The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Drew

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

So...I haven’t exactly been shy about my dislike for Trump, but I swallowed hard and voted for him this time, because I felt like I had to, and honestly, I’ll take take the conservative judges, lower taxes and less regulation he supported. If someone thinks that makes me a bad person, or even worse...a “racist,” that’s on them. My advice is to just ignore it. 

You get lumped in because by voting for him it shows that you care more about those three things than you do the massive white supremacy ideology he encouraged and made policies in favor of. 

I have no idea why the Republican Party has chosen to go down this path. They refuse to clean themselves of this and work for Black and Brown voters. 

They don’t have to be perfect. The Democratic Party certainly isn’t, but they aren’t out here encouraging Nazis and waving the confederate flag either. 

and it’s such short term thinking..does the GOP really think they are going to permanently keep Black and Brown people from voting? Because the truth is, ideologically- most Black people and people of color are moderate, and it’s the blatant racism of the GOP that keeps them from voting for the GOP. So if the GOP just cleaned up it’s act, they’d be able to make a case for those voters. At least enough of a case so that they don’t have to make laws preventing people from voting. 

But nope, they doubled down on the white supremacy. 

And because the Republican Party has done this, we can’t even debate policies normally. Like, we’re now disagreeing on whether everyone should have the right to vote, and on science..it’s infuriating. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

You get lumped in because by voting for him it shows that you care more about those three things than you do the massive white supremacy ideology he encouraged and made policies in favor of. 

I have no idea why the Republican Party has chosen to go down this path. They refuse to clean themselves of this and work for Black and Brown voters. 

They don’t have to be perfect. The Democratic Party certainly isn’t, but they aren’t out here encouraging Nazis and waving the confederate flag either. 

and it’s such short term thinking..does the GOP really think they are going to permanently keep Black and Brown people from voting? Because the truth is, ideologically- most Black people and people of color are moderate, and it’s the blatant racism of the GOP that keeps them from voting for the GOP. So if the GOP just cleaned up it’s act, they’d be able to make a case for those voters. At least enough of a case so that they don’t have to make laws preventing people from voting. 

But nope, they doubled down on the white supremacy. 

And because the Republican Party has done this, we can’t even debate policies normally. Like, we’re now disagreeing on whether everyone should have the right to vote, and on science..it’s infuriating. 

Honestly, this is the type of rhetoric I ignore. Far left, propaganda BS. 

BTW, nobody has ever, EVER accused me of being “racist,”  homophobe or any of those other things that get lobbed toward conservatives, for any reason, including my political leanings (which I mostly keep to myself, tbh). I just had a meeting with a woman who wouldn’t stop talking about politics, and she’s far left. I do not respond. My God, make it stop. 

• Like 1

I still am liberal in terms of better wages, better access to education better healthcare, equal rights, enviornmentalism etc. But I hate the way the Democrats and liberals has been trying to divide by identity increasingly often. Even Joe Biden saying that white supremacy is the largest threat to America today. Like...really?? I know one whole racist person and he's a poor old white man with cancer that lives in a trailer. I live in a mixed neighborhood myself. Minorities are not"hunted in the streets" like the rhetoric says

Edited by sneaky
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 9:55 AM, TeamAudra said:

Honestly, this is the type of rhetoric I ignore. Far left, propaganda BS. 

BTW, nobody has ever, EVER accused me of being “racist,”  homophobe or any of those other things that get lobbed toward conservatives, for any reason, including my political leanings (which I mostly keep to myself, tbh). I just had a meeting with a woman who wouldn’t stop talking about politics, and she’s far left. I do not respond. My God, make it stop. 

Yep. People tune out immediately, it's just noise. Ask folks to define white supremacy and how Trump somehow supports that? One of my childhood friends brings this up all the time, along with "fascist" and if we just stopped and asked them to elaborate and better yet, give an example or two to illustrate what they mean, it would be an interesting situation for sure. In 2021, I feel uncomfortable putting on a team jersey and saying "I'm a supporter of the Republican Party" (or Democratic). I'm an Independent and have been since I was old enough to cast a ballot. I recognize no single party has a monopoly on good ideas and I also recognize, people are complicated! Donald Trump is an imperfect man and was an imperfect leader. Hell, he may be one of the only one that let his ego get in the way of what was otherwise a winnable election (although my personal view is absent COVID, there's no way Biden would have won). That we won't know, but dismissing half the country is a severe misstep and trying to tar folks as sympathetic to white supremacy.....Holy moly. You're not giving your fellow Americans anywhere to go. It can't be - you're all awful. If that's your take, don't speak about wanting to unify and solve problems because you don't want that. We still need to live alongside each other and we'd be better served to have conversations about issues rather than personalities. I vote for the candidate based on the issues, not how they make me feel. 

