The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Drew

People on the middle and left are a lot less likely to be anti vax though. If you're vaccinated you can still get the virus but you are a lot less likely to get hospitalized and the toll on the health care system is the issue right now.

Although there's been plenty of virtue signaling and hypocrisy  on both sides of this. Just get vaccinated unless you have a pre- existing condition. Then just live life and if its your time then its your time.

If you're not going to vaccinate then you better work out every day and only eat organic produce or you're just a fool and I don't take you seriously.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sneaky said:

People on the middle and left are a lot less likely to be anti vax though. If you're vaccinated you can still get the virus but you are a lot less likely to get hospitalized and the toll on the health care system is the issue right now.

Although there's been plenty of virtue signaling and hypocrisy  on both sides of this. Just get vaccinated unless you have a pre- existing condition. Then just live life and if its your time then its your time.

If you're not going to vaccinate then you better work out every day and only eat organic produce or you're just a fool and I don't take you seriously.

agree. there will always be breakthough cases but its beter to be vaxed than not 

There are plenty of people playing politics with this, but this treatment seems to be effective, if done early enough (I believe it’s a 10 day window). Apparently, this is what the White House doctors gave Trump. I applaud Gov. DeSantis for doing something innovative like this during a difficult time. I know it’s available in other states, but I don’t think anyone else is doing it like they are in Florida. Each of these 14 treatment sites (with more to come) can handle at least 300 patients per day, 4200 per day total, plus whatever numbers the various hospitals and clinics are doing. 

And it’s free to the patient (taxpayer funded, of course). 

Prevention is great, but the fact is, there are a certain number of people who are not going to get the vaccine. Moreover, we are starting to see reports of more fully vaccinated people not only testing positive, but ending up in the hospital. I hope the people playing politics with this aren’t stupid enough to not consider it, just because they hate DeSantis. Especially if they have pre-existing conditions. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Since many on the left have been persistently trying to change the subject back to covid, I’m curious what you all think about this video of Pelosi speaking to Democrat donors, who are all sitting shoulder to shoulder, whispering in each other’s ears, etc. Some of them are older. Looks like a “super spreader” event to me. California is having their own problems with covid right now. 

BTW, the only non-white people I see are serving the food. 

It's hypocrisy at its best and encouraged by useful tools. The obvious narrative change by the media after the damage had been done and the world laughing at Biden and America prompted me to stop in. I was surprised by the post you provided but not surprised the media has gone dark on the subject. I'd rip Biden right now, but honestly I don't think he's in charge of anything but the crayons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nutterbutter said:

It's hypocrisy at its best and encouraged by useful tools. The obvious narrative change by the media after the damage had been done and the world laughing at Biden and America prompted me to stop in. I was surprised by the post you provided but not surprised the media has gone dark on the subject. I'd rip Biden right now, but honestly I don't think he's in charge of anything but the crayons.

That may be the case with a lot of the domestic policy stuff, but it sounds like he made the Afghanistan decision on his own. I think they believed Biden could just be a figure head, and read off a teleprompter every once in a while, but that doesn’t work when we have a real crisis like the one in Afghanistan. 

This is humiliating. Now we know why everyone in the administration has been so cautious with their words when asked about the possibility of staying beyond August 31. 

—-

Taliban warns there will be consequences if Biden delays withdrawal of US troops. 

“....Taliban spokesperson Dr Suhail Shaheen said: "It's a red line. President Bidenannounced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that."

He added: "If the US or UK were to seek additional time to continue evacuations - the answer is no. Or there would be consequences.

"It will create mistrust between us. If they are intent on continuing the occupation it will provoke a reaction."........

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanistan-taliban-warns-there-will-be-consequences-if-biden-delays-withdrawal-of-us-troops-12388436

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

This is humiliating. Now we know why everyone in the administration has been so cautious with their words when asked about the possibility of staying beyond August 31. 

