The Voice 17 ● Live Top 11 Eliminations ● Discussion

istersay

This Dolly at the Opry show is more evidence of who the audience is for The Voice. This is what they’re using to keep people from changing the channel after Myracle’s elimination. This is also why Jake was most streamed despite his lackluster performance.

Edited by TeamAudra

So wait, next week if it's, let's just say... Kat, Will and Shane in the Bottom 3 IS... WFTW? Okay then. :P

Didn’t y’all just say Will and Kat were the worst two last night? Make up your minds!

The drunken, half-sung karaoke performance of Red Solo Cup that I’m currently witnessing on vacation had more passion and displayed more technical ability and stage presence than Shane Q did last night.

Honestly with no bias I don’t like Shane Q but his performance in the instant save was not bad. Watching back on it I can geniuinly see why people voted for him although Myracle was a little better

Didn’t y’all just say Will and Kat were the worst two last night? Make up your minds!

Honestly with no bias I don’t like Shane Q but his performance in the instant save was not bad. Watching back on it I can geniuinly see why people voted for him although Myracle was a little better

For the record, Kat is my #1 remaining snowflake (after dearly departed Kyndal), but I wasn't a fan of her "country" pandering last night. I'm very glad she survived to fight another day, and I hope she goes back to being true to herself (more of the likes of Billy Joel/Beach Boys/Beatles, etc.). Will's performance I quite liked (but did not love) but for the obvious unevenness of the vocal. Was a fan of the song choice -- love that song. Will, though, is ALWAYS his true authentic self. You gotta give him that. Anyhoo, Will's worst vocal I suspect I would prefer over Shane's grating gratuitous upper register.

My point was/is: VFTW or wot not can or may be amusing one week, but not so much the next if our favs are at risk (e.g. Kyndal vs Jake for Gwen's public vote wildcard).

For the record, Kat is my #1 remaining snowflake (after dearly departed Kyndal), but I wasn't a fan of her "country" pandering last night. I'm very glad she survived to fight another day, and I hope she goes back to being true to herself (more of the likes of Billy Joel/Beach Boys/Beatles, etc.). Will's performance I quite liked (but did not love) but for the obvious unevenness of the vocal. Was a fan of the song choice -- love that song. Will, though, is ALWAYS his true authentic self. You gotta give him that. Anyhoo, Will's worst vocal I suspect I would prefer over Shane's grating gratuitous upper register.

My point was/is: VFTW or wot not can or may be amusing one week, but not so much the next if our favs are at risk (e.g. Kyndal vs Jake for Gwen's public vote wildcard).

"I'll Fly Away" is not a country song, it's a gospel song. The Alison Krauss version has been played on folk radio when it was released as part of the soundtrack for "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Fly_Away

I mean if Kyndal is gone, that’s likely proof VFTW wasn’t that invested in the season if there actually was a secret voice version

(dirActing @ Nov 26th 2019, 11:17 PM) *

"I'll Fly Away" is not a country song, it's a gospel song. The Alison Krauss version has been played on folk radio when it was released as part of the soundtrack for "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Fly_Away

I haven't been posting here for long, but I have been reading off and on since 2009. I'm familiar with your posts, and I usually find myself agreeing with you more often than not, particularly when it comes to music taste. In this instance though, I have to respectfully say we part ways.

Firstly, I'm familiar with "I'll Fly Away" ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is one of my favorite soundtracks), but thank you for Wiki link anyway. Did you simply assume I thought it was a country song? Because I fail to see where I said exactly that (my quote appended above for reference). What I did write was, "... but I wasn't a fan of her "country" pandering last night, which you will note had "country" clearly in quotes, meaning (if this wasn't clear enough before) that I'm not a fan of her singing certain songs that I feel panders to a "country" leaning audience. If I wasn't as clear before, I apologize, but this is what I meant by the earlier worded statement. Now before we get into an unnecessary back and forth about whether a folk/gospel song such as "I'll Fly Away" appeals to a "country" leaning audience, let me quote from that wiki entry you provided:

""I'll Fly Away" has been called the most recorded gospel song, and it is frequently used in worship services by Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarenes, the Churches of Christ and many Methodists. It appears in many hymnals where it is listed under the topics of eternal life, heaven and acceptance. It is a standard song at bluegrass jam sessions and is often performed at funerals." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Fly_Away ) Oh, and by the way, what's up with Kat and funeral songs, eh? "Danny Boy" and now "I'll Fly Away"? o:) :haha:

With reference to the sections in bold above, first let me state I'm no expert on "country" nor religion, so the following is purely based on my own limited opinion and personal associations: I personally (and I freely admit I could be wrong in this thinking) associate those denominations listed above with the Bible Belt, particularly Pentecostals, and I further associate the Bible Belt with a very general "country" lean. This is not to say the demographic of the Belt is monolithic, far from it. But from my limited understanding of "country", right or wrong, these are the associations I hold, and the reason why I find that Kat's choice of song smacks of the aforementioned pandering. But hey, that's just my view of the song selection, just as I've explained it. You don't have to agree with me, just to properly understand my statement and point of view. Again, if the associations I've formed are egregious in any way, I'd be willing to reassess them. But the fact remains that a song doesn't have to be strictly labeled country (without the quotes) to appeal to a "country" (i.e. country-leaning) audience. Am I right in that at least?

Penultimate point about the Alison Krauss version having been played on folk radio: Are you asserting here that the fact it was played on folk radio necessitates that it wasn't played on country radio as well? Come on now, this is Alison Krauss we're talking about, who Wikipedia lists as: "Alison Maria Krauss (born July 23, 1971) is an American bluegrass-country singer and musician." ( Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Krauss )

Finally, you are aware that the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" album was massively popular with country music fans, right?

"O Brother, Where Art Thou? won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 2002, the Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals (for singer Dan Tyminski, whose voice overdubbed George Clooney's in the film on "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow", Nashville songwriter Harley Allen, and the Nashville Bluegrass Band's Pat Enright), and the Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance for "O, Death" by Ralph Stanley.

The album won the Album of the Year Award (only the second soundtrack to ever do so) and Single of the Year Award for "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" at the Country Music Association Awards. It also won the Album of the Year Award at the Academy of Country Music Awards and took home 2 International Bluegrass Music Awards: Album of the Year and Gospel Recorded Performance of the Year (for Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch on "I'll Fly Away").

In 2006, the album ranked No. 38 on CMT's 40 Greatest Albums in Country Music. In 2009, Rhapsody ranked it No. 8 on the "Country's Best Albums of the Decade" list. Engine 145 Country Music Blog ranked it No. 5 on the "Country's Best Albums of the Decade" list." ( Wiki again for good measure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Brother,_Wh...3F_(soundtrack) )

I mean if Kyndal is gone, that’s likely proof VFTW wasn’t that invested in the season if there actually was a secret voice version

Ah, I take it then you're not a fan of Kyndal (to each, his or her own, right?). I used Kyndal as an example because if I'm not mistaken the poster I was replying to is/was a Kyndal fan (I could be wrong though). Feel free to take Kyndal out of the equation.

But sorry, just to clarify, I don't think there's a "secret voice version" of VFTW (the noun/pronoun), nor any kind of organized effort of the kind. Not sure when exactly that died off, but it did. But I do believe some non-related, non-organized numbers of fans are haphazardly, whether out of malice or fun or just on a whim, VFTW (the verb/gerund). Heck, some folks here proudly announced just as much, just last night. My point being it's all fine and dandy to VFTW if you're apathetic to the Bottom 2/3, but if it's your snowflake there, I reckon it'll not be as cool. But whatever, it's all just entertainment (to us, not the contestants though) and if peeps wanna make VFTW part of their entertainment for whatever TF reason, more power to them I guess.

Ah, I take it then you're not a fan of Kyndal (to each, his or her own, right?). I used Kyndal as an example because if I'm not mistaken the poster I was replying to is/was a Kyndal fan (I could be wrong though). Feel free to take Kyndal out of the equation.

But sorry, just to clarify, I don't think there's a "secret voice version" of VFTW (the noun/pronoun), nor any kind of organized effort of the kind. Not sure when exactly that died off, but it did. But I do believe some non-related, non-organized numbers of fans are haphazardly, whether out of malice or fun or just on a whim, VFTW (the verb/gerund). Heck, some folks here proudly announced just as much, just last night. My point being it's all fine and dandy to VFTW if you're apathetic to the Bottom 2/3, but if it's your snowflake there, I reckon it'll not be as cool. But whatever, it's all just entertainment (to us, not the contestants though) and if peeps wanna make VFTW part of their entertainment for whatever TF reason, more power to them I guess.

