idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
istersay

AI 18 Spoiler Discussion Thread

Nick Merico - Sang When I Was Your Man by Bruno Mars. He did make the Top 20. He's my favorite this season and right now I think he's going to win this season. That could change when I see everyone. The judges picked him for the Top 20 because he picked a great song and he really showed emotion in his voice and the judges felt him. All his other performances were probably great too including his audition this season and his Hollywood Week performances this season. This one he seemed to really step up and the judges noticed. He did really great things with his voice. His voice was smooth when he sing. That's why he made the Top 20.

Jonny West - Sang You Found Me by the Fray. He did make the Top 20. Again, judges picked him because he picked a great voice and really showed emotion. He did really good things with his voice. All his other performances were probably really good too and this one was his best. That's why he made the Top 20.

Genavieve Linkowski - Sang You Say by Lauren Daigle. She didn't make the Top 20. Judges probably thought she picked a song that was too strong for her voice. It was all over the place and it wasn't that great of a performance. Her problem seems to be as she advances further in the competition, she tries to pick these big ballads thinking she can pull them off, but we know she can't. She wasn't able to do it last season during the last round of Hollywood Week when she did Praying by Kesha. That's why she didn't make the Top 20.

Edited by movieguy40

Amelia Joyce - Sang Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word by Elton John. She didn't make the Top 20. Probably because out of all the Elton John songs she picks, she picks one that is not as known or as upbeat. Also, it seems she really didn't showcase her voice well and was just playing it safe. That's why she didn't make the Top 20.

Natalie Jane - Sang Cool by Jonas Brothers. Didn't make the Top 20. While this seems and sounds like a great performance, there were probably others that were better and there were parts of Hollywood Week that she probably messed up in. That's why she didn't make the Top 20.

Cyniah Elise - Sang Ain't Nobody by Rufus and Chaka Khan. She made the Top 20. Her performance and cover of that song was great. She just picked a really great song to perform. Probably the best version of the song done by anyone. Katy Perry was standing and dancing for her during the performance. That's the biggest clue of why she made made the Top 20. So that's why she made the Top 20.

Samantha Diaz - Sang Como La Flor by Selena y Los Dinos. She did make the Top 20. She picked a great non English song choice. If you are going to do a non English song on American Idol, you need to make sure you have the pipes in your voice for it and can really bring the emotion and passion for it and she did. The judges loved that and that it was a Selena song. That's why she made the Top 20. Out of all these videos, this was the first one I watched because it was the first posted on here. I knew based on that performance she would be in the Top 20 before the final decisions for the Top 20 were official. Katy Perry is also standing during this performance and dancing along. A big clue of why she made the Top 20. I gotta admit Katy Perry is really doing good as a judge this season based on who is making the Top 20. She is doing a really good job it seems judging these contestants and giving them great feedback. I basically made that prediction as soon as I saw the video, which was yesterday. So that's why she made the Top 20.

Edited by movieguy40

57 minutes ago, movieguy40 said:

While Genavieve Linkowski and Travis Finlay didn’t make the Top 20, Nick Merico did make the Top 20. He was the one out of all the 8 returnees that I really wanted to make the Top 20. So I got what I wanted and that feels great. I’m guessing Travis Finlay and Genavieve Linkowski really messed up on their Top 40 performance since they didn’t make the Top 20.

People get cut for reasons other than “messing up”. The show needs to build an interesting and diverse cast. If the best 20 singers were all power ballad singers, they would still cut a bunch of them because that would be a boring show.

3 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

People get cut for reasons other than “messing up”. The show needs to build an interesting and diverse cast. If the best 20 singers were all power ballad singers, they would still cut a bunch of them because that would be a boring show.

What are the other reasons to get cut instead of not sounding your best? This is a singing show not a popularity contest. Maybe they don't have a great personality, which I doubt is the reason why these people that made the Top 40 didn't make the Top 20. At this point, it has to do with singing. So explain why you think Margie Mays didn't even make the Top 40 based on your logic? We know she's not exactly a ballad singer.

Edited by movieguy40

Last one:

Elyjuh Rene - Sang Best Party by Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. It sounded like a really bad performance based on this clip. Too many Ohhs and Aahhs. She's trying too hard to be this big soulful singer, but in the process, the performance and her singing is not in good pitch and her voice doesn't seem to be controlled. The judges probably thought this was her worst performance based on all of that. So that's why she didn't make the Top 20.

4 minutes ago, movieguy40 said:

Last one:

Elyjuh Rene - Sang Best Party by Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. It sounded like a really bad performance based on this clip. Too many Ohhs and Aahhs. She's trying too hard to be this big soulful singer, but in the process, the performance and her singing is not in good pitch and her voice doesn't seem to be controlled. The judges probably thought this was her worst performance based on all of that. So that's why she didn't make the Top 20.

Elyjuh is a male, not a female.

Last one: (Revised because I accidentally referred to him as a woman instead of a man because I thought for a second that it was a woman and not a man).

Elyjuh Rene - Sang Best Party by Daniel Caesar and H.E.R. It sounded like a really bad performance based on this clip. Too many Ohhs and Aahhs. He''s trying too hard to be this big soulful singer, but in the process, the performance and his singing is not in good pitch and his voice doesn't seem to be controlled. The judges probably thought this was his worst performance based on all of that. So that's why he didn't make the Top 20.

Edited by movieguy40

I’m really loving this Top 20.

