The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

On 1/20/2022 at 7:03 PM, TeamAudra said:

Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe Trump doesn’t want to run, and might support DeSantis? Trump has a long history of teasing to run for President. So long that I was shocked when he eventually did. 

It's crossed mine!

On 1/21/2022 at 8:04 AM, season1 said:

He's banned on the big tech social media sites, and only posts on Gab and other alt sites, so I doubt that he has a wide reach. I don't really care what Trump loyalists say or even Trump himself, with regards to petty politics. 

As to searching for Roger Stone on Gab, I found it by just typing "Roger" on the search box (only registered users can use the search function though).

This is his Gab account:

https://gab.com/RogerJStoneJr

The "J" is why it does not come up when searching "roger stone".

I like Gab, I've had my account since the start (2016). It has improved a lot since then, with more features. I particularly like the groups, custom feeds and GabTV. I haven't used the chat feature yet. Soon, it will have "GabPay" (alternative to PayPal).  It owns its servers and does not rely on big tech systems.

Apple and Google banned Gab on their app store but you can still add the Gab app to your phone with simple instructions. And if you use Brave browser, it comes with a Gab app for laptops/desktops.

I haven't been using "social" media for a couple of years, when I realized it was like being back in high school among mean girls. I access certain recommended links, but that's it. I may have to look into Gab down the road, if I feel I can tolerate it. And good on Brave!

As to Mollie's article, I'm glad she called out Allahpundit. He's become so jaded that I immediately take anything he writes with a grain of salt. I still like Ed, Jazz, and a few others on Hot Air, but AP has soiled the place 😂

Edited by monkshood
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, monkshood said:

I haven't been using "social" media for a couple of years, when I realized it was like being back in high school among mean girls. I access certain recommended links, but that's it. I may have to look into Gab down the road, if I feel I can tolerate it. And good on Brave!

As to Mollie's article, I'm glad she called out Allahpundit. He's become so jaded that I immediately take anything he writes with a grain of salt. I still like Ed, Jazz, and a few others on Hot Air, but AP has soiled the place 😂

I have not read the name "Allahpundit" in a long time until Mollie mentioned him. I stopped going to HA several years ago when they switched to Facebook commenting. Many regulars left the place and went to other blogs. I used to read 3-4 blogs before but now I just go to The Last Refuge regularly for political blog and Rantingly for news and quick links to dozens of blogs and conservative Twitter accounts.

Signing up for Gab is easy. All you need is an email address. Wait till next week to sign up though as there's an influx of new users this week after Tim Pool and Elijah Schafer recommended Gab after the CEO's guest appearance on Timcast the other day.

• Like 1

Came across this headline [image shared on Gab]:

f499f00ddd97a2c2.jpeg

Japan is calling on China to stop using the “undignified” test as some passengers said it caused them “psychological distress”.

China allegedly ordered American diplomats to undergo anal tests sparking a row with the State Department.

Beijing has denied the claims but Washington has slammed the tests as “undignified.”

In response, Lu Hongzhou, a Chinese doctor, told state media that travelers could provide a poo sample at the airport instead.

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Yikes, this is bad. WTF is going on?

FDA is getting ready to pivot to promoting Pfizer's and Merck's pills, so they're limiting access to proven treatments.

There are still other treatment options that Desantis and FL DOH can authorize, and they can certainly encourage Floridians to boost their immune system and improve their health. 

13 minutes ago, season1 said:

FDA is getting ready to pivot to promoting Pfizer's and Merck's pills, so they're limiting access to proven treatments.

There are still other treatment options that Desantis and FL DOH can authorize, and they can certainly encourage Floridians to boost their immune system and improve their health. 

They already do that. Obviously, not everyone acts on that advice. This isn’t just a a Florida problem, and it’s most likely a decision driven by politics. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

If anyone left leaning is still on here may I ask a question?

There's been all this talk about voting rights lately but where is it that masses of people dont have said rights? People of color be it middle class or poor still have some sort of ID in 99.5% percent of cases. The only people I think might not might be people on underserved Native American reservations. Is it transportation that's the issue? Wouldn't better working bus systems outside of the city be the answer to that? What do you think of when you think of voting rights being under attack?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sneaky said:

If anyone left leaning is still on here may I ask a question?

There's been all this talk about voting rights lately but where is it that masses of people dont have said rights? People of color be it middle class or poor still have some sort of ID in 99.5% percent of cases. The only people I think might not might be people on underserved Native American reservations. Is it transportation that's the issue? Wouldn't better working bus systems outside of the city be the answer to that? What do you think of when you think of voting rights being under attack?

i dont have problems with id but  why the need to close voting places and make people travel. and it seems most closed olling places are in minority neighborhoods, then they have to travel and wait 10 hours in line when they may have families to care for. if they opened more places less long lines and faser voting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bswanson said:

i dont have problems with id but  why the need to close voting places and make people travel. and it seems most closed olling places are in minority neighborhoods, then they have to travel and wait 10 hours in line when they may have families to care for. if they opened more places less long lines and faser voting 

That's fair. I don't have all the education on the subject and its something I didn't understand the fuss about. I wonder if that is something the cities are doing rather than the Republican party

11 hours ago, sneaky said:

That's fair. I don't have all the education on the subject and its something I didn't understand the fuss about. I wonder if that is something the cities are doing rather than the Republican party

The Republican party on its own can't dictate what polling places are open/closed. You're probably right that it's either the city or state dictating it. Most likely state.

• Like 1

What do you think about this?

I do have a feeling that the 2022 Democratic senate candidates are going to heavily politicize this. It MAY help Democrats (I hope not) retain the senate.

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, Gmm99 said:

What do you think about this?

I do have a feeling that the 2022 Democratic senate candidates are going to heavily politicize this. It MAY help Democrats (I hope not) retain the senate.

Biden could use this as a way to replace Kamala. She’d still have to survive the hearings, though. 😬

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Biden could use this as a way to replace Kamala. She’d still have to survive the hearings, though. 😬

This would be wonderful for ... I'm not sure. She isn't particularly popular with the Sanders wing of the party, is she? (although I know she's quite capable of assuming that persona, if need be). Somehow I don't think this will shore up the party centrists much, and it certainly won't help among independents if the Dems continue to push left. The battle is between the Democratic centrists and leftists, and I think the party's viability will rest on the outcome of that war.

I saw somewhere that Pelosi is planning to push back against the AOC wing of the party (is that why she's running again?). I don't know if it's true, but I think it would be awfully funny if she were to lose.