Charlie Mason - The Voice Reviews

istersay

TEAM BLAKE

Ricky Duran, “Small Town” (Grade: C) | “Every time Ricky gets on that stage, I know Ricky’s gonna kill it,” Blake told us before his performance. But his John Mellencamp cover seemed sorta… eh, uninspired. Ricky sang it well, and he worked the stage as comfortably as if it was his backyard. Yet it was kinda a yawn. It didn’t allow Ricky to show off his Ricky-ness, practically at all. Afterwards, Blake said that he wanted America to vote his contestant through because he was, basically, reliable and nice. Again, yawn. Ricky deserved (and could have done) better.

Cali Wilson, “Toxic” (Grade: B-) | Pre-performance, Blake suggested that Cali was just beginning to come into her own as an artist. On stage, she backed up that notion with a Britney Spears cover that was a little all over the map, yes, but at least interesting. There were pitch issues, and half the time, I wasn’t sure WTH she was going for, but at least I was never bored. Messy and weird and… well, hey, at least interesting. As John put it, “It was really different.” Good? Mm… debatable. But different? Definitely.

Gracee Shriver, “American Honey” (Grade: C) | Ahead of Gracee’s performance, Blake seemed excited to help choose songs for her that would show off her unique (goaty) tone. I wasn’t sure that he would be so excited after this. Gracee has talent, for sure. But her Lady Antebellum cover fell as flat as roadkill run down three times over. Kelly gave her credit afterwards for not being thrown by a glitch that caused her to give up her guitar. Her coach wanted us to be wowed by how far she’d come from a rehearsal we hadn’t seen. Mmkay.

Kat Hammock, “God Only Knows” (Grade: B ) | Prior to taking the stage, Kat, we were told by Blake, just might be the deadliest contestant on the show. Once she hit the mic, she did so with an ethereal rendition of the Beach Boys’ classic that would have fit in nicely on a Lana Del Rey album. It was kinda fantastically bizarre, almost spooky. I wasn’t even sure that it was always in pitch. Yet I loved it. If I’ve been suckered again into being wowed by one of those hippy-dippy fairy girls that gets eliminated sooner than later, I am gonna be so pissed, you will hear about it for the rest of the season! Just sayin’!

Ricky Braddy, “Roll With It” (Grade: C) | Before Ricky took to the stage, Blake suggested that his live-wire quality made him a force to be reckoned with. When he stepped into the spotlight, he did so with confidence to spare. And his voice never faltered on his Steve Winwood cover. He still strikes me as being as artificial as the coaches’ compliments about contestants’ wardrobes, but I couldn’t fault him on vocals. This was really good karaoke. Afterwards, Blake offered “congratulations on a great performance,” but I couldn’t help but notice that he’d saved his strongest pleas for votes for Kat.

TEAM GWEN

Rose Short, “What Have You Done for Me Lately?” (Grade: B-) | “Everybody is scared of Rose,” Gwen said before she took the stage. Mind you, everybody also freaking loves Rose. When she stepped behind the mic… s—. I wanted to be crazy about it. I’m bonkers for Rose. Everybody loves her, I might have mentioned. But it started off breathy and less powerful than I thought would keep her safe. It was by no means bad. But it wasn’t the slam dunk that we all know she’s capable of. She went for broke, free-styling later in the song… however, eh. I was worried. Kickass singer, lame-ass song selection. Maybe I’m wrong, though. (It happens — a lot!) Kelly freaked out over Rose’s performance. Gwen was prattling on about how different this performance was from rehearsal when Carson Daly basically cut her off. Perhaps he sensed that she wasn’t getting to a point. (It also happens.)

Kyndal Inskeep, “10,000 Hours” (Grade: C) | Gwen said before Kyndal took to the stage that she had a style to her voice. But behind the mic, she proved that she had more than style, she had a quality to her vocal that made you feel like she was talking — well, singing — right to you. That quality made you lean in and listen closer. Or at least it did me, up to the point where poor Kyndal ran afoul of the kind of pitch problems that would get a baseball player benched. So close to great… she just didn’t quite get there. Afterwards, Gwen marveled that no one sounded like Kyndal… except maybe her coach.