Females
01. Aliana Jester
02. Cyniah Elise
03. Faith Becnel
04. Grace Leer [American Juniors Top 20]
05. Julia Gargano
06. Kimmy Gabriela
07. Lauren Mascitti
08. Lauren Spencer-Smith
09. Makayla Phillips [America's Got Talent Season 13 Top 22]
10. Olivia Ximines
11. Samantha "Sam" Diaz
12. Sophia Wackerman

Males
01. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. [B.E.T.'s Sunday Best: Race To The Stage Winner]
02. Dibesh Pokharel (A.K.A. Arthur Gunn)
03. Dillon James
04. Franklin Boone
05. Jonny West
06. Jovin Webb
07. Louis "Louie" Knight
08. Nick Merico [AI17 Hollywood Week - Withdrew]

Seems like they decided on not having any contestants from prior Idol seasons/The Voice in the final cast this year. :haha: Other than Nick, but I wouldn't necessarily count him since he withdrew rather than being cut by the judges last year.

Cant decide if I should start watching videos of the Top20 or be surprised.... JK YOU WOULDA THOUGHT IM WAITING 

3 hours ago, movieguy40 said:

What are the other reasons to get cut instead of not sounding your best? This is a singing show not a popularity contest. Maybe they don't have a great personality, which I doubt is the reason why these people that made the Top 40 didn't make the Top 20. At this point, it has to do with singing. So explain why you think Margie Mays didn't even make the Top 40 based on your logic? We know she's not exactly a ballad singer.

Idol has never been just a singing show.  The so-called best technical singers never even win.  You have to have stage presence, personality that connects with audiences, musical knowledge to pick the right songs.  The judges have to build an interesting and diverse cast for a TV show.   Nigel Lythgoe has said Idol isn't about the best singer, but rather the popular singer.

Edited by mytake1

3 hours ago, movieguy40 said:

This is a singing show not a popularity contest.

Funny how they say "make sure you vote for your favourite singer" and not "make sure you vote for the best singer" every week, then.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, movieguy40 said:

I’m really loving this Top 20.

Females
01. Aliana Jester
02. Cyniah Elise
03. Faith Becnel
04. Grace Leer [American Juniors Top 20]
05. Julia Gargano
06. Kimmy Gabriela
07. Lauren Mascitti
08. Lauren Spencer-Smith
09. Makayla Phillips [America's Got Talent Season 13 Top 22]
10. Olivia Ximines
11. Samantha "Sam" Diaz
12. Sophia Wackerman

Males
01. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. [B.E.T.'s Sunday Best: Race To The Stage Winner]
02. Dibesh Pokharel (A.K.A. Arthur Gunn)
03. Dillon James
04. Franklin Boone
05. Jonny West
06. Jovin Webb
07. Louis "Louie" Knight
08. Nick Merico [AI17 Hollywood Week - Withdrew]

I’m disappointed that Genavieve failed to make the Top 20, but I understand why.  Apparently she really needs help with her song choices and with understanding what songs she can tackle and which ones she should leave alone.

I may be rooting for Sam Diaz now.  I like Selena songs and I had a tape of her songs once.

4 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Idol has never been just a singing show.  The so-called best technical singers never even win.  You have to have stage presence, personality that connects with audiences, musical knowledge to pick the right songs.  The judges have to build an interesting and diverse cast for a TV show.   Nigel Lythgoe has said Idol isn't about the best singer, but rather the popular singer.

What do you call Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood then? They’re great technical singers and they were the best of their season.

4 hours ago, Elliott said:

Funny how they say "make sure you vote for your favourite singer" and not "make sure you vote for the best singer" every week, then.

You’re right. I didn’t even notice that.

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Seems like they decided on not having any contestants from prior Idol seasons/The Voice in the final cast this year. :haha: Other than Nick, but I wouldn't necessarily count him since he withdrew rather than being cut by the judges last year.

It does seem that way. Why would they cut talented singers just because they have been on the show before? That is clearly unfair to those contestants because it’s like they shouldn’t have wasted their time auditioning again if the producers and judges were going to cut them anyway.

1 minute ago, movieguy40 said:

That is clearly unfair to those contestants because it’s like they shouldn’t have wasted their time auditioning again if the producers and judges were going to cut them anyway.

Or, you know, they might not have been good enough this season? 🙄 We haven’t seen any of them perform yet.

21 minutes ago, movieguy40 said:

What do you call Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood then? They’re great technical singers and they were the best of their season.

Kelly said the "best singer" in her season was Tamyra Gray.  And Bo Bice has a bigger range than Carrie.

But Kelly and Carrie had more than just being good singers i.e., artistry, likeability, stage presence that made them connect with viewers. 

And my point was that Idol has never been a pure singing competition. 

Edited by mytake1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mytake1 said:

Kelly said the "best singer" in her season was Tamyra Gray.  And Bo Bice has a bigger range than Carrie.

And Kelly and Carrie had more than just being good singers i.e., artistry, likeability, stage presence that made them connect with viewers. 

And my point was that Idol has never been a pure singing competition. 

Well yes they both have those things going for them too, but the main thing they had was their great singing voices.

6 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Or, you know, they might not have been good enough this season? 🙄 We haven’t seen any of them perform yet.

All seven of them not good? I didn’t say eight because Nick Merico made the Top 20. Nick Merico was great and that’s why he made the Top 20. So Margie Mays wasn’t even good either by your logic. I think they just want to prevent another contestant who has been on the show from winning again and what better way to do that than not have any except for Nick Merico into the Top 20. I think Nick Merico could win this competition though.

Edited by movieguy40

Oh I really hope the producers are not putting in bad guy contestants because they are pushing for a girl winner like they did with Season 12. And I hope that’s not the reason there are twelve girls in the Top 20 and 8 guys in the Top 20.  If a girl wins, it should be because she’s talented, not just because the show wants a girl to win. Nick Merico is very good though.

Edited by movieguy40

Waiting for the show to start... 13 DAYZZZ. 😮 

I recall the Farewell Season on FOX putting 3 extra girls with just 10 guys in the Top 24. 

Anyway, looking forward to the premiere 😄