idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Alex95

2019 Dancing with the Stars Rankdown

2 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

over it eye roll GIF

@JC You are my husband. WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? 🙂 

Haiiii I’m sorry, life has been busy and cray, but this quarantine allowed me some time to relax and I watched idol the other day for the first time in ages (and also because I discovered Francisco UNF) and remembered idf and you guys so I had to come back to powwow with you guys!

2 minutes ago, JC said:

Haiiii I’m sorry, life has been busy and cray, but this quarantine allowed me some time to relax and I watched idol the other day for the first time in ages (and also because I discovered Francisco UNF) and remembered idf and you guys so I had to come back to powwow with you guys!

confused britney spears GIF

You thought about leaving us? 🕵️‍♀️

4 minutes ago, JC said:

I am all about Louis, Nick and Fransisco this season. :wub: 

49 minutes ago, JC said:

HAI WALLY!!! Missed you also I don’t know how to use emojis anymore :( lmao interesting that magically appeared

yes *goes to stalk Danny Mac on YouTube *

Ughh yeah there is that section where you type that if you click on that smile face it gives you the smilies that are on here now. A lot of the old IDF smilies are gone now.

Enjoy! :haha: 

20 minutes ago, JC said:

You better stay this time! (!) 

Posted (edited)

4. Laurie Hernandez

GettyImages-603569084.jpg

Amanda - 2/20

Dee - 2/20

Wildcards - 3/20

Anne - 4/20

Stephy - 5/20

Sola - 9/20

Lily - 9/20

Public - 9/20

Elliott - 12/20

Victoria - 14/20

Chris - 19/20

AMANDA

giphy.gif

Princess Laurie! Everyone knew who Laurie was going into the season. We watched her at the Rio Olympics, a part of the Final Five as they crushed the competition to take home the Team Gold. And then she won a Silver Medal for herself on the Balance Beam. She also had a fun Floor Exercise routine that displayed the infectious and bubbly personality she would bring to season 23 of the show when she was cast on it. Needless to say, Laurie instantly became my favorite of the season, and by the end of the season cemented herself as my #2 of all time. I was so happy that she won. I don't care if it was ~predictable~. She earned it! She didn't drop the ball once, even when the judges were lowballing her fantastic routines for no good reason other than to make her win not seem like a runaway. She started off the competition with a set of 3 very good dances - her Cha-Cha, Jive, and Tango. All established her as the one to beat that season, and she only further cemented herself in that position with her fantastic Jazz that earned her a perfect 30 during Cirque du Soleil week. Sadly, after that rise to perfection, we entered the "let's nitpick and lowball Laurie for no good reason!" section of the season. She danced a perfectly great Paso Doble that Val had some very creative choreography for, and yet the judges gave her a 25 for it, putting her on the lower end of the leader board. The fact that she only scored 1 point higher than the likes of Ryan Lochte is ridiculous and one of the many reasons Most Memorable Year night is awful when it comes to the judges' leniency with scoring. Her Salsa the next week was fantastic and should've scored a 40, but it was given a 37. The lowest point of this ridiculous arc was her amazing Quickstep that scored a 34 but deserved much more than that. I guess they needed to make it seem like James was actually competition for her, but that doesn't mean they need to lowball and nitpick her for no apparent reason. Luckily, the judges stopped with that nonsense after that and gave her the scores her dances deserved after that point. Her Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Viennese Waltz was a stunning dance that earned a perfect 30. Her "Cell Block Tango" Argentine Tango was brilliant and earned a perfect 40. Her emotional and gorgeous "Bird Set Free" Contemporary with Jana earned a perfect 40. In the semi-finals, she danced a stunning, emotional and moving Foxtrot after her grandmother's death, something that very clearly affected her. She also danced a brilliant Samba trio with the Chmerkovskiy brothers. Both of those dances earned a perfect 40. Laurie's first dance of the finals, her redemption Paso Doble, was a marked improvement from her week 5 one. But of course, we had to complain about a lift with our selective "lift policing" and dock her a pont for a fantastic dance. Looking at you Carrie Ann. Laurie's Freestyle captured her youthful exuberance and infectious personality perfectly, earning her a perfect score. She would end her run with a flawless Fusion dance that earned another perfect 40. After that, she was crowned the winner - a win that she was so deserving of after impressing all season long. If the first rankdown is anything to judge by, I don't expect her to be winning this, but I am very happy that she made the Top 20 again and will happily give her the #2 ranking on my list.

