Official NHL Hockey Thread interim version

Mysteriosa

On 5/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Mysteriosa said:

It's been rain/snowing all day and it's freezing.  It rained yesterday too.  But it was incredibly dry, so we need the moisture.  But I'm fed up of hot/cold/hot/cold.

It would feel weird to look up and see there is an aerial hashtag recommending I be fired.  Like, wow.  Maybe I'd have to take a photo.  I mean that might be my moment of fame right there.  A billboard would be better though.  Easier to pose in front of... :camera:

It's sunny and hot here. I like it at this time of the year before the now annual wildfire smoke starts.

I feel kind of bad for him, but Jim Benning is a big boy. GMs go into these jobs knowing they'll probably just have them for 3-5 years unless they win a Stanley Cup.

Canuck world is peak crazy right now. There was a week in February when Friedman and some local insiders heard that ownership was moving on Benning, and then something changed and he was expected to be back next year. Now there are reports that ownership realizes how damaged the brand has become and Benning is back on the hot seat.

The changes could even go beyond Travis Green and Jim Benning. The Canucks are owned by the Aquilini familiy, but the youngest son, Francesco, is the person the people who run the team report to and often referred to as "the owner." The are rumors that the family patriarch, Luigi, might take it away from Francesco and give it to Roberto or Paolo, who are supposedly thought to be the more competent brothers.

Ottawa fans bought a billboard to try to shoo away Eugene Melnyk, who by the way has a hilarious new lawsuit.

Ottawa Senators owner took Caribbean superyacht vacation during pandemic — and it went horribly, lawsuits say

The jist of it seems to be that they are suing the yacht company because the ocean was rough. It is sort of amusing to think of Melnyk and his billionaire friends being thrashed around the cabin.

On 5/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Oh...:oops:  I was probably thinking of Derek Wills, Flames announcer who keeps being optimistic that they can still make the playoffs in a sickening kind of way.    I would hope there is only one Eric and he doesn't have a twin brother.  What a thought.  Like a horror movie.

Every time people say Treliving did a great job I think of all the buy outs for players who sucked.  If I were the one paying, I wouldn't be super happy.

Meanwhile...Avangard Omsk won the Gagarin Cup in the KHL, with Hartley as coach.  🏆

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/southern-alberta-player-helps-win-the-kontinental-hockey-league-s-gagarin-cup-1.5417385

Like, it's almost like he knows how to, like,  coach, like, you know?   (I kind of miss his colorful quotes in the news.  I heard someone trying to interview Sutter after a loss and it involved a long incredibly awkward silence while the reporter kept saying his question over and over until he had to give up)

Like the classic novel The Double. I actually think Dostoyevsky wrote it about the horror of two Eric Francises.

Based on the Vancouver to Calgary hockey pipeline, you have to think Brad Treliving will be fired, Jim Benning will be fired, the Flames will hire Jim Bening, and then they will sign Alex Edler.

Hartley was a guest on 31 Thoughts last week, btw. He said he found Russia scary but one day Ilya Kovalchuk called him and ordered him to accept the job of head coach of Avangard Omsk so he said ok. Also, Kovalchuk wasn't on the team most of this year, he just decided to join at the end and led the team to a championship. The KHL rules.

Hartley told a very emotional story about Dan Snyder's death and how he and Kovalchuk have remained very close because of it.  It's a good interview actually.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/bob-hartley-a-khl-champion

On 5/11/2021 at 9:49 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Flames officially out of the playoffs as Montreal wins over Edmonton in OT.   Cue the meaningless games against Vancouver!  :canadianwave:

That game knocked the Flames and Canucks out at the same time, lol. The playoffs start tomorrow, but also the Canucks play a completely meaningless game against the Oilers and then three even more pointless ones against the Flames. It's very dreary.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/14/2021 at 11:35 PM, RWG said:

It's sunny and hot here. I like it at this time of the year before the now annual wildfire smoke starts.

I have finally achieved hot weather, which is about to disappear again.  Really?

Ottawa fans bought a billboard to try to shoo away Eugene Melnyk, who by the way has a hilarious new lawsuit.

Poor bunny.  Well maybe he should have stayed home in a pandemic, or something.

Like the classic novel The Double. I actually think Dostoyevsky wrote it about the horror of two Eric Francises.

:shock:  Did I just read Dostoyevsky and Eric Francis in the same sentence?

Based on the Vancouver to Calgary hockey pipeline, you have to think Brad Treliving will be fired, Jim Benning will be fired, the Flames will hire Jim Bening, and then they will sign Alex Edler.

Must we have all your leftovers, LOL?

Hartley was a guest on 31 Thoughts last week, btw. He said he found Russia scary but one day Ilya Kovalchuk called him and ordered him to accept the job of head coach of Avangard Omsk so he said ok. Also, Kovalchuk wasn't on the team most of this year, he just decided to join at the end and led the team to a championship. The KHL rules.

Hartley told a very emotional story about Dan Snyder's death and how he and Kovalchuk have remained very close because of it.  It's a good interview actually.

https://podcast.sportsnet.ca/31-thoughts/bob-hartley-a-khl-champion

Ooo, interesting. I think Russia is a bit scary!  But also eccentric. Hartley obviously has a knack for winning.

I am beginning to think we might cycle through all our old coaches.  We've got Sutter back, at least until our new GM gets rid.

I've forgotten what real hockey is like...

That game knocked the Flames and Canucks out at the same time, lol. The playoffs start tomorrow, but also the Canucks play a completely meaningless game against the Oilers and then three even more pointless ones against the Flames. It's very dreary.

Hmmmm.  So I forgot the Flames were playing and then they were playing late so I still listened to periods 2 and 3.  At first they were beating Vancouver 5-1, and the commentators had just finished saying that Vancouver had nothing left, when V. started to score.  And score, and score.  I'm like, is Calgary actually going to lose this game now?  :haha:  And then they won in OT.  Fun=our colour commentator describing how awful our defensive coverage is, while not wanting to name the people responsible.

I almost wish they could just kind of call the last games a tie and cancel, because they are overrunning the actual US side of the playoffs and they don't mean anything.  

Sutter in an interview being grilled about saying the Flames were a bottom of the pile team, and then saying well they aren't a top team.  Ow.  He's like a de-motivational speaker, the guy you get to make you feel worse.  :rofl:

Posted (edited)

I haven't watched much hockey this season and really had no idea the Avs were as good as they are.  Caught that game last night and damn the top line on that team is good.  Big, strong, and lightning fast hombres.

Edited by ATX29

On 5/18/2021 at 8:59 AM, ATX29 said:

I haven't watched much hockey this season and really had no idea the Avs were as good as they are.  Caught that game last night and damn the top line on that team is good.  Big, strong, and lightning fast hombres.

Hi!  I haven't watched them yet, but was impressed by the scores.  They totally schooled the Flames the last time they met in the playoffs. :omg:

The blinding speed is what I remember the most.  (the whistling of the wind as they shot by...LOL)

Flames finished the season Wednesday afternoon and managed a win.  They lost on Tuesday 4-2, and actually were playing Domingue in goal.  Poor guy hasn't played since March 1 2020.  He was pretty solid for a guy coated in rust.  Word is that Seattle had a scout at Tuesday's game.

And today....it's snowing.  :santasmile:

On 5/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, Mysteriosa said:

I have finally achieved hot weather, which is about to disappear again.  Really?

Poor bunny.  Well maybe he should have stayed home in a pandemic, or something.

:shock:  Did I just read Dostoyevsky and Eric Francis in the same sentence?

I think it was on my mind because the Canucks make me think of a  Russian novel where everything is weird and chaotic and out of control. 

On 5/17/2021 at 11:56 PM, Mysteriosa said:

Must we have all your leftovers, LOL?

Ooo, interesting. I think Russia is a bit scary!  But also eccentric. Hartley obviously has a knack for winning.

I am beginning to think we might cycle through all our old coaches.  We've got Sutter back, at least until our new GM gets rid.

I've forgotten what real hockey is like...

Hmmmm.  So I forgot the Flames were playing and then they were playing late so I still listened to periods 2 and 3.  At first they were beating Vancouver 5-1, and the commentators had just finished saying that Vancouver had nothing left, when V. started to score.  And score, and score.  I'm like, is Calgary actually going to lose this game now?  :haha:  And then they won in OT.  Fun=our colour commentator describing how awful our defensive coverage is, while not wanting to name the people responsible.

I almost wish they could just kind of call the last games a tie and cancel, because they are overrunning the actual US side of the playoffs and they don't mean anything.  