—-

Taliban warns there will be consequences if Biden delays withdrawal of US troops. 

“....Taliban spokesperson Dr Suhail Shaheen said: "It's a red line. President Bidenannounced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that."

He added: "If the US or UK were to seek additional time to continue evacuations - the answer is no. Or there would be consequences.

"It will create mistrust between us. If they are intent on continuing the occupation it will provoke a reaction."........

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanistan-taliban-warns-there-will-be-consequences-if-biden-delays-withdrawal-of-us-troops-12388436

Somebody is feeling pretty puffed up. I have no confidence this administration will handle this correctly. My guess is another pallet of cash dropped in the dead of night, ala O'bama and Iran. Now they will have our cash and our weapons. What a shit show.

They have this president over a barrel. Impeach this puppet already let's see heels up Harris negotiate with terrorist who hate woman.

This Sky News reporter claims he’s heard the actual number of US citizens and Afghan allies that need to be evacuated is at least 150,000, rather than the 20,000-30,000 number previously reported.

They don’t want us to know how many American citizens have been evacuated, or how many remain in Afghanistan.  Probably because the number evacuated is a small percentage of the totals they keep giving, because most of them can’t make it to the airport! I’d be willing to bet some of the people making it on to airplanes aren’t eligible to come to the US, or anywhere else for that matter. Hopefully, all of that is getting sorted out when they land in Qatar, Germany or wherever. There have been reported of the Taliban seizing IDs and passports from people who are legitimately eligible to come here or elsewhere.  

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

“...British officials at the airport in Kabul are warning of a spike in impersonations, forged documents and forged passports.

Ministers are saying this is why we cannot "open the gates" to allow anyone in without checks.“ 

Sky News understands that the US does not have any such checks, and people will be processed in the US on arrival....”

On 8/20/2021 at 9:00 AM, TeamAudra said:

I want to laugh, but at the same time, he is doing irreparable damage to the country right now. I think most conservatives are rooting for him to do better on this issue, but they have zero confidence he’s capable, and even less confidence in the people around him, if that’s even possible.  I suspect we could say the same about many Democrats at this point.  

You forgot the independents. He's taking a major beating with them.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, mercfan3 said:

How so? 

Media relations?  Nope. People won't care by Monday unless they are looking for faux outrage. He's already taken responsibility for what went wrong, but what went wrong has been highly overstated. In fact - I doubt you can point to specific issues that are supported by actual media. (Like, for instance, that post about Biden refusing to leave troops in is incorrect..) 

Seriously, Covid is still running our lives. And with school starting, that's where the medias focus is going to be. And public perception is on Biden's side there. Add too it that Biden's two huge infrastructure bills are about to go up for a vote - and no, I don't think this little media frenzy will last. 

Evacuation? It's not going as poorly as you are making like. I'm sure, according to Foxnews and conservative media, it's a mess. The airport is secure, they are processing thousands of people every hour and Biden has committed to getting every American out of Afghanistan. I'm sure there will be fake outrage if one American dies, but we'll get there when we get there..

This aged well....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nutterbutter said:

The silence on this thread speaks volumes. Much appreciation.

That’s because they can’t defend it. The one who tried hasn’t been back since. We’re not even seeing elected Democrats defending it in public (not even Kamala!). They know how to read polls, and they all know Biden is a clown. 

Edited by TeamAudra

36 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

That’s because they can’t defend it. The one who tried hasn’t been back since. We’re not even seeing elected Democrats defending it in public (not even Kamala!). They know how to read polls, and they all know Biden is a clown. 