DEE

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

Princess Laurie Hernandez makes her glorious return to the DWTS Rankdown finals! :wub:

Bringing her to the finals took a tiny bit of begging and pleading from resident United States gymnast hater, Chris. LOL JK. But I did have to plead with Chris a bit to earn her passage to the finals, and I am super happy that I did! Laurie Hernandez is one of my favorite contestants of all-time, as all of you know. Forever in my Top 5. I truly think she is one of the most flawless contestants to have ever appeared on the show. 

Laurie was always so happy, so vibrant, so cheerful. The mentorship and friendship between her and Val was such a delight to watch over the course of the competition. I just love everything about Laurie as a human being. Such a genuinely incredible soul. ❤️

Hot off her incredible showing at the Rio Olympics, she obviously entered the competition as a total ringer and the obvious winner of Season 23. Plus, having Val as a partner totally sealed the deal at this point. I was beyond excited for her casting on the show, and I knew instantly that she would be an extraordinary contestant. 

And extraordinary she was. What a flawless performer. What a flawless dancer. At age 16, Laurie became the youngest winner in the show's history, after completely murdering the competition at her young age. I know that her Olympic career and life's training in gymnastics aided her, but what Laurie brought to the Ballroom was something different.

A youthful spirit, an unexpectedly technical proficiency and emotional maturity, a constant feeling of unabashed fun. Watching Laurie compete felt like a real treat, and that is why she will always hold a special place in my heart as a contestant. 

On top of that, Laurie is seriously an incredible dancer. One of the absolute best to ever hit the stage.

Eight perfect scoring routines. All eight of them equally iconic. Six weeks on top of the leaderboard. Final average of 36.9. All-around incredible.

Where to start with her dances? I love all of them for starters. She never danced a single bad routine in the competition. In fact, every single routine of hers is both incredible and memorable. 

"American Girl" Cha-Cha = Perfect first routine to display her dancing talents. Such a fun routine, and easily the best of the night. 

DuckTales Jive = Iconic tbh. The best routine of TV Night, and again, the perfect routine to display how fun and whimsy Laurie is as a person/performer.

Face-Off Tango = Another solid routine. Not my favorite of hers, but still the best routine of the night and slightly underscored.

Cirque du Soleil Jazz = Iconic routine is iconic. A perfect score on the fourth week - that is how good Laurie is. One of my favorites of the season. Outstanding choreography + production. I am still shocked at how such a young individual could have been this great.

Most Memorable Year Paso Doble = Solid routine. A but underscored, but definitely my least fave Laurie routine of the season. 

Latin Night Salsa = THE MOST FUN. Incredibly fast-paced. Great technique! Laurie got so into the spirit of the routine, which is might favorite aspect of her performance. I would have given her a two more points tbh.

Eras Night '60s Quickstep = Really good routine. Not perfect, but still solid. 34 felt a bit like a lowball. 

Team Future Freestyle = Really fun. Nothing too memorable, but a good time.

Halloween Night Viennese Waltz = DIVINE. One of my favorite dances of all-time. Val picked such an incredibly smart theme and song for the dance. Laurie nailed this, and my second favorite routine of the season. Second perfect score rightfully earned!

Musical Theatre Argentine Tango = BEST ROUTINE OF THE SEASON. "Cell Block Tango" is my favorite musical theatre number, and I still cannot believe how incredibly perfect Laurie's technique is in this piece. Love everything about it. Perfect score well-deserved. Still a routine I watch often.

Team Contemporary = Fourth perfect score. Such an emotional and beautiful routine. Best Contemporary ever.

Semifinals Foxtrot = SUCH AN EMOTIONAL ROUTINE. I'm hardly ever moved to tears by television, but my heart hurt for Laurie. So brave and strong to go out and perform such a perfect routine. My favorite Foxtrot of all-time. Perfect score well-deserved.

