The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

yeah true that what else could they remove. its just that its hard with covid. delta varient is making things worse, and the misinformed people are not getting the vaccine which will make things better. maybe instead of removing things just  put a message or something at the start saying this info has not been veririfed by cdc or something but then again you can show people actual facts and they still wont beleive you. 

Edited by bswanson

On 7/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, bswanson said:

i am of course for freedom of speech, but the only way covid goes away is getting more vaccinated. so how do we do that without limiting freedom of speech, cause one reason of lack of vaccinations is the misinformation online. 

COVID is never going away.  It's a Flu, and just like the normal flu, COVID will mutant time and time again.  The only thing that benefits you personally is that you are vaccinated against severe illness and hospitalization.  Other people being vaxed or unvaxed does not effect you at all.

This is the main reason I think people just need to do what they feel is right and not worry about what others are doing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ATX29 said:

COVID is never going away.  It's a Flu, and just like the normal flu, COVID will mutant time and time again.  The only thing that benefits you personally is that you are vaccinated against severe illness and hospitalization.  Other people being vaxed or unvaxed does not effect you at all.

This is the main reason I think people just need to do what they feel is right and not worry about what others are doing.

People like to be seen as doing the right thing on social media as simplistic as it sounds. It's exhausting. Make the best decision you can for yourself and your family. The end. 

DeSantis is getting beat up on social media for saying the vaccine is saving lives and urging Floridians to get vaccinated. They think he sold out. 😂 I know this is a very small, vocal minority of nutcases, but it’s annoying af. These are probably huge Trump supporters. I have news for them. If Trump was still President, he would be urging people to get the vaccine. 

Here’s are those comments: 

Edited by TeamAudra

yeah you are right its their choice, but the same people that refuse the vaccine for other reasons than a medical one,  will be the same people complaning about masks or restrctions. well i wont feel sorry for them, they made their choice. with every choice there is a consequence.

• Like 1

He’ll have no trouble raising money for a national campaign. 

BTW, I predict Trump (whether he runs again or not) will try to sabotage him, for whatever reason. There are already reports of friction. Trump usually eventually turns on his allies, when they are no longer of use to him, and Trump is no longer of use to DeSantis either. He does not need his endorsement, or his help in any way. He should avoid him like the plague. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

He’ll have no trouble raising money for a national campaign. 

BTW, I predict Trump (whether he runs again or not) will try to sabotage him, for whatever reason. There are already reports of friction. Trump usually eventually turns on his allies, when they are no longer of use to him, and Trump is no longer of use to DeSantis either. He does not need his endorsement, or his help in any way. He should avoid him like the plague. 

I think Republicans will have to pledge allegiance to Trump for at least as long as Trump lives. Heck I'd venture to say if a Republican criticized Reagan 35 years later they would be in big trouble. 

Its probably the same with Obama and Democrats too

There are actually legal arguments that intentional misinformation is a violation of Freedom of speech. It’s a huge problem right now, and causing significant harm to the country.

I don’t like him, but good for DeSantis for doing the right thing. Trump supporters eating their own..not surprising..at the end of the day, Trump supporters are the Bernie supporters of the right. 

edit: omg, that’s not at all how vaccines work. Yes, other people being vaccinated does impact vaccinated people. 

first, kids can’t be vaccinated right now - so people choosing to not vaccinate are directly causing harm to kids. 

second, the delta variant is spreading like wildfire because of people who are not vaccinated. Something moving that fast has the potential to mutate into something the vaccine doesn’t prevent.

third, the vaccine is 96% effective,  and 98% effective against getting seriously ill. That’s not 100%, and it leaves people with autoimmune issues very vulnerable. 

vaccines are as much about doing your part in society, as it is about helping yourself individually. It’s like wearing a seatbelt or not doing your part in the group project. 

and I’m saying that as someone who is vaccinated, lives in a state with a high rate of vaccinations, and is unlikely to be impacted by anti-vaxxers personally. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

There are actually legal arguments that intentional misinformation is a violation of Freedom of speech. It’s a huge problem right now, and causing significant harm to the country.