I mean I like Kyndal well enough but thought you were a Kyndal fan so was just trying to make VFTW organization not existing point by using your snowflake. I don’t think Kyndal is bad though.

Edited by xfactor22

I haven't been posting here for long, but I have been reading off and on since 2009. I'm familiar with your posts, and I usually find myself agreeing with you more often than not, particularly when it comes to music taste. In this instance though, I have to respectfully say we part ways.

Firstly, I'm familiar with "I'll Fly Away" ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is one of my favorite soundtracks), but thank you for Wiki link anyway. Did you simply assume I thought it was a country song? Because I fail to see where I said exactly that (my quote appended above for reference). What I did write was, "... but I wasn't a fan of her "country" pandering last night, which you will note had "country" clearly in quotes, meaning (if this wasn't clear enough before) that I'm not a fan of her singing certain songs that I feel panders to a "country" leaning audience. If I wasn't as clear before, I apologize, but this is what I meant by the earlier worded statement. Now before we get into an unnecessary back and forth about whether a folk/gospel song such as "I'll Fly Away" appeals to a "country" leaning audience, let me quote from that wiki entry you provided:

""I'll Fly Away" has been called the most recorded gospel song, and it is frequently used in worship services by Baptists, Pentecostals, Nazarenes, the Churches of Christ and many Methodists. It appears in many hymnals where it is listed under the topics of eternal life, heaven and acceptance. It is a standard song at bluegrass jam sessions and is often performed at funerals." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I%27ll_Fly_Away ) Oh, and by the way, what's up with Kat and funeral songs, eh? "Danny Boy" and now "I'll Fly Away"? o:) :haha:

With reference to the sections in bold above, first let me state I'm no expert on "country" nor religion, so the following is purely based on my own limited opinion and personal associations: I personally (and I freely admit I could be wrong in this thinking) associate those denominations listed above with the Bible Belt, particularly Pentecostals, and I further associate the Bible Belt with a very general "country" lean. This is not to say the demographic of the Belt is monolithic, far from it. But from my limited understanding of "country", right or wrong, these are the associations I hold, and the reason why I find that Kat's choice of song smacks of the aforementioned pandering. But hey, that's just my view of the song selection, just as I've explained it. You don't have to agree with me, just to properly understand my statement and point of view. Again, if the associations I've formed are egregious in any way, I'd be willing to reassess them. But the fact remains that a song doesn't have to be strictly labeled country (without the quotes) to appeal to a "country" (i.e. country-leaning) audience. Am I right in that at least?

Penultimate point about the Alison Krauss version having been played on folk radio: Are you asserting here that the fact it was played on folk radio necessitates that it wasn't played on country radio as well? Come on now, this is Alison Krauss we're talking about, who Wikipedia lists as: "Alison Maria Krauss (born July 23, 1971) is an American bluegrass-country singer and musician." ( Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Krauss )

Finally, you are aware that the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" album was massively popular with country music fans, right?

"O Brother, Where Art Thou? won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 2002, the Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals (for singer Dan Tyminski, whose voice overdubbed George Clooney's in the film on "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow", Nashville songwriter Harley Allen, and the Nashville Bluegrass Band's Pat Enright), and the Grammy Award for Best Male Country Vocal Performance for "O, Death" by Ralph Stanley.

The album won the Album of the Year Award (only the second soundtrack to ever do so) and Single of the Year Award for "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" at the Country Music Association Awards. It also won the Album of the Year Award at the Academy of Country Music Awards and took home 2 International Bluegrass Music Awards: Album of the Year and Gospel Recorded Performance of the Year (for Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch on "I'll Fly Away").

In 2006, the album ranked No. 38 on CMT's 40 Greatest Albums in Country Music. In 2009, Rhapsody ranked it No. 8 on the "Country's Best Albums of the Decade" list. Engine 145 Country Music Blog ranked it No. 5 on the "Country's Best Albums of the Decade" list." ( Wiki again for good measure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Brother,_Wh...3F_(soundtrack) )

I apologize for not responding sooner, I was busy making chocolate cheesecake and pecan pie for tomorrow's gathering.