Sutter in an interview being grilled about saying the Flames were a bottom of the pile team, and then saying well they aren't a top team.  Ow.  He's like a de-motivational speaker, the guy you get to make you feel worse.  :rofl:

Unfortunately for you, you don't get Jim Benning. Not yet at least. It sounds like he came very close to being fired this time. The extra years remaining on his contract may have saved him. He really does have nine lives. The rumors about him being fired have flipped back and forth for months, and were back on again this week. It could change again, but he is probably going to appear in a press conference with Travis Green tomorrow, and that should stop the wheel, ensuring he will remain the GM through at least the start of next season. Will he survive the first 5-game losing streak, with fans back in the building to chant things? That's another question.

It sounds like they've agreed to an extension with Travis Green. That's very surprising, if it is announced. The way the Canucks treated him this season was disgraceful. Supposedly, Jim Benning wanted to give him a contract. Ownership or money was the problem. A lame duck head coach is a bad idea for a number of reasons, but it's also a poor way to treat people you supposedly value. That's just how the organization does things now I guess. I find Green a bit overrated, but the coaching is still more competent than the general managing or ownershipping.

Treliving's future isn't certain yet either it sounds like. I am sort of jealous of Calgary's ability to not turn the situation into a completely ridiculous media circus.

I felt embarrassed for the players in the Calgary/Vancouver games while the playoffs were going on. I don't get why the NHL made them do it.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:59 AM, ATX29 said:

Their MackInnon line is incredible but they are also ridiculously deep. They will be a tough out. Would be fun to see them go up against Vegas and Tampa.

Not a good start to the playoffs for Toronto. That Paul Byron goal was devastating. That was scary what happened to Tavares.

Happy to see Edmonton lose too.

Yeah...after watching the Avs/Blues game last night, i think it's going to be very hard to stop Colorado.  MacKinnon, Rantinin, Mekar...really everybody on that team is just so ridiculously fast and skilled.

Every time I watch a hockey game nowadays it always takes me back to my early 20's when I was a huge fan of the sport.  This was in the late '90s and and I was a big Red Wings fan.  Needless to say, that RW/Avs rivalry was just as good as it gets for me.  The level of hockey being played today is no doubt good...but nothing will ever compete with that era and that rivalry imo.  The best rivalry in sports history I'd say, at least during my lifetime.

Great 1st period in the Pens/Isles game.  Should be a wild finish to this one.  We have decided to Stan the Islanders for tonight.

Looking forward to TB/Fla also.  Great night of hockey.  Nothing compares to the SC Playoffs.

On 5/20/2021 at 7:15 PM, ShortstopVM said:

:censored: THE ISLANDERS! 😡

:P  It looks like we're stuck with them for a while.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, RWG said:

I think it was on my mind because the Canucks make me think of a  Russian novel where everything is weird and chaotic and out of control. 

Every unhappy family  hockey team is unhappy in its own way...Tolstoy. :lmao:

On 5/20/2021 at 11:50 PM, RWG said:

Treliving's future isn't certain yet either it sounds like. I am sort of jealous of Calgary's ability to not turn the situation into a completely ridiculous media circus.

I felt embarrassed for the players in the Calgary/Vancouver games while the playoffs were going on. I don't get why the NHL made them do it.

Give it time.  I'm sure we will do something headline worthy in a bit.  I'm glad we're not getting Benning.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Monahan who played some terrible hockey, had to go for hip surgery (I think they should have just pulled him).  Tanev meanwhile was playing with broken ribs and a torn pectoral muscle.  Markstrom had briefly had a concussion.

We played a meaningless bunch of games and Dube got a concussion so couldn't play for Canada.  :mellow:

Watched the end bit of triple OT where Edmonton lost.  Smith was battling hard for them.  Toronto is doing well, I don't know how I feel about that.  Ron Maclean got in trouble.  Bonus marks for those who understand any of his obscure jokes.  Penguins are out.  Minnesota is hanging in against Vegas (Talbot in goal!).

On 5/22/2021 at 12:53 PM, ATX29 said:

Every time I watch a hockey game nowadays it always takes me back to my early 20's when I was a huge fan of the sport.  This was in the late '90s and and I was a big Red Wings fan.  Needless to say, that RW/Avs rivalry was just as good as it gets for me.  The level of hockey being played today is no doubt good...but nothing will ever compete with that era and that rivalry imo.  The best rivalry in sports history I'd say, at least during my lifetime.

Beating the Red Wings in 2004 was the most amazing thing the Flames did, because the Red Wings had ridiculous amounts of talent.  

4 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

Beating the Red Wings in 2004 was the most amazing thing the Flames did, because the Red Wings had ridiculous amounts of talent.  

