The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Drew

On 8/18/2021 at 10:00 PM, mercfan3 said:

How so? 

Media relations?  Nope. People won't care by Monday unless they are looking for faux outrage. He's already taken responsibility for what went wrong, but what went wrong has been highly overstated. In fact - I doubt you can point to specific issues that are supported by actual media. (Like, for instance, that post about Biden refusing to leave troops in is incorrect..) 

Seriously, Covid is still running our lives. And with school starting, that's where the medias focus is going to be. And public perception is on Biden's side there. Add too it that Biden's two huge infrastructure bills are about to go up for a vote - and no, I don't think this little media frenzy will last. 

Evacuation? It's not going as poorly as you are making like. I'm sure, according to Foxnews and conservative media, it's a mess. The airport is secure, they are processing thousands of people every hour and Biden has committed to getting every American out of Afghanistan. I'm sure there will be fake outrage if one American dies, but we'll get there when we get there..

Let’s check back on Monday and see how this ages. It’s certainly not heading in the right direction. I’m putting aside your spin and exaggerations for now, because I just don’t feel like having that sort of argument. We are not panelists on an MSNBC talk show.

I wonder whether Biden will take questions following his briefing tomorrow.

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

I don't know if I should put this on the funny thread or the politics thread so I am cross-posting on both (I hope that's okay). I think we all could use a little laugh once in a while. Things are getting tense these days.

Edited by season1

I want to laugh, but at the same time, he is doing irreparable damage to the country right now. I think most conservatives are rooting for him to do better on this issue, but they have zero confidence he’s capable, and even less confidence in the people around him, if that’s even possible.  I suspect we could say the same about many Democrats at this point.  

Edited by TeamAudra

It seems this administration messed up the Afghanistan withdrawal. My husband was livid when he saw what happened in Afghanistan. He said that they should have kept Bagram with its secure perimeter and two airstrips, and conducted the withdrawal from there instead of Kabul. He said that they did the whole thing backwards -- that they should have withdrawn the civilians first, then the equipment, then destroyed the bases after the military leaves. Instead they shut-down the military bases and withdrew most military personnel, and left at least 10,000 American citizens in the country. Thousands of Americans (civilians) are now potential hostages of a regime hostile to the US.

Instead of trying to cover their asses and pass the blame, I hope that the government should now focus on how to get our citizens out of that country and back in the US. The British paratroopers rescued their citizens; even the French military went and got their citizens from Afghanistan. The US should be able to bring in the necessary troops and resources to get our citizens trapped in that country, to safety. I hope this administration has the will to use the military in rescue mission.

The guy with the "mean tweets" said in his 1/20/21 speech: "The best is yet to come." He probably knew that things were about to get worse, much worse. But America has been through really bad times in the past and it still managed to bounce back and grow.

American political prisoners held in US prisons for months without being charged.

Millions of illegals entered the porous borders in just 6 months, and transported by the government to different red cities and red states without notifying the local governments.

Rising inflation and gas prices.

Forced vaccination, vaccine passports, and more restrictive mandates.

Continued censorship of conservatives on government-colluding social media giants.

It will get worse before it gets better.

Afghanistan was a preventable disaster and I feel really bad for our fellow Americans now trapped in that country, waiting to be rescued. They will be brought home, even if it takes years.

I am sad and disappointed about the disregard for freedom that many Americans are now exhibiting in their own country. Giving up freedoms for the empty promise of safety and security is how tyranny takes hold. Take a look at what's going on in Australia. It wasn't long ago that they let the government take away their guns.

Meanwhile, America's enemies, both foreign and domestic, want Americans divided -- Republican vs Democrats, vaxxed vs unvaxxed, black vs white, etc. It's easier to conquer and control a divided people.

Edited by season1

Here's a little bit of hopeful news:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/glenn-beck-audience-22-million-rescue-christians-afghanistan

Glenn Beck's audience raises staggering $22 million in 2 days to rescue Christians trapped in Afghanistan

Blaze Media previously reported that the Nazarene Fund is gearing up to extract approximately 5,000 people — mainly women and children — from Afghanistan as the newly Taliban-controlled country descends into violence and chaos.

During Beck's Wednesday morning radio show, the conservative firebrand and humanitarian urged his listeners to "give until it hurts" — and his loyal audience delivered beyond belief: Beck's audience donated even more than the $20 million goal by early Friday morning.

I do not like Glenn Beck but this organization seems to be working hard in rescuing Christians in the Middle East. I hope this rescue mission of Christians in Afghanistan is successful.

The general maybe (half) joking, but who knows now, with the current military leadership's priorities. ro1ld96.gif

Nonetheless, thank you British Special Forced for also rescuing American citizens (along with the British citizens and at-risk personnel).

Edited by season1

12 hours ago, season1 said:

It seems this administration messed up the Afghanistan withdrawal. My husband was livid when he saw what happened in Afghanistan. He said that they should have kept Bagram with its secure perimeter and two airstrips, and conducted the withdrawal from there instead of Kabul. He said that they did the whole thing backwards -- that they should have withdrawn the civilians first, then the equipment, then destroyed the bases after the military leaves. Instead they shut-down the military bases and withdrew most military personnel, and left at least 10,000 American citizens in the country. Thousands of Americans (civilians) are now potential hostages of a regime hostile to the US.

