The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

I’ll say it, people on social media fancy themselves foreign policy experts all of a sudden. :giggle: Not making any predictions, but the world is better off without this dude.

Was totally an illegal act of war, although Trump admin has a defense (that should absolutely fail in court)

But the idea that this will turn into WWIII is silly. Iran can’t beat us and they know it. And no other country wants to go against us either.

Iran can, however, cripple us economically. Which I expect they will do.

Was totally an illegal act of war, although Trump admin has a defense (that should absolutely fail in court)

But the idea that this will turn into WWIII is silly. Iran can’t beat us and they know it. And no other country wants to go against us either.

Iran can, however, cripple us economically. Which I expect they will do.

This whole ~illegal thing I suppose I agree with. You're supposed to go to Congress first. Should be the case regardless of what party the incumbent president belongs to. I guess we'll see what happens. For many of us, we don't particularly care about those that either object to the killing of a bad dude or the idea that we might target important cultural sites. I get that it goes against something we've previously agreed to, but what President Trump is saying isn't so outrageous.

This whole ~illegal thing I suppose I agree with. You're supposed to go to Congress first. Should be the case regardless of what party the incumbent president belongs to. I guess we'll see what happens. For many of us, we don't particularly care about those that either object to the killing of a bad dude or the idea that we might target important cultural sites. I get that it goes against something we've previously agreed to, but what President Trump is saying isn't so outrageous.

That’s not what is illegal about it.

We killed a general of another country. That is an act of war. All acts of war are illegal internationally, unless it is in self defense or voted on by UN.

Going against cultural sites is an attack against civilians. Again, another illegal act in international law.

Which, doesn’t seem like a big deal - but can have some huge ramifications for us internationally. Again, economics are a huge deal.

And that’s beyond the morality of what Trump is proposing.

But let's stop pretending morality isn't relative. These folks absolutely hate us anyway. It might be a simplistic view and no doubt, you are correct there will be consequences for what's gone on. We will have to see what the future holds.

But let's stop pretending morality isn't relative. These folks absolutely hate us anyway. It might be a simplistic view and no doubt, you are correct there will be consequences for what's gone on. We will have to see what the future holds.

Have you ever considered why these people hate you? It may have something to do with years of overstepping boundaries and dragging the big, sweaty ballsack of America all around the Middle East.

No one is debating that Soleimani was a good guy or not. He wasn't. But killing him, unauthorized, in a foreign country amounts to an assassination. Threatening attacks on civilian locations in Iran is classless, and actually doing it would be a war crime (but history books are written by Americans anyway so they would never admit that).

Imagine if Gen. Mark Milley and his convoy were bombed and killed in Canada by the Iranian military because some rogue American militants (who may or may not have support from the American government) were attacking the US Embassy in Ottawa? Oh man. The nukes would have gone off by now.

Have you ever considered why these people hate you? It may have something to do with years of overstepping boundaries and dragging the big, sweaty ballsack of America all around the Middle East.

No one is debating that Soleimani was a good guy or not. He wasn't. But killing him, unauthorized, in a foreign country amounts to an assassination. Threatening attacks on civilian locations in Iran is classless, and actually doing it would be a war crime (but history books are written by Americans anyway so they would never admit that).

Imagine if Gen. Mark Milley and his convoy were bombed and killed in Canada by the Iranian military because some rogue American militants (who may or may not have support from the American government) were attacking the US Embassy in Ottawa? Oh man. The nukes would have gone off by now.

Killing a killer or threatening cultural sites doesn't exactly equate to the fire bombing of Dresden. America has done horrible things in our history for sure. I don't think these recent developments are in league.

This is such a disaster. He’s so uninspired. :yawn:

It really is.

The party needs to take a look at the process that led to this.

The party needed to find itself a young charismatic candidate, that was a rebuke on all the nasty things Trump has been to this country.

Instead, we have three old white problematic candidates.

Mayor Pete could have been that guy despite the ineveitable Evangelical hostility. He should have tried to develop grassroots support rather than rely on the support of the millionaire class and healthcare industry.

Oh well that's why Bernie is there. He cant be bought!

3 hours ago, sneaky said:

Mayor Pete could have been that guy despite the ineveitable Evangelical hostility. He should have tried to develop grassroots support rather than rely on the support of the millionaire class and healthcare industry.

Oh well that's why Bernie is there. He cant be bought!

Meanwhile, people in my neck of the woods are complaining that Chasten had an event canceled at a gay bar in Providence due to the presence of a dancing pole, lol. Even though it's all basically hearsay, what in the world? 😂

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Meanwhile, people in my neck of the woods are complaining that Chasten had an event canceled at a gay bar in Providence due to the presence of a dancing pole, lol. Even though it's all basically hearsay, what in the world? 😂

Hmm...I mean wouldn't you look at the venue before you book it? 

There was another instance where he was trying to prove he had black support and his campaign took a stock photo of a woman in Kenya. So amateur. 

15 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Hmm...I mean wouldn't you look at the venue before you book it? 

There was another instance where he was trying to prove he had black support and his campaign took a stock photo of a woman in Kenya. So amateur. 

I love the new notification system! I'll never miss a post again. 

Yeah, that's very strange. It reminds me of what the Trump people did with actors posing as supporters for the website. 

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I love the new notification system! I'll never miss a post again. 

Yeah, that's very strange. It reminds me of what the Trump people did with actors posing as supporters for the website. 

I do like the new forum. Much more organized and professional looking

Speaking of Pete, this is the best interview of this cycle. The way the guy asks the question at 0:27. :lmao:

Also this Warren/Bernie fight is really dumb. I'm guessing what Bernie said was some variation of "sexism hurt Hillary Clinton and swing voters in key states prefer male candidates," which was the woke progressive thing to say in like 2017. It's not the same thing as saying the Democrats shouldn't nominate a woman.

Impeachment trial tomorrow! The rules have basically been announced. 1pm-1am for only two days and they will eventually vote on whether to even have witnesses I guess? :unsure:

I'm just going to leave this here and get the popcorn out. 

BREAKING: Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D) unleashed a scathing attack on Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in an upcoming documentary as her former 2016 rival sits among the top Democratic contenders in several early 2020 presidential primary contests.

"He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him. Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done. He was a career politician. It's all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it."

On 1/21/2020 at 10:08 AM, Drew said:

I hope you didn't put the popcorn away;

Tulsi Gabbard sues Hillary Clinton for $50M, claims defamation over 'Russian asset' remark

Democratic presidential candidate Rep. Tulsi Gabbard filed a defamation lawsuit Wednesday against Hillary Clinton seeking $50 million in damages, claiming the former Democratic presidential nominee "carelessly and recklessly impugned" her reputation when she suggested in October that one of the 2020 Democratic candidates is "the favorite of the Russians."

The lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, says it aims to hold Clinton and other "political elites" accountable for "distorting the truth in the middle of a critical Presidential election." It also says Gabbard suffered an economic loss to be proven at trial. (Source: NBC News)

On 1/21/2020 at 9:08 AM, Drew said:

The moderate wing of the party is full of it. Imagine if Sanders or Gabbard said they might support Trump over Sanders like Hillary insinuated. Not to mention when Hillary lost to Obama her supports stared a motto of PUMA (Party Unity My A--) They are just the same as so called Bernie Bros

I think we need a viable third party.

The right has gone so far extremist right and it looks like the left is going very far extremist left.  A moderate party in the middle is exactly what needs to somehow come about and become a fixture in all American politics.