The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Drew

21 minutes ago, bswanson said:

well yeah you will still get it but more that likely  minor symptoms, just  like the flu shot you still get the flu but not as bad. he may have tested positive but hopefully the vaccine will keep him out of the hospital. from what doctors and others have said the fully vaccinated that get it so far have mostly only  shown minor symptoms so that's good

Things are changing rapidly with this Delta variant, so I’m not ready to celebrate. Prepare for another year of politically motivated attacks and finger pointing when various states experience their next covid spike. We already know covid doesn’t respect borders, and once it starts circulating, it can’t be stopped. 

23 hours ago, RWG said:

I don't pretend to follow him closely, but every time he comes across my radar, it feels obvious he is playing to the "Covid's not a big deal" animus of the party's base. I also saw him in the gutter with some government researcher and the cruise ship companies over mandatory vaccinations. He's good at these types of fights and they probably help him nationally, but there's obviously far too few people vaccinates in his state. In know this sounds anecdotal, but that is the context for my observation of DeSanits.

There may be too few people vaccinated in his state, but the “at least one dose” number is basically at the national average. 58.2% vs. 58.3%.  My state (Minnesota) isn’t much better...59.1%. That probably isn’t nearly enough, and the case numbers are starting to creep up again. We got freaking hammered last Fall. I do not care much for my Governor, but I don’t blame him for that. No matter what we do, it’s seemingly going to run its course. 

These vaccination percentages are also skewed, because 12 and under are factored into population totals. 

Edited by TeamAudra

On a somewhat random note, I was talking about presidents with my parents and who some of their favorites have been and it reminded me of a quote I heard from someone on a podcast saying Biden isn't our first president not to have a great command of language but he has been the worst and I had to laugh. So I mentioned that and they kind of whined a bit and said, well who are the other ones? What do you all think about this? Clearly, President Trump was a barstool speaker and very plainly spoken and from time to time, it would grate a bit as he often wouldn't give specifics that I was used to. Most others did, so it really did seem to be a stylistic thing. Some say they would rather have someone with a positive vision for the country and accomplishments as opposed to being a fantastic orator. Do you think a bit too much is made out of having to speak well, as odd as it is?

9 hours ago, Drew said:

On a somewhat random note, I was talking about presidents with my parents and who some of their favorites have been and it reminded me of a quote I heard from someone on a podcast saying Biden isn't our first president not to have a great command of language but he has been the worst and I had to laugh. So I mentioned that and they kind of whined a bit and said, well who are the other ones? What do you all think about this? Clearly, President Trump was a barstool speaker and very plainly spoken and from time to time, it would grate a bit as he often wouldn't give specifics that I was used to. Most others did, so it really did seem to be a stylistic thing. Some say they would rather have someone with a positive vision for the country and accomplishments as opposed to being a fantastic orator. Do you think a bit too much is made out of having to speak well, as odd as it is?

It’s not really a priority for me, honesty. That’s clearly how Obama rose through the ranks so quickly. It obviously wasn’t based on any significant accomplishments. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, RWG said:

So, Andrew Cuomo.

He's done.  He needs to face the fact like Nixon did and resign. He's not going to be able to stay in office with his party behind him like Trump was. His dad would be so disappointed in him.

47 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Straight men are a weird breed. Willing to kill their career just to grab a handful of a__(Some of them)

Between Elliot Spitzer, Anthony Weiner, and now Cuomo, New York has their share of problems with politicians not being able to keep it in their pants. :haha: 

BTW, I haven’t watched CNN for a while, but this must be a little awkward for his brother, Chris. Does he talk about it on his show?

19 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

BTW, I haven’t watched CNN for a while, but this must be a little awkward for his brother, Chris. Does he talk about it on his show?

The fact that they still even have him on, holy moly. No, he hasn't talked about it. He certainly did give him some advice on how to handle it though. Ugh. 

On 8/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, TeamAudra said:

Between Elliot Spitzer, Anthony Weiner, and now Cuomo, New York has their share of problems with politicians not being able to keep it in their pants. :haha: 

I don't watch it either, but others noted that Chris did not even reference it the day the report came out, while the other CNN shows covered it as a lead story.

This week he's taking a "birthday week vacation," as one does.

• Haha 1

I wonder if the NY assembly would have agreed to drop the impeachment in exchange for his resignation, when his aim here is pretty obviously to dodge being charged and convicted so he can run again. He's intimidating and vindictive, and from a powerful and well-connected family. I guess we'll see.

On 8/10/2021 at 12:27 AM, RWG said:

I don't watch it either, but others noted that Chris did not even reference it the day the report came out, while the other CNN shows covered it as a lead story.

This week he's taking a "birthday week vacation," as one does.

When he gets back, he’s going to have to address it on air, or lose whatever credibility he’s has. 

Edited by TeamAudra

what at a way for NYC to get its first Mayor. 

Major difference between Democrats and the GOP is Democrats hold their politicians responsible for their crap. (Not including the Bernie Bros who are still upset about Franken and continue to harass Kristen Gillibrand about it…)

DeSantis has returned to horrible human being or someone without a clue. (Pick one, I guess) He’s losing his shot at President right now. For the life of me. I don’t understand the fight against medical science. Delta may not have boundaries but there are things you can do to limit the spread..and mandating no masks isn’t it. 

Data after the 300$ child credit shows significantly less child hunger. If he can make it permanent, this may end up being the defining legislation of Biden’s presidency..and if he plays it up, it’ll be hard to beat in 2024.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/12/child-tax-credit-hunger-rates-504258

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 1

I was just at Mall of America. Place was packed. Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot (why I tend to avoid going there, even though it’s less than 10 minutes from my house). They have signs everywhere saying masks are recommended for both vaccinated and unvaccinated, and my estimation is between 10-15% mask usage. Based on what we know, that means there were a lot of unvaccinated people not wearing masks. This is a decent representation of the population, in terms of age, race, and ethnicity. It’s also a popular vacation destination (although not as much now as it was pre-pandemic).

Edited by TeamAudra