The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

Once the Senate takes this up, it’ll be President Biden in office so …they’re not trying to convict not to remove, but to prevent from seeking public office again, a federal pension, etc. I’m not even sure how that would work. But I don’t think we’ll have to worry about it because I think he’ll be acquitted again and will still be able to run again should he decide to. Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can see the Trump supporters are as delusional as Trump here. Posting a bunch of fake conspiracy theories is pretty pathetic, but Trump knew he could manipulate his voters into this charade.  

I find it hilarious how Trumpsters (and Republicans in general) are just so used to cheating and bullying their way through life, that they simply can't fathom that 75 million Americans voted against

Me waiting for this groundbreaking evidence that has been posted about in this thread for well over a month that's going to win a court case and change everything.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Since I see we've decided to take this whole what you can/can't post to third party websites as a true distraction to the insanity which has been happening in the USA the past few weeks, allow me to try and divert attention back to the real important matters here.

Trump has been impeached again.

Thank you for being the real issue back at hand. 😘

Censorship is wrong that is a given, but the first amendment protect you from the government. The fact of the matter is that these third party companies have every right to suspend whoever they see fit. They don't adhere to the laws of the government when it comes to free speech. If a brand does not want to associate themselves with a certain individual they have every right. That's capitalism.

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

Censorship is wrong that is a given, but the first amendment protect you from the government. The fact of the matter is that these third party companies have every right to suspend whoever they see fit. They don't adhere to the laws of the government when it comes to free speech. If a brand does not want to associate themselves with a certain individual they have every right. That's capitalism.

Let’s see what the courts have to say about it first. 

• Like 1
Just now, TeamAudra said:

Let’s see what the courts have to say about it first. 

It's a slippery slope I do agree with that. I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Once the Senate takes this up, it’ll be President Biden in office so …they’re not trying to convict not to remove, but to prevent from seeking public office again, a federal pension, etc. I’m not even sure how that would work. But I don’t think we’ll have to worry about it because I think he’ll be acquitted again and will still be able to run again should he decide to. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Alan Dershowitz claims they can’t convict once they leave office. Not that they would anyway. 

Having said that, I don’t want him to run for office again anyway. In fact, I don’t want him involved in any way. He’s the definition of toxic. 

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

It likely doesn't pass the Senate, however if Republicans were smart they would vote to impeach. This would be their opportunity to ensure Trump stays far away from the GOP, which will allow them to start rebuilding their brand/image. Hardcore Republicans won't care about what has transpired since the election, however those swing votes are crucial to winning back the White House in 2024.

2 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

It likely doesn't pass the Senate, however if Republicans were smart they would vote to impeach. This would be their opportunity to ensure Trump stays far away from the GOP, which will allow them to start rebuilding their brand/image. Hardcore Republicans won't care about what has transpired since the election, however those swing votes are crucial to winning back the White House in 2024.

Season 4 Agree GIF by The Office

11 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Where the heck did psternia go

There’s nothing else to prove now that it’s official that Biden is the next president? I am surprised though as I thought they be around to keep telling us that something is going to happen or tell us that they told so about the events that took place... 

Decided to leave us for Parler and other sites similar to that one? 

But good question, I want to know! 

1 hour ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Agree with everything, but I can see some GOP senators voting in favour but will they? That’s the million dollar question. 

2 hours ago, Drew said:

i dont think they will convict either, but after  the events of last week would they nominate him if he ran again

2 hours ago, Drew said:

From what i see here, in order for any possibility the Senate would have to vote by 2/3 to remove Trump and then a second vote would be taken and half would have to vote to bar him from future office

https://abc7.com/can-an-impeached-president-win-a-second-term-in-2024-if-trump-resigns-he-run-again-25th-amendment-was/9568187/

Neither a second House impeachment nor even a Senate vote to convict Trump and remove him from office would prevent him from running again, in 2024 or beyond.

Rather, after two-thirds of senators present voted to remove Trump, a simple majority of senators present would have to approve an additional vote to bar him from the presidency in the future.

The Senate could not skip the conviction-and-removal vote that requires two-thirds of senators and go straight to the simple-majority vote for future disqualification, Ross Garber, an impeachment and political investigations lawyer who teaches at Tulane Law School, told CNN.

