Jump to content
idolforums.com
Drew

The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, RWG said:

 

Heinous, reckless, downright evil by the DNC. There is no defense of this. I seriously can't wrap my ahead around this, it's astonishing.

 

Quotes taken out of context, per usual by The Guardian.

 

1. The DNC wants to discourage moving primary dates - because we don't know when the threat will end. Instead, the DNC wants mail in ballots to be used and for states to extend voting days and places to drop off ballots. Ohio caused a significant problem. 

2. What the guardian is discussing are rules that already exist. The full quote says that States that push back may be able to file for a waiver. The rules and bylaws committee hasn't figured out how to deal with this situation yet. 

3. Again - Bernie Sanders needs to drop out. He is causing this commotion. He is putting people at risk. He literally needs to blow out Biden in EVERY SINGLE STATE to beat his delegate lead. (And Joe is about to slap Bernie around in Florida..) If Biden does not get the majority and Bernie takes it to the convention - then there is no way in hell Democrats will pick Bernie, after all of the bridges he has burned. Instead, he is hoping to use this crisis as a reason for his loss, and create hostility amongst his supporters and the DNC...again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

 

Quotes taken out of context, per usual by The Guardian.

 

1. The DNC wants to discourage moving primary dates - because we don't know when the threat will end. Instead, the DNC wants mail in ballots to be used and for states to extend voting days and places to drop off ballots. Ohio caused a significant problem. 

2. What the guardian is discussing are rules that already exist. The full quote says that States that push back may be able to file for a waiver. The rules and bylaws committee hasn't figured out how to deal with this situation yet. 

3. Again - Bernie Sanders needs to drop out. He is causing this commotion. He is putting people at risk. He literally needs to blow out Biden in EVERY SINGLE STATE to beat his delegate lead. (And Joe is about to slap Bernie around in Florida..) If Biden does not get the majority and Bernie takes it to the convention - then there is no way in hell Democrats will pick Bernie, after all of the bridges he has burned. Instead, he is hoping to use this crisis as a reason for his loss, and create hostility amongst his supporters and the DNC...again. 

 

Well then that's stupid. They should be encouraging moving primary dates so that fewer people get infected and die.

 

The memo said states that move their vote beyond June could face penalties. Whether that's a new policy or not, they included it in the memo they just circulated. 

 

I don't care what the score is. It doesn't excuse holding primaries today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

 

Quotes taken out of context, per usual by The Guardian.

 

1. The DNC wants to discourage moving primary dates - because we don't know when the threat will end. Instead, the DNC wants mail in ballots to be used and for states to extend voting days and places to drop off ballots. Ohio caused a significant problem. 

2. What the guardian is discussing are rules that already exist. The full quote says that States that push back may be able to file for a waiver. The rules and bylaws committee hasn't figured out how to deal with this situation yet. 

3. Again - Bernie Sanders needs to drop out. He is causing this commotion. He is putting people at risk. He literally needs to blow out Biden in EVERY SINGLE STATE to beat his delegate lead. (And Joe is about to slap Bernie around in Florida..) If Biden does not get the majority and Bernie takes it to the convention - then there is no way in hell Democrats will pick Bernie, after all of the bridges he has burned. Instead, he is hoping to use this crisis as a reason for his loss, and create hostility amongst his supporters and the DNC...again. 

 

Apparently, there are OTHER "reasons" for his loss

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

 

Quotes taken out of context, per usual by The Guardian.

 

1. The DNC wants to discourage moving primary dates - because we don't know when the threat will end. Instead, the DNC wants mail in ballots to be used and for states to extend voting days and places to drop off ballots. Ohio caused a significant problem. 

2. What the guardian is discussing are rules that already exist. The full quote says that States that push back may be able to file for a waiver. The rules and bylaws committee hasn't figured out how to deal with this situation yet. 

3. Again - Bernie Sanders needs to drop out. He is causing this commotion. He is putting people at risk. He literally needs to blow out Biden in EVERY SINGLE STATE to beat his delegate lead. (And Joe is about to slap Bernie around in Florida..) If Biden does not get the majority and Bernie takes it to the convention - then there is no way in hell Democrats will pick Bernie, after all of the bridges he has burned. Instead, he is hoping to use this crisis as a reason for his loss, and create hostility amongst his supporters and the DNC...again. 

Out of curiosity did you watch the video psterina posted about the Arizona election official quitting. It looks really bad for the party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sneaky said:

Out of curiosity did you watch the video psterina posted about the Arizona election official quitting. It looks really bad for the party.

 

I'm well aware of voter suppression issues. It's the biggest reason no one talks about for why Clinton lost. 

 

Again though, this is an issue primarily facing minority voters, so it doesn't impact Bernie's votes. In fact, it just makes it likely that Biden would have won by more. 

 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/01/ninth-circuit-arizona-voter-suppression-racist.html

 

Also, this is Arizona's doing - not the DNC's. And they are doing it now because they will do it for the General Election. Texas is doing this as well - because Joe Biden has put those two states in play for Democrats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RWG said:

 

Well then that's stupid. They should be encouraging moving primary dates so that fewer people get infected and die.

