DWTS General Discussion Thread 2.0

Elliott

Val 🥺

Zendaya and Val are definitely one of my favourite partnerships of all-time. So well-matched on the show and they’ve stayed so supportive of each other since. I think he’s had some brilliant partnerships since (Laurie, Normani, Rumer all being notable ones of course) but in my eyes, I feel like that’ll be his peak in terms of both having a great friendship/connection and being an excellent pair.

Lol I remember Pure were so pressed about her for no reason at the time :wub: She was only 16! But kept saying they spent too much time trying to make her a household name. Well...they succeeded! I guess if it wasn’t becoming clear already, this cements her of having the best career boost post-DWTS. Wish she could have had the mirrorball next to her Emmy (damn ABC online voting), but let’s be real, she won in the end anyway!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Val 🥺

Zendaya and Val are definitely one of my favourite partnerships of all-time. So well-matched on the show and they’ve stayed so supportive of each other since. I think he’s had some brilliant partnerships since (Laurie, Normani, Rumer all being notable ones of course) but in my eyes, I feel like that’ll be his peak in terms of both having a great friendship/connection and being an excellent pair.

Lol I remember Pure were so pressed about her for no reason at the time :wub: She was only 16! But kept saying they spent too much time trying to make her a household name. Well...they succeeded! I guess if it wasn’t becoming clear already, this cements her of having the best career boost post-DWTS. Wish she could have had the mirrorball next to her Emmy (damn ABC online voting), but let’s be real, she won in the end anyway!

I actually think that not winning helped her to boost her career. She's known for her excellent journey, which will always be present and " there" for people to see, without being attached to the show itself and the stigma it comes with it . Sort of like people going back and being surprised that Kim K did DWTS, except that Zendaya actually capitalized on the platform. It reminds me of Normani's " robbed queen status" which can gain more attention than winning and taking first place.

I was thinking of starting a Tea thread . I think that Val & Zendaya are not as close anymore and I've read about Val's book and his supposed " leeching" off her success by calling her his best partner to date while being a bit patronizing about his " impact " on young Zendaya's career. The last time they were seen together was 2017 during a showcase of the Greatest Showman if I am not mistaken.

On another front, I always said that signing Zendaya was a very good decision just as with Normani . Both were in established franchises or shows and didn't necessarily need to do the show. However, excelling and getting that exposure helped reinforce their position from within their endeavors. It's only the stars who think they can get a small boost without supplementing it with actual work that don't end up gaining much. For Zendaya, she had Disney to fall back on and boy did she manage it well.

Also, am I the only one who gets the impression that the more time passes, the less "positive " she is about her DWTS experience in retrospect? She came back as a guest judge in 2016 but I remember her shading the show more than once in a way that reflected that she changed her mind about it once she grew up. I could be making things up but it's plausible

Edited by SyTyCd-Spirit

15 minutes ago, SyTyCd-Spirit said:

I actually think that not winning helped her to boost her career. She's known for her excellent journey, which will always be present and " there" for people to see, without being attached to the show itself and the stigma it comes with it . Sort of like people going back and being surprised that Kim K did DWTS, except that Zendaya actually capitalized on the platform. It reminds me of Normani's " robbed queen status" which can gain more attention than winning and taking first place.

I was thinking of starting a Tea thread . I think that Val & Zendaya are not as close anymore and I've read about Val's book and his supposed " leeching" off her success by calling her his best partner to date while being a bit patronizing about his " impact " on young Zendaya's career. The last time they were seen together was 2017 during a showcase of the Greatest Showman if I am not mistaken.

On another front, I always said that signing Zendaya was a very good decision just as with Normani . Both were in established franchises or shows and didn't necessarily need to do the show. However, excelling and getting that exposure helped reinforce their position from within their endeavors. It's only the stars who think they can get a small boost without supplementing it with actual work that don't end up gaining much. For Zendaya, she had Disney to fall back on and boy did she manage it well.

Also, am I the only one who gets the impression that the more time passes, the less "positive " she is about her DWTS experience in retrospect? She came back as a guest judge in 2016 but I remember her shading the show more than once in a way that reflected that she changed her mind about it once she grew up. I could be making things up but it's plausible

Agreed! I do almost wonder if they would have tried to market her as being a face of ABC if she won. I know she went back to doing work with Disney before going into film, but I do wonder if not winning the show may have even opened her up to more creative opportunities. I feel like not winning maybe gave her more drive to do new things too.

