Taylor Swift Fan Thread

bswanson

1 hour ago, *Laci said:

Justice For Cruel Summer and Miss American & the Heartbreak Prince 

Man Cruel Summer was robbed. It should've been the lead single over Me but, I get that they were likely saving it for this summer then covid hit, folklore happened and it just got overshadowed. Miss Americana is great as well.

• Like 2

Cruel Summer is the Getaway Car of the Lover album lol

I think if it had been released as a single, it would have been the first #1 from Lover, but sadly the universe had other plans I guess. At least we got folklore out of it! I think there's a possibility that when concerts can happen again, maybe Taylor will tour both albums like a sweetener/thank u, next situation. I do feel bad that Lover never really got a proper album cycle like her other albums and basically ended up getting overshadowed by folklore. I still really miss the bright rainbow aesthetics of that album. 

• Like 2

So after a few weeks what are everyone's top favorites from Folklore?

My top tier of songs are:

• illicit affairs
  • mirrorball
  • the last great american dynasty 
  • peace
  • august

Biggest growers

• my tears ricochet
  • invisible sting 
  • hoax

My top 5:

1. epiphany

2. betty

3. peace

4. august

5. this is me trying

Honestly it’s so hard to pick a top 5 though. There’s only a few songs I think are kind of meh (the 1, illicit affairs, and mad woman). All the others are good or great. The whole album really grew on me after a few more listens. 

The biggest growers for me were probably the last great American dynasty, exile, my tears ricochet, and hoax. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, *Laci said:

I love how basically on all of her albums everyone has different favorites! :wub:

Yes and if you ask fans what their favorite album is, everyone has a different answer. I think the overall fan favorite is rep but there’s definitely people who love another album as their favorite. It shows how great her music is. Usually with other artists there’s that one album or 2 that stands out as being their best work, then they maybe have an album or 2 that isn’t that good. But with Taylor, all her albums are iconic in their own ways and it speaks to how great her music is if everyone loves something different, there is no exact consensus as to what her best and worst albums are. I’d even say most fans don’t think she has a “worst” album.

• Like 1

My top 5:

seven

my tears ricochet

august

epiphany

exile

I love Bon Iver's parts in exile and I don't always like them. Not surwe who people know who she is, but folklore reminds me of Phoebe Bridgers' album Punisher, though I prefer that one just a bit more. 

Edited by ~Tom~
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:56 PM, ~Tom~ said:

My top 5:

seven

my tears ricochet

august

epiphany

exile

I love Bon Iver's parts in exile and I don't always like them. Not surwe who people know who she is, but folklore reminds me of Phoebe Bridgers' album Punisher, though I prefer that one just a bit more. 

Phoebe! :wub:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, *Laci said:

I love her work with Better Oblivion Community Center. Punisher is great too. I need a Tay/Phoebe collab. 

I'm not as familiar with that as I am with Stranger in the Alps and boygenius, but I love those and like what I've heard from BOCC. And that would be amazing. Until Taylor reinvents herself for her next album. 💔 

My Top 5:

My Tears Ricochet

Illicit Affairs

August

Cardigan

The Last Great American Dynasty

This album is amazing, so it was really hard to decide on a Top 5.

Also, this footnotes video has some great and interesting facts about the making of the Cardigan music video.

• Like 1

^ I have to agree about the merch thing and I've seen fans complain online about how they don't like how her team has been doing the marketing this era. I love Taylor, but the way they've been going about merch this era has been awful.

I really dislike how we were made to believe the CDs were an online exclusive and then a week later there are 2 versions available at Target. Many of us spent extra on shipping and it took longer for it to arrive by mail than if we had just bought it at Target. At least for those who ordered one of the other versions, you are still getting something exclusive. But I bought deluxe #1 "in the trees" which is one of the ones you can buy in store. I get that the album was a surprise drop and there wasn't time to get it manufactured to be in stores right away, but don't dupe the fans into believing this is only an online thing just to boost sales. It's very obvious they are using these tactics to make fans think the items will disappear, they're only available for a limited time, etc. so that people panic buy to boost sales.

I and many others really hate the several cycles of 48 hours merch. It's especially annoying how they say it's only available for 48 hours, then they bring some of it back. You can now get free shipping in the US, of course after everyone has already put in their orders. Shirts are now reduced to $25 when they were $30+ before. They basically waited until everyone had already put in their orders before offering reduced prices/shipping. It makes sense from a business standpoint, but it's a shitty thing to do fans. It just is. Yeah Taylor and her team need to make money, but it's also kind of tasteless to pull this during a pandemic when people have been laid off from their jobs. Of course, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't be buying the merch in the first place, but the fact people need to make money during a pandemic goes both ways, not just for Taylor and her team.

The 48 hour merch cycles is getting ridiculous. I get doing a few of them when the album first dropped, but it's very annoying for people who can only afford maybe 1 or 2 items. They can't afford to keep paying extra for shipping for every merch cycle and they may also end up ordering the 1 thing they can afford, only to find they like something better the next time but they've already spent their money on that 1 thing they could afford. They should just release all the merch at once and let fans choose what they want. Yeah it'd be a lot less interesting of a business move for them, but come on, the fans are getting totally screwed over and that's not right at all.

I didn't even buy any merch this era apart from the CD because I either didn't like it, it was too expensive, or I know that eventually they'll release more of it at the end of the era at a reduced price to get rid of it because that's literally what they always do. IMO a lot of the merch this era is nothing special and looks lazily made/cheap. The mad woman t-shirt doesn't look like anything special - it's literally a plain shirt with "no one likes a mad woman" written in very tiny font on it and that's it and they are charging $30+ for it. I really liked the notebook but it was $25 not including shipping, so it would have been over $30 for a freaking notebook and I was like "no way, I don't like it THAT much!"

I also didn't buy the cardigan CD because I expected that they would eventually come out with signed CDs like they did with ME! but they never did. That was honestly disappointing. I really hate how they will do things like that, they released a physical CD of ME!, then like 24 hours later they announced a signed copy after people already purchased the first one. They did the same thing with cardigan, where they announced a physical CD with the voice memo, then they released a physical CD of the remix. Everyone was waiting/hoping for signed CDs and they never came.

Honestly I think for anyone who wants merch but thinks it's too expensive or can't really afford it, I suggest to just wait until the end of the era or when she's ready to release a new album because they always say the merch is limited release, but they really have loads of it sitting in a warehouse that they save for the end and it'll be heavily discounted so they can get rid of it. I can't exactly blame them for taking advantage of fans when we keep feeding into the hype and panic buying, but if people stop feeding into their tactics, maybe they will stop doing stuff like this. There's a difference between releasing some cool exclusive stuff for fans and just straight up money grabbing and being greedy. She has always done merch releases like this but this era it seems particularly bad. I hope next time around fans don't buy into this BS. They're becoming way too greedy and I think fans are getting fed up with it enough that maybe next time they aren't going to buy as much stuff because they're afraid of the 48 hour sales happening again. They're going to end up losing sales in the end if they keep taking advantage of fans this way.

#endrant