Quick news and notes of past Voice contestants.

TeamAudra

On 10/29/2021 at 1:01 AM, WastedinMemphis said:

Moriah Formica's band Plush has released its first, self-titled album.

Excerpt from AP review - Plush Are the Future of Rock on Debut Album

"I no longer fear for the future of rock ‘n’ roll: It is in the capable hands of the four young ladies of Plush, perhaps the heaviest all-female rock group ever to put pick to string, and whose debut album could be the best album of 2021.

"Imagine Pink singing for Metallica, and that just scratches the surface of the Plush sound.

"You probably don’t know the name lead singer Moriah Formica yet — but you will, and soon. It will be in the same sentence with some of the greatest female vocalists — make that vocalists, period — of all time, including Ann Wilson of Heart and Pat Benatar, whose songs Formica used to cover as a teenager in rock clubs with only an acoustic guitar. The arena has not been built with a roof high enough to contain her soaring, multi-octave vocals."

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-music-arts-and-entertainment-ann-wilson-music-reviews-a63b59d527f04d26d8ec2d297d1b4523

After a couple more listens, I'm very impressed with this album and this band.  It's more metal than I would normally listen to but that is countered by some very nice pop melodies strewn throughout and, most of all, Moriah's performance.  Moriah is sensational. She's come very far from her TV days.  Where it was obvious that she had power, now she's really commanding and also very strong melodically.

A good example of the mix of pop and metal is Sober.  It's also one of the better songs on the album.

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 1:01 AM, WastedinMemphis said:

Moriah Formica's band Plush has released its first, self-titled album.

Just finished giving this a listen, and it is definitely a record I see myself re-visiting. Evanescence was the first CD I ever purchased, so it's amazing that Plush is touring with them. Although my music tastes have evolved a bit - mostly with exploring more genres than limiting myself - I am still always down to hear more rock!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, roundtown said:

I haven't been following them super closely to know if anything happened to cause this, but it looks like Kaleb Lee is stepping away from Pryor & Lee and music altogether.  Their EP was (is?) supposed to come out next week. I wonder if Pryor will stay on at Black River and transition back into a solo artist or what will happen there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWMbN7iLYPU/

Pryor and Kaleb became friends as roommates while competing on season 14. I have no idea what happened with the partnership, but it sounds like Pryor has always been more serious about a music career than Kaleb. It's great that they will remain friends. Good luck to both.

from an interview in May 2021:

How did both of you get into music? 

Pryor: I haven’t known anything else in my life except for music. I got a guitar when I was three and knew from a very young age that is what I wanted to do. I’ve only done side jobs and stuff to make sure that I could continue on this career and path. [There was] never a plan B. It’s scary. I don’t recommend it! (laughs)

Lee: Well, I started taking guitar lessons when I was eight, and I think that’s when my mom and Dad finally [gave in]. I had been begging them for a while to get a guitar to play and sing. So, that kind of started it all for me. I went through high school and college and found out that I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever thought I would, and it’s kind of evolved over the years to this. Someone [recruiting for The Voice] reached out to me via a YouTube video that I posted years and years ago and made a comment about it. So I reached back out and a month later, I went from not doing music at all to being on The Voice stage. I guess the rest is history as they say. I’m very thankful and excited to be a part of this duo now and be doing it as a career.

What was life like after coming off The Voice? How did you guys land a record deal after?

Pryor: You go from never being on national television, not thinking anything about it, to being on TV, then you come off it, ride that wave for a little bit, and then it goes away. Literally I thought my career was over, and the next day, we got a record deal. It literally changed in 12 hours for me. Lee called me on Monday and he said, “Hey, we have a meeting tomorrow,” and we went in as a duo with a dream, a song, and no name. If it wasn’t for The Voice, if it wasn’t for all those things happening, then we wouldn’t have met each other and we wouldn’t be here today. So, life is completely different, but for the better.

Lee: We had been talking about this idea of a duo just to put another iron in the fire. We had gone into the studio prior to this label meeting to record a song just so we had it when and if we were going to be able to do this. So that meeting came about, and it literally turned everything on a dime. Like Pryor said, from solo careers, thinking about a duo, almost career over like ready to just pack up, go make some money, live our lives, and get a regular job. Literally 12 hours later, we walked out of our very first label meeting as a duo with a record deal offer and, here we are! We signed with Black River in January of 2020 and COVID shut us down in March of 2020. So it went from pedal to the metal to all brakes and no gas. It just completely stopped us in our tracks. The momentum we had was gone. So this past year’s taught us patience, and a lot of it. The silver lining, in my opinion, was that we had the opportunity to take our time as a brand new duo that hadn’t been playing together and didn’t even have a name before our record deal signing.

I saw this article about them last month.

https://tasteofcountry.com/pryor-and-lee-tour-bus-fire

New Christmas single from Ryan Gallagher. He wrote with Harlan Hodges .