I don’t like him, but good for DeSantis for doing the right thing. Trump supporters eating their own..not surprising..at the end of the day, Trump supporters are the Bernie supporters of the right. 

edit: omg, that’s not at all how vaccines work. Yes, other people being vaccinated does impact vaccinated people. 

first, kids can’t be vaccinated right now - so people choosing to not vaccinate are directly causing harm to kids. 

second, the delta variant is spreading like wildfire because of people who are not vaccinated. Something moving that fast has the potential to mutate into something the vaccine doesn’t prevent.

third, the vaccine is 96% effective,  and 98% effective against getting seriously ill. That’s not 100%, and it leaves people with autoimmune issues very vulnerable. 

vaccines are as much about doing your part in society, as it is about helping yourself individually. It’s like wearing a seatbelt or not doing your part in the group project. 

and I’m saying that as someone who is vaccinated, lives in a state with a high rate of vaccinations, and is unlikely to be impacted by anti-vaxxers personally. 

That’s twice in recent weeks you’ve praised DeSantis. You’re coming around! :haha:

5 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

agree with everything here. . the covid shot is like the flu shot, you can still get the flu but not as bad. the covid vaccine is also meant to keep hospitals from getting over crowded .and doctor after doctor will tell you this but some people would rather beleive facebook or twitter over medical professionals.  If someone refuses  the vaccine that is your choice as much as i dont agree with it, but at the same time i wont feel bad for them if their place of employment or state itself  makes them wear a mask. the company has just as much right to require a mask as the induvidual hs to refuse the vaccine. all choices have consequences. 

There’s actually a lot of uncertainty right now around the vaccine, and how much it protects those around vaccinated individuals, so I don’t think it’s wise for anyone to take advice from others on the internet, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Idolforums. I will say that I got the vaccine, believe it was the right choice for me, and leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

There’s actually a lot of uncertainty right now around the vaccine, and how much it protects those around vaccinated individuals, so I don’t think it’s wise for anyone to take advice from others on the internet, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Idolforums. I will say that I got the vaccine, believe it was the right choice for me, and leave it at that. 

There is a lot of false information that is knowingly and unknowingly past on daily and I do agree that you should not be getting your information from Facebook, Twitter and especially IDF 😂 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

There is a lot of false information that is knowingly and unknowingly past on daily and I do agree that you should not be getting your information from Facebook, Twitter and especially IDF 😂 

yes misinformation is one of the big reasons people arent getting it. some will beleive anything on social media even if its been debunked. and  yes we have freedom of speech but posting certian things can be dangerous too

Edited by bswanson

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

It appears that the vaccine is very protective against Delta (although not as much as before, and we may need a booster), and still highly protective at keeping you from hospitalization (97%)

but the catch is..if you catch Delta when vaccinated you can spread it as easily as if you hadn’t been vaccinated. (It’s just significantly less likely that you’ll catch us), which is why the CDC recommends people in high spread areas wear a mask, regardless of whether you are vaccinated or not. 

agree about not listening to Facebook, people should listen to the medical community, who say they should get vaccinated. 😉

On DeSantis..look, I’m just sick of crazy politicians. At this point, about 75% of the GOP and 25% (and growing) of Dems are absolute wack jobs. I’d love to get to a time where we could just disagree on policy..and not ridiculous things. There is no reason for Covid to have become political, and the fact that it did hurt us all. (Fun fact, anti-vaxxers started with the crazy left..) so if DeSantis is going to act like a rational human being, like Cheney, I’m gonna be happy about it for now. 😆

