The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

7 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Oh, boy. I don’t have a subscription, so I can’t read the article, but that is a damaging headline. 

I archived the article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210828001537/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2021/08/27/joe-biden-has-blood-hands-presidency-will-not-recover/

Here's a copy:

Joe Biden has blood on his hands and his presidency will not recover

We are slowly learning the full extent of Joe Biden's culpability for the Afghanistan debacle

ByNick Allen IN WASHINGTON27 August 2021 • 7:00am

President Joe Biden pauses as he listens to a question about the bombings at the Kabul airportPresident Joe Biden pauses as he listens to a question about the bombings at the Kabul airport CREDIT: AP

Joe Biden now has not only Afghan, but American, blood on his hands. And it will stain his presidency forever.

Had the retreat from Kabul just been a shambolic mess his reputation could feasibly have been salvaged, slowly, over the next few years as attention returned to domestic affairs.

But the names of 13 brave US troops who died in Thursday's suicide bomb attack will be indelibly linked to the man who sent them there.

Kabul airport will be Mr Biden's Saigon. His Iran hostage crisis. His Watergate. And it is no one's fault but his own.

We are slowly learning the full extent of Mr Biden's culpability for the Afghanistan debacle.

There were those who opposed closing Bagram Air Base, which could have been used for evacuations.

The CIA told him the Afghan army might collapse to the Taliban in a matter of days.

Placeholder image for youtube video: 4X0Rum2DAoc

Retired General David Petraeus, who knows a lot more about Afghanistan than Mr Biden, and many others, told him to leave 2,500 troops in the country.

But no, the president didn't listen to any of them.

For political reasons, Mr Biden was determined to have everyone out before the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

Throughout this chaotic operation, and despite dissent from allies, he seemed to have an unshakable belief that he was right. As one national security official told me, Mr Biden believed it was "my way or the highway".

For nearly 50 years he has been wrong on a host of foreign policy issues. Now, we have a deadly new chapter in that long litany of failure.

Placeholder image for youtube video: 5Uc80I7V5sY

By chance, Mr Biden was in the Situation Room at the White House when news of the terrorist attack broke. It was about 9.40am in Washington.

As this dark day in US and Afghan history unfolded, Americans waited for the president to appear on TV and reassure the nation.

But hour after hour passed with not a word from the Commander-in-Chief. This was not how to show leadership in a crisis.

Eventually, nearly eight hours after the attack, Mr Biden shuffled into the White House East Room. He looked shattered.

His voice was hoarse, his eyes teary. There were long pauses as he spoke.

At one point an inquisitor from Fox News asked him if he felt responsible for what had happened.

Mr Biden clasped his hands and bowed his head as if in prayer. It seemed an age before he raised it again. Eventually he admitted, yes he was responsible.  But a moment later, he blamed Donald Trump.

Placeholder image for youtube video: sIaAYNVxHlU

He vowed to "hunt down" the terrorists and "make them pay," and that pledge will grab the headlines.

But, regardless of whether it happens, the events of Thursday have shaken his presidency to the core.

Republicans are calling for his resignation, impeachment, or removal under the 25th Amendment for being unable to discharge his duties. He is in freefall in the polls.

His presidency has unravelled astonishingly quickly, after just eight months.

"Should Biden step down or be removed for his handling of Afghanistan? Yes," said Nikki Haley, the Republican former ambassador to the United Nations. "But that would leave us with Kamala Harris, which would be ten times worse. God help us."

Elise Stefanik, a senior Republican congresswoman, said Mr Biden had "blood on his hands". Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader in the Senate said terrorists had been emboldened because "our politicians grow tired of fighting them".

What many, including Democrats, found most shocking about Mr Biden's disastrous handling of the Afghanistan withdrawal was that US intelligence was being shared with the Taliban.

It emerged that America has been relying on the Taliban to help prevent terrorist attacks at the airport, and to screen for would-be bombers approaching.

"We can’t trust the Taliban with Americans’ security," said Senator Bob Menendez, the Democrat chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

For Mr Biden the political repercussions of the Kabul atrocity are disastrous.

The idea that he could govern with some bipartisan Republican support is now lost. Some in his own party have come to see him as a liability. And the rest of the world is wondering what awful blunder will come next.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, season1 said:

This quote from Nikki Haley is how I feel about it too. We are screwed either way. 

.....Should Biden step down or be removed for his handling of Afghanistan? Yes," said Nikki Haley, the Republican former ambassador to the United Nations. "But that would leave us with Kamala Harris, which would be ten times worse. God help us”

• Like 1

I think a lot of conservatives are happy right now and hope to smell blood.

In reality most average Americans care little about foreign affairs. Most Americans cant even say who the Mexican president is or how their modern political system works. And their our neighbors.

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

I think a lot of conservatives are happy right now and hope to smell blood.

In reality most average Americans care little about foreign affairs. Most Americans cant even say who the Mexican president is or how their modern political system works. And their our neighbors.