Ooh I hadn’t heard this about Val/Zendaya. They both seem to still comment/like each other’s posts at times so I would like to think they’ve kept a close bond. (I’m down for a tea thread though!)

I think she took the loss pretty rough and it was quite apparent in post-season interviews. She definitely received a lot of hype and many on the show were pretty much calling her the clear winner, so for someone so young I do wonder if that was all quite overwhelming and she was not prepared for the disappointment. I would guess that maybe the older she’s got and more industry experience she’s had, she probably views it as a great career opportunity. But yeah I got the feeling that at first, it didn’t end the way they had hoped. Just my guess too on that!

Edited by *Lily

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

I'm a flop Val Stan because Kelly & Zendaya are my favourite of his partnerships. :dead:

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

Ooh I hadn’t heard this about Val/Zendaya. They both seem to still comment/like each other’s posts at times so I would like to think they’ve kept a close bond. (I’m down for a tea thread though!)

They're still close. They did an Instagram Live (or something akin to that) together this year.

8 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I'm a flop Val Stan because Kelly & Zendaya are my favourite of his partnerships. :dead:

They're still close. They did an Instagram Live (or something akin to that) together this year.

Both good choices though :haha: Val not realising General Hospital was a show and thinking Kelly worked in a hospital = still an all-time great Val moment :wub:

Yay! I thought so, and she liked his post yesterday so I gathered they still were close but glad to know :wub:

8 hours ago, *Lily said:

Both good choices though :haha: Val not realising General Hospital was a show and thinking Kelly worked in a hospital = still an all-time great Val moment :wub:

Yay! I thought so, and she liked his post yesterday so I gathered they still were close but glad to know :wub:

😆 another great one was Kelly making Val wear a pick bra filled with water balloon boobs.

😂 Val's first meeting with Zendaya: 

Val- You're very beautiful. 

Zendaya- Thank you.

Val- How old are you?

Zendaya- I'm sixteen.

Val- Sixteen?  Take it back! 

Or when he told Elizabeth that he learned English watching Saved By the Bell and that he was a fan of Tiffani Thiessen's character.  Tom Bergeron- Val learned English from Saved By the Bell, and etiquette from The Simpsons.  😆

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, Elliott said:

I think you are thinking of Laurie Hernandez. He and Laurie did an IG live recently. Z hasn't given Val the time of day since mid-2017...right before his book came out. Zendaya's mom will still throw him a bone sometimes on social media, but that's about it. His book (and to an extent his Emmy post) sound like he's trying to take credit for her success and hard-work attitude. 

They are by far my favorite DWTS couple though. 

8 hours ago, LauraMCT said:

I think you are thinking of Laurie Hernandez. He and Laurie did an IG live recently. Z hasn't given Val the time of day since mid-2017...right before his book came out. Zendaya's mom will still throw him a bone sometimes on social media, but that's about it. His book (and to an extent his Emmy post) sound like he's trying to take credit for her success and hard-work attitude. 

They are by far my favorite DWTS couple though. 

He insinuated that she was lazy and obsessed with her boyfriend during her season and that he had to instil his work ethics into her. The last time she publically acknowledged him was during Normani's season as she was friends with her. He also attended a home gathering and showing of the Greatest Showman at her house but that was the last time they were together. She would occasionally throw a like to his posts but it's clear that she's outgrown him and might feel differently about him . Even after the Emmy win, Val posted screenshots on his stories of him messaging Zendaya about how great Euphoria is and she didn't even bother to reply. One time he posted a dance video with Jenna to music from the show and didn't mention Zendaya at all. Maks went before that to post a video and his first words in the caption were : my friend Zendaya or something on that front. It's just been read as wanting to benefit from the success around her.

I think there's a general consensus among many DWTS fans on other boards especially that they grew apart and that Val has been shown to want to use her for clout. 

Edited by SyTyCd-Spirit

It's once again time to see how wrong WatchMojo gets it with another one of their lists! This time, they did the Top 20 pros.

1. Derek

2. Val

3. Kym

4. Cheryl

5. Maks

6. Julianne

7. Karina

8. Peta

9. Sharna

10. Anna T

11. Mark

12. Tony

13. Witney

14. Lindsay

15. Emma

16. Sasha

17. Alan

18. Keo

19. Jenna

20. Artem

And cue the rage at Derek being #1. :giggle: 

As per usual, the list is full of choices. Like Sharna being in the Top 10 and Mark being only at 11. :wacko: 

• Like 1