idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Spurrious

♫ ♪ Maelyn Jarmon Fan Thread ♪ ♫

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

New puppy. 

Queen is always loving, and Wilco's ADORABLE! Omg all the love to them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, TeamAudra said:

New puppy. 

Well, unlike Kylo, Wilco is white and most likely American, so let's hope this one survives Donald Trump's era lol. 😂

Edited by echoap
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, echoap said:

Well, unlike Kylo, Wilco is white and most likely American, so let's hope this one survives Donald Trump's era lol. 😂

I don’t know about that, but Kylo did come from Mexico, so....

I feel really terrible about Kylo, but Wilco appears to be much healthier to start with. 

5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t know about that, but Kylo did come from Mexico, so....

I feel really terrible about Kylo, but Wilco appears to be much healthier to start with. 

That was one of the two details that I was contrasting in the joke. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, echoap said:

That was one of the two details that I was contrasting in the joke. 

Me reading too fast, I guess....

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:02 AM, echoap said:

That's a steely wit you're packing.  I'm sure someone will be offended but that's just funny....even in the face of a triple tragedy.

14 hours ago, Spurrious said:

That's a steely wit you're packing.  I sure someone will be offended but that's just funny....even in the face of a triple tragedy.

You have no idea how many political jokes crossed my mind as soon as Queen got her first puppy :haha:

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

"Well, unlike Kylo, Wilco is white and most likely American, so let's hope this one survives Donald Trump's era lol." - echoap

Dog Lol GIF

but also:

the big bang theory sheldon GIF

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

QUEEN! AND YES

Women need to support each other, so hopefully all you ladies and I will do that as our Queen does!

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

QUEEN! AND YES

Women need to support each other, so hopefully all you ladies and I will do that as our Queen does!

Queen 😍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

QUEEN! AND YES

Yassssssssssssssss!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, QueenMae16 said:

QUEEN! AND YES

Love It Heart GIF

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

WAIT y'all she's from Texas, is she one of those people that don't support BLM (not trying to make generalizations, it just happens that its exceptionally conservative, and conservatives tend to not support BLM compared to liberals, although I know that there are many, many exceptions both ways)

Edited by ashwinner

1 minute ago, ashwinner said:

WAIT y'all im scared... she's from Texas, is she one of those people that don't support BLM (not trying to make generalizations, it just happens that its exceptionally conservative, and conservatives tend to not support BLM compared to liberals, although I know that there are many, many exceptions both ways)

She posted for Blackout Tuesday and the caption of the photo is BLACK LIVES MATTER in all caps, plus she's been in New York for eight+ years which is pretty liberal as far as cities go.

Texas as a whole might be more conservative, but you gotta keep in mind that it's a big state with lots of rural parts and some bigger metropolitan areas sprinkled throughout and those urban pockets tend to be more liberal than the rest of the state.

• Like 1

Just now, VintageVoice said:

She posted for Blackout Tuesday and the caption of the photo is BLACK LIVES MATTER in all caps, plus she's been in New York for eight+ years which is pretty liberal as far as cities go.

Texas as a whole might be more conservative, but you gotta keep in mind that it's a big state with lots of rural parts and some bigger metropolitan areas sprinkled throughout and those urban pockets tend to be more liberal than the rest of the state.

Totally, I remember hearing that a lot of the big cities are pretty liberal, I just know nothing about Frisco, Texas so I had to ask. Thanks!

Just now, ashwinner said:

Totally, I remember hearing that a lot of the big cities are pretty liberal, I just know nothing about Frisco, Texas so I had to ask. Thanks!

Frisco's part of the Dallas-Fort Worth bubble and of the major cities it's middle-of-the-road in terms of the political spectrum compared to others (ie, Austin or Houston vs. Amarillo or Corpus Christi), so it's a fair question.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I feel like I lose a few brain cells every time I log into IDF these days..... 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

Frisco's part of the Dallas-Fort Worth bubble and of the major cities it's middle-of-the-road in terms of the political spectrum compared to others (ie, Austin or Houston vs. Amarillo or Corpus Christi), so it's a fair question.