 

The memo said states that move their vote beyond June could face penalties. Whether that's a new policy or not, they included it in the memo they just circulated. 

 

I don't care what the score is. It doesn't excuse holding primaries today.

 

To when? They need a nominee by July. We could still be stuck inside until July..

 

Due process matters. These are the rules. They can't automatically change the rules. I'm sure they'll try to accommodate, but at the same time Mail in ballots are probably the best solution - if a primary is still running. 

 

Not following due process sets a precedent for Trump. "We can't vote today because of a National Emergency..." 

 

Again the score does matter.  There is literally no purpose to voting right now, other than a vanity project for Sanders and Gabbard. Instead of doing the right thing and dropping out, they're continuing. Putting the DNC, Voters and States in a difficult situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dow Jones erased all the gains made during the Trump presidency, today. It’s a bit of a psychological thing but this is pretty scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I do support Trump pushing for this . Probably making up for his moronic hoax accusations but to be fair it probably would have been close to this bad regardless when we're comparing with results from other countries.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/17/trump-coronavirus-stimulus-package/?fbclid=IwAR0fDa5D-aGEPxyPCHSK8D-DybDwgX_R9f2UR8x6JSxVdl4bMIocxliRPNY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sneaky said:

Well I do support Trump pushing for this . Probably making up for his moronic hoax accusations but to be fair it probably would have been close to this bad regardless when we're comparing with results from other countries.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/17/trump-coronavirus-stimulus-package/?fbclid=IwAR0fDa5D-aGEPxyPCHSK8D-DybDwgX_R9f2UR8x6JSxVdl4bMIocxliRPNY

100% agree. Definitely better than anything I thought he would propose. 

Edited by Smoochy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, sneaky said:

Well I do support Trump pushing for this . Probably making up for his moronic hoax accusations but to be fair it probably would have been close to this bad regardless when we're comparing with results from other countries.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/17/trump-coronavirus-stimulus-package/?fbclid=IwAR0fDa5D-aGEPxyPCHSK8D-DybDwgX_R9f2UR8x6JSxVdl4bMIocxliRPNY


I generally hate these stimulus packages from the Government, and I won’t be getting one of those checks anyway. Having said that, I’ve encountered some situations over the past week that lead me to believe drastic measures are needed. We’ve never experienced such a stark interruption of the economy, and everyone on the planet is affected in some way. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Elliott said:

 

 

 

Tulsi, is an amazing leader. In the face, of unprecendented opposition (DNC & MSM smearing & blackout), during her presidential campaign, she has demonstrated her leadership, and spearheaded the UBI effort (she was the one to introduce the legislation, for it), and now, the Republican president, is going to make it a reality. Seriously, let that sink in. Overall, not happy Biden got the nomination, overall, definitely not happy with Trump. I may sit the general out. This was not her time. She stuck to her word (as she ALWAYS does), that she would NOT run 3rd party. She will be president, some day. Her light is too bright, not to. We will ALL be recipients, of her leadership efforts, through UBI and future courses of action. THAT, I am sure of. Still, the best candidate, I've EVER seen

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, psterina said:

 

Tulsi, is an amazing leader. In the face, of unprecendented opposition (DNC & MSM smearing & blackout), during her presidential campaign, she has demonstrated her leadership, and spearheaded the UBI effort (she was the one to introduce the legislation, for it), and now, the Republican president, is going to make it a reality. Seriously, let that sink in. Overall, not happy Biden got the nomination, overall, definitely not happy with Trump. I may sit the general out. This was not her time. She stuck to her word (as she ALWAYS does), that she would NOT run 3rd party. She will be president, some day. Her light is too bright, not to. We will ALL be recipients, of her leadership efforts, through UBI and future courses of action. THAT, I am sure of. Still, the best candidate, I've EVER seen

 

 

So you want another Trump presidency? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2020 at 3:52 PM, mercfan3 said:

Sanders needs to drop. It’s ridiculous. He can’t beat Biden in delegate numbers, and is only going to put people at risk or hurt the DNC. 

He will, probably sooner rather than later. I think it's important he do so on his own terms though. He and his supporters don't owe the party anything and they definitely need to be united. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, *Chris said:

So you want another Trump presidency? 

The problem I have is, no one should be that cult-ish about a politician. They're not infallible, they make mistakes like anyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TeamAudra said:


I generally hate these stimulus packages from the Government, and I won’t be getting one of those checks anyway. Having said that, I’ve encountered some situations over the past week that lead me to believe drastic measures are needed. We’ve never experienced such a stark interruption of the economy, and everyone on the planet is affected in some way. 


I changed my mind. I’m opposed to the idea of the federal government sending checks to Americans to try to solve this problem, while nearly everyone is shuttered in their home. Of course, they’re going to do it anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, *Chris said:

So you want another Trump presidency? 