Joana Martinez, “You Can’t Stop the Girl” (Grade: B+) | “The technical side of her voice is crazy,” Gwen said of Joana before she took her turn behind the mic. And that seemed true during her Bebe Rexha cover, sure. But arguably more importantly, Joana reminded us that there’s enough power in her voice to urge — no, insist — that we get off our asses, out of our seats, and engage with her performance. (Of note, all four coaches did give her a standing O.) Gwen’s comments afterwards mainly focused on how grownup and sparkly Joana looked, which made me feel at least a little better about how inane my observations might have been were. Thanks, Gwen.

Myracle Holloway, “Get Here” (Grade: B-) | Myracle, her coach told us pre-showtime, was her team member who was best able to tap into her emotions. And from the get-go, despite apparent problems with her earpiece, she sounded strong. Trouble was, as she went on, it began to feel like she was trying too hard. Myracle has chops, that’s undeniable. And her coach called her performance “extraordinarily beautiful.” But I had a funny feeling Myracle was gonna be singing for the Instant Save tomorrow.

Jake HaldenVang, “Turning Tables” (Grade: C) | Gwen suggested before Jake’s performance that he could be someone that we didn’t see coming. I guess if we hadn’t tuned in before Monday? Anyway, on stage, Jake started off with a bit of a pitch problem that I wanted to forgive as a kinda thank-you for having the nerve to rock up an Adele song. But this wasn’t great — it was more the equivalent of a dude striking a match over and over and over again, and having it never quite catch fire. He’s toast Tuesday.

TEAM KELLY

Shane Q, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You” (Grade: C) | Ahead of Shane’s performance, Kelly reminded us that she thought that he could sing anything. But could he sing it well? Hmm. If I’m not mistaken, Shane bungled the first line of his classic cover, then tried to make us forget it with an initially breathy take on the song. From there, he got louder and louder but had all the momentum of a parked car. “You’re gonna be around for a while,” Blake told Shane afterwards. I hated to admit, I hoped not. Zzz.

Hello Sunday, “Hello” (Grade: B-) | “They’re my powerhouse duo,” Kelly said of the tween pals before they stepped into the spotlight. But, as much as I’ve come to adore them, their power seemed… minimal Monday. They sounded pitchy, at times sharp, and just not nearly as polished as they had up to this point. I also seriously missed the killer harmonies that had been part and parcel of their previous performances. Afterwards, Kelly’s comments focused more on the kids’ energy and boldness than on the actual quality of their vocals here.

Damali, “You Say” (Grade: D) | Kelly called Damali her team’s dark horse before the contestant took her turn behind the mic. Definitely, I didn’t imagine she stood a snowball’s chance in hell of advancing past Tuesday before her performance Monday. When she took to the stage… yeah, I’m afraid she only reinforced that opinion. There’s some oomph to her voice, yeah, but she doesn’t entirely seem to know how to control that oomph. I couldn’t wait for her performance to be over. In the aftermath, Kelly said that Damali needed to believe more in herself. I doubted that tomorrow’s elimination was gonna do wonders for her self-esteem.

Max Boyle, “Falling Slowly” (Grade: B+) | “I call Max Superman, ’cause I got me a superhero,” Kelly told us before Max took to the stage. And when he got his turn at the mic, yeah! Finally, a home-run performance! Well, mostly. There was a bit of a wobble to Max’s Once cover, but the overwhelming impression that it left was 1,000-percent present and emotionally bare. At times, it was so raw that it bordered on unpretty. But overall, this was stunning. No wonder he got all four coaches giving him a standing ovation.

Jake Hoot, “You Lie” (Grade: B ) | Pre-performance, Kelly called Jake one of the most powerful country singers who’s ever been on the show. At the time, I’d thought, “C’mon, Kelly, exaggerate much?” Then, Jake stepped into the spotlight and… yeah, OK, I thought the same thing. Jake was really good — especially when he opened wide his voice on his Reba McEntire cover and let loose — but he was just really good, not best-ever good. Afterwards, Kelly remarked that not every male singer could do what Jake just had. “I think you nailed it.”

TEAM LEGEND

Khalea Lynee, “Love Like This” (Grade: B ) | “She has a honey tone — she’s one of the singers to beat,” John said of this mother of two. And not only did she look as confident as all get-out on stage, her voice was as solid as a brick wall. That said, it didn’t seem like the kind of number that was gonna make people go “OMG!” and cast their vote for Khalea. So in that regard, I feared that it was a misfire. “You make everything look so easy and sound so easy,” John told her afterwards. For her sake, I hoped “everything” would include advancing to the Top 13.