I didn't expect my little wiki trivia about the song "I'll Fly Away" would receive such a lengthy response so I appreciate that you took the time to write all that. :flowers:

My comment is by no means intended to offend or point any assumption about your knowledge of the song or the genre. I mentioned the gospel origin of the song for the readers, because I always thought it was bluegrass (thus part of the country family) and I noticed that The Voice described it as a "gospel tune".

Anyway, I think Kat's studio sounded great and the live performance also sounded good for me. They compared her voice to Alison Krauss a couple of times during the pre-lives, I expected that they'll assign her one of Alison's songs. And if she gained votes from the country fans and/or gospel fans because of that song, good for her. :sorcerer:

I apologize for not responding sooner, I was busy making chocolate cheesecake and pecan pie for tomorrow's gathering.

I didn't expect my little wiki trivia about the song "I'll Fly Away" would receive such a lengthy response so I appreciate that you took the time to write all that. :flowers:

My comment is by no means intended to offend or point any assumption about your knowledge of the song or the genre. I mentioned the gospel origin of the song for the readers, because I always thought it was bluegrass (thus part of the country family) and I noticed that The Voice described it as a "gospel tune".

Anyway, I think Kat's studio sounded great and the live performance also sounded good for me. They compared her voice to Alison Krauss a couple of times during the pre-lives, I expected that they'll assign her one of Alison's songs. And if she gained votes from the country fans and/or gospel fans because of that song, good for her. :sorcerer:

Ooooh, chocolate cheesecake and pecan pie. Yummy! :P

NGL, most of that was cut and paste from Wiki. :D

I always thought the Krauss version was Bluegrass too, and truth be told it most definitely is, so we were both not wrong. Songs can be more than one thing. According to the Wiki entry, what was originally a traditional hymn at some point got adopted into the Bluegrass canon, which I suppose was a version(s) of the song played to a Bluegrass arrangement and accompaniment. And it's a version of this that is Alison's rendition on the OBWAT soundtrack. I consider the arrangement for Kat's version more "honky tonk" than anything, because that's what you get when a regular band tries to play something close to Alison's version sans actual Bluegrass instruments (banjo, fiddle, etc.). I would have preferred it if Kat had maybe rearranged the song for piano, and made it her "own" so to speak.

If Kat gains fans by leaning "country", more power to her. But she'll eventually lose a fan in me, so personally I hope she course corrects. I bought into her as a true indie singer-songwriter type (actually my fav type of singer on these kinds of shows) and because she cited her influences as Billy Joel, The Beach Boys and The Beatles (all fairly far removed from "country"). If she had introduced herself as a cross-genre artist like Kyndal did (Three Dog Night/Americana-Rock, Bonnie Raitt/Americana-Country-Blues-Rock, Jimmy Hendrix/Rock-Blues, Lianne La Havas/British Neo-Soul-Pop, etc.), then I wouldn't have a problem. Sure she could choose to take the Blake Shelton/Cassadee Pope route (Pop-punk/Pop-rock a la Avril Lavigne/Paramore to gradual about-face reluctant Country artist) and go on to win the show (a happy but unlikely outcome for Kat, if I'm being honest). But at what cost? Sure, Cassadee did reasonably well with her first country album, scored a Grammy nomination even for her Chris Young collab (good on her!), but then was eventually dropped from her label. Her long-overdue second country album, released independently earlier this year, was sadly a flop. She's now back with Hey Monday and trying to reconnect with her original fan base (of which I was one). That's going to take some doing. They just had their first reunion show a couple of days ago, so we'll see how this works out for her. I wish her well.

Anyway for me, Kat is the last indie-voiced singer-songwriter type left in the competition. Call me selfish, but I'd like to see her remain the last indie-voiced singer-songwriter type left in the competition.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I mean I like Kyndal well enough but thought you were a Kyndal fan so was just trying to make VFTW organization not existing point by using your snowflake. I don’t think Kyndal is bad though.

I do like Kyndal, so of course she's not bad! :D I'm glad you like her some. If you're Stateside, Happy Thanksgiving!