Baseball Thread

Kert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Astros thing feels like it has the potential to get really out of control this season. They are going to get beamed all season. It didn't occur this many players in the league, outside the Dodgers, would be this irate at them.

I wouldn't vacate their title, because it seems likely that other teams have done this or something comparable, but with the domestic abuser defending, executives screaming at female reporters, the cheating... what an absolutely toxic organization.

• 1 month later...

So, I read this ESPN article about how a shortened season would look like, once The Show finally gets on the road. I did some math in my head regarding when would the Postseason end if it were to be pushed back into mid-October...

Assuming normal Postseason scheduling is:

- Day off after the regular season ends (for a Potential Tiebreaker game)

- AL games begin on one date; the NL begins theirs the next day (or vice-versa)

- Single-elimination Wild Card round

- 2-2-1 Division Series, with travel day(s) built in

- 2-3-2 LCS, again with travel day(s) built in
- 2-3-2 WS, with travel day(s)

Here is what I came up with:

- If the regular season were to end on October 15, Game 7 of the WS could be played either on November 15 (if we started the WS on Saturday, 11/7) or on November 18 (if we started the WS on Tuesday, 11/10) - recently we've been starting the Fall Classic on a Tuesday but in the past, the Series has started on a Saturday.

- If the regular season were to end on October 31 November 1, Game 7 of the WS would be on December 2.

- Note: In either scenario, I haven't even factored in a potential off-day for Election Day, which would be November 10 3 - and that's assuming it doesn't get re-scheduled 😱 

EDIT: Election Day is the 3rd, not the 10th... But my point still stands, though...

Edited by ShortstopVM
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone following the MLB The Show Players' Tournament? It's been exciting so far, and it's about to get good tonight: Joey Gallo (8-0), Gavin Lux (7-1), Bo Bichette (7-1), and Blake Snell (6-2) are all scheduled to play each other in tonight's session! :omg:

So far, I've found Gallo, Snell, and Amir Garrett to be entertaining - even if AG is getting his big mouth knocked off his perch... :haha: Those Sony San Diego sessions with RoFlo on Monday/Wednesday/Fridays are pure gold... It's great to see guys from other teams bonding over this experience (ex. Snell and Lux are going to play Call of Duty with Cody Bellinger after tonight's session). :yes:

But of course, go McNeil. 😏 J-E-F-F, JEFF-JEFF-JEFF! 😄 

Edited by ShortstopVM

Yes to Home stadiums... But any talk of realignment makes this a non-starter for me 🚮 🚮 🚮

Local blogger brings up a good point:

Something to consider here (aside from travel)... What if this contingency plan meant as a work-around for the coronavirus works too well, that MLB might make it permanent? 🤔😫

I'd rather have NO Baseball at all, than any of these crazy schemes...