I remember that series and you're right...the Wings were stacked but Calgary outplayed them and deserved the win. I look forward to the Flames being back in the Playoffs...the League is better when they are good. 

On 5/22/2021 at 11:53 AM, ATX29 said:

I don't in general care for that 90s/early 200s era of NHL hockey, the scoring was so low, but you are right about the Detroit/Colorado rivalry. That was big boy hockey. Those Red Wings teams had a ton of skill but they also had those dirty guys like Holmstrom. The powerhouse team from that era I don't like is New Jersey. They just trapped the life out of the game.

I most liked the NHL from after the lockout in 2004 until around the 2013 lockout. The playoffs kind of got taken over by bigger slower teams for a few years after that but I'd say the last 4-5 years the league has generally become faster and more exciting, even though there are still problems with the game.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:46 PM, Mysteriosa said:

:P  It looks like we're stuck with them for a while.

Every unhappy family  hockey team is unhappy in its own way...Tolstoy. :lmao:

Give it time.  I'm sure we will do something headline worthy in a bit.  I'm glad we're not getting Benning.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Monahan who played some terrible hockey, had to go for hip surgery (I think they should have just pulled him).  Tanev meanwhile was playing with broken ribs and a torn pectoral muscle.  Markstrom had briefly had a concussion.

We played a meaningless bunch of games and Dube got a concussion so couldn't play for Canada.  :mellow:

Watched the end bit of triple OT where Edmonton lost.  Smith was battling hard for them.  Toronto is doing well, I don't know how I feel about that.  Ron Maclean got in trouble.  Bonus marks for those who understand any of his obscure jokes.  Penguins are out.  Minnesota is hanging in against Vegas (Talbot in goal!).

Tanev is such a warrior. I don't like that he plays for Calgary now.

After everything, the Oilers' season ends up lasting five days longer than the Canucks' and Flames'. McDavid is 24 now, we haven't gotten to see him in the playoffs too much yet.

lol @ Ron Maclean. Tbh the reason I'd probably cut him some slack on this one is that he is often says does weird comparisons that make no sense to anyone but hm, and has a way of rambling off at the end of his sentences, so he's capable of accidentally making a bad joke on air.

I am slowly starting to begin watching hockey more now after ignoring it a lot of the year. Vegas-Colorado will be fun I think. So will Carolina-Tampa.

51 minutes ago, RWG said:

I don't in general care for that 90s/early 200s era of NHL hockey, the scoring was so low, but you are right about the Detroit/Colorado rivalry. That was big boy hockey. Those Red Wings teams had a ton of skill but they also had those dirty guys like Holmstrom. The powerhouse team from that era I don't like is New Jersey. They just trapped the life out of the game.

I most liked the NHL from after the lockout in 2004 until around the 2013 lockout. The playoffs kind of got taken over by bigger slower teams for a few years after that but I'd say the last 4-5 years the league has generally become faster and more exciting, even though there are still problems with the game.

After everything, the Oilers' season ends up lasting five days longer than the Canucks' and Flames'. McDavid is 24 now, we haven't gotten to see him in the playoffs too much yet.

lol @ Ron Maclean. Tbh the reason I'd probably cut him some slack on this one is that he is often says does weird comparisons that make no sense to anyone but hm, and has a way of rambling off at the end of his sentences, so he's capable of accidentally making a bad joke on air.

I am slowly starting to begin watching hockey more now after ignoring it a lot of the year. Vegas-Colorado will be fun I think. So will Carolina-Tampa.

Thats what made that rivalry so great...the teams not only hated each other with a passion but they were also the two most skilled teams in the league at the time imo.  Both teams loaded with guys who could score or drop the gloves at any moment.  I couldn't get enough of it.

On an unrelated note...has there ever been a team who has more problems closing out a series than Toronto?  I want them to be good so bad bc it's good for hockey...but damn this is getting old.

I just realized that Bruins/Fishsticks also overlaps with another Boston-New York matchup: Celtics/Nets (NBA). :omg: We've got a nice Boston vs. NY (teams that I hate) double header going on here 😏

22 hours ago, ATX29 said:

Thats what made that rivalry so great...the teams not only hated each other with a passion but they were also the two most skilled teams in the league at the time imo.  Both teams loaded with guys who could score or drop the gloves at any moment.  I couldn't get enough of it.

On an unrelated note...has there ever been a team who has more problems closing out a series than Toronto?  I want them to be good so bad bc it's good for hockey...but damn this is getting old.

There's something that's never been right with the Leafs. They have all the pressure on the world on them yet are never ready to go in these big games. Marner and Matthews have vanished as usual. This is why people are hesitant to put them in the top tier contender group despite the level of skill. Credit to the Habs, who are emptying the tank, but they probably wouldn't have been a playoff team in a normal year. If the Leafs blow this one tomorrow it will take the take for their worst playoff disaster yet.

17 hours ago, RWG said:

There's something that's never been right with the Leafs. They have all the pressure on the world on them yet are never ready to go in these big games. Marner and Matthews have vanished as usual. This is why people are hesitant to put them in the top tier contender group despite the level of skill. Credit to the Habs, who are emptying the tank, but they probably wouldn't have been a playoff team in a normal year. If the Leafs blow this one tomorrow it will take the take for their worst playoff disaster yet.

It's a great to watch a game 7 between 2 of hockey's original 6...but you're so right about Toronto.  The on-ice product, particularly in big games over the last several seasons, just is not indicative of the talent level of this team.  They simply must find a way to win this one.  Who is going to step up?

On 5/30/2021 at 12:39 AM, RWG said:

Mine, all mine!  

On 5/30/2021 at 12:39 AM, RWG said:

Poor old McDavid.  All that talent languishing.  Edmonton.  Hum, ho.   

On 5/30/2021 at 1:34 AM, ATX29 said:

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't quite believe they could screw this up again.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:03 AM, ShortstopVM said:

That awkward moment when the second round begins before the first round can even end 🙄

I'm finding it very difficult to keep straight.

On 5/30/2021 at 5:39 PM, ShortstopVM said:

I just realized that Bruins/Fishsticks also overlaps with another Boston-New York matchup: Celtics/Nets (NBA). :omg: We've got a nice Boston vs. NY (teams that I hate) double header going on here 😏

Pretty neat.  Oh no, the Fishsticks won game 1.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:55 PM, RWG said:

There's something that's never been right with the Leafs. They have all the pressure on the world on them yet are never ready to go in these big games.

All the money they spent, and they didn't make it out of the first round again.  And game 7 was at home, with a few fans.  You'd think it would be motivation.  I heard Toronto described by their radio announcers as "tighter than banjo wire"!   They don't handle the pressure well at all.  

Wow.  Avalanche beat Vegas 7-1.  

Posted (edited)

Vegas-Colorado really is fun to watch. Constant chances at both ends. Way better effort from Vegas, but the Avs take Game 2 in OT. Hard to see them losing 4/5.

It's a shame to see Buffalo win the draft lottery again. This is the eighth straight year they'll pick top 9: two of those have been second overall and two will have been 1st overalls. The NHL needs to adjust the rules to prevent dysfunctional organizations from hoarding elite talent. Because Bettman refuses to ever reverse rule changes, I think we're stuck with this format until the next commissioner comes in in 2066.

What can you say about the Leafs other than LOL. That Marner contract just looks awful now that we have comparables, and now that we see him be the primary reason the Leafs lost to a team they finished 23 points ahead of in a shortened season. They are lying to themselves if they think they can address the reasons for this collapse without touching any of their big contracts.

The Leafs were really smartly run for a bit and now they're a team that signs Simmonds 41-yo Joe Thornton and trades 1st-round picks for an injured Nick Foligno. Where things first went awry for them imo was the Tavares signing. It did not address a need and the roster changes required to accomodate the player's cap hit have made the addition not worth it. The only way that signing would have made sense is if they'd won cups by now. He's on the wrong side of 30 now and the contract is untradable.

22 hours ago, Mysteriosa said:

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't quite believe they could screw this up again.

I'm finding it very difficult to keep straight.

Pretty neat.  Oh no, the Fishsticks won game 1.

All the money they spent, and they didn't make it out of the first round again.  And game 7 was at home, with a few fans.  You'd think it would be motivation.  I heard Toronto described by their radio announcers as "tighter than banjo wire"!   They don't handle the pressure well at all.  

Wow.  Avalanche beat Vegas 7-1.  

It's not that I thought the Leafs were incapable of blowing a 3-1 series lead, but I didn't think they would to this Montreal team. I feel bad for their fans, but it is fun watching the smarmy reporters that cover that team explain this one away.  

It has been nice to see the spectators back in Canadian rinks, even if it is just a few hundred vaccinated healthcare workers. I'm probably not going to a Canucks game next year, but it's nice to know that the reason is that I'm fed up with how horribly they are run and not the virus.