Instead of trying to cover their asses and pass the blame, I hope that the government should now focus on how to get our citizens out of that country and back in the US. The British paratroopers rescued their citizens; even the French military went and got their citizens from Afghanistan. The US should be able to bring in the necessary troops and resources to get our citizens trapped in that country, to safety. I hope this administration has the will to use the military in rescue mission.

The guy with the "mean tweets" said in his 1/20/21 speech: "The best is yet to come." He probably knew that things were about to get worse, much worse. But America has been through really bad times in the past and it still managed to bounce back and grow.

American political prisoners held in US prisons for months without being charged.

Millions of illegals entered the porous borders in just 6 months, and transported by the government to different red cities and red states without notifying the local governments.

Rising inflation and gas prices.

Forced vaccination, vaccine passports, and more restrictive mandates.

Continued censorship of conservatives on government-colluding social media giants.

It will get worse before it gets better.

Afghanistan was a preventable disaster and I feel really bad for our fellow Americans now trapped in that country, waiting to be rescued. They will be brought home, even if it takes years.

You raise a few very good points. In the past week, the countless interviews I've listened to with those that served have echoed many of these same sentiments about the way it was handled. 

Not to take it to a political place straight away, but considering President Biden has said for years he's wanted to leave, he was going to pull us out when he got in there. At least with President Trump, there was a conditions-based component and he issued threats to the Taliban as to what would happen if they immediately took advantage of the situation. I can't prove it, but I don't believe for a second he would have just sat back, disengaged and allowed these people free reign. I don't think folks are overreacting. The Labor Party in Britain is criticizing the way the United States handled this, the Labor Party! They're ...pretty liberal, lol. I've spent most of this week depressed about the situation and how we could have handled this in such a way. I hope we do the right thing by the Americans still over there and those thousands of people that helped us over almost two decades of war.

Based on the decades long history, in the words of a prominent commentator, there was never going to be a spike of the football in the end zone moment (a sports reference, you know those can't be my words lol). It's tough to take, but we sent our folks over there so we wouldn't have to fight terrorism on our soil and so they wouldn't have a safe haven to launch attacks from (that's obviously now out the window, it seems) and to that end, our military has done everything we've asked them to do. Our politicians botched this and history will reflect that. 

• Like 1

Watching the Pentagon briefing with Kirby and Taylor. My God, what a shit show. So many lies and inaccuracies, and the mainstream media journalists are calling them out on every one of them.  And it’s even more than that. They just ooze incompetency. One of these people somehow became an Admiral, and the other a Major General. Unbelievable. 

Edited by TeamAudra

@mercfan3has been notably absent over the past few days. 🤔

Anyway, here’s more on the dangerous situation at the airport. At the Pentagon press conference, both Kirby and Taylor basically denied this was an issue, and pretended they didn’t know the State Department is advising Americans against going to the airport. The media members in attendance called them out on it, to their credit. Unfortunately, they still failed to acknowledge any of it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

It’s even worse. Not only is the State Department advising American citizens against going the airport, they are telling those who are currently there to leave. Yet, at the Pentagon briefing less than an hour ago, Kirby and Taylor said it was fine to go to the airport. 

N7qaTfd.png

Edited by TeamAudra

The author discusses the sobering reality that thousands of American citizens may be left behind, because they can’t get to the airport, and because Biden probably doesn’t have the stones to put boots on the ground.   The scenario laid out is almost unthinkable, but certainly not unimaginable. 

———

“.....There’s also a rather stunning Washington Post report this week that claims Biden administration officials told Senate staffers there is “no plan to evacuate Americans who are still outside of Kabul, as they do not have a way of getting through the Taliban checkpoints outside the capital city.”

There it is. There's the truth. 

If you want to know why White House officials are being so evasive this week about whether they have a plan to evacuate all Americans from Afghanistan, it’s because they don’t. Worse, the White House is signaling loudly it believes the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan will likely end poorly for the many, possibly thousands, of American citizens trapped there right now.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The author discusses the sobering reality that thousands of American citizens may be left behind, because they can’t get to the airport, and because Biden probably doesn’t have the stones to put boots on the ground.   The scenario laid out is almost unthinkable, but certainly not unimaginable. 

———

“.....There’s also a rather stunning Washington Post report this week that claims Biden administration officials told Senate staffers there is “no plan to evacuate Americans who are still outside of Kabul, as they do not have a way of getting through the Taliban checkpoints outside the capital city.”

There it is. There's the truth. 

If you want to know why White House officials are being so evasive this week about whether they have a plan to evacuate all Americans from Afghanistan, it’s because they don’t. Worse, the White House is signaling loudly it believes the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan will likely end poorly for the many, possibly thousands, of American citizens trapped there right now.”

Thank you TA.

Circle back girl doesn't look too happy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nutterbutter said:

Thank you TA.

Circle back girl doesn't look too happy. 

Can you imagine having to stand at the podium and defend this? I’d resign first. 

Over the past few days, we haven’t had any defense of Biden and the administration in this thread, and I feel like it’s just me piling on. But, the reality is, the situation just keeps worsening. There is nothing left to gain by trying to defend Biden. He is done. The only questions remaining are whether he will attempt to serve out his term, and whether his party will try to force him out. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Since many on the left have been persistently trying to change the subject back to covid, I’m curious what you all think about this video of Pelosi speaking to Democrat donors, who are all sitting shoulder to shoulder, whispering in each other’s ears, etc. Some of them are older. Looks like a “super spreader” event to me. California is having their own problems with covid right now. 

BTW, the only non-white people I see are serving the food. 

Edited by TeamAudra