Alex Guthrie, “If I Ain’t Got You” (Grade: A-) | Alex, you’ll recall, was stolen from Team Kelly in the Knockouts — with good reason. His performance had been an “Oh hey, I’m here, and I’m awesome!” moment. Here, yep, he was still awesome. His performance took a minute to really spark, but when it did, the soulfulness of his vocal was pretty damn irresistible. This wasn’t even the best showcase for his vocal, but his former coach said that it made her certain he was finale-bound. John was so delighted by Alex’s showing that he re-welcomed him to Team Legend.

Marybeth Byrd, “Love Me Like You Do” (Grade: A) | John said ahead of Marybeth’s turn on stage that he hoped to unlock the best of her in the Lives. As far as I could hear, he’d come pretty damn close. I didn’t love this quite as much as I did Marybeth’s Blind Audition to “Angel From Montgomery,” but it was a) still pretty spectacular, B) the best of the night (at least at that point) and c) for sure seemed beyond good enough to put her through to the Top 13.

Will Breman, “Style” (Grade: B)| Will’s “energy on stage is contagious,” John said of his contestant who has Asperberger’s. Right he was. Moreover, Will is pretty slick with the way that he reinvents familiar songs, like this Taylor Swift hit. I wouldn’t mind if Will brought a smidgen more polish to his vocals, but there’s no denying that the electricity he generates sweeps you into whatever he’s performing. That’s money in the bank — and for sure a ticket to the Top 13. “You just won The Voice!” Kelly declared. And it almost didn’t sound like hyperbole.

Katie Kadan, “Always Remember Us This Way” (Grade: A+) | Katie, her coach said before her turn on stage, is one of the most distinct contestants on the show. And that might’ve been putting it mildly! I was especially excited to hear Katie tone it down and perform an emotional ballad. As I hoped she would, she freakin’ slayed! Her Lady Gaga cover allowed her to spotlight the feeling that can at times get overwhelmed by the sheer power of her voice. Awe. Some.

who is likely safe?

beast.JPG

IN Danger?

Danger.JPG

https://tvline.com/2019/11/11/the-voice-rec...-live-playoffs/

The Voice Top 13 Performance Recap: Who Owned Dedication Night?

By Charlie Mason / November 18 2019, 7:02 PM PST

Joana Martinez (Team Gwen), “Get On Your Feet” — Grade: C

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “You Are the Best Thing” — Grade: B

Max Boyle (Team Kelly), “Unaware” — Grade: C

Myracle Holloway (Team Gwen), “I’m Your Baby Tonight” — Grade: C+

Will Breman (Team Legend), “I Won’t Give Up” — Grade: D+

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “Danny Boy” — Grade: C

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “I’m Going Down” — Grade: A+

Cali Wilson (Team Blake), “Butterflies” — Grade: B

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “My Wish” — Grade: D

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Mama Knows Best” — Grade: A-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Go Rest High On That Mountain” — Grade: A-

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Danny’s Song” — Grade: B

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “I Turn to You” — Grade: A

So, what did you think of the Top 13’s performances? Vote for the singer who most impressed you below, then hit the comments with your reviews.

https://tvline.com/2019/11/18/the-voice-rec...rt-will-breman/

poll.JPG

https://tvline.com/2019/11/25/the-voice-rec...1-performances/

The Voice Performance Recap: Which of the Top 11 Slayed Their Fan Picks?

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “Without You” — Grade: A

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “I’ll Fly Away” — Grade: C

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “Mercy” — Grade: C-

Joana Martinez (Team Gwen), “Dreaming of You” — Grade: C

Will Breman (Team Legend), “Light My Fire” — Grade: B

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “Maybe I’m Amazed” — Grade: A

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “The Middle” — Grade: B-

Myracle Holloway (Team Gwen), “Everybody Hurts” — Grade: B-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Stars” — Grade: C+

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Every Light in the House” — Grade: C

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Downtown Train” — Grade: A-

Whose performance most impressed you?

IPB Image

The Voice Top 11 Results Show Recap: Was the Right Contestant Eliminated?

By Charlie Mason / November 26 2019, 5:59 PM PST

https://tvline.com/2019/11/26/the-voice-rec...top-11-results/

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “Jealous” — Grade: B-

Myracle Holloway (Team Gwen), “You Are So Beautiful” — Grade: A-

Which of the Top 11 would you have sent home?

shanego.JPG

https://tvline.com/2019/12/02/the-voice-rec...0-performances/

The Voice Top 10 Performance Recap: Who Caught Fire? Who Flamed Out?