Edited by RWG

On 6/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, RWG said:

It's a shame to see Buffalo win the draft lottery again. This is the eighth straight year they'll pick top 9: two of those have been second overall and two will have been 1st overalls. The NHL needs to adjust the rules to prevent dysfunctional organizations from hoarding elite talent. Because Bettman refuses to ever reverse rule changes, I think we're stuck with this format until the next commissioner comes in in 2066.

btw... the Canucks had the 9th-best odds of winning the lottery and will draft 9th. This marks the first time since the NHL switched to a multi-draw lottery that the Canucks' draft position has not fallen back from their lottery position.

6ef3bffee2dcebd5eec038a5339f8eb6.jpg

This is a little late but I'm curious as to y'alls thoughts on the Scheifele hit on Evans in Habs/Jets Game 1.  Is the 4 game suspension justified or excessive?  Or is it possibly not enough?

4 hours ago, ATX29 said:

This is a little late but I'm curious as to y'alls thoughts on the Scheifele hit on Evans in Habs/Jets Game 1.  Is the 4 game suspension justified or excessive?  Or is it possibly not enough?

Imo it is a wreckless hit and in an ideal world, four games would feel like a healthy punishment. But it is harsh in that decades prior, those hits were allowed on the basis that it would have been on Evans to keep his head up in that situation (he was trying to score), and a lot of players instinctively still think like that.

I don't buy Scheifele's explanation and think he was just reacting emotionally to Evans scoring to put the game away, but Scheifele doesn't have a record and had never taken a charging penalty, so I thought he might get two. It's impossible for me to imagine the Department of Player Safety doing four games in the playoffs if it's Tom Wilson.

Part of me wonders if DOPS wanted a lighter suspension, or even none, and Bettman stepped in to prevent bad optics on a head injury. We know that's happened in the past.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2021 at 11:59 PM, RWG said:

Imo it is a wreckless hit and in an ideal world, four games would feel like a healthy punishment. But it is harsh in that decades prior, those hits were allowed on the basis that it would have been on Evans to keep his head up in that situation (he was trying to score), and a lot of players instinctively still think like that.

I don't buy Scheifele's explanation and think he was just reacting emotionally to Evans scoring to put the game away, but Scheifele doesn't have a record and had never taken a charging penalty, so I thought he might get two. It's impossible for me to imagine the Department of Player Safety doing four games in the playoffs if it's Tom Wilson.

Part of me wonders if DOPS wanted a lighter suspension, or even none, and Bettman stepped in to prevent bad optics on a head injury. We know that's happened in the past.

Can't argue with any of this...particularly Scheifele's explanation being bs.  Anyone who watches that play can see the intent and the frustration boiling over in Scheifele.

I also agree the Bettman may have had something to do with the punishment.  In that respect, I'm almost surprised that it wasn't 6 games just to ensure that Scheifele doesn't get back in the series risking a slugfest.

Edited by ATX29

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, ATX29 said:

Can't argue with any of this...particularly Scheifele's explanation being bs.  Anyone who watches that play can see the intent and the frustration boiling over in Scheifele.

I also agree the Bettman may have had something to do with the punishment.  In that respect, I'm almost surprised that it wasn't 6 games just to ensure that Scheifele doesn't get back in the series risking a slugfest.

Luckily for them, there is no series for Sheifele to come back to now.

Montreal had a hot start this year, trended down pretty much all season, fired their coach, and still barely made the playoffs. I guess they picked the right time to win seven straight.

It's pretty funny that this team is going to have to go up against Vegas or Colorado. They're not going to carry the play 5-on-5 against them like they did the Jets. Only thing is the Habs will be well rested, and whoever wins that series will be banged up. Vegas has really turned the dial and so far Colorado hasn't been able to adjust. Vegas has dominated the last seven or eight periods.

I am not really watching the Bruins/Islanders series but I'm not surprised to hear how it's going.

I don't think it's possible to just beat the Bruins in the playoffs without help from the refs. That's the only way they can lose. As always with them--hook, clutch, grab as much as possible, assume the refs will call it 50/50, and if they don't--just complain.

If the league is fining the Bruins' players for plays the refs aren't calling, you're not getting a bad whistle.

Edited by RWG

Fishstick fans trolling the Bruins with "New York Saints" chants last night. It would've been great if I didn't hate the Islanders so much 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Go Bolts. I can't stand the thought of the NBA's Brooklyn Nets and now the Isles winning Championships, let alone in the same season🤬🤬🤬

Edited by ShortstopVM