Megan's Lists 3.0

On 7/9/2020 at 7:49 PM, totes4totes said:

Glee: a show that tried to convince you Rachel Berry was more talented than both Amber Riley and Naya Rivera. In honor of Naya, here are my favorite Santana performances:

Santana's first non-ensemble performance (back when her character was intended to be straight!)

Like any dumb high school theater kid I loved Rocky Horror and I love this song and I love Santana's lips singing this song!

The Naya Rivera/Amy Winehouse songs:

(Reprised in Season 5! And it's great!)

THE FLEETWOOD MAC DUO:

More duets with Mercedes (RACHEL BERRY WHO?????)

And then all her songs with the Troubletones (a group that recognized that Santana and Mercedes were the best performers in all of Glee and could do way better than New Directions):

(Finn sucks.)

And then again this perfect masterpiece:

I was going to write here about how Naya Rivera and Santana impacted me as a young adult struggling to come out to myself let alone my friends and family. But I feel like I don't have the words to aptly express myself. And I keep writing these long rambling rants that in the end don't amount to much but rambling.

Naya Rivera was extremely talented. Moreso than Lea Michele or Cory Monteith or Matthew Morrison or Chris Colfer, she showed that Glee at its best could be charismatic, electrifying, witty, sharp, and poignant. Santana was supposed to be a background character. Somebody who'd make one off jokes or biting comments at the expense of other characters. She was supposed to be Quinn's backup. With a less talented actress maybe she would have been. But Naya Rivera's talent could not be stopped. By the second half of the first season she'd fully broken out getting a more fleshed out character and her own performances. By season 2 she was promoted to regular.

Naya Rivera pushed for Santana the character as hard as fans pushed for Brittana to stop being throwaway lines and a full-fledged canonical romances. This lead to one of the shows best and emotionally satisfying character arcs and stories and one that was portrayed with such aplomb. It takes real talent to portray a character like Santana and make her not only likable but unlikable at the same time. She was an antagonist and she was a hero. She was one of the first queer Latinas to be shown on television. Her story was one of the most major coming out stories in Primetime television. I'd wager that for a lot of queer millennial women, Santana Lopez was the first time they'd see themselves portrayed on television. Or at least aspects of themselves. It wouldn't be an understatement to say that Santana Lopez saved queer lives and that a whole generation of queer women were shaped and influenced by Santana in a way that we won't (for both good and bad) see again.

And Naya Rivera embraced this role. She didn't shy away from interviews about what it was like playing a lesbian on a popular tv show. She didn't seem to want to distance herself from this role in fear that she'd be typecast as a lesbian for the rest of her life. In fact she worked to LGBTQ+ charities like the Trevor Project. She was proud of being able to portray Santana in a way that touched a lot of people. It may seem flippant to focus on this aspect of Naya Rivera's life because she's not Santana but her incredible talent in both acting and singing were constantly on full display as Santana. And it's a role that she pushed for to be treated with the same respect and care as Kurt's story or Rachel's story.

In a just world, Naya would have been recognized as the de facto star of Glee. The show would have followed Santana's journey as much as it had followed Rachel Berry's dreams of stardom. In a just world, Naya Rivera would have been able to get herself onto the boat after she saved her son. What this world has shown us, even in just this past year, is that the world isn't just. It isn't fair. It seems selfish to mourn a celebrity so publicly when she had a son and family that she loved and loved her so much. But Naya's performance of "Rumor Has It/Someone Like You" is something I still think about. "Someone Like You" is my favorite Adele song because of Naya Rivera's performance. I remember talking to my (straight) friends who watched Glee after that episode gushing about Santana and her character. I still refuse to watch Ryan Murphy shows for how poorly the episode after Finn outed Santana was handled.

We are lucky that we got to see Naya Rivera's full talent in 113 episodes of Glee. That we get all her solos. That Youtube has made it as easy as having a device with a screen to remember her best moments.

I feel for Naya's family and friends. I grieve with her many fans also sharing this heartbreaking moment. And I can only take peace that she was able to use her last moments to save her son and that her family will hopefully be able to have closure.

In the end I still wrote a long rant but I feel at least it makes sense this time.

Edited by totes4totes
  • Sad 1

On 7/13/2020 at 7:33 PM, totes4totes said:

I can’t believe I’m going to watch all of Glee. I hate this.

THE THINGS I DO TO COPE WITH MY GRIEF.

Anyway, Glee like used to be a good show. It's like easy to see why it caught on so hard and and so quickly. Unfortunately Ryan Murphy sucks and doesn't know how to run a show.

2 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

she's dropped the aesthetic she had on the show and it makes her look way younger.

Yes she has had it dropped for a little while and looks so much better! Ellenore is her best friend as well!

2 hours ago, Deeee said:

Yes she has had it dropped for a little while and looks so much better! Ellenore is her best friend as well!

Yes, well I had mostly ignored like nearly all SYTYCD cast on social media (except Ellenore) and largely forgot about Amelia until I was on Tik Tok! She looks so much better and that's so cool!

Hi Megan, what a beautiful post about Naya. 😢:broken: Beautifully said. She's had a large impact on many people and she was the true star of Glee. I never thought I could miss someone who I have never met, but after watching the whole show, it feels like she was really someone close to me. We're all in this together in this and I hope we can cope with our grief somehow. Sending virutal hugs! :hug:

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:06 AM, Erestor said:

Hi Megan, what a beautiful post about Naya. 😢:broken: Beautifully said. She's had a large impact on many people and she was the true star of Glee. I never thought I could miss someone who I have never met, but after watching the whole show, it feels like she was really someone close to me. We're all in this together in this and I hope we can cope with our grief somehow. Sending virutal hugs! :hug:

Thanks Patryk. Sending virtual hugs your way as well.  ❤️

• Like 1

• 2 months later...