idolforums.com
*Amanda

SYTYCD Rankdown 3.0

24 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

I barely remember Showcase routines but her Jazz and Paso Doble were really good, and proved she should have lasted longer than she did. 

Not at the expense of Melinda and Robert. 😘

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Cristina outdid them during those three weeks 

11 minutes ago, .Rei said:

drag race choices GIF by Rupauls Drag Race All Stars

35 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Slay a little @*Wallace

Cristina danced a good Jazz routine and a very underrated Paso Doble. S7 robbed her.

I agree with that. I forgot her Jazz but I do remember liking it. I personally would have had her last longer too but like. Not in this Rankdown.

1 hour ago, .Rei said:

Wally with the taste :wub:

56 minutes ago, Deeee said:

Slay a little @*Wallace

Cristina danced a good Jazz routine and a very underrated Paso Doble. S7 robbed her.

I love when we all agree. :wub: 

3 hours ago, Elliott said:

lol I'm not even gonna bother debating with you as it leads us no where. :lmao: 

3 hours ago, .Rei said:

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

You ain't lying.

And I really like Robert and he's one of my favorites from that season too.

Jasmine Mason

Jasmine Mason is a dancer that somehow always makes it far despite not being really memorable. Jasmine was part of season 10 where there were much more interesting dancers and even a superior Jasmine. Jasmine M. is a jazz dancer that was the second girl eliminated during season 10. For the showcase, she was paired with eventual winner Amy Yakima for a Sonya Tayeh that was good and where I actually preferred Jasmine over Amy. 

She was then partnered with current Pro Champion Alan Bersten for a Travis contemporary that was pretty good and it was Jasmine's highest point in the competition. 

For her final routine on the show, Jasmine & Alan danced a Leonardo and Mirian Argentine Tango that was good too and it is making me realized that Jasmine had a good run up until that moment and didn't deserved to be eliminated 😶.

She found herself in the bottom alongside Jenna and Alexis, and somehow the judges made the poor decision of saving Alexis over her. Okay I changed my mine, Jasmine was kinda good and I promise next rankdown I won't target her early on, unless I forget again that she was good and we have to do this all over again. 😘

According to Instagram I see that she's still dancing and even appeared in a Frito Lay commercial with Anna Kendrick and danced with Pharell and Selena Gomez, so good for her.

Victor Smalley

Victor Smalley is a contemporary dancer that appeared on season six of the show. Victor was cut from the competition right before top 10 and finishing in the top 12. For the showcase, Victor danced a Mandy Moore contemporary group routine alongside Kathryn, Billy and Noelle which I've always loved. 

For the live shows, Victor was paired with Bianca where they danced two routines together before Bianca was cut. Their first routine was a Travis contemporary that was just okay. 

Their second routine was a Tyce broadway that was terrible and still give me the nightmares and rightfully send them to the bottom 3.

For the following week and after Bianca's departure, Victor was paired with Channing where they also danced two routines together. Their first one was an Stacey Tookie routine that was good but nothing really special.

Their second routine together was a Tyce Diorio jazz that was okay but again nothing special. 

The following week and after Channing's departure Victor was privileged to danced with underrated queen always robbed in Rankdowns Karen Hauer. Together they danced two routines, with the first one being a crappy choreographed hip hop routine by Laurie Ann Gibson where the choreography was so bad that there was nothing that the dancers could have done to save it. 

Victor and Karen's final routine in the competition was a sensational tango by Tony and Melanie that is still one of my favorite routines of the season and where Karen's performance was the reason the word SLAY was created  😘

Victor was ultimately eliminated during that week against the likes of Ryan and Nathan as was probably the right choice to go at that moment. After the show, Victor kept dancing and teaching and I believe Victor was a dancer coach for Ricky Ubeda and Logan Hernandez, so slay Victor :wub:

Looking at his instagram, Victor has gotten bigger, bulkier and hotter over the years so I invite you to take a look if you're interested.

Aww yay Rei, I'm glad you had a better change of heart with Jasmine M while looking back on her journey. She was my first fave of S10 an was bummed she left so early - so I'lll have fond memories of her from those days. 😛❤️ And at least she outlasted Alexis in this game, so I'm happy.

4 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Once @sublymonal posts his Hok and Serge write-ups, we can move on with the game.

I’ll post them tonight! 

Serge Onik

so you think you can dance dancing GIF

Serge was a ballroom dancer in the show’s eleventh season. He was the oldest member of the cast that season and had previous won a season of ASB here at IDF, so we all had high hopes for him going into the finals. Ultimately, he was unceremoniously eliminated at the Top 12 in a double elimination with his partner Carly, along with Teddy and Emily. The double elimination definitely marked a bit of a turning point for that season since most people felt that at least one of the eliminations was unjust. For me, Serge was my least favourite of the four. I don’t dislike him by any means but I do think that certain people around here overrate him based on his run.

