The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

3 minutes ago, sneaky said:

This is sad but it cant be an excuse to perpetually occupy Afghanistan. And its pretty silly that those on the right that were so gung ho about Trump leading troops out of Afghanistan are mad about this now.

Yeah it's a awful situation and I feel a terrible for the people in Afghanistan who will have to deal with living under the Taliban. But as you said we can't be there for forever and it's utterly hypocritical of the right as this was also their plan as well. So as shitty as it may be we just gotta suck it up and get our people out of there and move on.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t think any of the Democrat talking points will be effective this time.

I don’t think anyone will care. 

what’s interesting is that this was essentially a Trump decision, that right wing media is spinning. 

but of all the things Trump did - getting out of Afghanistan isn’t something I’m upset about. International policy is complicated and there was no right answer here. We should have never been in there..but 20 years later and the Afghan government literally just hands the keys to the Taliban - obviously it wasn’t ever going to get better. 

We gotta stop trying to “fix” countries. Helping in a human rights crisis (which this is about to be) does not necessitate taking over their government. 

It’s really sad, but it was going to happen eventually or we were just going to continue spending money there..

• Like 3

yeah agree with others what biden said is wrong but, no matter who the Preident is the same thing would have happened, even if the removal of the troops took more time once they were gone lets say a year form now the same thing would probably be happening. there was no win here.  

Edited by bswanson

I think it’s pretty clear the Democrats are going to need to find a different presidential nominee in 2024. This just isn’t going well. I think you all expected him to only serve one term anyway, but it’s looking like the plan of running Kamala isn’t going to work. Maybe they can try Bernie next time. 

13 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I think it’s pretty clear the Democrats are going to need to find a different presidential nominee in 2024. This just isn’t going well. I think you all expected him to only serve one term anyway, but it’s looking like the plan of running Kamala isn’t going to work. Maybe they can try Bernie next time. 

Somehow there's complaints about Governor DeSantis who is handling everything just right with respect to this issue. Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, Drew said:

Somehow there's complaints about Governor DeSantis who is handling everything just right with respect to this issue. Am I missing something?

I guess this is why we shouldn’t elect 80 year old presidents. Joe clearly is not in charge here. 

You know what I'm more frustrated about? Canada had troops in Afghanistan for quite some time too and lost unnecessary lives over there. But what the freak did we accomplish? Absolutely nothing. Billions of dollars wasted and now things are worse than before.

Evacuate our citizens. We probably owe it to focus on getting the local Afghani's who helped out troops to safety (it's our fault their lives are in danger). And then we have to stop sticking our noses where it doesn't belong. 

• Like 1

Biden should have taken some of the blame for what he said in July, but lets not act like its all his fault. we shouldnt have been there  this long anyway. and a legit quesiton here Trump also had a policy in place to have troops gone by May 1, what would he have done differently had he won the election, cause no matter what the Taliban were bound to take over like they did. 

• Like 1

Anyone who still thinks Biden is up to the job of being President is delusional, and the fact that he still has 3 1/2 years to go should be terrifying to everyone. I believe there are probably a sizable number of Democrats who wouldn’t mind if he had to step down for “medical reasons.” 

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Anyone who still thinks Biden is up to the job of being President is delusional, and the fact that he still has 3 1/2 years to go should be terrifying to everyone. I believe there are probably a sizable number of Democrats who wouldn’t mind if he had to step down for “medical reasons.” 

Why? His speech was phenomenal. He took the blame, and set out realistic goals. You have a lot of posts here calling this terrible but no explanation of what Joe did wrong, why he is unfit,  or what he should have done differently?

Did you want to stay in Afghanistan for another twenty years? Wasting money and resources. 

Fun fact, the Taliban president Trump  released is about to be the Afghanistan “president.” 

Conservatives need to stop laying this completely on Biden. This outcome is a direct result of another one of Trump’s messed. Trump released 5,000 Taliban prisoners. Trump signed a treaty with them. Trump pulled 10,000 US troops before leaving office. 

