idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
jdanton2

Normani Appreciation Thread

Normani has 2 songs on Billboard's top 100 songs of 2019 chosen by their staff. :thumbs:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/lis...of-2019-top-100

27. Normani, "Motivation"

Britney and Rihanna have been quiet, Beyoncé has been experimenting, and Gaga has shapeshifted beyond the confines of the outré-pop that defined her turn-of-the-decade coming out party. So it’s been a while since a new, fully formed pop star delivered a perfectly choreographed, hook-laden, danceable banger as well-executed as Normani did with her first sans-feature solo single, “Motivation.” The track throws back to rhythmic pop of the early 2000s -- as does its quickly viral music video -- but never gets too far away from Normani’s charisma and control, bringing the kind of precise, catchy pop music that defined the earlier years of the 21st century right to the center of 2019. -- E.F.

38. Sam Smith & Normani, "Dancing With a Stranger"

Smith and Normani teamed up for one of the biggest pop songs of the year with “Dancing With a Stranger.” The sexy earworm includes a standout vocal delivery by the pair, with Smith’s seductive falsetto accompanied by Normani’s smoky counterpart. In addition to stunning harmonies, the infectious dance-pop beat mesmerizes. A major hit for the two on the FM airwaves, “Dancing With a Stranger” ranked No. 5 for the year on both the Radio Songs and Pop Songs airplay charts. -- A.R.

X Factor the Band, final cuts they are singing Dancing with a Stranger

:thumbs:

p4JIhafMA-E

Edited by jdanton2

some comments from a supposed insider at atrl. :unsure:

2 hours ago, professor2000 said:

This album was totally supposed to come out this month, hence all the covers and mag features. Lol.

1 hour ago, professor2000 said:

She got a single coming + some features. So at least new music is on the way to hold us over.

Can’t spill it due to how I found out. But she’s doing another track with a recently popular artist. Should be coming this month or next month. And then a single from her after that.

1 hour ago, cliche_display said:

To me that sounds like Summer Walker

Lizzo

Lil Nas X

or

Billie

Can you give us a slight hint more?

Eeegiavdisbrh I wish I could. :ahh:

But think more on the Lizzo side of the artists you listed (in terms of genre). It’s not her though. 

a few weeks ago an insider hinted of a Normani collab with a recent popular artist . they said it was not Lizzo and i thought it might be Bazzi. looks like it could be Dua Lipa. :o snippet in the video sounds good. :thumbs:

aCd6irZXyNs&feature=emb_title

edit

from Pop Buzz.Normani has their #1 and #6 song of the year.

https://www.popbuzz.com/music/features/best...gs-of-the-year/

1) Normani - 'Motivation'

Every single second of 'Motivation' is perfectly crafted. The harmonies on "Get you naked but I won't tell 'em'" in the second verse, the way she emphasises the last syllable of 'innovation' in the chorus, the horns in the bridge. The whole song is filled with little nuggets that keep you coming back for more but it's Normani's voice and confidence which hold it all together.

And that's not even mentioning the video. From the athleticism of the choreography to the way in which she pays homage to the performers who inspired her, it's impossible not to be mesmerised. It feels fun and effortless in spite of how intricate it is. Plus there are so many standout moments: the twerking on the fence, the basketball move, the gymnastics in the rain!

In an era of 'relatable' popstars, it's so refreshing and rare to see an artist release a single which unashamedly oozes star power and charisma. Like the greats before her, Normani is so talented that you want to be her. A star is born.

6) Sam Smith & Normani - 'Dancing with a Stranger'

'Dancing with a Stranger' was a pivotal moment for both Sam Smith and Normani. Until then, Sam had made a career out of lovelorn ballads and Normani only had one solo hit under her belt. 'Dancing with a Stranger' saw Sam prove that they could turn up the tempo on their own music and Normani prove that she is ready to take over the world. A duet for the ages.

https://www.popbuzz.com/music/features/best...gs-of-the-year/

Edited by jdanton2

cool, when do you think the collab would come out? I love Dua

cool, when do you think the collab would come out? I love Dua

it looks like it has not been confirmed by either but is a leak. it might be better to wait till after the new year with the freeze coming. :unsure:

Normani giving Nicki Minaj an award at the Billboard Woman In Music event.

https://twitter.com/archivenormicki/status/...361223723814912

edit

mentioning Normani in her speech.

https://twitter.com/archivenormicki/status/...378724906127366

Edited by jdanton2

from the atrl insider looks like the Dua collab was not the one hinted at. :unsure:

  On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Chemical X. said:

Hello :heart2: @professor2000 when you mentioned a new collab before the new year, was it the upcoming Dua/Normani song? Or does she have something else (possibly with Bazzi)? :eli:

  6 hours ago, professor2000 said:

Nope! Lol.