Im kinda undecided if I will vote for Biden either. It would be one thing if Biden were moderate economically but he's made the wrong choice on every decision. From the Iraq war, to bussing, to trades, to Anita Hill, etc. He's been no to bend to Republican will at the drop of a hat too.  At this point the difference between Biden and Trump basically is that Biden isnt a danger to outright ban abortion if RBG passes. And perhaps Biden will take baby measures on climate change. I dont believe the Corona virus is Trump's fault because other countries have fared just as poorly. Are they all lead by incompotent leaders?

 

The climate change and supreme court are important to me. But I was also speaking to a friend of mine. She wont vote for Biden. She says if people vote for him it will only lead the Democrats to believe they can continue to elect bad candidates until the end of time. She thinks maybe it has to get really bad until people actually decide to do their research and vote for better candidates. I cant say I blame her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:


I changed my mind. I’m opposed to the idea of the federal government sending checks to Americans to try to solve this problem, while nearly everyone is shuttered in their home. Of course, they’re going to do it anyway. 

Why? Do you believe it would cause everyone to have an apathetic, "welfare mindset"? I haven't looked into detail on what certain indsutries are doing but Im pretty sure a lot of people will be losing jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sneaky said:

Why? Do you believe it would cause everyone to have an apathetic, "welfare mindset"? I haven't looked into detail on what certain indsutries are doing but Im pretty sure a lot of people will be losing jobs.


No, that isn’t it at all. 
 

Some will lose their jobs. I won’t. How about you? The majority of people are still getting their paychecks, and will for the foreseeable future. But, we’re just going to send everyone (under a specified income level) a check when they can’t spend the money anyway, because they’re stuck in their homes. Those who lose their jobs will file for unemployment benefits. I’m not suggesting there isn’t something that can be done, but this is crazy, IMO. As I said the other day, I get nothing. Do I need it to get by? Honestly, I do not. I’ll be fine.The income levels are 75K for full amounts/95K for partial amounts. What about the family of 6 with a mortgage, car payments, and all those mouths to feed, with an income that barely exceeds that level? They are not living a life of luxury, and are likely living paycheck to paycheck.  The single guy who makes 75K gets the full amount, and probably doesn’t need it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


No, that isn’t it at all. 
 

Some will lose their jobs. I won’t. How about you? The majority of people are still getting their paychecks, and will for the foreseeable future. But, we’re just going to send everyone (under a specified income level) a check when they can’t spend the money anyway, because they’re stuck in their homes. Those who lose their jobs will file for unemployment benefits. I’m not suggesting there isn’t something that can be done, but this is crazy, IMO. As I said the other day, I get nothing. Do I need it to get by? Honestly, I do not. I’ll be fine.The income levels are 75K for full amounts/95K for partial amounts. What about the family of 6 with a mortgage, car payments, and all those mouths to feed, with an income that barely exceeds that level? They are not living a life of luxury, and are likely living paycheck to paycheck.  The single guy who makes 75K gets the full amount, and probably doesn’t need it. 


I think more than "some" will lose their jobs. There have already been massive layoffs in a lot of sectors, and they're only going to keep happening the longer this plays out. There are also hourly workers who aren't getting paid anything since they're working no hours right now, which is honestly just as bad if not worse than a flat out layoff since then you're stuck in limbo where you can't claim EI. As well, self-employed people aren't entitled to or qualify for EI benefits, so that's another major problem. Should you be punished because you're self employed?

Whether you like it or not, everyone needs help right now. The economy has ground to a halt, and it won't get any better if when we come out of this people have no buying power or are in mass insolvency due to situations out of their own control. I don't like senseless government spending, especially during good times, but this is a very bad time right now and is exactly when the government should be helping people. If you help stop the bleeding now the economy as a whole will be better set to recover once this passes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:


I think more than "some" will lose their jobs. There have already been massive layoffs in a lot of sectors, and they're only going to keep happening the longer this plays out. There are also hourly workers who aren't getting paid anything since they're working no hours right now, which is honestly just as bad if not worse than a flat out layoff since then you're stuck in limbo where you can't claim EI. As well, self-employed people aren't entitled to or qualify for EI benefits, so that's another major problem. Should you be punished because you're self employed?

Whether you like it or not, everyone needs help right now. The economy has ground to a halt, and it won't get any better if when we come out of this people have no buying power or are in mass insolvency due to situations out of their own control. I don't like senseless government spending, especially during good times, but this is a very bad time right now and is exactly when the government should be helping people. If you help stop the bleeding now the economy as a whole will be better set to recover once this passes.


I get it. Even though I won’t lose my job, my income is absolutely going to be affected by this. Actually, it already has been. I’m opposed to sending out these checks, but I hope it works. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, *Chris said:

So you want another Trump presidency? 

 

Nope. I do not.   But, Trump is going to rip Biden to shreds.  We are NOT in a good place, people. the DNC, is beyond corrupt, and I hate that. This is NOT a democracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...