The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

This is just what losing looks like imo. I do give Biden credit for being the person to finally put their foot down and say enough to the insanity in Afghanistan. Either you stay there in perpetuity or someone eventually has to eat it, and neither Obama nor Trump had the courage, so here we are. Someone had to take the hit.

It will be interesting to see if these images restore Americans' view that every problem in the world is theirs to deal with morally. That is certainly the direction the mainstream press is pushing them.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RWG said:

This is just what losing looks like imo. I do give Biden credit for being the person to finally put their foot down and say enough to the insanity in Afghanistan. Either you stay there in perpetuity or someone eventually has to eat it, and neither Obama nor Trump had the courage, so here we are. Someone had to take the hit.

It will be interesting to see if these images restore Americans' view that every problem in the world is theirs to deal with morally. That is certainly the direction the mainstream press is pushing them.

Actually, Trump started the withdrawal and signed the treaty. An action of his, that, at the time made me go "Really, he did a good?" I don't think his reasoning was 100% good, but it was absolutely in line with his international ideology (not Biden's, actually), and I'd be willing to bet that he would be spinning this as a win. (As would Drew an TeamAudra..) 

But this was just crappy all around. Good on Biden for doing it. Evacuation went pretty smoothly today. Biden was wrong about the Afghan government holding up - but outside of that, this is just a media frenzy looking to find some controversy in Biden's presidency - that really doesn't exist. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Speaking of Desantis here's a petition to remove him.

Note FL has 21 million people so 65k signatures would not nearly be enough. I'm not even sure if the state constitution allows? But its amusing. 

https://www.change.org/p/florida-state-senate-recall-and-remove-florida-governor-ron-desantis

Most of the comments are old. The first ones that showed up for me are at least a year old. So, this has been up for a while. 65K Is the best they can do? Did you sign it? 😂 

Edited by TeamAudra

9 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

You two are unbelievable. 😆

DeSantis is doing a wonderful job and Afghanistan is all Biden's fault. But I'm the one that will go at lengths to defend my party. Okay. 

yeah I mean while its trus cases all around the country are going up and there are breakthrogh cases, right now Fl and texas have the most hospitlazations. is he even doing anything to help the overworked doctors and nurses. 

Edited by bswanson

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Most of the comments are old. The first ones that showed up for me are at least a year old. So, this has been up for a while. 65K Is the best they can do? Did you sign it? 😂 

No, its silly. It sets a bad precedent. But if this was a year ago with the new covid crisis here I bet there will be more to come

On 8/15/2021 at 7:35 PM, TeamAudra said:

I think Biden is going to need to level with the American people, own the situation, and attempt to lay out a plan to get us out of this mess. He has to bite the bullet. There is no other way. 

So... were you for the pull out when Trump started it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

So... were you for the pull out when Trump started it? 

They claim there were conditions that had to be met before final troop withdrawals. Some Democrats seem to have tunnel vision, and only focus on the issue of whether or not we should have troops there, when the larger issue here is the way the withdrawal was handled, the total lack of leadership from Biden, and the resulting fallout. I obviously don’t have access to all of the intel, as Biden does. He was warned this would happen, yet he ignored it. Based on that, I probably would have left the remaining 2500 troops there. We can only speculate whether Trump ultimately would have removed them. The bottom line is it has happened on Biden’s watch. It was his decision to make. “The buck stops here.” You seem to forget I’m not a Trump fan. I would have been just as critical if this had happened on his watch. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Is there anyone who doesn’t think this will get worse before it gets better? Democrats should think long and hard before continuing to defend this shit. I understand the reasons for wanting to stand behind someone you cast your vote for a few months ago, but there is nothing worth clinging to here. It’s totally indefensible, and the political fallout is going to be enormous. 

All of these journalists have friends and colleagues currently stranded in Afghanistan. That’s probably why they aren’t defending Biden, as usual. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Is there anyone who doesn’t think this will get worse before it gets better? Democrats should think long and hard before continuing to defend this shit. I understand the reasons for wanting to stand behind someone you cast your vote for a few months ago, but there is nothing worth clinging to here. It’s totally indefensible, and the political fallout is going to be enormous. 

All of these journalists have friends and colleagues currently stranded in Afghanistan. That’s probably why they aren’t defending Biden, as usual. 

How so? 

Media relations?  Nope. People won't care by Monday unless they are looking for faux outrage. He's already taken responsibility for what went wrong, but what went wrong has been highly overstated. In fact - I doubt you can point to specific issues that are supported by actual media. (Like, for instance, that post about Biden refusing to leave troops in is incorrect..) 

Seriously, Covid is still running our lives. And with school starting, that's where the medias focus is going to be. And public perception is on Biden's side there. Add too it that Biden's two huge infrastructure bills are about to go up for a vote - and no, I don't think this little media frenzy will last. 

Evacuation? It's not going as poorly as you are making like. I'm sure, according to Foxnews and conservative media, it's a mess. The airport is secure, they are processing thousands of people every hour and Biden has committed to getting every American out of Afghanistan. I'm sure there will be fake outrage if one American dies, but we'll get there when we get there..

• Like 2

They don’t know....

I saw a tweet that claims Milley said 300 of the 1700 evacuated in the last 24 hours were American citizens, but I want a better source before running with that. It wouldn’t surprise me, though. It’s very difficult to make it through the Taliban checkpoints and gunfire to get to the airport, and they are spread throughout the country. 

EDIT: Fox News confirmed the number of Americans evacuated in the last 24 hours is in fact only 300. 

We are going to be there for a while. 

Edited by TeamAudra