4 hours ago, sneaky said:

I still am liberal in terms of better wages, better access to education better healthcare, equal rights, enviornmentalism etc. But I hate the way the Democrats and liberals has been trying to divide by identity increasingly often. Even Joe Biden saying that white supremacy is the largest threat to America today. Like...really?? I know one whole racist person and he's a poor old white man with cancer that lives in a trailer. I live in a mixed neighborhood myself. Minorities are not"hunted in the streets" like the rhetoric says

Thank you. The “racist” thing drives me up a wall. Are there racists in the Republican Party? Yes. Are there also some in the Democrat Party? Of course there are. Speaking of Biden, do we need to dig up some of the stuff he has said again? People who voted for him tend to ignore that, or it gets written off as just being careless with his words. 

And there is this, which was ignored here a while back when I posted it. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/joe-biden-didn-t-just-compromise-segregationists-he-fought-their-n1021626

t6bRe7r.png

And to be clear, I’m NOT a Republican. I’m just tired of the rhetoric used to demonize people who don’t fall in line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Thank you. The “racist” thing drives me up a wall. Are there racists in the Republican Party? Yes. Are there also some in the Democrat Party? Of course there are. Speaking of Biden, do we need to dig up some of the stuff he has said again? People who voted for him tend to ignore that, or it gets written off as just being careless with his words. 

And there is this, which was ignored here a while back when I posted it. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/joe-biden-didn-t-just-compromise-segregationists-he-fought-their-n1021626

t6bRe7r.png

And to be clear, I’m NOT a Republican. I’m just tired of the rhetoric used to demonize people who don’t fall in line. 

I think both Biden and Trump both say a lot of cringey things. They're men that lived through segregation so their worldview is never going to align with people under 50.

Although I agree with some of Biden's goals I hate the whole fear mongering about white supremacy. Since he's lived so long he knows the history He knows they have little  power in society anymore.

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

I think both Biden and Trump both say a lot of cringey things. They're men that lived through segregation so their worldview is never going to align with people under 50.

Although I agree with some of Biden's goals I hate the whole fear mongering about white supremacy. Since he's lived so long he knows the history He knows they have little  power in society anymore.

Of course they have. They’re both clowns. 

Do I think because someone voted for him they must be in favor of segregation, or agree with some of the stupid shit he has said? Of course not. They either voted for him because his policies are more in line with theirs, or because they hate Trump. A lot of people who voted for him don’t even like him that much. 

12 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Of course they have. They’re both clowns. 

Do I think because someone voted for him they must be in favor of segregation, or agree with some of the stupid shit he has said? Of course not. They either voted for him because his policies are more in line with theirs, or because they hate Trump. A lot of people who voted for him don’t even like him that much. 

Gasp, the very idea that someone possibly voted for Trump for the same reason. Many can't even process that. 🤭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

At the risk of sounding ageist, Clinton, Bush, and Trump were all born the same year and together represent 20 years of rule starting in the early nineties and going until the early 2020's. What the actual...that's crazy town! And the incumbent is older than all of those people. Eeeek. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

At the risk of sounding ageist, Clinton, Bush, and Trump were all born the same year and together represent 20 years of rule starting in the early nineties and going until the early 2020's. What the actual...that's crazy town! And the incumbent is older than all of those people. Eeeek. 

Second in line of succession is 81 years old, which is coincidently the age Biden will be during the next Presidential election. . 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, RWG said:

Sounds legit

Many liberals probably love this, but if Republicans were overstepping their bounds in this manner, they’d be squealing about it non-stop. Just go get vaccinated and STFU. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Many liberals probably love this, but if Republicans were overstepping their bounds in this manner, they’d be squealing about it non-stop. Just go get vaccinated and STFU. 

thats the problem though people read the misinformation about the vaccine and dont get it.  misinformation should be removed. 

Edited by bswanson

1 hour ago, bswanson said:

thats the problem though people read the misinformation about the vaccine and dont get it.  misinformation should be removed. 

As long as you get it, you should be fine. 

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Your team shouldn't matter.

When the pandemic first started, the position of public health communicators in the US gov't was that the virus certainly came from  a wet market (it's now investigating the lab theory) and that masks don't reduce spread (they did and do). At least with the latter, it was a case of deliberate disinformation, so we wouldn't buy up all the masks. So I don't know who they are to define disinformation or decide what opinions are ok to post, and to what means.

She also said being banned from one social media platform might merit your being banned from all of them. Why not at this point.

I think this problem will self-correct to an extent. It's sad that there is so much disinformation about the vaccines, especially in cases where people are getting gravely ill or dying unnecessarily. Realistically, if you want to return to normal unvaccinated, you're going to get it at some point. It's a very infectious virus. I think the holdouts who get sick or lose a loved one and notice their friends and family who got vaccinated having much milder cases, or not getting sick at all, they'll punt and get the vaccine. The science will win out because being sick is very unpopular.