I’m wondering if it’s pushed back to January now. Feel like it should’ve been announced already, especially given the vehicle in which it’ll appear. But yeah, complete opposite end of the spectrum in terms of genre. Lol.

also from atrl from an interviw.

https://twitter.com/longIivelisa/status/1205592884134719488

— *After Jingle Bash* Normani went back into the studio to record a "few" more records, specifically a few "FEMALE collaborations"There's gonna be a LOT coming next year, pretty much at the TOP of the year" — Normani, on new music

"Are we gonna get those by the end of 2019 or..." "NOOOO, i'm not gonna lie to you...not gonna get your hopes up, my fans won't be calling me out" — Normani, about the rest of 2019

edit

from this thread the insider hints that guesses of Doja Cat or "Megan The Stallion could be right . a pic of Normani and Megan was posted today.also a collab between them has been speculated for a while. :unsure:

https://atrl.net/forums/topic/14177-normani/?page=45

https://twitter.com/theestallion/status/1205560556284809216

Edited by jdanton2

that's all confusing, they need to just announce it :lol:

Normani performed at the Streamy Awards last night.

H2LF-i73bUY&feature=emb_title

that's all confusing, they need to just announce it :lol:

nothing is coming till at least January so we might have to wait for one. :unsure:

from atrl insider

professor2000 said:

Collabo is coming next month (was supposed to be this month, but it seems to has been pushed back slightly). And then her next solo single immediately following that.

The collab I'm referring to is not the Dua Lipa track, btw.

getback said:

thanks for the info!

is that a high profile collab? will they push both songs at the same time, or only the solo song?

professor2000 said:

Yeah I’d say so...it’s another newcomer, but a pretty popular newcomer for sure. Heavy Urban look.

The collabo is for a non-Normani project, but I’d imagine both will be pushed at the same time.

from atrl insider

professor2000 said:

Collabo is coming next month (was supposed to be this month, but it seems to has been pushed back slightly). And then her next solo single immediately following that.

getback said:

thanks for the info!

is that a high profile collab? will they push both songs at the same time, or only the solo song?

professor2000 said:

Yeah I’d say so...it’s another newcomer, but a pretty popular newcomer for sure. Heavy Urban look.

The collabo is for a non-Normani project, but I’d imagine both will be pushed at the same time.

excited for next month. :w00t:

from atrl insider

professor2000 said:

getback said:

thanks for the info!

professor2000 said:

seeing rumors and speculation on atrl and Twitter it is a collab with Megan Thee Stallion and could be for the Birds Of Prey soundtrack coming out in February.

https://twitter.com/ThePopHub/status/1207020221871120384

The Pop Hub@ThePopHub

Normani and Megan Thee Stallion on the music video set for a rumored collaboration, possibly for the upcoming #BirdsOfPrey soundtrack.

2:30 PM · Dec 17, 2019

atrl insider confirmed about the Megan Thee Stallion collab . says the Dua Lipa song might not be a single and there might be another collab as well.

4 minutes ago, professor2000 said:

Yeah all the info I heard about Normani didn’t include anything about Dua...so I’m thinking that’s not a single.

but yeah, this is the collab I hinted at (Meg). :biggrin:

possibly another one with another major new-ish artist.

edit

Megan confirms it is from Birds Of Prey.

https://twitter.com/theestallion/status/1207103521713115136

HOT GIRL MEG@theestallion

#BirdsOfPrey🔥🔥🔥

8:01 PM · Dec 17, 2019

Edited by jdanton2

song is called Diamonds.also the lead single from the soundtrack. :w00t:

https://twitter.com/NormaniUpdate/status/1207114836477390850

edit

https://hiphop-n-more.com/2019/12/megan-the...rey-soundtrack/

IPB Image

Edited by jdanton2

article from Billboard on how Dancing With A Stranger came to be a hit.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/...medium=referral

Sam Smith and Normani Reveal How 'Dancing With A Stranger' Took A Slow Burn Route to Radio No. 1

12/19/2019 by Taylor Weatherby

In an era of out-of-nowhere hits and splashy No. 1 debuts, Sam Smith and Normani’s “Dancing With a Stranger” was an old-fashioned radio success story, topping Billboard’s Radio Songs and Adult Top 40 charts in May after 15 and 17 weeks, respectively.

The artists, along with Capitol Records executive vp promotion Greg Marella and iHeartMedia president of CHR program­ming strategy John Ivey, look back on its rise.

Smith: I had just gone through a breakup and the last thing I wanted to do was write a sad song. I was listening to a lot of really sexy music because it made me feel better, so I wanted the song to capture what I was doing: going to clubs and kissing people.

Normani: I happened to be [at the same studio as Smith] and heard Sam had a record to play me. Sam was like, “Do you want to jump on it?” And I was like, “Right now?” I wasn’t prepared! But Sam was my hypeman. You could just feel the energy.

Marella: When we were out playing this record [for DJs] and getting ready to launch, most people thought it was going to be an absolutely monster song. But they knew how long it takes to cut through. It’s not uncommon to take 18, 20 weeks to get to the top, especially with midtempo songs.

Ivey: It appeals to young and old: It’s easy to sing, it’s not offensive, it’s not a novelty record -- it’s just a well-written, well-sung song. It was big at both [adult top 40] and adult contemporary [in addition to pop]. It’s a three-format record.

