is a stunning reversal. It turns out Biden probably won’t be able to win the election from his basement. He’ll have to go out and earn it. 

• Like 1

Holy shit, it was actually 6 Iron Range Democrat mayors who endorsed Trump. I’m not ready to go out on a limb yet, but MN could turn red for the first time in nearly 50 years. 

——

DULUTH, Minnesota — Six Democrat Minnesota mayors endorsed President Donald Trump over former Vice President Joe Biden on Friday, asserting that Trump has improved the lives of Minnesotans, while Biden has moved too far to the left.

At a campaign rally for Trump’s reelection, Minnesota Iron Range mayors — Virginia Mayor Larry Cuffe, Chisholm Mayor John Champa, Ely Mayor Chuck Novak, Two Harbors Mayor Chris Swanson, Eveleth Mayor Robert Vlaisavljevich, and Babbitt Mayor Andrea Zupancich — endorsed Trump and Vice President Mike Pence for a second term in office.......

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/08/29/minnesota-democrat-mayors-endorse-donald-trump-biden-did-nothing-working-class/

• Like 1

Harris disagrees with bail because she doesn’t think that one’s checkbook should dictate who gets held in jail. 

Its a reasonable position to have. 

Interesting to see that the GOP have decided a path for their attacks on Harris. They dropped the initial Russian bot narrative that she’s a cop and went with “hates the police.” Okay then. Makes sense considering the way Donald is behaving.

Edited by mercfan3
17 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Harris disagrees with bail because she doesn’t think that one’s checkbook should dictate who gets held in jail. 

Its a reasonable position to have. 

Interesting to see that the GOP have decided a path for their attacks on Harris. They dropped the initial Russian bot narrative that she’s a cop and went with “hates the police.” Okay then. Makes sense considering the way Donald is behaving.

I haven’t heard much of that. They’ve been focusing on her voting record, the most liberal in the US Senate, based on 2019. I just now googled it for the first time. She is in fact the most liberal Senator. Even more liberal than Bernie!

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/report-cards/2019/senate/ideology

Let’s be real, this election isn’t going to be about Kamala anyway. Joe would have been better off picking someone from a swing state. 

Edited by TeamAudra

I think Democrats want to lose. That way when millions are evicted from their homes and the economy really busts they can blame Trump.

Long-term, establishment dems like Pelosi or Schumer dont really care who wins the white house. As long as they keep their seats and power everything is fine and dandy

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I haven’t heard much of that. They’ve been focusing on her voting record, the most liberal in the US Senate, based on 2019. I just now googled it for the first time. She is in fact the most liberal Senator. Even more liberal than Bernie!

Let’s be real, this election isn’t going to be about Kamala anyway. Joe would have been better off picking someone from a swing state. 

VP selections have changed over time, it seems. It's not always about winning a state, but balancing the ticket and attracting/shoring up other potential voters too. 

Kamala is very progressive, I completely understand those that have concerns over her voting record. 

What you said about senior leadership wanting to retain power is spot-on, as you know. 

Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy in my state to win the nomination. I'm not surprised, but a tad disappointed. Dude is the poster child for term limits. 

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

but that’s what progressive means to people. Scary antifa lady. It’s just interesting because the brogressive left labels her as a corporate Democrat cop. (See the Tulsi attacks). At least the conservative attacks match Harris’ record and work.

Yes, Harris is the most progressive senator. Like, a real progressive. The difference between her and Sanders is she proposes workable solutions to get the country in a more progressive state, and not all of her policies are targeted towards white men (again, unappealing to the brogressive left).

If you don’t agree with liberal policies, you won’t like hers. But she’s not Sanders - she’s not offering up unicorns.

She was an excellent “base” pick. Joe needed a historic pick to get people to the voting both and excited to vote for him. The demographic that votes at a 95% rate for Democrats will be excited for her. I’ve said before that Dems need to stop trying to get the alt/Bro left’s vote. They won’t get it. That group doesn’t even come out to vote for Bernie. They need to excite their base and help people who will face voting blocks vote. 

btw: Joe Biden has set Fundraising records since he chose Harris. 

50 minutes ago, Drew said:

VP selections have changed over time, it seems. It's not always about winning a state, but balancing the ticket and attracting/shoring up other potential voters too. 

Kamala is very progressive, I completely understand those that have concerns over her voting record. 

What you said about senior leadership wanting to retain power is spot-on, as you know. 