• Like 1

As long as you get it, you should be fine. 

i did but what about the people that read the misinformation online and don't. it takes people getting sick or a loved ones dying for them to finally get it. you see the headlines all the time the covid deniers or ones that refuse the vaccine finally realize its real when they are in the hospital or a loved one died from it . it shouldn't come to that. by getting rid of misinformation it could save lives

42 minutes ago, RWG said:

Your team shouldn't matter.

When the pandemic first started, the position of public health communicators in the US gov't was that the virus certainly came from  a wet market (it's now investigating the lab theory) and that masks don't reduce spread (they did and do). At least with the latter, it was a case of deliberate disinformation, so we wouldn't buy up all the masks. So I don't know who they are to define disinformation or decide what opinions are ok to post, and to what means.

She also said being banned from one social media platform might merit your being banned from all of them. Why not at this point.

I think this problem will self-correct to an extent. It's sad that there is so much disinformation about the vaccines, especially in cases where people are getting gravely ill or dying unnecessarily. Realistically, if you want to return to normal unvaccinated, you're going to get it at some point. It's a very infectious virus. I think the holdouts who get sick or lose a loved one and notice their friends and family who got vaccinated having much milder cases, or not getting sick at all, they'll punt and get the vaccine. The science will win out because being sick is very unpopular.

yeah you are right, but its sad that it takes someone dying for others to finally listen. hopefully with the misinformation being removed it will also help 

Edited by bswanson

i did but what about the people that read the misinformation online and don't. it takes people getting sick or a loved ones dying for them to finally get it. you see the headlines all the time the covid deniers or ones that refuse the vaccine finally realize its real when they are in the hospital or a loved one died from it . it shouldn't come to that. by getting rid of misinformation it could save lives

yeah you are right, but its sad that it takes someone dying for others to finally listen. hopefully with the misinformation being removed it will also help 

If you’re OK with politicians and unelected bureaucrats deciding what constitutes “misinformation,” I guess there’s not much else I can say. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

If you’re OK with politicians and unelected bureaucrats deciding what constitutes “misinformation,” I guess there’s not much else I can say. 

but dont you think the stuff that has been debunked and proven false be removed..people read that stuff beleive  it and refuse to get the vaccine, then edn up getting real sick or dying. .  there were people that actually beleived the vaccine will alter your dna or that is has a tracking device and all the other myths out there . how else to you prevent that than remove the debunked articles, what else is thre to encourse people get the vaccine and that its safe. 

Edited by bswanson

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The problem is, it's an extremely slippery slope. In the same vein as what you said, I don't want big tech and the government deciding what I can and can't view. It's my job to due my due diligence and figure out whether or not the information bares any semblance of truth. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

The problem is, it's an extremely slippery slope. In the same vein as what you said, I don't want big tech and the government deciding what I can and can't view. It's my job to due my due diligence and figure out whether or not the information bares any semblance of truth. 

but some people arent as smart . they will beleive everything they read. like the covid stuff they read it alters your dna or it puts a chip in you and they beleive it and tell others. what do you do with them?

8 minutes ago, bswanson said:

but some people arent as smart . they will beleive everything they read. like the covid stuff they read it alters your dna or it puts a chip in you and they beleive it and tell others. what do you do with them?

That’s their problem. If it isn’t this, it would be something else. Government can’t protect them from everything. I do know a couple people who are choosing to not get the vaccine. They are not crackpots. These are intelligent, successful people, and I don’t think it’s because of something they read on Facebook. One is a conservative, the other a liberal, and happens to be a relative of mine.  

Edited by TeamAudra

I gotta say I dont really like the below, specifically this paragraph. If they monitor this what else are they gonna monitor?

Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages. The goal is to ensure that people who may have difficulty getting a vaccination because of issues like transportation see those barriers lessened or removed entirely.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/12/biden-covid-vaccination-campaign-499278

i am of course for freedom of speech, but the only way covid goes away is getting more vaccinated. so how do we do that without limiting freedom of speech, cause one reason of lack of vaccinations is the misinformation online. 

3 hours ago, sneaky said:

I gotta say I dont really like the below, specifically this paragraph. If they monitor this what else are they gonna monitor?

Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages. The goal is to ensure that people who may have difficulty getting a vaccination because of issues like transportation see those barriers lessened or removed entirely.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/12/biden-covid-vaccination-campaign-499278

Text messages? Jesus Christ. What would stop them from listening in on phone calls? 

i am of course for freedom of speech, but the only way covid goes away is getting more vaccinated. so how do we do that without limiting freedom of speech, cause one reason of lack of vaccinations is the misinformation online. 

I would rather have people be able to say anything short of fire in a crowded theater or the equivalent. Anything else would be far too scary. Should never be the job of big tech or government to tell us what we can and cannot say or view. In the same vein, if Nazis want to march, hey — go for it. It’s still America, you’re allowed to express your opinion, no matter how reprehensible it is.