Trio Samba = ICONIC. What more is there to say? Sixth perfect score of the season. Flawless routine.

Redemption Paso Doble = Much stronger than her first Paso of the season. Great routine!

Freestyle = Amazing. This was exactly the type of Freestyle that Laurie needed. Fun, fresh, joyful, youthful. Val smartly choreographed this routines and Laurie danced with such a joy. This routine is pure love. Seventh perfect score well-deserved!

Foxtrot/Argentine Tango Fusion = Best fusion routine ever. Technically perfect, and a flawless way to exit the competition. Eighth perfect score!

As you can see, I love every single routine that Laurie danced. She left herself no room for error, and succeeded in bringing an infectiously fun energy to the stage every single week. Laurie is my second favorite winner of all-time, and is without a doubt one of the greatest contestants of all-time. I am pulling for a Laurie win!!!!❤️

WALLY

Yayy so happy for Princess Laurie to make it into the Top 20 for the second time, after failing to do so being super robbed in Version 2.0. I am curious what deals everyone pulled with Chris to make him not cut Laurie. :giggle: But yeah I am giving Laurie my #9 spot.

Laurie is one of the bubbliest and most adorable contestants ever, and she certainly owned and dominated Season 23 - even though that Top 4 were all great and super talented, but Laurie was still the best and deserved her win. My favorite dances from Laurie would be her: Cha-Cha, Jazz, Salsa, Viennese Waltz, Argentine Tango, Contemporary (celeb duet with Jana), Foxtrot, Samba (trio with Maks), Paso Doble (finale version), Freestyle and Argentine Tango/Foxtrot Fusion.

ANNE

One of the best winners of the show. It is obvious that I love James as well, but Laurie was the correct winner. She was fantastic throughout the season. Sometimes the obvious winner winning a good thing. She is one of those cases. She started off amazing. Some of her standout routines are her Viennese Waltz (be right back I am getting emotional), her foxtrot to Hollow (her crying during the routine? Yup, I am really emotional), her argentine tango (well done to Val for not making this completely weird) To be completely honest, I did not love her freestyle. I am glad she pulled out the win anyway. Besides the person I am about to write about, Val and freestyles do not get along.

STEPHY

Laurie’s personality is contagious, whether she is performing or not and coming off the 2016 Olympics with a few medals, benefitted her greatly. She was one of the favourites to win, because of her coming off the Olympics. She had the ability to go far in the competition and it paid off as she won her season. Her technique was spot on and her precision was perfect for nearly every dance. She should have been Val’s first and only win (despite the fact that there is always a fanwar between Laurie and James Hinchcliffe), as she is my favourtie Val partner.

SOLA

I wasn’t going to campaign to put Laurie into the finals when Chris almost cut her.  I don’t know why people think she’s one of my absolute favorites.  Don’t get me wrong I do think she killed it and was great with Val; however, she isn’t even my favorite partner for him.  She is my second favorite gymnast to compete on the show.  I found Laurie was the perfect amount of likability and talent.  She had some truly memorable dances over her season.  I feel like she really cemented her win in week 9 when she gave that one-two knock out punch of the Argentine Tango and the team-up dance Contemporary routine.  I know she has a hater or two from these rankers, so I am expecting her to place lower then she should.  Oh and my favorite Laurie performance is her finale fusion dance, and I stand by that being the best fusion dance ever on the show.

LILY

In #9 I am ranking Laurie Hernandez, the winner of Season 23. Coming off the Olympics, Laurie was definitely one of the people I really wanted to see come on DWTS, especially knowing she was a fan. She was full of energy her entire season and whilst I knew she was going to be an amazing dancer, she still managed to surprise me each week, with her maturity and connection to the dances despite only being 16. Laurie was able to change the mood of an otherwise weird and hostile Season 23 premiere following Ryan Lochte getting protested on stage, with a super strong opening Cha-Cha, and she continued this the next week with a really fun Jive to the DuckTales theme.