Ed Markey beat Joe Kennedy in my state to win the nomination. I'm not surprised, but a tad disappointed. Dude is the poster child for term limits. 

Ironically, that doesn’t seem to be working, because we’ve now had several polls over the past week showing Trump gaining a significant amount of African American support. I would have never guessed that would happen, but a large percentage of speakers at the GOP convention were African American, and they were effective. I suspect some of what’s going on in inner-city neighborhoods (run by Democrats) has something to do with it too. Perhaps some are aware of Biden’s past opposition to school integration. If I were African American, I think that would bother me quite a bit, even though it was a few decades ago. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Biden never had the support among AA that Obama and either Clinton had. He had it much more than anyone else this round..but it was much more of a brain decision than a heart one, IMO.

Donald isn’t a dumb campaigner. He’s looked at demos too, and he’s been trying to chunk away at the black male vote since summer. That’s what the Kanye thing is about. That’s why there were keynote speakers.

That being said, Biden has such a huge advantage that its sill far more about how many people come out to vote. If we see big turnout on Election Day, Trump is in trouble. If it’s subdued, Donald wins again.

12 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Biden never had the support among AA that Obama and either Clinton had. He had it much more than anyone else this round..but it was much more of a brain decision than a heart one, IMO.

Donald isn’t a dumb campaigner. He’s looked at demos too, and he’s been trying to chunk away at the black male vote since summer. That’s what the Kanye thing is about. That’s why there were keynote speakers.

That being said, Biden has such a huge advantage that its sill far more about how many people come out to vote. If we see big turnout on Election Day, Trump is in trouble. If it’s subdued, Donald wins again.

Sure, but Trump doesn’t have to win the AA vote. If he gets 19-20% as several recent polls have shown, I don’t see how he loses. I still need to see more polls over a longer period of time, though. 

40 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Sure, but Trump doesn’t have to win the AA vote. If he gets 19-20% as several recent polls have shown, I don’t see how he loses. I still need to see more polls over a longer period of time, though. 

again, it depends on how many people come out, especially considering suburban white women seem to be breaking for Biden at an even higher rate than they did for Clinton. 

If Biden earns 20% less of the vote than Clinton did, but gets 500,000 more AA voters to come out for him in key states, he’ll still win. 

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I think if an election were to be held today that it would essentially come down to a coin flip, or possibly a dice roll. 

Always interesting to see how two different aggregates weight polls differently too. I usually follow 538 over RCP, but both have different methods of data analysis:

RCP Polling average (includes 3rd party):
Biden: 48.9%
Trump: 42.5%

RCP chances of victory:
Biden: 50.2%
Trump: 50%

538 Polling average (excludes 3rd party):
Biden: 52.3%
Trump: 46.3%

528 chances of victory:
Biden: 69%
Trump: 30%

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Ironically, that doesn’t seem to be working, because we’ve now had several polls over the past week showing Trump gaining a significant amount of African American support. I would have never guessed that would happen, but a large percentage of speakers at the GOP convention were African American, and they were effective. I suspect some of what’s going on in inner-city neighborhoods (run by Democrats) has something to do with it too. Perhaps some are aware of Biden’s past opposition to school integration. If I were African American, I think that would bother me quite a bit, even though it was a few decades ago. 

Any links to these polls? I don't want to go digging through the countless number of polls that get released in the USA seemingly daily (I'm very happy that there are only a handful of polling companies in Canada, makes it very easy to follow). I'd like to see if any of the good polling agencies which are showing this trend, and not the trash ones like Rasmussen.

1 hour ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Any links to these polls? I don't want to go digging through the countless number of polls that get released in the USA seemingly daily (I'm very happy that there are only a handful of polling companies in Canada, makes it very easy to follow). I'd like to see if any of the good polling agencies which are showing this trend, and not the trash ones like Rasmussen.

This Twitter account posts all of the polls.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers?s=21

I follow that and RCP. I honestly just started watching them over the last few days, and only briefly look at crosstabs, when they are provided.There has been many mentions on that Twitter feed about Trump’s AA support increasing post convention. Like I said, I need to see more. I personally think most of the pollsters are garbage. I mentioned the over sampling of Democrats the other day, for example. That’s why the betting odds are 50-50, while Biden has a 6 point lead on the RCP average. I start delving into it a little more when we have more “reliable” polls. 

Edited by TeamAudra