The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

On 3/11/2020 at 6:36 AM, Drew said:

I didn't respond to your earlier post, but considering this one is very similar - let me say, I agree with you in regard to our overseas altercations that have lasted longer than many people turning 18 have been alive. That's perhaps my greatest area of agreement with Tulsi and that's why I have enjoyed her presence in the race and on the debate stage. I also agree with Bernie Sanders that income inequality, lack of affordable health care, housing, etc is a massive issue. All that said, the math is the math. Bernie underperformed his 2016 run, which was surprising to me and I wouldn't have predicted. Why that is, whether some of them back then were anti-Clinton votes, I'm not sure. But it's now clear that Biden will be the nominee. The states that are yet to vote all look favorable to him and the public has decided that defeating Trump and righting the ship remains the most important thing this time around. 

I've supported Democratic candidates and Republican ones. The majority of the time, my original choice hasn't prevailed. Your responsibility as a citizen isn't to throw your hands up and refuse to make a decision, or writing in a name. Because by doing that, you are making a decision. You're saying that four more years of President Trump is fine by you. Let me also say, I've also been there. Joe Biden wasn't my original choice in this election (Mayor Pete, then Bloomberg, now it's Biden). That said, if you look at the numbers, he's able to turnout white working class voters and African Americans that didn't show up in large enough numbers last time. He will serve one term, put together a competent team, choose a running mate that's capable of running the country and move to pass the torch to the next generation. I would just say, consider carefully before you decide to throw your vote away. 

Maybe I am, throwing my hands up in the air. I have crossed a line. Back in 2016, the DNC, was every bit as corrupt, and treated Bernie, the way that they're treating Tulsi (only they amped up their mis-treament exponentially, for Tulsi). I was beyond infuriated, then. Multiply that, many times.  I only voted for Hillary, because of the Supreme Court, and because, I didn't want Trump. But NOTHING changes, without deliberate stepping outside of the box sometimes. And that time, is now. Maybe things, just really need to get really bad, before people see, and change the system, by the sheer numbers of people, being fed up.  There is a movement RIGHT NOW, to change the 2 party system, and I'm going with that. I am sick of sheople, and their blindness, being led around like drones, and believing, what is fed to them.  Refusing to see, how this system holds the power, to put politicians into place, to keep the same old, same old, is madness.  They have their chosen one, already. It is rigged, and has been. The choice isn't between Democrat & Republican, the choice ….  is between warmongering corporatists, and, the people

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psterina said:

Maybe I am, throwing my hands up in the air. I have crossed a line. Back in 2016, the DNC, was every bit as corrupt, and treated Bernie, the way that they're treating Tulsi (only they amped up their mis-treament exponentially, for Tulsi). I was beyond infuriated, then. Multiply that, many times.  I only voted for Hillary, because of the Supreme Court, and because, I didn't want Trump. But NOTHING changes, without deliberate stepping outside of the box sometimes. And that time, is now. Maybe things, just really need to get really bad, before people see, and change the system, by the sheer numbers of people, being fed up.  There is a movement RIGHT NOW, to change the 2 party system, and I'm going with that. I am sick of sheople, and their blindness, being led around like drones, and believing, what is fed to them.  Refusing to see, how this system holds the power, to put politicians into place, to keep the same old, same old, is madness.  They have their chosen one, already. It is rigged, and has been. The choice isn't between Democrat & Republican, the choice ….  is between warmongering corporatists, and, the people

I'm not enthusiastic about this election now, I'll tell you that for sure. 

This is a political topic for sure that almost doesn't get talked about enough: It's TOO expensive to live. Like, how do people rent a place and actually afford it? Unless they have an advanced degree and get a great job. 

49 minutes ago, Drew said:

This is a political topic for sure that almost doesn't get talked about enough: It's TOO expensive to live. Like, how do people rent a place and actually afford it? Unless they have an advanced degree and get a great job. 

It absolutely is. Wages are stagnant for the most part and yet the cost of living keeps increasing. It's the exact reason my wife and I bought a house this past year. Our crappy 2 bedroom apartment kept going up and up which basically amounted to us lighting money on fire every year with nothing to show for it.

We were able to get a mortgage for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath brand new house with half an acre of land for 60 dollars more a month than what we were paying in rent (this includes house insurance as well).

Thankfully, I have a pretty secure job that pays well and I attended a trade school for computer repair that only cost around 2k a semester and most students only have to attend for 2-3 semesters before being certified to apply for a job that usually starts in the 37k-40k a year range. Not amazing money, but not bad for my part of the country (rural Tennessee).