In the showcase, he opened the show with a cha-cha with Brooklyn that really didn’t leave much of an impression on me. I remember much more about his routines with Carly.

in Week 2, he and Carly danced a Contemporary routine to “Latch” that was one of the standouts of the night. I felt a little like she did most of the dancing and he just stood there but it was still good. In Week 2, they danced a Luther Brown hip-hop to “Senile” (pictured above). Again, I felt like Carly got more down and dirty with it but I liked it from both of them. In Week 3 they danced another contemporary to Jewel’s “Foolish Games”. Honestly I forgot this routine happened. I think because Latch was better and more memorable whereas this was a Mandy Moore routine and what led to both of them getting eliminated. The night they got eliminated, they danced a Quickstep and even though it was Serge’s style, I felt like Carly held her own, which is why I was much more upset about her going home than him. I felt like she showed more versatility and I would have liked to see her dance with the all stars. Either way, I like Serge but I’m fine with eliminating him here rather than having him last too long like he has before in BCE.

I came out of the season preferring Carly to Serge as well, but I don’t see why everyone goes on about her being robbed or versatile considering she was in her style more than he was in his.

Hok Konishi

james corden GIF by CBS

Hok was a b-boy on the show’s third  season. He was eliminated at the Top 12 along with Anya after dancing with his partner, Jamie Goodwin, for all four weeks.    In Week 1, the two of them danced a Shane Sparks’ hip hop to Eve’s “Tambourine” and were safe during the results show. Needless to say I preferred Hok in this routine.

In Week 2, they danced a Jean-Marc and France Samba that was fine but not overly memorable, but they were safe again the next night. In Week 3, they danced the infamous “Chairman’s Waltz” Jazz piece by Wade Robson (aka “The Hummingbird”). It was a gorgeous routine that got high acclaim from the judges and they sailed into the Top 14. The next week they danced a pretty Waltz To Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel” that led to their first Bottom 3 appearance but they were saved by the judges, who instead eliminated Shauna and Cedric.

At the Top 12, he and Jamie danced a broadway routine and, again, found themselves in the Bottom 3. I was surprised when the judges chose to eliminate Anya over Lauren and Jamie, but not all together shocked when the eliminated Hok and kept Danny and Neil instead. Hok went on to have lots of success with his dance crew, Quest Crew on ABDC and choreographing for the likes of LMFAO. He’s also now a judge on CBS’s dance competition called the “The World’s Best” representing Japan so good for him.

5 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I came out of the season preferring Carly to Serge as well, but I don’t see why everyone goes on about her being robbed or versatile considering she was in her style more than he was in his.

because she was good in the hip hop and ballroom whereas he was mediocre at best in the contemporary and hip hop

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

She danced two Contemporary routines by this point (three counting Showcase week). The same amount of times Jessica Richens danced in her style by the Top 14. Just call yourself biased and move along. LOL.

2 minutes ago, Deeee said:

She danced two Contemporary routines by this point (three counting Showcase week). The same amount of times Jessica Richens danced in her style by the Top 14. Just call yourself biased and move along. LOL.

A. When have I ever said Jessica had a versatile run?

B. Though my posts have all been deleted, I said during the episode’s discussion thread that objectively Jessica had the worst run of the three.

C. I personally would’ve saved Emily for what it’s worth.

Carly deserved better. Three great routines across all three styles by Top 14. The same can be said for Serge, even if Carly seems more impressive.

Season 11 sucks.

Casey surviving that double elimination was reason enough for me to stop watching S11 live.

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

A. When have I ever said Jessica had a versatile run?

B. Though my posts have all been deleted, I said during the episode’s discussion thread that objectively Jessica had the worst run of the three.

C. I personally would’ve saved Emily for what it’s worth.

I was mainly bugging you. 😝

But my point being that because of the Showcase Week, most contestants of S11 had been comfortably in their style nearly three times by Top 14. By most contestants I mean all of the Contemporary/Jazz or cross-trained dancers. 

There is no justification for saving Emily after two weeks of utter failures. Her Salsa and Broadway routines are horrendous. And I love Emily. But there is justification to save her over Jessica.

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Casey surviving that double elimination was reason enough for me to stop watching S11 live.

Essentially.

I liked that Broadway

Teddy was my favourite so naturally I was biased towards Emily. 😘

Unsurprisingly, I agree with everything Dee said. :haha: 

Also, it's hard to compare the versatility of Contemporary/Jazz dancers to Ballroom, Hip-Hop, and Tap dancers because this show is so Contemporary/Jazz obsessed these days and there's a lopsided amount of routines in that style that are performed.