The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, bswanson said:

the raid is one thing  to be concerned about but if he has notinig to hide why not jsut give his taxes every other President has 

There’s no legal requirement for a President to release tax returns. People can decide for themselves how that affects their vote. I haven’t looked into it, but this particular court decision is most likely related to one of the numerous investigations. I can’t even keep track of all of them anymore. 

Special election MN House 1st District. This will probably tighten somewhat, but it will be a Republican hold. The only legit poll had it at R+8. I’m pretty disappointed in that turnout. We’ll see how it goes in the Fall. 

1ZCLiyU.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-special-elections/minnesota-house-results

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

former FBI special agent and Navy seal Jonathan Gilliam interview
He says it is a mistake to appoint Department of Justice lawyers for the position of FBI director, because their loyalty will lie with the DoJ. He believes the FBI director should be someone who "grew up" in the FBI. The three most recent FBI directors (Robert Mueller 2001-2013, James Comey 2013-2017, and Christopher Wray 2017-present) are attorneys who worked at the Justice Department before leading the FBI.

Trump attorney Alina Habba interview

Edited by RTV

23 hours ago, season1 said:

Thanks for posting that. Some people are watching the reactions of so-called "leaders" and this raid is another situation that could expose some politicians' true colors, convictions and allegiances.

The raid does not surprise me, nor the reactions (or lack thereof) by some politicians. 

23 hours ago, RTV said:

Some prominent people that I expected to tweet about it haven't yet.

Two reactions I was waiting to see.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was in his home state after floods devastated parts of eastern Kentucky, killing at least 37. "I'm here to talk about the flood and recovery from the flood," the Republican told reporters earlier on Tuesday when asked about the raid.

Republican Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, Judiciary Committee ranking member, tweeted and released a statement.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/news-releases/grassley-fbi-must-immediately-explain-itself-after-years-of-politicization-and-loss-of-public-trust 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RTV said:

Two reactions I was waiting to see.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was in his home state after floods devastated parts of eastern Kentucky, killing at least 37. "I'm here to talk about the flood and recovery from the flood," the Republican told reporters earlier on Tuesday when asked about the raid.

Republican Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa, Judiciary Committee ranking member, tweeted and released a statement.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/news-releases/grassley-fbi-must-immediately-explain-itself-after-years-of-politicization-and-loss-of-public-trust 

Weak. Tulsi Gabbard, a democrat, has more fire and common sense in her reaction.

Tulsi Gabbard: "If you think this is just about Trump, you're wrong. This is about every American."

Edited by season1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, season1 said:

Weak. Tulsi Gabbard, a democrat, has more fire and common sense in her reaction.

Tulsi Gabbard: "If you think this is just about Trump, you're wrong. This is about every American."

I watched the entire Jesse Watters program. Senator Lindsey Graham said all Republicans should call on Garland to justify the raid.

Gabbard is right, and people in both parties need to wake up and realize where all of this could lead. During Biden's administration especially, the FBI and the DoJ have shown just how much power can be wielded against anyone they deem to be an enemy. And, as Eric Trump noted on the program, most people can't afford to fight back like his father has done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Special election MN House 1st District. This will probably tighten somewhat, but it will be a Republican hold. The only legit poll had it at R+8. I’m pretty disappointed in that turnout. We’ll see how it goes in the Fall. 

1ZCLiyU.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-special-elections/minnesota-house-results

Yikes. Finstad ended up winning by only 4.2%. Still a Republican hold, but they have to do it all again in Nov with a higher turnout. 

• Like 1

“Twitter isn’t real life.”

It’s important to keep things in perspective. Most people don’t really follow the news beyond headlines, and many of those who spend hours a day on social media have a warped view of reality, because they see the same falsehoods repeated over and over. It’s a dangerous place. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/05/05/10-facts-about-americans-and-twitter/

• Like 1

Former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy writes in his opinion piece today that "Democrats who hope to ban Trump from running after the FBI raid will not get their wish."

other excerpts:

I continue to believe that establishment Democrats want former President Donald Trump to be the Republican presidential nominee in 2024. They calculate that a post-Capitol riot Trump, particularly a Trump bruised by the slick made-for-TV drama series known as the House January 6 Committee hearings, is their best shot at electing a Democrat.

The FBI's search of Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence is yet another hardball move that Democrats figure will stoke GOP anger — enough to get Trump nominated. From there, Democrats surmise, he cannot win a national election, so they would retain the White House.

But this is not a universal view on the Left.

Many progressives, to the contrary, not only want Trump indicted, they want him disqualified by law from seeking the presidency.

It won't work.

It is a fundamental tenet of our law that a mere statute cannot alter or override the Constitution. That can legitimately be done only by amending the Constitution.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/fbi-raid-trumps-mar-a-lago-home-help-democrats-in-2024

Fifteen boxes from Trump were received by the National Archives in January.

Trump's lawyers had discussions with the Justice Department this spring over documents at the Palm Beach residence. Trump's team searched through boxes and returned items to the National Archives.

Trump lawyers Christina Bobb and Evan Corcoran met with Jay Bratt, chief of the Justice Department's counterintelligence and export control section, in June along with several investigators. Bratt and his team looked through boxes.

Trump had a lock added to the storage unit, because Justice Department officials said it was not properly secured.

Around a dozen boxes were reportedly removed from a basement storage area during Monday's raid.

https://thepostmillennial.com/trumps-mar-a-lago-home-raided-on-belief-that-former-president-violated-presidential-records-act

Edited by RTV

Interesting tweet from Dave here: (couple that with bad campaigning).

@TeamAudra 

what do you think about Ryan's tweet about MN01?

Edited by Gmm99

18 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

Regarding Ryan's thoughts on Kari Lake:

DeSantis can show her how it’s done. Talk about conservative positions a majority of people in the state agree her on. There’s enough there to talk about for hours. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

DeSantis can show her how it’s done. Talk about conservative positions a majority of people in the state agree her on. There’s enough there to talk about for hours. 

Which reminds me! 

There are people calling her "DeSantis of the West." I'm not joking.

• Like 1

according to the article:

Mar-a-Lago has only a skeleton staff due to being closed for the season

over 30 plain clothes agents arrived at 9 a.m. and left at 6:30 p.m.

Trump's lawyers "caught off guard;" arrived an hour later but were not allowed inside to observe despite 91 degree temperature outside

search warrant focused solely on stored presidential records and classified information

3 DoJ lawyers claimed "full access to everything; we can go everywhere"

staff provided access to every room, but security cameras were not switched off as feds requested

agents searched the family's entire 3,000sf private quarters including Melania's wardrobe, a separate office and safe, and a locked basement storage room

an eyewitness said 15 cardboard boxes of material from the White House were stored in the locked basement room; all were confiscated

it's unknown what else was taken; no itemized list of confiscated property was provided by FBI

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fbi-searched-melanias-wardrobe-spent-hours-trumps-private-office-mar-a-lago-raid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gmm99 said:

Which reminds me! 

There are people calling her "DeSantis of the West." I'm not joking.

I rolled my eyes when I saw that too.  For starters, she has to win the election first. DeSantis is basically Ted Cruz smart, but unlike Ted, he knows how to use his intelligence to get shit done, rather than just talk a good game. He is a masterful tactician, always seemingly one step ahead of everyone else. Kari’s experience is reading a teleprompter. That doesn’t mean she can’t be a good Governor, it’s just that there’s no basis for that comparison at this time. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2