Yes, Joe was wrong about the infrastructure of the Afghan military- but if they weren’t strong enough to withhold the Taliban after 20 years, they were never going to be. And Joe is absolutely correct, why lose American lives and 

But, you know what..As much as Trump and Biden went about this with as much grace as a bull in a China shop, and as much as Trump was a little too pro-Taliban, it needed to happen. They cleaned up Bush’s mess, and America just needs to lick its wounds and not try to enforce Democracy on countries (especially when we barely have it ourselves) And I doubt the result would be different with any President. Biggest difference is that a GOP president wouldn’t do the right thing and take on Afghan refugees. 

What’s weird thought is you’ll turn around and praise DeSantis. hmmm..maybe trying to force schools to go maskless during the worst part of the pandemic for Florida is a bad idea. He’s gonna be responsible for the death of a lot of kids. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-5-000-students-quarantine-or-isolate-due-covid-single-n1276933

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Why? His speech was phenomenal. He took the blame, and set out realistic goals. You have a lot of posts here calling this terrible but no explanation of what Joe did wrong, why he is unfit,  or what he should have done differently?

Did you want to stay in Afghanistan for another twenty years? Wasting money and resources. 

Fun fact, the Taliban president Trump  released is about to be the Afghanistan “president.” 

Conservatives need to stop laying this completely on Biden. This outcome is a direct result of another one of Trump’s messed. Trump released 5,000 Taliban prisoners. Trump signed a treaty with them. Trump pulled 10,000 US troops before leaving office. 

Yes, Joe was wrong about the infrastructure of the Afghan military- but if they weren’t strong enough to withhold the Taliban after 20 years, they were never going to be. And Joe is absolutely correct, why lose American lives and 

But, you know what..As much as Trump and Biden went about this with as much grace as a bull in a China shop, and as much as Trump was a little too pro-Taliban, it needed to happen. They cleaned up Bush’s mess, and America just needs to lick its wounds and not try to enforce Democracy on countries (especially when we barely have it ourselves) And I doubt the result would be different with any President. Biggest difference is that a GOP president wouldn’t do the right thing and take on Afghan refugees. 

What’s weird thought is you’ll turn around and praise DeSantis. hmmm..maybe trying to force schools to go maskless during the worst part of the pandemic for Florida is a bad idea. He’s gonna be responsible for the death of a lot of kids. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/over-5-000-students-quarantine-or-isolate-due-covid-single-n1276933

The Democrat talking point clearly revolves around the decision of whether or not to remove the troops. That’s not the issue. It’s HOW the mission was carried out, and the fallout we are now seeing. There are probably 5 people who read this thread, so I’m not going to take the time to respond to your laundry list. It’s a waste of time.  You were right last year when you said we shouldn’t be electing 80 year old presidents. I can’t believe the lengths you will go to defend your party, even with something as indefensible as what we’ve watched transpire over the past few days. Even much of the pro-Biden mainstream media has been ripping him to shreds over this. 

“The buck stops here.” That’s great. In fact, that’s what I suggested he would need to do. However, he preceded to shift the blame, which made that line ring hollow. It’s going to be a long 3 1/2 years. I just hope he can hang on, because his replacement would likely be even worse. 

Edited by TeamAudra

11 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I don't mean to pile on, but yes. Crises have a way of exposing elected leaders and this was managed horribly. It was almost like it crept up on him and he had to be dragged to being engaged with it. The defense can't be, well we were going to leave anyway, what - did you want to stay? I'm no expert, but I don't know - perhaps sort out getting our folks out first, and the 20K+ folks that helped us over two decades of armed conflict? Who is going to say you can trust the United States now? We made a commitment to keep those that helped us safe and we need to keep our word. 

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

I don't mean to pile on, but yes. Crises have a way of exposing elected leaders and this was managed horribly. It was almost like it crept up on him and he had to be dragged to being engaged with it. The defense can't be, well we were going to leave anyway, what - did you want to stay? I'm no expert, but I don't know - perhaps sort out getting our folks out first, and the 20K+ folks that helped us over two decades of armed conflict? Who is going to say you can trust the United States now? We made a commitment to keep those that helped us safe and we need to keep our word. 

And then to not even stick around to answer a single question at his “press conference.” To be fair, I would have advised him to decline questions too, because that would have been a disaster. Having said that, it won’t get any easier, and they can’t hide him forever.