But is it a fair question?  To be concerned about someones politics or anything else because of where they are from?  That feels like purposeful discrimination from where I sit.  Would it still be a fair question if the question was about making broad assumptions about someone from say ....Kenya?  If anything ever needed to be canceled ...it would be making assumptions about people based on anything other than how they live their lives. 

All the worse to make an assumption about Queen Maelyn like that.  That is just fu*ked up. 🙂

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

But is it a fair question?  To be concerned about someones politics or anything else because of where they are from?  That feels like purposeful discrimination from where I sit.  Would it still be a fair question if the question was about making broad assumptions about someone from say ....Kenya?  If anything ever needed to be canceled ...it would be making assumptions about people based on anything other than how they live their lives. 

All the worse to make an assumption about Queen Maelyn like that.  That is just fu*ked up. 

Preach! 

3 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

All the worse to make an assumption about Queen Maelyn like that.  That is just fu*ked up. 

I'd rather have someone ask questions and challenge their own biases (which is something I'm still working on, as evidenced by the fact I thought it was a fair question) than just assume that someone is something particular because of where they come from without stopping and thinking about it.

In an ideal world, people would judge only on how others live their lives but snap judgments based on things like hometown/age/family background/etc. are common because they're easier and require less mental resources. I definitely think making an assumption about someone like that is f***ed up, but the person who asked the question originally is one of the younger regular posters on this forum and is still likely working to overcome those biases, which is not an easy/instantaneous process - with no room for dialogue, people can't change and develop the critical thinking skills to challenge those assumptions they make. 

On a Maelyn-focused note before we completely derail the thread, enjoy this gem from her YouTube page that's a bit older.

5 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

I'd rather have someone ask questions and challenge their own biases (which is something I'm still working on, as evidenced by the fact I thought it was a fair question) than just assume that someone is something particular because of where they come from without stopping and thinking about it.

In an ideal world, people would judge only on how others live their lives but snap judgments based on things like hometown/age/family background/etc. are common because they're easier and require less mental resources. I definitely think making an assumption about someone like that is f***ed up, but the person who asked the question originally is one of the younger regular posters on this forum and is still likely working to overcome those biases, which is not an easy/instantaneous process - with no room for dialogue, people can't change and develop the critical thinking skills to challenge those assumptions they make. 

On a Maelyn-focused note before we completely derail the thread, enjoy this gem from her YouTube page that's a bit older.

Ok....but often, letting those kinds of things go unchallenged...is taken as tacit approval.   I'm all for frank discussions...it's far more healthy in the long run. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you guys for explaining to me why what I said was coming from a place of bias, I'll be more careful! I was thinking from a statistical standpoint, but in general I should be more careful about how what I say sounds, whatever the intention. If someone wants to discuss this with me more, I'd love to talk in DMs about it, I don't want to saturate this thread w/ something off topic.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have brought up something political, even if I would have written something that was not biased.  

Thanks again!

Edited by ashwinner

To get back on track, I want to share one of my favorite Maelyn performances (to be honest, I don't actually know which one is my favorite? I haven't really thought about it because they're all exceptional). I like this one a lot because it has everything the other performances bring, with perfect pitch and the Maelyn™️ touch, but it also flips a song that I always heard as a meme ("All around me are familiar faces"), and made it into something that had emotion and meaning to it!

13 hours ago, Spurrious said:

Would it still be a fair question if the question was about making broad assumptions about someone from say ....Kenya?  

I dunno. Call me race-ist, but I would never challenge a Kenyan to a long distance race 🤣

5 hours ago, echoap said:

I dunno. Call me race-ist, but I would never challenge a Kenyan to a long distance race 🤣

Dang.  You actually bit on that.  Took you long enough.

• Haha 1