Taylor Swift Fan Thread

bswanson

Absolutely in love with the album - I cannot find a song that I do not enjoy. 

Will listen to it on repeat and repeat - one of her best album, and loving the vibe of the album which is the kind of album my friend & I imagined her doing after reputation - our wish came true with this album ❤️

2 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Absolutely in love with the album - I cannot find a song that I do not enjoy. 

Will listen to it on repeat and repeat - one of her best album, and loving the vibe of the album which is the kind of album my friend & I imagined her doing after reputation - our wish came true with this album ❤️

Agreed with every word. It's not a return to country but a mixture of folk, country and Safe & Sound vibes. I'm loving this already way more than Lover and reputation.

• Like 1

Amazing album. Exile, My Tears Ricochet and Betty are the standouts for me.

My Ranking:

1. Exile
2. My Tears Ricochet
3. Betty
4. Cardigan
5. Mirrorball
6. August
7. The 1
8. Invisible String
9. The Last Great American Dynasty
10. Peace
11. Illicit Affairs
12. Mad Woman
13. Seven
14. This Is Me Trying
15. Epiphany
16. Hoax

The album is kind of a mixed bag for me. I love her pop stuff like 1989 and Lover, so this is obviously a really different style from that. There are some good songs, but there's also others that feel kind of slow and boring. I don't feel like it's an album I could play on repeat a lot because I think after a while it's a kind of depressing, sad, dreary album. It feels more like something you'd put on when it's a cold, rainy day, curled up in an armchair by the fire with a thick blanket and mug of cocoa. 

My personal favorites so far are cardigan, seven, august, this is me trying, invisible string, epiphany (this is my top favorite), betty, and peace. Mid-tier for me are the last great american dynasty, exile I'm still kind of processing but it's becoming top tier for me (I don't like Bon Iver's parts, that's what's making it hard for me to fully get behind), my tears ricochet (also still processing this one, I heard a theory it may be about her battle over her masters which would help me understand this song better), mirrorball, mad woman, and hoax. The ones I just flat out don't like are the 1 and illicit affairs. 

The thing I feel is missing from this album are the catchy hooks and melodies. I get that she wrote this album more from a storytelling perspective rather than trying to write songs for the radio. But that also doesn't mean they have to lack melody or be boring. I've heard some say the album feels like one long song, maybe that's sort of the point because some of the stories are intertwined with each other. But yeah after a while, all the songs kind of start to sound the same and blend together. I feel like if they all have to sound similar, then she could/should have cut a few tracks. 

I've either liked or loved all her albums so far, but I'm not sure yet how I feel about this one. It's probably my least favorite though. It's not bad by any means but I don't think it's quite my taste. It would be better if there were more variety and maybe some upbeat songs to balance it out. I don't even mean upbeat like ME! or something, but even something like last great american dynasty or betty are a little more uptempo than some of the others. I don't know, maybe a lot of it will grow on me the more I listen. I also think I kind of prefer when she tells her own stories as it's more personal, rather than these made up stories about people we don't even know or fictional characters. Who is Betty and why should I care about her?

I'll end on a positive note and say that epiphany is a truly stunning track and it's one of the few on here that made me really feel something when I heard it. I envision it being about a soldier in WWII who witnesses a fellow soldier die and it's really powerful. I think it's one of the best tracks she's ever done. Despite my feelings about this album, I do hope that maybe it will introduce her to a new audience who doesn't care for her pop stuff but would like this. It really shows off her skills as a writer and her vocals are more raw and pure, they aren't buried in tons of production and autotune like her pop albums. This is the album for people who think she can't sing or can only write childish pop songs - it really showcases another side of her that many of her haters probably didn't think existed. The fact it's doing so well is bringing it more to the forefront and grabbing attention outside of just her fans. Cardigan is expected to debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, imagine achieving a #1 single with an album she didn't even plan, that had no singles, that wasn't written for radio, something that Lover tried but failed to achieve.

• Like 1

I listened to the album several times on my drive to and from work the past 2 days and it’s AMAZING! :wub: My early favorites are Exile, Cardigan, Mirrorball, and Betty... but honestly, not a single song on the entire album I’m inclined to skip. 

5 hours ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

honestly, not a single song on the entire album I’m inclined to skip. 

Yes!

Definitely one of her best albums, if not her best! I’m so happy that she managed to pull off yet another genre change with rave reviews. :wub: