Is Kelly the worst Voice coach of all time?

mikeyps

Is Kelly the worst Voice coach of all time?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is Kelly the worst Voice coach of all time?

• Yes.
    • Shakira exists. But Kelly is closing the gap.

If you think Myracle was her best performer then we arent listening to the same thing but that's been obvious for awhile though.

I mean out of her bottom three yes. Everyone has their own tastes but the general consensus was last night Jake bombed, and Kyndal didn’t do as well as she could’ve (even her fans were saying that). Myracle, on the other hand nailed the song choice.

I mean out of her bottom three yes. Everyone has their own tastes but the general consensus was last night Jake bombed, and Kyndal didn’t do as well as she could’ve (even her fans were saying that). Myracle, on the other hand nailed the song choice.

Myracle had a better song this is true but she didn't do much with it or any of her performances all season long. The fact that she was given the best song despite being someone that no one really cared about is just stupid.

Kelly's far from the worst coach on the show. Her personality is one in a million even if it can get a little irritating at times.

However this season? Atrocious. Her decisions have been terrible all season. It really does feel like she's becoming an Adam 2.0 without the "I don't care about this" attitude.

She won twice in a row. She can't be that bad. :flowers:

I think it's the chair. She has become the female version of Adam with the bad decisions and all the lies she tells the contestants. :ph34r:

Adam use to do well early on at least. So maybe the same thing is happening to Kelly. But Cee-Loo, Shakira and Gwen still exist so Kelly is not the worst.

Myracle had a better song this is true but she didn't do much with it or any of her performances all season long. The fact that she was given the best song despite being someone that no one really cared about is just stupid.

So because "no one cares about her," which is debatable btw, Myracle does not deserve a good or decent song and deserves to be treated like garbage. I guess that is excellent coaching in your book. I don't know why people are acting like Kyndal's song was terrible. I actually just realized that it is a current Dan + Shay/Justin Beiber song. All she had to do was sing it well and she probably would have had a decent chance but she literally botched a song that doesn't seem that hard to sing. I like Kyndal but I can be objective for two seconds. Not sure why she deserves a save when her performance was not exceptional. Like there could be a case if she actually you know...maybe sang well. I would argue that people with much worse song choices manage to at least sing it decently and still made it. Rose and Joanna's, especially Rose's, song choices were worse than Kyndal's honestly.

Edited by joe14

I don't know why people are acting like Kyndal song was terrible. I actually just realized that it is a current Dan + Shay/Justin Beiber song.

Wait are you really out here trying to say because it was a Justin Bieber that makes it good? If anything that just reinforces my point.

Edited by CGlaserFan

Wait are you really out here trying to say because it was a Justin Bieber that makes it good? If anything that just reinforces my point.

That's all you got from that comment :dead: Ignore the other people in the song to make your point I guess. Never referenced the song being good or bad. I just said it should have been an easy song to sing and she literally struggled through it. Justin Beiber is not exactly a vocalist. Her song was no worse than a lot of other people's songs.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked and bummed that people are saying that Gwen's the worst of all time. She's at least had one finalist while Shakira's the only coach in the history of the entire show not to ever have a finalist. And really? Are people that pissed over Jake and Kyndal going home? As was said on another thread, they both essentially did themselves in. I wanted them both to make it, too, but I can totally understand Gwen picking Myracle instead. You're all just pissy because Myracle, someone who's never talked about here at all made it through over two people talked about a lot here. Nothing more, nothing less.

But answering the poll question, no. Kelly's not the worst coach of all time. Especially since, yes, Shakira exists. Kelly made some piss-poor decisions last season (Mikaela's been mentioned, but Rizzi should be, too) and even worse ones this season, but if she still manages to win in spite of them, I don't know how we can call her anywhere near the worst.

To answer the poll: No, Kelly is not. Anyway, I don't think it's fair to pick out any judge as the all-time worst since there are so many variables season to season. Example, Kelly was arguably the best coach in S14 and S15, AND arguably the worst, decisions-wise, in S16 and S17 (so far). But that's taking it season by season, and it's still debatable. So I don't think you could extrapolate that across all 17 seasons and expect to come to any meaningful conclusion. Same goes for any judge. What's the point anyway? To tear down someone just to feel a little better about yourself? Nah, not my cup of tea.

All these coaches were brought to the show based on the careers they had -- that's the criteria, whether you like it or not. It's not like any of them went to music coaching school. All of them basically wrote a bunch of songs (Blake is the exception here; he doesn't write often), and recorded/performed them to the relative satisfaction of a fickle public, went on to sell a ton of records, won a bunch of awards, etc. Blake has 0 Grammys, but he has 10 nominations, a boat load of CMAs, and has sold over 10 mil albums. John has also sold over 10 mil albums, but has more Grammys than any coach in the show's history except for Usher and Alicia. Kelly has 3 Grammys, 15 noms, and sold 25+ mil albums. Gwen has 3 Grammys, 18 noms, sold over 45 mil albums, and has had the longest career of any coach (1986-present). My point here is these "coaches" may never have attended coaching school, but they each bring a ton of experiences and knowledge to the table. All WE should ever realistically expect is that they earnestly try to transfer some of that knowledge unto contestants. I really do see them try to do that, and that's invaluable stuff to a budding musician. But from there, it's really up to the contestants themselves to absorb and make the most of that knowledge both on the show and after. If you watch the BTS stuff, there are actual trained coaches who do most of the hands-on coaching (based off notes from the "coaches"). Heck, the panel aren't trained decision-makers either, but I actually think that's a part of what makes the show entertaining -- the unpredictability factor, if you will. We may moan about every "bad" decision, rightfully so perhaps, but isn't "reality" just a bunch of right AND wrong decisions, and the cause and effect of that? So be careful what you wish for. Next thing you know you'll be claiming the show is too perfectly scripted. It's bad enough we have to deal with forced story arcs and cast archetypes.

Lol, ya'll acting like the coaching matters more than the artists that actually pick the coaches. Sure, there are variables to it but it's not like Gwen was previously given artists that could've ever won. This season, she's actually done well so far given the people on her team so far. She's also had the longest / most successful career and the best stage presence of any of the other coaches, and knows how to cross genres successfully. Has any of the other coaches done that? No.

Ya'll pressed over Myracle being saved over Kendall and Jake need to take a seat. Neither of them would've been a finalist. Kyndal would've never made it with that vibrato and Jake would've never made it being that tentative on every performance even if I loved both of them.

Edited by Amunre

I gave up on Kelly a couple of seasons ago.

Kelly is really good at hyping up her contestants; she jumps, she cries, she does everything a frontrunner needs to get votes.

Now, and herein lies the cause of all our problems, her taste is trash (from my perspective, of course) and even worse, she's biased AF. Kelly has an unhealthy obsession for generic male country singers (nostalgia) and big voiced R&B/soul contestants. It's ok to like these type of acts but if you going to push your damn button for other contestants with different strengths/qualities just to ignore them right after the blinds, then you're a horrible coach.

She's not the worst but she's so very disappointing :thumbsdown:

Very questionable decisions from the start this season...but no she's not the worst.

I don't think she wants to win anymore tho. With her talk show, Vegas, and God knows what else...I don't think she has the time to devote to a winner like she did with Brynn and Cheval.

CeeLo exists

One does not forget how CeeLo had an artist like Trevin Hunte on his team, and somehow managed to NOT get him to win. CeeLo gave that man "Wind Beneath My Wings" out of nowhere without stopping to think if it was even a good match for his style and voice, and GOOD LORD, 7 years later I'm still salty.

In all seriousness, I don't even know how anyone could seriously call Kelly "the worst Voice coach of all time" when she coached two winners in her first 2 seasons. Only reason she was destroyed in Season 16 was because of the format, which heavily favored Blake above all else.

Not to mention that she is one of the most connected coaches on the show; she gives more visible opportunities and support to her former contestants than any other coach. (Miley, Blake, Alicia, and Adam have also done a ton to help their former contestants. But Kelly goes above and beyond. She has had Lynnea Moorer perform on stage with her, got Brynn Cartelli at a Macy's parade, got Chevel Shepherd at a NASCAR game, etc.)

TL;DR Unpopular opinion, but Kelly is nowhere near being the worst coach. Heck, I wouldn't even say she is a bad coach at all.

Edited by Bouli
  • Like 1

I think she did amazing with that song and is a dark horse and people did care about her. Her audition was great, and her battle was good but boring but she definitely gave one of the top 5 performances of the night Monday, and definitely the best of the night bottom 3 Gwen had to pick from

I think she did amazing with that song and is a dark horse and people did care about her. Her audition was great, and her battle was good but boring but she definitely gave one of the top 5 performances of the night Monday, and definitely the best of the night bottom 3 Gwen had to pick from

I do not share your optimism about her future or her past but to each their own I guess.

I don't think she wants to win anymore tho. With her talk show, Vegas, and God knows what else...I don't think she has the time to devote to a winner like she did with Brynn and Cheval.

Yeah. It's mostly a job for hubby tho, but he probably told her enough for now. :flowers:

Kelly is simultaneously the worst coach and the best coach.

Her individual decisions are confounding, yet she’s won 2/3 seasons and she managed to get the WC winner.

She’s also incredibly supportive of her contestants. Kaleb Lee was on her talk show today.