At the risk of repeating myself, what's with his public statements? In the few that have happened and in interviews, he's so detached and appears unemotional. The reason many voted for him was that he's capable of empathizing with what they're going through. How about a little of that?? Or is it because he doesn't want to accept blame? Yes, the withdrawal was botched under his watch, but many presidents have made mistakes with respect to this country. But claiming you didn't make any, it would have been chaotic any way you cut it, people were going to die, etc etc - that's not what we like to see our elected leaders do... 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

At the risk of repeating myself, what's with his public statements? In the few that have happened and in interviews, he's so detached and appears unemotional. The reason many voted for him was that he's capable of empathizing with what they're going through. How about a little of that?? Or is it because he doesn't want to accept blame? Yes, the withdrawal was botched under his watch, but many presidents have made mistakes with respect to this country. But claiming you didn't make any, it would have been chaotic any way you cut it, people were going to die, etc etc - that's not what we like to see our elected leaders do... 

What makes matters worse, is it sounds like he was warned by everyone around him, and did it anyway. He thinks he’s the smartest person in the room when it comes to foreign policy, but he’s been a disaster for 40+ years. He was the only one in the room opposed to taking out Bin Laden several years ago. 

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

What makes matters worse, is it sounds like he was warned by everyone around him, and did it anyway. He thinks he’s the smartest person in the room when it comes to foreign policy, but he’s been a disaster for 40+ years. He was the only one in the room opposed to taking out Bin Laden several years ago. 

Well, he has been on the record as wanting to leave for a very long time, but when he was running this time around, many around him said he's been on the wrong side of every major foreign policy issue. A ringing endorsement if ever there were one, lol. The point is, he was always going to do this. At least Trump said it would be down to conditions on the ground and issued a stern warning if the Taliban tried to take advantage. I don't think these folks are scared of our new president at all. Some may think we're overreacting, but getting these matters right and preventing attacks on our homeland and other Western targets is probably the primary thing I expect our government to be proficient at. What is a nation if we don't prioritize our national defense and keep our borders secure? 

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

50,000 people have been evacuated in two weeks, and GOP fans are talking about incompetence. There's no point in arguing. 

Yeah, I was wrong about the media (and for the record, I wasn't talking about Fox. I fully expect Fox to carry on with this until 2022, as they did with Bengazi - which was an obvious nonsense political hit job. I just don't expect it to be nearly as effective as Bengazi, because those harmed the most will be Afghans - and Fox's base definitely doesn't actually care about them.) I underestimated ratings grabs. Although politicians on both sides of the isle are walking back their criticism of the Biden administration (and/or defending him), and articles are starting to come around..I'd still be willing to wager that this will be something Dems can campaign on in 2022. 

And for the most part, this doesn't seem like a topic many people actually care about. And those who do claim to care about it - are completely full of it. They didn't care when Trump released 5,000 Taliban, completely destroyed the refugee system, and withdrew 10,000 troops. Because let's be clear here, Biden is cleaning up Trump's mess. Trump's secretary of state negotiated this deal. And the new Afghan President is a guy Trump released. Anything to try and knock down the Biden administration, which has been solid - and has some legislation that has the potential to be transformational for this country. 

And just throwing it out there..at this point, more Americans died Jan 6th, but GOP fans would have you believe that was a legitimate protest. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 9:04 PM, TeamAudra said:

There are plenty of people playing politics with this, but this treatment seems to be effective, if done early enough (I believe it’s a 10 day window). Apparently, this is what the White House doctors gave Trump. I applaud Gov. DeSantis for doing something innovative like this during a difficult time. I know it’s available in other states, but I don’t think anyone else is doing it like they are in Florida. Each of these 14 treatment sites (with more to come) can handle at least 300 patients per day, 4200 per day total, plus whatever numbers the various hospitals and clinics are doing. 

And it’s free to the patient (taxpayer funded, of course). 

Prevention is great, but the fact is, there are a certain number of people who are not going to get the vaccine. Moreover, we are starting to see reports of more fully vaccinated people not only testing positive, but ending up in the hospital. I hope the people playing politics with this aren’t stupid enough to not consider it, just because they hate DeSantis. Especially if they have pre-existing conditions. 

LMAO, the major investor of this is one of his biggest donors. He's risking people's lives to help his friends get richer.