"This year I collaborated with Ryan Gallagher of The Voice. He had mentioned to me that he really wanted to make a new single to lift everyone’s spirits over the holiday season. We sat down at the piano to start gathering some ideas and we started just saying things that remind us of home at Christmas time. “Presents wrapped with bows”, “Children playing in the snow”… and before we knew it we had about 15 verses of material! What made it to the final here was a product of some amazingly fun collaboration! It’s such a pleasure to have gotten to write, arrange, and co-produce this tune" (Harlan Hodges).

• Like 3

Can we just put the previous two pages in the gossip thread or in another thread entirely?

Anyways...back to music releases...

Britton Buchanan: "Willow Jane" out now.

Brooke Simpson: "Haliwa" 

Released two weeks ago...

Brennley Brown: "Fifty Stars"  (In honor of Veteran's Day)

Jon Mero: "My Home (Love Brings Us Here)"

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, katybay said:

Sophia Urista had quite a little performance that is going around on instagram…lets just say it involved a fan.

That has been discussed last week but moved to Gossip thread then eventually removed due to inappropriate content on a PG-13 forum.

3 hours ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

Keisha Renee from S13 is going to be part of Mariah Carey’s upcoming Christmas special!!🎄🎅 (one of my favs from The Voice + my favorite singer of all time… I’M NOT READY)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWbRdVkgP6u/

Did you see her shout out Anthony Evans? He was on S2 (part of the battle credited with being the reason for the addition of the Steal). Anthony worked for the show after his season and apparently has continued to do some BTS magic.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Did you see her shout out Anthony Evans? He was on S2 (part of the battle credited with being the reason for the addition of the Steal). Anthony worked for the show after his season and apparently has continued to do some BTS magic.

I noticed that she tagged him, but I didn’t know that he was on S2. That’s awesome that he’s had some success after the show! I can’t wait to see the Christmas special🎄

Mikaela Astel and her group, Good NEWZ Girls just released an EP with 6 Christmas songs on it. They are a quartet. I’m still trying to figure out what the story is with this group, but they performed at the Nickelodeon Awards several months ago, and this music was released under Viacom International, which owns Nickelodeon, among other things. Then I happened to notice their IG page they just started, and only has a 100 followers is followed by Roc Nation, which is a management and publishing company founded by Jay-Z. Anyway, this music has a heavy pop vibe to it. It’s not really my style, but it is pretty good, with what seems like high quality production.

Here’s the playlist. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Mikaela Astel and her group, Good NEWZ Girls just released an EP with 6 Christmas songs on it. They are a quartet. I’m still trying to figure out what the story is with this group, but they performed at the Nickelodeon Awards several months ago, and this music was released under Viacom International, which owns Nickelodeon, among other things. Then I happened to notice their IG page they just started, and only has a 100 followers is followed by Roc Nation, which is a management and publishing company founded by Jay-Z. Anyway, this music has a heavy pop vibe to it. It’s not really my style, but it is pretty good, with what seems like high quality production.

Here’s the playlist. 

Here’s the music video they just released in the Nickelodeon YouTube page. 

—-

Here’s an article about the group. 

Nickelodeon Forms Good NEWZ Girls Pop/R&B Group With Tyran ‘Ty Ty’ Smith & Jay Brown Productions

https://deadline.com/2021/11/nickelodeon-good-newz-girls-pop-rb-group-tyran-ty-ty-smith-jay-brown-productions-1234877127/

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Here’s the music video they just released in the Nickelodeon YouTube page. 

—-

Here’s an article about the group. 

Nickelodeon Forms Good NEWZ Girls Pop/R&B Group With Tyran ‘Ty Ty’ Smith & Jay Brown Productions

https://deadline.com/2021/11/nickelodeon-good-newz-girls-pop-rb-group-tyran-ty-ty-smith-jay-brown-productions-1234877127/

That was surprisingly good! I'm glad she found success somewhere else. The voice wasn't for her (looking at you Kelly)

Ps: I can't help but wonder why the early out always seems to get more promising projects than the ones deeper in the competition.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CaptainOggy6320 said:

That was surprisingly good! I'm glad she found success somewhere else. The voice wasn't for her (looking at you Kelly)

Ps: I can't help but wonder why the early out always seems to get more promising projects than the ones deeper in the competition.

Like I said, I’m not really into this style of pop, but it is admittedly good. Listen to “Silent Night.”  That’s just a straight a capella vocal. Their voices blend together well. 

Who knows how this will all work out, but it seems like a great opportunity for her. She’s also a songwriter. Hopefully, she’ll be able to put that to use. It might actually be one of the reasons she was chosen. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Moriah and Plush opening for Lzzy Hale and Evanescence.

I liked Moriah a lot on TV - back when she was 16 and fell victim in the PO's to Miley's country strategy. Who woulda thought she'd be the first on S13 to break out?  I'm lookin at you, Miley and Chloe 🥺 lol

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 2