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Do you live in Boston?

4 hours ago, Drew said:

In the heart of major cities its hard but most places 15 bucks is sufficient.

Unfortunately where I am a lot of people only make 10 or 11 an hour and that's simply not enough unless you have perfect luck. I think all companies with over 100 employees should be forced to pay 15 an hour. And even small businesses if you can't afford at least 12 an hour then you have no business being in business.

19 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Unfortunately where I am a lot of people only make 10 or 11 an hour and that's simply not enough unless you have perfect luck. I think all companies with over 100 employees should be forced to pay 15 an hour. And even small businesses if you can't afford at least 12 an hour then you have no business being in business.

Would you rather get $11, or have no job at all? If you force that company with 100

employees pay $15, they might have to lay some people off. As for the small business owner...all successful companies had to start somewhere, and if they didn’t exist, we would only have government jobs, for the most part (something tells me you’d like that). That’s a terribly ineffective way to argue for raising the minimum wage. Crazy Bernie talk. 

Edited by TeamAudra

5 hours ago, Drew said:

I know, right? It's an important issue

9 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Would you rather get $11, or have no job at all? If you force that company with 100

employees pay $15, they might have to lay some people off. As for the small business owner...all successful companies had to start somewhere, and if they didn’t exist, we would only have government jobs, for the most part (something tells me you’d like that). That’s a terribly ineffective way to argue for raising the minimum wage. Crazy Bernie talk. 

Crazy right wing talking point more like it. All you have to do is go grocery shopping. Publix is the most expensive yet they start at barely 8 dollars an hour. Target, Trader Joes and Aldi's all start at 12. They still have employees and lo and behold have cheaper prices.

You dont have to believe my anecdote though.

https://www.axios.com/minimum-wage-job-loss-predictions-not-true-dcda5eac-996d-4539-a07e-12933eef4bca.html

Axios used Bureau of Labor Statistics data to compare job growth rates in four states with low minimum wages vs. eight states with high minimum wages:

• Since 2016, when California became the first state to pass the $15 minimum wage law, all 12 states have seen growth in restaurant, bar and hotel jobs.
  • Three of the four states with job growth higher than the U.S. median have passed laws that will raise the state minimum wage to at least $13.50.
  • Three of the five states with the slowest job growth rates did not have a state minimum wage above the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour.

https://www.epi.org/publication/minimum-wage-testimony-feb-2019/

And if you've been to Walmart or fast food establishments lately you will notice self serve and checkout kiosks. They dont raise wages yet they are still kicking jobs to the curb in favor of automation. Pay your employees!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Do you live in Boston?

I do not. I live about 40 min outside it in a suburb. I love the city I was born in, but I would never live there unless I was filthy rich and even then, it’s kind of ridiculous. Best to reside outside it and commute. 

12 hours ago, sneaky said:

I’m reminded of what Richard Branson once said about taking care of your employees and they’ll take care of the customers. When you’re not stressed beyond belief about keeping a roof over your head, morale is going to be much higher and you can actually fully dedicate yourself to your occupation and not worry so much about these very basic requirements. 

10 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Remember Andrew Gillum?

Wow...

I'm guessing he won't be the VP pick, it's safe to say. LOL! ...What in the world is going on? :P 

Gillum claims he was just drunk, has never done meth, and had attended a wedding that night. He was allowed to return to his room. LOL. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was hanging out with friends or relatives, but we’ll never know for sure. Either way, this will definitely complicate things for him if he runs for office again. 

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Gillum claims he was just drunk, has never done meth, and had attended a wedding that night. He was allowed to return to his room. LOL. Honestly, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was hanging out with friends or relatives, but we’ll never know for sure. Either way, this will definitely complicate things for him if he runs for office again. 

I mean, it's definitely suspicious. Could he be telling the truth? Sure, but it does look pretty bad.

7 hours ago, Drew said:

I do not. I live about 40 min outside it in a suburb. I love the city I was born in, but I would never live there unless I was filthy rich and even then, it’s kind of ridiculous. Best to reside outside it and commute. 

This is basically it. People 25-35 want to live somewhere big and exciting, but if you want to want to keep enough of your paycheque to not have to live with roommates and eventually make a down payment, you're better off in a suburb or a B-  or C-tier city. In general, these kinds of places are becoming more millennial-friendly, while big cities are becoming increasingly gentrified and isolating. 

I rent my own place in a very expensive city, and my company treats me fairly with regards to pay, but it's still way too much... eventually I'll have to move on.