Jump to content
idolforums.com
Drew

The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Drew said:

Biden did state his opposition to this though. How much more equivocal could someone be? I agree though that Donald could weaponize this and people might believe it. 


He can’t defund local police departments anyway, but he did come out and say he would consider withholding federal funds. I can’t find the clip right now, but I saw it on TV tonight. That’s him throwing a bone to the hoards of leftists attacking him on Twitter. Do I think he would ever support it, or even withhold federal funds? F*ck no. It’s all lip service. Some in his campaign support it, including AOC. It’s going to be problematic for him, no matter what he says or does. 
 

The video in the 2nd tweet below is the one he doesn’t want his base to see. I couldn’t post it without the 1st one showing up, but that one is pretty good too. LOL 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It’s a systemic issue, regardless.

2. Race likely played a role in the personal issue.

3. The Alyssa comment - although I disagree with her at times, she was right about Biden/Reade. 
 

the problem with the #BelieveWomen hashtag is the same with the #DefundthePolice hashtag

 

By believe women, people were referring to the tendency of society to either not believe women at all and fail to investigate, or blame women for their own assault. 
 

believe women simply means that women’s allegations should be taken seriously and investigated. (As was the case with Reade, and as it turns out..she is a lying liar who lies.) It did not mean believe every word out of every woman’s mouth ever. 

 

Similarly, defund the police is intended to mean “let’s take a look at the books for police officers, maybe they don’t need military style weapons, maybe some of this money in this extraordinarily large budget - as is the case in NYC - might be put to better use in other areas..like maybe truancy programs, as has been shown there is a huge correlation between truancy and prison..or perhaps in resources for communities.” Not, “take all the money from the police and we will have no police. That will solve the problem.”

 

but it’s real easy to see how #defundThepolice has quickly evolved into the second, just as #believeAllWomen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

1. It’s a systemic issue, regardless.

2. Race likely played a role in the personal issue.

3. The Alyssa comment - although I disagree with her at times, she was right about Biden/Reade. 
 

the problem with the #BelieveWomen hashtag is the same with the #DefundthePolice hashtag

 

By believe women, people were referring to the tendency of society to either not believe women at all and fail to investigate, or blame women for their own assault. 
 

believe women simply means that women’s allegations should be taken seriously and investigated. (As was the case with Reade, and as it turns out..she is a lying liar who lies.) It did not mean believe every word out of every woman’s mouth ever. 

 

Similarly, defund the police is intended to mean “let’s take a look at the books for police officers, maybe they don’t need military style weapons, maybe some of this money in this extraordinarily large budget - as is the case in NYC - might be put to better use in other areas..like maybe truancy programs, as has been shown there is a huge correlation between truancy and prison..or perhaps in resources for communities.” Not, “take all the money from the police and we will have no police. That will solve the problem.”

 

but it’s real easy to see how #defundThepolice has quickly evolved into the second, just as #believeAllWomen


In Minneapolis, it’s literally eliminating the police department. I heard what they said, and read what they wrote, and so did you. It didn’t need to evolve into the extreme, because that’s where it started. BLM rallies talk about, “no more cops, no more guns.” Do words not matter to you? 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


In Minneapolis, it’s literally eliminating the police department. I heard what they said, and read what they wrote, and so did you. It didn’t need to evolve into the extreme, because that’s where it started. BLM rallies talk about, “no more cops, no more guns.” Do words not matter to you? 


The few Loud voices spouting this don’t represent the whole. 
 

As you said, 90% of your state don’t agree with that. I’d be willing to bet that more than 10% of your state thinks that structural change needs to happen In some form  to stop police brutality.

 

Again, why let extremists...as loud as their voices can be on social media and memes..define things?
 

Because instead of discussing ways in which police reform can actually happen, like in some of the suggestions that Harris has (both in her legislation and interviews)..who had become a significantly larger voice on the issue than a city councilman...we’re talking about an extreme position. (One in which you believe will never happen anyway).

 

This won’t be a problem for Biden because he approaches policies like a grownup. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:


The few Loud voices spouting this don’t represent the whole. 
 

As you said, 90% of your state don’t agree with that. I’d be willing to bet that more than 10% of your state thinks that structural change needs to happen In some form  to stop police brutality.

 

Again, why let extremists...as loud as their voices can be on social media and memes..define things?
 

Because instead of discussing ways in which police reform can actually happen, like in some of the suggestions that Harris has (both in her legislation and interviews)..who had become a significantly larger voice on the issue than a city councilman...we’re talking about an extreme position. (One in which you believe will never happen anyway).

 

This won’t be a problem for Biden because he approaches policies like a grownup. 
 

 


It seems the Democrat talking points are to pretend it isn’t real, and defund doesn’t really mean defund. I’ve seen a couple “strategists” saying the same things you’re saying. There are people in power that support this, and very loud voices often get what they want. 
 

Just about everyone agrees that changes can be made in police departments, but that’s not what we’re talking about here. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, you were literally the first person I saw brings this up, and I’ve only started seeing “abolish the police” Facebook posts from my anti-vaccine (sigh) friends today. 
 

those aren’t “talking points.” It’s a real discussion about police reform. 

 

it seems conservative talking points are to deflect from the actual issue - again. Just as controlling riots were apparently more important than systemic oppression.
 