By Charlie Mason / December 2 2019, 7:01 PM PST

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “God’s Country” — Grade: A-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Lose You to Love Me” — Grade: B

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “You’re Still the One” — Grade: C+

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “Caribbean Queen (No More Love On the Run)” — Grade: F :lol:

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “That Ain’t My Truck” — Grade: B

Joana Martinez (Team Gwen), “Impossible” — Grade: A

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “Rolling in the Deep” — Grade: A

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Stone Cold” — Grade: C+

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Born Under a Bad Sign” — Grade: B+

Will Breman (Team Legend), “My Body” — Grade: B++

So, which of the Top 10 delivered a performance that you thought was a perfect 10?

IPB Image

https://tvline.com/2019/12/02/the-voice-rec...0-performances/

The Voice Top 10 Performance Recap: Who Caught Fire? Who Flamed Out?

By Charlie Mason / December 2 2019, 7:01 PM PST

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “God’s Country” — Grade: A-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Lose You to Love Me” — Grade: B

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “You’re Still the One” — Grade: C+

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “Caribbean Queen (No More Love On the Run)” — Grade: F :lol:

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “That Ain’t My Truck” — Grade: B

Joana Martinez (Team Gwen), “Impossible” — Grade: A

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “Rolling in the Deep” — Grade: A

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Stone Cold” — Grade: C+

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Born Under a Bad Sign” — Grade: B+

Will Breman (Team Legend), “My Body” — Grade: B++

So, which of the Top 10 delivered a performance that you thought was a perfect 10?

IPB Image

He definitely earned that F :haha:

:lmao: don't remember seeing an F before

Carter Lloyd Horne got an "F" last season when he sang "Take Me to Church."

And he earned the hell out of it. :haha:

When Charlie hands out his "F" ratings (and even arguably his "D" ratings), you really have to fall to pieces to earn it. I'm curious to know when his last "F" rating was before that one. Link below, by the way :D

https://tvline.com/2019/05/13/the-voice-rec...8-performances/

Carter Lloyd Horne got an "F" last season when he sang "Take Me to Church."

And he earned the hell out of it. :haha:

When Charlie hands out his "F" ratings (and even arguably his "D" ratings), you really have to fall to pieces to earn it. I'm curious to know when his last "F" rating was before that one. Link below, by the way :D

https://tvline.com/2019/05/13/the-voice-rec...8-performances/

:lol:

Re: Shane

“... he struggled to find the key the same way I do when I’m trying to unlock my front door in the dark...” :dead:

IPB Image

https://tvline.com/2019/12/03/the-voice-rec...top-10-results/

The Voice Top 10 Results Show Recap: Did the Right Contestants Make It Through to Season 17's Semifinals?

By Charlie Mason / December 3 2019, 7:00 PM PST

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)

Will Breman (Team Legend)

Rose Short (Team Gwen)

Ricky Duran (Team Blake)

Katie Kadan (Team Legend)

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly)

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly)

Kat Hammock (Team Blake)

Bottom Three

Shane Q (Team Kelly), “Killing Me Softly” — Grade: D-

Joana Martinez (Team Gwen), “Somebody That I Used to Know” — Grade: D

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “You Are the Reason” — Grade: B-

Which singer would you have eliminated first?

IPB Image

The Voice Semifinals Recap: Which of the Top 8 Contestants' '80s Week Performances Were Totally Tubular?

By Charlie Mason / December 9 2019, 7:02 PM PST

https://tvline.com/2019/12/09/the-voice-rec...8-performances/

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “Lady Marmalade” — Grade: B

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “Somewhere Only We Know” — Grade: C+

Ricky Duran (Team Blake) and Will Breman (Team Legend), “Your Love” — Ricky’s grade: D; Will’s grade: C

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Before He Cheats” — Grade: C

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Don’t You Worry About a Thing” — Grade: A-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend) and Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Up Where We Belong” — Marybeth’s grade: B-; Jake’s grade: C

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Let It Be” — Grade: B+

Will Breman (Team Legend), “Locked Out of Heaven” — Grade: B

Katie Kadan (Team Legend) and Rose Short (Team Gwen), “Express Yourself” — Katie’s grade: B+; Rose’s grade: A-

Kat Hammock (Team Blake) and Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “We Belong” — Kat’s grade: F; Hello Sunday’s grade: F

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “I Want to Know What Love Is” — Grade: A-

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Desperado” — Grade: A-

Which of the Top 8 gave the best solo performance?

asdfadsfa.JPG

Which duet was your favorite?

sdfghytgeds.JPG

The Voice Semifinals Recap: Which of the Top 8 Contestants' '80s Week Performances Were Totally Tubular?

By Charlie Mason / December 9 2019, 7:02 PM PST

https://tvline.com/2019/12/09/the-voice-rec...8-performances/

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “Lady Marmalade” — Grade: B

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “Somewhere Only We Know” — Grade: C+

Ricky Duran (Team Blake) and Will Breman (Team Legend), “Your Love” — Ricky’s grade: D; Will’s grade: C

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend), “Before He Cheats” — Grade: C

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Don’t You Worry About a Thing” — Grade: A-

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend) and Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Up Where We Belong” — Marybeth’s grade: B-; Jake’s grade: C

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Let It Be” — Grade: B+

Will Breman (Team Legend), “Locked Out of Heaven” — Grade: B

Katie Kadan (Team Legend) and Rose Short (Team Gwen), “Express Yourself” — Katie’s grade: B+; Rose’s grade: A-

Kat Hammock (Team Blake) and Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “We Belong” — Kat’s grade: F; Hello Sunday’s grade: F

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “I Want to Know What Love Is” — Grade: A-

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Desperado” — Grade: A-

The Voice Top 8 Results Show Recap: Were the Right Four Contestants Eliminated Ahead of the Finals?

By Charlie Mason / December 10 2019, 7:00 PM PST

https://tvline.com/2019/12/10/the-voice-rec...-top-8-results/

Sent to Safety (in Chronological Order)

Katie Kadan (Team Legend)

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly)

Ricky Duran (Team Blake)

Immediately Eliminated (Bottom Two)

Will Breman (Team Legend)

Marybeth Byrd (Team Legend)

Middle Three

Hello Sunday (Team Kelly), “Chandelier” — Grade: C |

Kat Hammock (Team Blake), “You’ve Got a Friend” — Grade: C+

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman” — Grade: A

Saved | Rose Short

Eliminated | Hello Sunday, Kat Hammock

Which contestant were you sorriest to see eliminated?

asdfasfqre.JPG

The Voice Performance Finale Recap: Which of the Final 4 Made the Grade?

By Charlie Mason / December 16 2019, 7:01 PM PST

Cover

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “Runnin’ Down a Dream” — Grade: B+

Original Single

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Better Off Without You” — Grade: B-

Duet With Coach

Katie Kadan and John Legend, “Merry Christmas, Baby” — Katie’s Grade: A

Original Single

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “Steamroller” — Grade: A

Duet With Coach

Ricky Duran and Blake Shelton, “Run Run Rudolph” — Ricky’s Grade: A

Original Single

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “All Better” — Grade: A+

Duet With Coach

Jake Hoot and Kelly Clarkson, “Wintersong” — Jake’s Grade: A-

Duet With Coach

Rose Short and Gwen Stefani, “My Gift Is You” — Rose’s Grade: B

Cover

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly), “Amazed” — Grade: B+

Cover

Katie Kadan (Team Legend), “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” — Grade: A-

Original Single

Ricky Duran (Team Blake), “A Woman Like Her” — Grade: A

Rose Short (Team Gwen), “Border Song” — Grade: A

Who SHOULD win Season 17?

winnn.JPG

Who WILL win Season 17?

werewq.JPG

The Voice Finale Recap:

Is Named the Winner of Season 17

By Charlie Mason / December 17 2019, 7:59 PM PST

they reviewed all the artists here :thumbs:

https://tvline.com/2019/12/17/the-voice-rec...ason-17-finale/

Katie Kadan (Team Legend) and Adam Lambert, “Believe” — Katie’s Grade: A-

Rose Short (Team Gwen) and Yolanda Adams, “In the Midst of It All” — Rose’s Grade: A

Ricky Duran (Team Blake) and Gary Clark Jr., “Pearl Cadillac” — Ricky’s Grade: A

Jake Hoot (Team Kelly) and Little Big Town, “Over Drinking” — Jake’s Grade: A

Grade 'The Voice' Season 17 finale:

fsadafdafd.JPG