Marella: While we’re working the single, we could see all the consumption data, all the international data -- it indicated that it was going to be really big. [it became] a weekly conversation of reassuring everyone that the data is there. It’s a process of spreading positive information.

Smith: The song launched me into a really beautiful space of writing and freedom. There’s a femininity within that song that has ignited a flame within me; it triggered the transition I’ve made into a nonbinary person.

Normani: Sam has a unique way of captivating the audience with vulnerability. That was different for me -- my fans hadn’t been able to see me in that light. I’m happy the song will always be part of my story as a solo artist.

Ivey: I think we’ve played it 3,000 times [at KIIS-FM Los Angeles] and it’s still [in rotation] for us. It’s a song that people will be singing for years.

This article originally appeared in the Dec. 21 issue of Billboard.

Edited by jdanton2

Motivation under performed on the charts but alot of media sites have on their lists of their top songs of the year. Entertainment Weekly has it at #8.

https://ew.com/music/2019/12/20/best-songs-...inmentweekly_ew

8. “Motivation” — Normani

Former Fifth Harmony member Normani had a banner year thanks to her Sam Smith collab “Dancing With a Stranger.” But it was her second hit of 2019, “Motivation” — co-written with tourmate Ariana Grande and Swedish mega-producer Max Martin — that feels tailor-made for future cookouts and dance parties. “I’ma break you off, let me be your motivation,” she sings over an infectious, horn-inflected beat. Coming from Normani, it sounds like both a welcome invitation and mischievous dare. —AS

also #5 on The Fader.

https://www.thefader.com/2019/12/19/25-best...utm_source=tftw

Normani, “Motivation”

The star power Normani radiates in “Motivation” could power entire countries. While it’s not technically her debut, "Motivation" feels like an arrival, and while so much pop music right now hinges on being "minimal," “Motivation” is filled with bells, whistles, and adornments. A welcome change of pace, but I suspect that even an acapella version of this track would freaking slap — Normani’s presence is that magnetic.

year end AT40 is out Normani has 2 songs on the list .

XYGaWKukjv8&feature=emb_title

5. DANCING WITH A STRANGER - SAM SMITH/NORMANI [1]

21. LOVE LIES - KHALID/NORMANI [3wks]

Not surprising she's collabing with Megan Thee Stallion--she's also from Houston and is kind of like Nicki Minaj for late millenials and Gen-Z'ers, and is right-aged with Normani. Good collab, and the Marvel tie-in definitely helps with the right fans

pics from the video? there are more at the link. :thumbs:

https://twitter.com/Normani/status/1208480956450869248

Normani@Normani

if you get too close I might snatch off your chain

Birds of Prey and HOT GIRL MEG

3:14 PM · Dec 21, 2019

IPB Image

edit

from atrl insider. :unsure:

3 hours ago, muziq.kid said:

Is the new collab with SZA? @professor2000

Posted 9 minutes ago

professor2000

Nope. Lol. Not giving anymore clues on this one since I’m not even sure they pulled through with recording it.

It was supposed to be a remix of a song that’s technically already out (not a single yet, currently just an album track on this artist’s album). That’s all I can say lol.

Edited by jdanton2

Christmas songs are dropping fast at AC .Dancing With A Stranger is gaining again.

AC

14 7 SAM SMITH & NORMANI Dancing With A Stran... 665 304 361 4.882

Edited by jdanton2

not sure why this gained on itunes . :o

49 +66 Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing with a Stranger

not sure why this gained on itunes . :o

49 +66 Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing with a Stranger

:o did they perform somewhere and it got a repeat?

:o did they perform somewhere and it got a repeat?

they never performed it anywhere but the Jingle Ball shows which were not on tv. :unsure: it had some gains a while back when used on shows by contestants on The Voice and Dancing With The Stars. maybe was used on a show that aired yesterday . :unsure:

edit

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1212063340148776960

Pop Crave@PopCrave

.@Spotify’s most streamed songs released in 2019:

1️⃣ Señorita (1.112B)

2️⃣ bad guy (1.067B)

3️⃣ 7 rings (996M)

4️⃣ OTR - Remix (840M)

5️⃣ I Don’t Care (832M)

6️⃣ Dance Monkey (791M)

7️⃣ Con Calma (727M)

8️⃣Sucker (610M)

9️⃣ Dancing With A Stranger (575M)

🔟Beautiful People (570M)

12:29 PM · Dec 31, 2019

Edited by jdanton2

Posted (edited)

still not sure why this is gaining on itunes . all with no promo. :unsure:

41 +35 Sam Smith & Normani - Dancing with a Stranger

edit

maybe year end countdowns? :unsure:

https://twitter.com/chartsnormanibr/status/...959504671268866

Normani Charts@chartsnormanibr

Due to the year-end impact, ‘Dancing with a Stranger’ has re-entered the top 50 of US iTunes.

5:37 AM · Dec 31, 2019

Edited by jdanton2