11 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

There is, it's too new for people to potentially be forced to give their children. I know I'm jumping the gun, but it's being talked about and when you're talking about a community of people that pose very little risk, we need to be pretty confident before we mandate them getting it. We don't have to even get into the amount of times people like Fauci have reversed themselves on various things throughout this entire ordeal. I would say to people, consult with your doctor and make the best decision you can for your family. I got the vaccine as soon as I was eligible because I'm a frontline healthcare worker and have had no side effects, am in a group that isn't likely to die from the virus were I to get it, the hysteria has been incredible. Is getting the vaccine generally better than getting COVID regardless of your age and health? Duh, yes! But the messaging on this has been so odd. You have people that were told it would take a small period of time to bend/flatten the curve and then folks went on to lose a year of their lives, we destroyed our economy, people lost their livelihood, many of them. Children lost out on meeting friends and being able to socialize at a very critical time and folks have become depressed and suicidal. Our leaders have given misinformation and wrong information. I think we're going to look back on this time and say much of this was unnecessary. People tend to have an effect on the folks closest to them, friends and family. Why not simply have the discussion with someone that's hesitant rather than yell at strangers online and say they're awful people who want to readily infect others when you don't know what you're talking about, quite possibly? In other words: your point - do what you believe to be the right thing for you and your family after consultation with your doctor, but understand the medical community is not infallible, everyone is learning together. 

Children catch it though. And if we continue to let it run through unvaccinated people, including kids..we risk mutations which either aren’t protected by the vaccine or which significantly harm kids. And it’s not like..a little risk. It’ll get there eventually. 

Gamma is the new one, and is apparently more contagious than Delta (and a lot of people attribute this one as the reason many on the GOP are flipping on the issue)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Children catch it though. And if we continue to let it run through unvaccinated people, including kids..we risk mutations which either aren’t protected by the vaccine or which significantly harm kids. And it’s not like..a little risk. It’ll get there eventually. 

Gamma is the new one, and is apparently more contagious than Delta (and a lot of people attribute this one as the reason many on the GOP are flipping on the issue)

exactly the reason fauci and the cdc  keep going back and forth with masks  for example is cause while the science is the same the virus mutates. so what might be right one day might change the next. we must adapt with the mutations  Drew you are right yelling at people wont encourge them to get the vaccince just make things worse.

Edited by bswanson

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I would hope the teachers would get the vaccine. My concern here is that if a few teachers do not get it, that it only tkaes 1 to spread it. if he/she gets covid but doesnt know it cause they have no symptoms go to teach and end up spreading it in the school, then you end up having multiple people out sick. like what happened with some schools last school year 

Edited by bswanson

17 minutes ago, bswanson said:

I would hope the teachers would get the vaccine. My concern here is that if a few teachers do not get it, that it only tkaes 1 to spread it. if he/she gets covid but doesnt know it cause they have no symptoms go to teach and end up spreading it in the school, then you end up having multiple people out sick. like what happened with some schools last school year 

Look, we are not going to be able to completely snuff out the virus. It is here to stay for the foreseeable future. The best way to protect yourself, according to medical experts, is to get the vaccine. Stop worrying so much about whatever everyone else is doing. I’m sure the vast majority of teachers have been vaccinated, but we now know that does not mean they cannot spread the virus. The important point DeSantis made is that if you are vaccinated, and get infected with the virus, the odds are overwhelmingly favorable that you will not become seriously ill or die, and he stated it in simple terms that everyone can understand. If someone doesn’t listen to that advice, they are assuming the risk, not you. 

Edited by TeamAudra

49 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Look, we are not going to be able to completely snuff out the virus. It is here to stay for the foreseeable future. The best way to protect yourself, according to medical experts, is to get the vaccine. Stop worrying so much about whatever everyone else is doing. I’m sure the vast majority of teachers have been vaccinated, but we now know that does not mean they cannot spread the virus. The important point DeSantis made is that if you are vaccinated, and get infected with the virus, the odds are overwhelmingly favorable that you will not become seriously ill or die, and he stated it in simple terms that everyone can understand. If someone doesn’t listen to that advice, they are assuming the risk, not you. 

yeah i do like that he is encouraging it.