Again, you even said the chance of it happening is close to zero. So why keep bringing it up? 
 

there are so many politicians with louder voices (Harris, Booker), talking about real reform..why are you insisting on repeating the scarecrow argument?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Honestly, you were literally the first person I saw brings this up, and I’ve only started seeing “abolish the police” Facebook posts from my anti-vaccine (sigh) friends today. 
 

those aren’t “talking points.” It’s a real discussion about police reform. 

 

it seems conservative talking points are to deflect from the actual issue - again. Just as controlling riots were apparently more important than systemic oppression.
 

Again, you even said the chance of it happening is close to zero. So why keep bringing it up? 
 

there are so many politicians with louder voices (Harris, Booker), talking about real reform..why are you insisting on repeating the scarecrow argument?


I did not say the chance of it happening is close to zero. The City Council voted to begin dismantling the police department. This is not anti-vaccine stuff. I said I didn’t think it would happen, but I’m wrong about stuff all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

By defund the police. Minneapolis is looking to cut 200 funds million  from 1.2 billion. Reasonable. And not at all what you are suggesting.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/08/us/what-does-defund-police-mean.amp.html

 

The whole article explains what “defund the police” means. Again - it’s all reasonable. 

So when politicians are advocating to dismantle, they mean reduce responsibilities, and change the structure of the police department. It appears Minneapolis believes their police department is beyond small repair. Again, dismantling as is, does not mean “no cops and anarchy.”

 

Here is a case study of a small city that did just that. Hmm. Not so bad.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

 

the twitter tag is polarizing. But no one (reasonable) is advocating for no public safety. 
 

 

Edited by mercfan3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

By defund the police. Minneapolis is looking to cut 200 funds million  from 1.2 billion. Reasonable. And not at all what you are suggesting.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/06/08/us/what-does-defund-police-mean.amp.html

 

The whole article explains what “defund the police” means. Again - it’s all reasonable. 

So when politicians are advocating to dismantle, they mean reduce responsibilities, and change the structure of the police department. It appears Minneapolis believes their police department is beyond small repair. Again, dismantling as is, does not mean “no cops and anarchy.”

 

Here is a case study of a small city that did just that. Hmm. Not so bad.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

 

the twitter tag is polarizing. But no one (reasonable) is advocating for no public safety. 
 

 


You misread that. The Minneapolis police budget for 2020 is $189 million. $1.3 billion is the overall budget for the city. The $200 million they intend to cut is the entire budget for the PD, and then some. 
 

They’ve made it clear. They intend to get rid of the police department and replace it with something else, but they haven’t stated what the “something else” is, beyond shifting money to other programs. It remains to be seen whether they’ll stick with their plan, but they voted to proceed with a veto-proof majority. 

 

 

...Minneapolis, for instance, is looking to cut $200 million from its $1.3 billion overall annual budget, said Lisa Bender, the City Council president. The police budget in 2020 was $189 million. She hopes to shift money to other areas of need in the city....

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This must not be real either. At least people aren’t talking about Minneapolis anymore. #DefundThePolice

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 9:20 AM, ButterflyEffect said:

I was very certain that Trump would run away with the election. Obviously there's still a lot of time left between now and the actual election, and if the economy rebounds and the civil unrest dissipates then you're likely to see a much closer race. However, there is no doubt in my mind that if the election were held today that it would be a landslide victory for Joe Biden and the Democrats.

The thing is the election isn't today. When it's go-time and both Biden and Trump get out of the gate you better hope that Biden has some sort of plan and some sort of image for his America. Elections can't be won on a campaign of "I'm not Trump".

I'm fairly confident Trump is screwed.  The economy is shot so he needs to rely on new voters which he is not capable of getting. Unfortunately, I think Biden winning will be the worst thing that could happen for the Democrats. They will believe they can elect the worst, inept, most  status quo candidate and win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

 

 

 

 

 

I mean there are always going to be trolls. There was a guy several years ago that went around having white people pay him money and prostrate and worship him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sneaky said:

 

 

I mean there are always going to be trolls. There was a guy several years ago that went around having white people pay him money and prostrate and worship him.


The whole thing is a parody of itself. If you want a laugh every now and then, do a twitter search for “CHAZ.” Apparently, they’re trying to do this in other cities.  They’re clearly too stupid for this to be long term. The mayor of Seattle supports this. THAT is is the problem. The elected leadership in most of these big cities is totally incompetent. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, could we discuss Milton Friedman for a moment? Has anyone taken the time to watch some of the many videos that are out there on YouTube?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s come to this....

 

Hubbard is a running back for Oklahoma State’s football team. Mike Gundy is the head coach. Is this all it takes for people to get triggered these days? I thought this was a parody account when I first saw the tweet. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BDB seems unique in his ability to be hated across all regions of the political spectrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point really wondering who the f--- trains cops and how they are trained. WAy too often that they shoot people running away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, they’ve already kissed and made up. He admitted it wasn’t a good idea to project his thoughts on Twitter like that. I’ll give him a pass this time, but it was pretty dumb. My advice to him would be to choose his battles more wisely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the networks are all on par with each other as you appear to insinuate, but each definitely has an ideological bent to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if many of the allegations in the Bolton book are true, but holy moly. If he was there six months ago telling this story, there's a chance we could have a different Republican candidate in the Fall.

 

Truth be told, I’m not even sure if he was subpoenaed back then, the Senate would have voted to convict. I think it would have been a totally partisan exercise still most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...