4 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

4 hours ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Since I see we've decided to take this whole what you can/can't post to third party websites as a true distraction to the insanity which has been happening in the USA the past few weeks, allow me to try and divert attention back to the real important matters here.

Trump has been impeached again.

He was never impeached. A vote "to" impeach is just a vote nothing more. Just more wasting our money and never doing anything of importance.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Nutterbutter said:

He was never impeached. A vote "to" impeach is just a vote nothing more. Just more wasting our money and never doing anything of importance.

Literally the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia article explaining what impeachment is:

"Impeachment in the United States is the process by which a legislature (usually in the form of the lower house) brings charges against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed, analogous to the bringing of an indictment by a grand jury. Impeachment may occur at the federal level or the state level. The federal House of Representatives can impeach federal officials, including the president or vice-president, with a simple majority of the House members present or such other criteria as the House adopts in accordance with Article One, Section 2, Clause 5 of the United States Constitution. Most state legislatures can impeach state officials, including the governor, in accordance with their respective state constitution.

Most impeachments have concerned alleged crimes committed while in office, though there have been a few cases in which officials have been impeached and subsequently convicted for crimes committed prior to taking office.[1] The impeached official remains in office until a trial is held. That trial, and removal from office if convicted, is separate from the act of impeachment itself. Federally, a two-thirds majority of the senators present at the trial is required for conviction under Article One, Section 3, Clause 6 of the Constitution."

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

Literally the first two paragraphs of the Wikipedia article explaining what impeachment is:

"Impeachment in the United States is the process by which a legislature (usually in the form of the lower house) brings charges against a civil officer of government for crimes alleged to have been committed, analogous to the bringing of an indictment by a grand jury. Impeachment may occur at the federal level or the state level. The federal House of Representatives can impeach federal officials, including the president or vice-president, with a simple majority of the House members present or such other criteria as the House adopts in accordance with Article One, Section 2, Clause 5 of the United States Constitution. Most state legislatures can impeach state officials, including the governor, in accordance with their respective state constitution.

Most impeachments have concerned alleged crimes committed while in office, though there have been a few cases in which officials have been impeached and subsequently convicted for crimes committed prior to taking office.[1] The impeached official remains in office until a trial is held. That trial, and removal from office if convicted, is separate from the act of impeachment itself. Federally, a two-thirds majority of the senators present at the trial is required for conviction under Article One, Section 3, Clause 6 of the Constitution."

Okay, you're right. It's a fancy word for a process by which they place a scarlet letter upon you. But without a conviction it looks like what it really is, just political theater. 

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Nutterbutter said:

Okay, you're right. It's a fancy word for a process by which they place a scarlet letter upon you. But without a conviction it looks like what it really is, just political theater. 

Everyone here knows I don’t like Trump, but not for a second do I think his speech on Jan 6th incited what took place later that day. In fact, there’s ample evidence that it had been planned over several days, mostly on Facebook and Instagram (owned by Facebook). Unless they’ve uncovered evidence that Trump was somehow tied to the planning and promotion of the storming of the Capital, they have nothing. 

Also...I know lots of people who voted for Trump. None of them would have been part of that bullshit. Where did these people come from? They are without a doubt crazy. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

That didn’t take long. :giggle:

lol really just like the Trump one since hes leaving office anyway this is a waste of time too with dems in full control of both chambers it wont go anywhere. 

51 minutes ago, bswanson said:

lol really just like the Trump one since hes leaving office anyway this is a waste of time too with dems in full control of both chambers it wont go anywhere. 

It’s coming from a member of Congress who is independently wealthy and won her first election with 75% of the vote. She’s just going to say and do whatever she wants. 

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s coming from a member of Congress who is independently wealthy and won her first election with 75% of the vote. She’s just going to say and do whatever she wants. 

Or do anything to please her base aka QAnon. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sneaky said:

I’ve seen similar on Twitter, from both the left and the right. Considering a certain percentage of the population is crazy, I don’t think it can be avoided. I think I’d be fine with getting rid of Twitter. 

Edited by TeamAudra