It’s actually a combination of anger and disbelief, but of course they do want these people gone ASAP. I’m sure many who voted for Biden have buyer’s remorse right now. If you don’t, that’s just a reflection of your partisanship. 

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s actually a combination of anger and disbelief, but of course they do want these people gone ASAP. I’m sure many who voted for Biden have buyer’s remorse right now. If you don’t, that’s just a reflection of your partisanship. 

Come on the poll screenshots, the attention grab headlines you know that part of you is a little happy. Its true 13 Americans died in the bombing but 3800 died in a pointless war before this encouraged by Bush, Obama, and Trump. Those on the right had little to no outrage at that. The war has to end at sometime.

I'm actually probably less aligned  with Biden than you are with Trump. I philosophically and politically have little in common with mainstream Democrats. Heck, I didnt decide to vote Biden until three days before the election and didnt even vote for Hillary

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Come on the poll screenshots, the attention grab headlines you know that part of you is a little happy. Its true 13 Americans died in the bombing but 3800 died in a pointless war before this encouraged by Bush, Obama, and Trump. Those on the right had little to no outrage at that. The war has to end at sometime.

I'm actually probably less aligned  with Biden than you are with Trump. I philosophically and politically have little in common with mainstream Democrats. Heck, I didnt decide to vote Biden until three days before the election and didnt even vote for Hillary

Not even a little bit. I’ll be happy when he’s out of the White House, whenever that may be. 

Also, I am not “aligned with Trump.” I don’t even agree with him on this issue. I would have left troops in there. Perhaps he ultimately would have too. We’ll never know. 

Edited by TeamAudra

2 hours ago, sneaky said:

agree. we should have been out of there years ago. bush should have had a plan or obama, so its not all on Biden, if we would have been out of there years ago Biden wouldnt have ben in this mess 

1 hour ago, bswanson said:

agree. we should have been out of there years ago. bush should have had a plan or obama, so its not all on Biden, if we would have been out of there years ago Biden wouldnt have ben in this mess 

You keep missing the point. We all agree that it was a stupid war from day one. They had no clear goals and generals said in articles from past years "we haven't the foggiest idea what we're doing here"

But it wasn't Bush, O'bama, or Trump that failed to listen to his advisors or who was in charge of the withdrawal. That was Biden and his advisors.

The current political leaders who are in charge have made bad decisions regarding this withdrawal. The current political leaders are also the ones making decisions in this pandemic regarding your health. 

• Like 2

My thoughts...

As of a few weeks ago, we had only 2500 troops on the ground, no troops had been killed in 18 months, and the Taliban wasn’t running anything. Now, not only is the Taliban running the country, but other terror organizations will again have free reign to plot attacks on us from Afghanistan, and we’ll likely be in the dark, since we will no longer have a presence there. Furthermore, we gave them billions of dollars worth of aircraft, vehicles, tanks, artillery, and other assorted state of the art equipment. This is all in addition to the 13 members of the military who lost their lives, and the overall embarrassment internationally. Our allies were not informed. US Embassy staff wasn’t even informed. To top it all off, there will likely be American citizens left behind, in addition to thousands of Afghans who helped the US, and were promised we would get them out. Don’t even get me started on the humanitarian crisis this has created. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things here. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around all of it at once. It doesn’t end the moment the last American troops leave the country, and everyone in the world knows we have a weak President. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

Every time I read about the fallen 13, or see their story shared on TV or social media, I feel a deep sense of sadness and grief. When I think about the Americans and allies who will be left behind in that country, I feel sad and fearful for them.

I don't know anyone in my family who is happy about the Afghanistan situation. Many are sad and some are angry, especially the vets. 

Putting politics aside, I'd like to share this sincere action to honor the troops:

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, season1 said:

This is horrible. Lara Logan is a good journalist and I don't see a reason for her to make up this story. 

I can’t say I’m surprised about anything at this point. I’ve also learned not to believe a word of anything coming from Biden or the administration, so I’m left wondering exactly how many people will be left behind. That’s why the retired soldiers decided to take matters in their own hands, and fly to Afghanistan to rescue people. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I can’t say I’m surprised about anything at this point. I’ve also learned not to believe a word of anything coming from Biden or the administration, so I’m left wondering exactly how many people will be left behind. That’s why the retired soldiers decided to take matters in their own hands, and fly to Afghanistan to rescue people. 

Nazarene Fund and "Pineapple Express" are just two of the many efforts to get vulnerable people out of Afghanistan. They can't rely on the government to evacuate our citizens and allies. It didn't have to be this way. 

Edited by season1
  • Like 2

These stories are beginning to mesh. 

Another thing I want to mention. The other day, I wondered out loud if blackmail might be at play here, given that Hunter Biden had at least two laptops stolen from him. Oliver North floated that theory a bit ago. He said “never underestimate the power of blackmail,” without further explanation. He has contacts all over Afghanistan is really plugged into what’s happening on the ground. 

Edited by TeamAudra