The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

Any other President in my lifetime would have been all over the airwaves from jump street trying to diffuse this situation....but where has Trump been?  Well it took about a minute into his address today to realize what we all probably knew already...we would have been better off if he had just kept his mouth shut.  The man simply has no interest in uniting the people of this country...something that is paramount to office of the Presidency.  He thrives on divisiveness and conflict, and that is bound to trickle down from the top.  As a result, we could very possibly be descending into Civil War ll.

Minnesota proved that curfews and the use of brute force is the only way to contain these riots. Minneapolis is entirely run by progressive Democrats. Minnesota has a Democrat Governor. They found out the hard way playing nice doesn’t work. They get it now, and things have been mostly under control over the last few days. 

Edited by TeamAudra

4 minutes ago, bswanson said:

^^ yes but the protest at the park in DC was peacful and Trump attakced them, sent out the cops and fired tear gas and rubber bullets. thats just as wong and the riots, they have a right to protest peacefully 

4 minutes ago, bswanson said:

^^ yes but the protest at the park in DC was peacful and Trump attakced them, sent out the cops and fired tear gas and rubber bullets. thats just as wong and the riots, they have a right to protest peacefully 

Trump says he is going to bring in the military in those states that dont use the National Guard. Gotta love those conservative value of state freedoms and rights.

My city is decent sized and we aren't gassing our own people nor do we even have a curfew. Not everything has to be brute force 

15 minutes ago, bswanson said:

I haven’t had time to pay attention to what’s going on today in DC, but the last few days have been anything but peaceful. Just last night, they burned down a historic DC church. Over the weekend, I watched people throwing rocks and water bottles at Secret Service agents for hours. The gas and rubber bullets have worked pretty well in Minneapolis over the last few days, now that we have adequate support from the National Guard. 

Edited by TeamAudra

38 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Trump says he is going to bring in the military in those states that dont use the National Guard. Gotta love those conservative value of state freedoms and rights.

My city is decent sized and we aren't gassing our own people nor do we even have a curfew. Not everything has to be brute force 

The situation in every city is different. Minneapolis was child’s play compared to what they could do in NYC. I actually think Antifa will leave Minneapolis soon (if they haven’t already), and head to cities without a law enforcement presence, now that we have one. They know the Florida Governor won’t put up with their sh*t, so you’ll probably be spared. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

The situation in every city is different. Minneapolis was child’s play compared to what they could do in NYC. I actually think Antifa will leave Minneapolis soon (if they haven’t already), and head to cities without a law enforcement presence, now that we have one. They know the Florida Governor won’t put up with their sh*t, so you’ll probably be spared. 

It's been pretty mild in my neck of the woods.  I wonder if that's because it's a well know fact that the number of civilian arms greatly out way that law enforcement here?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

It's been pretty mild in my neck of the woods.  I wonder if that's because it's a well know fact that the number of civilian arms greatly out way that law enforcement here?

It’s probably the same reason they haven’t ventured out into the Twin Cities suburbs much. Lots of shotguns. I’m only about 15 miles South of the action, but I’m not too worried about them coming here. There’s been some minor vandalism of businesses here and there, but those are probably just some local kids being stupid. 

Edited by TeamAudra

The violence has to be stopped though. We have another protest in my city which is outside Boston and the page calls for a bigger crowd specifically so I'm getting a bit nervous. It's on the Governors of these states to do this. I'm not saying literally put the people down, but when you see looting and destruction of property, there's this visceral reaction - you're clearly not part of this community and you don't particularly care about the issue at hand, you simply want to foment unrest and chaos. 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

The violence has to be stopped though. We have another protest in my city which is outside Boston and the page calls for a bigger crowd specifically so I'm getting a bit nervous. It's on the Governors of these states to do this. I'm not saying literally put the people down, but when you see looting and destruction of property, there's this visceral reaction - you're clearly not part of this community and you don't particularly care about the issue at hand, you simply want to foment unrest and chaos. 

If the governors of the state called for the arrests of those officers committing violence against black people then that would be leagues more helpful than calling in National Guard.

Also again all this is happening because Minneapolis Police did not attest four of their own for killing a black man.

This is the senseless violence you should all be talking about. If you are putting looting and property destruction in the forefront in your minds and thoughts please rethink and watch the many videos that have been posted in this thread and on social media. The police are the ones who are committing senseless violence. Not protestors. And none of these protests would be happening if the police stopped killing hundreds of black people (and over 1000 people) each year or at the bare minimum if arrests were made when they did!

• Thanks 1

When you have violent police across the country it's not just a few bad apples, it's the entire orchard. How do you see the videos of police tear gassing, macing, and beating peaceful protestors and think "wow there are still good cops" because again none of those good cops are speaking up! Silence is violence and complicity. There are no good cops.

• Thanks 1

Ways Governors could actually help the small businesses being looted (for all of you who care /so/ much now):

1. Cancel rent. A lot of these businesses should have insurance anyway but a reason why a lot of businesses live on thin margins is the fact that they have expensive rents in the locations they are at. As soon as it became clear that COVID-19 was going to cause state wide shutdowns of non-essential businesses Governors and lawmakers should have cancelled rent. Cancelling rent would have (and still could) give a great economic relief to these businesses which many of you are pointing out are now taking double the impact from COVID and now the lootings. I'd argue further that all rent and mortgages should be cancelled nationwide for as long as we are in quarantine but the President is incompetent and and also a landlord who would let millions of people die and be evicted than to do anything to actually help people.

2. Make it easier to access small business loans and grants. Instead of the billions of dollars that some cities spend on militarizing their police every year funnel it back into the community (LA gives $3.14 billion into its police budget as opposed to $6 million in emergency funds). This applies to state police, a cursory glance at the New York Budget shows around $1 billion allotted to the state police. 

Here's footage, from the Convo Couch (independent progressive journalists). They were at a protest in LA. The  tactics of the police, is disgusting, and totally uncalled for. It  is very eye opening. and … it's all on film  :mellow:

Apparently, I was wrong. Some of them have made their way to the suburbs. This is a few miles from my house. In this case, it was in the middle of the night, and it didn’t end well for them. Perhaps they thought it would be easier to pull this off away from all of the action. Oops. The article doesn’t say where they’re from. 

Edited by TeamAudra