Whilst James put up a good fight for the mirrorball, and both Calvin and Jana were also really strong, Laurie pretty much had this season on lock. And rightfully so, she scored a perfect 30 in just the fourth week. Some of her other top dances included her Salsa, her Willy Wonka Viennese Waltz, her AMAZING Argentine Tango to "Cell Block Tango" (probably my fave of her dances), her super emotional Foxtrot dedicated to her grandmother who passed not long before, and her trio Samba including Maks. I've never been a huge fan of Val's Freestyle choreography but he won me over with the Freestyle with Laurie, it was so fun and captured her whole journey so well. The season ended with them winning which was so deserved, and until last season Laurie was the reigning female champ. Definitely one of my fave winners ever!

ALEX

ELLIOTT

I like Laurie a lot (she’s my second favourite of that season), but I’m kind of Alex’s side in that her winning seemed way too obvious from the get-go. It’s why I didn’t really bother with that season for the longest time and just assumed she would be my favourite by default since she’s a Val partner. That is, until we did the first rankdown, and then I finally watched it only for James to officially be my favourite. :rofl: So this is where she lands based off of this Top 20.

VICTORIA

giphy.gif
I do love Laurie Hernandez so this ranking is not reflective of that. She is a threat in this rankdown so hence the lowish ranking. I did rank to American winners back to back so maybe I just dislike winners? I'm just kidding. Laurie Hernandez is a known gymnast in the same vain as Simone and Aly. She competed on Dancing with the Stars 23 and was partnered with my favorite pro, Valentin Chmerkovskiy. Laurie is an absolute angel and is bubbly and infectious. Everyone is pretty much liked by everyone so this is why I ranked her in the bottom half. Laurie has had many memorable dances accumulating 8 perfect scores but my favorite dance of hers is the Viennese Waltz which was danced to "Pure Imagination" by Gene Wilder. I feel bad with this ranking because of that now. Laurie and Val's win made Laruie the first Latina to win and the first contestant who was born in the 2000's to win. She is the youngest person to win and the youngest person to receive a perfect score. Younger than Bindi Irwin? I guess. Laurie is love. Laurie won. She may still win this rankdown but I don't feel like helping that cause because I have other favorites.

CHRIS

laurie-hernandez-dwts.gif

Many people thought that Laurie was a target of mine during the entire rankdown. I'll start by saying that I enjoyed Laurie on her season, and I targeted her as I wanted bring Jana closer to winning her season. But the battle did not go as planned, it showed that Laurie is very popular among the rankers. In other words, I fear this could mean that she could potentially surprise us to a victory which would not be the ideal scenario for me as I would prefer someone else to win. 

With that being said, I truly love Laurie and she was one of my favourite during her season, probably behind Jana & James. I absolutely loved her partnership with Val - they absolutely nailed it week after week. Some of my favourite routine of hers includes her Jive to "Ducktales", Jazz to "Way You Make Me Feel", Viennesse Waltz to "Pure Imagination", Argentine Tango to "Cell Block Tango", her fusion of Argentine Tango & Foxtrot, and her contemporary with Jana which I will post because I am still bitter about Jana being cut. 

Edited by Alex95

:dead: at Alex’s linking Jana and Gleb’s tango for his Laurie write-up.

• Like 1

Just now, Steven_ said:

Did anything else even happen in S23? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Alex95 said:

Jana losing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven_ said:

Huh, so that’s why my eyes started bleeding when I opened this thread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

:haha:

Laurie ❤️

Our final three has one winner, one second placer, and one third placer! Is that how they'll finish here too? Or will their fates change?!

Just now, Alex95 said:

indy 500 ugh GIF by Paddock Insider

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Deeee said:

Jana losing.

kramer-31.jpg

This looks like a winner to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Alex95 said:

Our final three has one winner, one second placer, and one third placer! Is that how they'll finish here too? Or will their fates change?!

But Mel B and Kristi both won :unsure: 

• Like 1

Lets talk about how Iconic it is that Kristi won last time and has placed Top 3 again.  Legends only.  

Just now, Solaris said:

who?

A fellow Canadian.

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

A fellow Canadian.

we been knew

Posted (edited)

Laurie. ❤️ Such a cutie. I really should have placed Kristi in that fourteenth position. The way she is snatching everyones SCALPS. 🙃

Edited by 1234567890

Kristi really about to become the first boot of the next rankdown at this rate. :dead: