The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Drew

On 6/19/2021 at 4:07 PM, TeamAudra said:

I mean...usually when someone is both a Yale and Harvard grad, they could be branded as an elitist, but he comes from blue collar roots and doesn’t give off that vibe. Plus, the military service helps a lot. He actually still serves in the Navy Reserve. Looking over his resume, I think if you could build a perfect Republican candidate, you’d end up with something pretty close to him. He still has to go through the long, grueling campaign, and withstand heavy scrutiny. We won’t know whether he can handle that until it happens. I’ve asked a handful of conservative friends and co-workers, and they all said he’d be their top choice. BTW, none of those people like Trump...at all. 

I feel like, most people are fine with conservatives but if you're conservative and also like Trump at least a bit, you're going to be shouted down. Hell, even if you're middle of the road and talk about some of the positive things associated with his record, you'll still get branded a villain. It's not exactly this all or nothing game, the idea that perhaps your views just aligned more with him than Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden is such a simple concept, yet too many will say -- WELL, you must agree with the comments on the Access Hollywood tape or when he called certain African countries sh**holes -- Uh, no? Whatever happened to lesser of two evils, none of these people are perfect so imma pick the one that hurts me the least? 

23 minutes ago, Drew said:

I feel like, most people are fine with conservatives but if you're conservative and also like Trump at least a bit, you're going to be shouted down. Hell, even if you're middle of the road and talk about some of the positive things associated with his record, you'll still get branded a villain. It's not exactly this all or nothing game, the idea that perhaps your views just aligned more with him than Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden is such a simple concept, yet too many will say -- WELL, you must agree with the comments on the Access Hollywood tape or when he called certain African countries sh**holes -- Uh, no? Whatever happened to lesser of two evils, none of these people are perfect so imma pick the one that hurts me the least? 

Yes, that is something he’ll have to deal with. It’s all politics, but it is what it is. Most of them will have to deal with it. The ones who don’t have no chance anyway. Even considering the toxic nature of Trump, I think he would have won that election if he wasn’t such an idiot. 

Edited by TeamAudra

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Yes, that is something he’ll have to deal with. It’s all politics, but it is what it is. Most of them will have to deal with it. The ones who don’t have no chance anyway. Even considering the toxic nature of Trump, I think he would have won that election if he wasn’t such an idiot. 

The unique position of your own ego making the difference between losing and winning. Holy moly. No one will ever convince me otherwise. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Liz Cheney continuing to make a strategical political decision that I think will pay off for her. 

Pay off in what ways?

Edited by TeamAudra

10 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Liz Cheney continuing to make a strategical political decision that I think will pay off for her. 

I mean, if she's wanting to win a Republican presidential primary in the near future, I would say probably not? 😅

10 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Pay off in what ways?

First of all, Legacy. I’m not surprised Donald apologists are trying to pretend that January 6th wasn’t a big deal. But it was an attack on American Democracy, orchestrated by the United States President. 

Assuming American Democracy wins - Cheney has positioned herself as the one Republican who loudly stood up against it. 

I also think she is betting that in four years, Donald won’t have the hold on the party that he does (for a variety of reasons), and there will be plenty of anti-Trump Republicans..she’s provided herself as the anti-Trump. 

Her political calculation is essentially, long term..it’s better to be the anti-Trump Republican. 

Interestingly, as much as I don’t like DeSantis..I have to wonder what he’s thinking right now. On the one hand, he has Joe Biden giving his state as much federal support as he needs. On the other side, he’s begging Donald to postpone his Rally after the tragedy. I’d be willing to bet that, deep down, DeSantis prefers working with Biden…

At the end of the day, Joe Biden isn’t hateable. He doesn’t make people foam at the mouth like Clinton. He puts an honest attempt into uniting the country and its politicians..regardless of how I feel about that, my guess is there is a lot of Americans that want what Joe Biden is attempting to do. If he’s successful (which he has already been..), you have a much less polarizing political atmosphere..where again..Cheney’s sanity and willingness to work with Democrats to do what is right, will be looked at positively.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

First of all, Legacy. I’m not surprised Donald apologists are trying to pretend that January 6th wasn’t a big deal. But it was an attack on American Democracy, orchestrated by the United States President. 

Assuming American Democracy wins - Cheney has positioned herself as the one Republican who loudly stood up against it. 

I also think she is betting that in four years, Donald won’t have the hold on the party that he does (for a variety of reasons), and there will be plenty of anti-Trump Republicans..she’s provided herself as the anti-Trump. 

Her political calculation is essentially, long term..it’s better to be the anti-Trump Republican. 

Interestingly, as much as I don’t like DeSantis..I have to wonder what he’s thinking right now. On the one hand, he has Joe Biden giving his state as much federal support as he needs. On the other side, he’s begging Donald to postpone his Rally after the tragedy. I’d be willing to bet that, deep down, DeSantis prefers working with Biden…

At the end of the day, Joe Biden isn’t hateable. He doesn’t make people foam at the mouth like Clinton. He puts an honest attempt into uniting the country and its politicians..regardless of how I feel about that, my guess is there is a lot of Americans that want what Joe Biden is attempting to do. If he’s successful (which he has already been..), you have a much less polarizing political atmosphere..where again..Cheney’s sanity and willingness to work with Democrats to do what is right, will be looked at positively.

OK, if her goal is to be less hated by Democrats, she has succeeded. At the end of the day, her last name is still “Cheney,” and she still has an “R” next to her name. It will not help her if she decides to run for President. Also, there are already plenty of anti-Trump Republicans. They just happened to be even more anti-Hillary and anti-Biden. It becomes about the major issues and party, when there’s a “binary choice.” Either party could nominate a convicted murderer, and I’ll bet they’d still get at least 40% of the vote. I’m not seeing a lot of excitement around the prospect of Trump running again. I think most conservatives would rather he just go away, and I’ll bet that includes DeSantis. 

Edited by TeamAudra

42 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

OK, if her goal is to be less hated by Democrats, she has succeeded. At the end of the day, her last name is still “Cheney,” and she still has an “R” next to her name. It will not help her if she decides to run for President. Also, there are already plenty of anti-Trump Republicans. They just happened to be even more anti-Hillary and anti-Biden. It becomes about the major issues and party, when there’s a “binary choice.” Either party could nominate a convicted murderer, and I’ll bet they’d still get at least 40% of the vote. I’m not seeing a lot of excitement around the prospect of Trump running again. I think most conservatives would rather he just go away, and I’ll bet that includes DeSantis. 

Her goal is to take control of the Republican Party.

she’d positioned herself as the anti-trump, with the calculation that at some point, being the anti-Trump Republican is going to play out well for her.

she’s not really less hated by Democrats. It’s more of a “whose the greatest threat”..and enemy of my enemy is my friend. Type of thing.

But she’s at least sane, and not anti-American Democracy, pro Authoritarian government, as the rest of the GOP seems to be. 

20 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Her goal is to take control of the Republican Party.

she’d positioned herself as the anti-trump, with the calculation that at some point, being the anti-Trump Republican is going to play out well for her.

she’s not really less hated by Democrats. It’s more of a “whose the greatest threat”..and enemy of my enemy is my friend. Type of thing.

But she’s at least sane, and not anti-American Democracy, pro Authoritarian government, as the rest of the GOP seems to be. 

That’s about as likely to happen as Joe Manchin taking over the Democrat party. We see people from both parties try to straddle the fence. It might keep them in office for longer, but it doesn’t help them gain popularity within their own party. I personally don’t care what she does. Since I’m not with either party, it’s inconsequential to me. 

28 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

That’s about as likely to happen as Joe Manchin taking over the Democrat party. We see people from both parties try to straddle the fence. It might keep them in office for longer, but it doesn’t help them gain popularity within their own party. I personally don’t care what she does. Since I’m not with either party, it’s inconsequential to me. 

Joe Manchin has taken over the Democratic Party 🤣. Not that Democrats like it, but he’s the most powerful Democrat in office. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Holy moly, you're giving one person a lot of credit. This might play well on cable news, but it falls far short of the legal standard "incitement." By the way, it's JULY and we're still talking about this. The only thing you could convincingly say is that he probably egged vulnerable people on and should have been more careful with his language. But we're going to pretend incendiary things haven't been uttered on the national mall for decades and decades? Maybe the calculation Cheney has made will work, I don't have a crystal ball but I think you might be more focused on what you want to happen as opposed to what is likely to happen. Time will tell though. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Joe Manchin has taken over the Democratic Party 🤣. Not that Democrats like it, but he’s the most powerful Democrat in office. 

Both sides have those. The Republicans have Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. 

Who’s your favorite Republican now...one of those two, or Cheney? 🤔 

Edited by TeamAudra

53 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Both sides have those. The Republicans have Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. 

Who’s your favorite Republican now...one of those two, or Cheney? 🤔 

Cindy McCain 😉

Seriosuly, murkowski. 

I get a kick out what Cheney’s doing, and I respect the political strategy behind it, as I really don’t think she’s doing it out of patriotism. But I think she’s terrible policy wise.

Murkowski is a real moderate. I don’t agree with everything..but she has positions I respect. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Cindy McCain 😉

Seriosuly, murkowski. 

I get a kick out what Cheney’s doing, and I respect the political strategy behind it, as I really don’t think she’s doing it out of patriotism. But I think she’s terrible policy wise.

Murkowski is a real moderate. I don’t agree with everything..but she has positions I respect. 

Is it fair to say you prefer Republican moderates to Democrats moderates? 

BTW, I don’t have a favorite Democrat. Having said that, I don’t really have a favorite Republican either (strictly referring to the Senate and House). :haha: 

Edited by TeamAudra

I noticed Charlie Crist has thrown his hat in the ring to try to unseat DeSantis. A quick scan of the comments from the left reveals that while they would like DeSantis defeated, they aren’t really fond of Crist, and would prefer someone else. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, TeamAudra said:

I noticed Charlie Crist has thrown his hat in the ring to try to unseat DeSantis. A quick scan of the comments from the left reveals that while they would like DeSantis defeated, they aren’t really fond of Crist, and would prefer someone else. 

I’m not really familiar with Crist, but just a quick search shows he’s a moderate.

”The Left” is a vocal minority with Dems - that’s why they never win anything. I’m sure their brilliant idea would be to run someone with policies similar to AOC and Bernie in a state where we need votes from Cuban Americans. Brilliant political strategy from that section of the Democratic Party.🙃

IMO it is unlikely DeSantis is beat. (But if so, Dems will need to run a moderate..Manchin type). It’s not 2000 anymore. Florida and Ohio aren’t swing states, they’re red states. Our swing states are Georgia and the Carolinas, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Texas pretty soon. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:05 PM, TeamAudra said:

Is it fair to say you prefer Republican moderates to Democrats moderates? 

BTW, I don’t have a favorite Democrat. Having said that, I don’t really have a favorite Republican either (strictly referring to the Senate and House). :haha: 

No, I don’t have a problem with either though. At the end of the day, I’m going to be in agreement with some of their policy ideas, and disagree with others. I wish Manchin would come around on the filibuster - not because I don’t see it’s value, but because he needs to recognize that the GOP will get rid of it whenever it’s convenient for them, so Dems shouldn’t handicap themselves. But most of the time, Manchin is reasonable and representing his constituents. I don’t have a problem with that. (Sinema appears to be a bit of a wack job though, but she’s no more annoying than Collins who had a big bark with no bite).

But I wish more Republicans were like Romney/Murkowski/Collins/McCain etc.. Because, for the most part, I find that they are not ignoring problems - rather they just have different solutions..and that debate is important. Like..state vs feds, or government vs private…those are reasonable arguments to have for policy solutions.

What isn’t reasonable is most of the GOP’s response to any problem..which is usually burying their head in the sand and/or figuring out how to personally profit. 

btw: I would have thought you’d like Manchin 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

I’m not really familiar with Crist, but just a quick search shows he’s a moderate.

”The Left” is a vocal minority with Dems - that’s why they never win anything. I’m sure their brilliant idea would be to run someone with policies similar to AOC and Bernie in a state where we need votes from Cuban Americans. Brilliant political strategy from that section of the Democratic Party.🙃

IMO it is unlikely DeSantis is beat. (But if so, Dems will need to run a moderate..Manchin type). It’s not 2000 anymore. Florida and Ohio aren’t swing states, they’re red states. Our swing states are Georgia and the Carolinas, Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Texas pretty soon. 

Christ was a Republican Governor of Florida from 2006-2010. Then he decided to run for the Senate in 2010, and lost the primary to Marco Rubio. He still ran in the general, but as an Independent, and got beat by Rubio again. He then ran for Governor as a Democrat in 2014, and lost to Rick Scott. He is currently serving his 3rd term in the US House as a Democrat. 

I’ve never liked him, even when he was a Republican. And the only reason he switched parties is because he lost an election. 

Edited by TeamAudra

W/o giving too much info, Crist is my local rep. He's had good numbers in my area but my area is bluer than 90% of Florida.  He hasn't really done much one way or another. I dont think he could beat Desantis

2 hours ago, sneaky said:

W/o giving too much info, Crist is my local rep. He's had good numbers in my area but my area is bluer than 90% of Florida.  He hasn't really done much one way or another. I dont think he could beat Desantis

Lots of beaches around there. That must be why Crist is able to maintain that amazing tan year round. I have him on my skin cancer watch list. 

I was curious about DeSantis’ baseball career, and did some digging. He was the captain of the Yale baseball team, and his Little League team made it to the Little League World Series. Anyway, a bunch of his former Little League teammates were recently interviewed, and they all said his goal was to be President even back then, and none of them are surprised he’s made it to where he is. Maybe nobody cares about this, but if there’s any doubt he’ll run for President, he’s been talking about it since he was 11-12 years old. 

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/03/10/the-ron-desantis-double-play-a-star-ballplayer-and-a-future-politician/

I could be oversimplifying here and it's been a few posts since anyone has touched on this, but most hardline conservatives I've talked to aren't happy Trump lost, but I think there is a sense of - okay, now we can return to discussing substantive issues as opposed to hurling surface-level, one dimensional attacks. While they feel good initially, I'd prefer to have the debate with someone why it's beneficial to keep taxes low for everyone (or not), for example. Tackle the world view and why you believe it's misguided on a given issue. The thing is, the petty attacks have come from both sides. There are folks that voted for President Trump that viewed it as a lesser of two evils proposition like all elections should be because, there ain't a perfect candidate ...ever. We (the collective we) would be making a mistake if we just dismissed 75+ million people as evil or just awful. No, you might disagree and think some of those people are misguided, but it would be a mistake to write-off half the country that votes. Have the conversations and you'd probably find broad agreement on priorities, it's simply a debate about process. #statingtheobvious 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:09 AM, Drew said:

I could be oversimplifying here and it's been a few posts since anyone has touched on this, but most hardline conservatives I've talked to aren't happy Trump lost, but I think there is a sense of - okay, now we can return to discussing substantive issues as opposed to hurling surface-level, one dimensional attacks. While they feel good initially, I'd prefer to have the debate with someone why it's beneficial to keep taxes low for everyone (or not), for example. Tackle the world view and why you believe it's misguided on a given issue. The thing is, the petty attacks have come from both sides. There are folks that voted for President Trump that viewed it as a lesser of two evils proposition like all elections should be because, there ain't a perfect candidate ...ever. We (the collective we) would be making a mistake if we just dismissed 75+ million people as evil or just awful. No, you might disagree and think some of those people are misguided, but it would be a mistake to write-off half the country that votes. Have the conversations and you'd probably find broad agreement on priorities, it's simply a debate about process. #statingtheobvious 

So...I haven’t exactly been shy about my dislike for Trump, but I swallowed hard and voted for him this time, because I felt like I had to, and honestly, I’ll take take the conservative judges, lower taxes and less regulation he supported. If someone thinks that makes me a bad person, or even worse...a “racist,” that’s on them. My advice is to just ignore it. 

• Like 1