The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

15 hours ago, AliXRose said:

One of the best battles of the season ! I hated that 1 steal 1 save bullcrap cause I'm pretty sure Elise would've got a steal if it was 2 steals per coach

There was like no mention of her at all in the spoilers, I remember the whole Myracle/Kyndal/Calvin/BattleSave situation being up the air for the KOs, and the whole team was good so I was hoping she would advance to the lives.

Gwen's team for that save situation was soooo close.  I love Myracle and thought she was the right pick, but my heart hurt for the ones that left

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DeSz's audition was REALLY good. I know it was well-liked on here, but I feel like it was underappreciated because she didn't go for a ton of huge notes. Her runs & low notes were impeccable. 

Same thing about Jake Hoot and Kelly's collab on "I Would've Loved You." It was really great, though I wasn't able to gauge IDF's reaction to it as well.

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

DeSz's audition was REALLY good. I know it was well-liked on here, but I feel like it was underappreciated because she didn't go for a ton of huge notes. Her runs & low notes were impeccable. 

Same thing about Jake Hoot and Kelly's collab on "I Would've Loved You." It was really great, though I wasn't able to gauge IDF's reaction to it as well.

There's a reason DeSz got one of my two "A"s in the audition - not a note out of place, fantastic (and very tasteful) runs, and that strong lower half of her voice.

And I'm not crazy about Hoot, but his voice with Kelly's is just magical (see also: their S17 finale duet).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

And I'm not crazy about Hoot, but his voice with Kelly's is just magical (see also: their S17 finale duet).

Same sorta thing with me; I am not a huge fan of Jake on his own (though Cover Me Up and Desperado were Moments™️), but Kelly and he blend together so well!

2 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

There's a reason DeSz got one of my two "A"s in the audition - not a note out of place, fantastic (and very tasteful) runs, and that strong lower half of her voice.

I remember when Charlie Mason gave Desz a B- for that, and I thought that was way too low for her, though me not understanding a Charlie Mason grade happens too often. She would definitely get an A from me in that performance. Not to mention, that is an iconic 90s R&B song that I have never heard on the show before, which makes me appreciate the audition even more.

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

Same sorta thing with me; I am not a huge fan of Jake on his own (though Cover Me Up and Desperado were Moments™️), but Kelly and he blend together so well!

I think those are the only two Jake solo performances that are well received on IDF (and the two I would definitely give A’s). Most of his other solos were in the B range for me. But yeah, Jake sounds great in his duets with Kelly, and I thought he did well in his battle as well (which definitely applies to all 4 finalists that year).

14 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

I think those are the only two Jake solo performances that are well received on IDF (and the two I would definitely give A’s). Most of his other solos were in the B range for me. But yeah, Jake sounds great in his duets with Kelly, and I thought he did well in his battle as well (which definitely applies to all 4 finalists that year).

I had to relisten to Jake's battle, and it was really great! I agree; all of the finalists had great battles that season & generally were really great/consistent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I had to relisten to Jake's battle, and it was really great! I agree; all of the finalists had great battles that season & generally were really great/consistent.

except for Ricky. I mean no one eliminated in the SF was better than him but like I think Hello Sunday deserved it after their "Don't You Worry Bout a Thing" performance

17 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Yes! It is and honestly Cami Clune's audition is a tad overrated but her cover on Spotify IS AMAZING! It just wasn't too polished in her blind, but she still deserved four chairs. I'm just saying she's a little overrated because everyone has her audition on the best performances of the season, where DeSz was vocally better. and had more control over her vocals. DeSz' audition was rly great (and so was Kelly's reaction to it haha).

I LISTEN TO THAT DUET LIKE EVERYDAY lol it's rly good especially when it looks like the performance is going to end and then Kelly's like "IM GONNA LOVE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" and then Jake harmonizes.

17 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Definitely agree with this one. One of the hardest songs to sing EVER. You need to have the dynamics in order to give justice to that song, which luckily, Desz had. I mean, there's a reason why that song's rarely sung on shows like this..

And yes, iirc, some even called it underwhelming during her audition (because of the loud band thing) 

5 minutes ago, sydneysam said:

Definitely agree with this one. One of the hardest songs to sing EVER. You need to have the dynamics in order to give justice to that song, which luckily, Desz had. I mean, there's a reason why that song's rarely sung on shows like this..

And yes, iirc, some even called it underwhelming during her audition (because of the loud band thing) 

Summer Soft and Unbreak My Heart and Don't Let Go as well were all really hard songs to sing that season (The Prayer + I Surrender as well) too!

6 hours ago, AliXRose said:

I actually thought Jake deserved to win the battle over Steve :stealth:

I dont think this was unpopular though. Steve wasn't that big here, the biggest complaints were that Kelly gave the win to Jake from the start with a Willie Nelson song for both, but there were little of those. 

I do think Jake's battle goes unnoticed often. That was the beginning of his domain.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I do think Jake's battle goes unnoticed often. That was the beginning of his domain.

Agree with this. People say "Cover Me Up" was his big breakout moment, which it was, but I had my eyes on him starting from his battle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I disagree. I loved "Valerie".

i meant like inconsistent. rose and katie should've placed higher than him, but i'm not as mad as IDF was when Jake won since he was against Ricky. My order would go Rose>>>Jake > Katie >>>>>>>. Ricky

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thevoicefan12 said:

i liked desz's playoff performance

It was fine to me, never understood why people called it underwhelming when she did everything she could with that song choice.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VoiceFan! said:

i meant like inconsistent. rose and katie should've placed higher than him, but i'm not as mad as IDF was when Jake won since he was against Ricky. My order would go Rose>>>Jake > Katie >>>>>>>. Ricky

Ricky was one of the most consistent that season though. :lmao:

• Like 5

19 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I was one of the people to say her audition was underwhelming/overrated, but upon relistening to it right now, the only part of the performance I didn't like was the high note. Everything else was really good. It's just... that high note takes me out of it every time I hear it. Just my opinion 😗✌️

31 minutes ago, thevoicefan12 said:

i liked desz's playoff performance

I genuinely don't now where all the criticism came that night for Desz lol. I think she was the first performance and either a. people were in the mood to negatively critique or b. they were expecting full on Tina Turner to appear on that stage lol. Was it Desz's best performance? Not with Can We Talk, Unbreak My Heart, and Don't Let Go right there, but saying she "flopped" on Playoffs night is far from the case. I'd say she was top tier that night, considering many didn't perform as strongly.

edit: Upon yet *another* rewatch of the performance, I'm leaning towards option A 🤣 It's not my favorite Desz performance but it's far from being weak as a performance, especially since it isn't the most belty song choice, and those were the ones that Desz truly shined in. Basically as it's been said she did great with a song choice that didn't allow her to go all out.

Edited by TheVoiceFan2
  • Like 2

Disclaimer: Of the finalists in S17, personal preference goes Rose > Ricky = Katie > Hoot.

Of the season 17 finalists, I’d give Rose and Ricky the upper hand in consistent vocals over Katie and Hoot (though I blame John’s song choices for Katie more than Katie’s vocals). It’s close between those four, but I think what helped me pick who was more consistent is Rose’s ability to weave through pop/R&B/soul/country/rock like it takes no effort, and Ricky knowing what works for his voice and doing it well while working under the coach that tends to be the most hands-off in terms of song choice.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Disclaimer: Of the finalists in S17, personal preference goes Rose > Ricky = Katie > Hoot.

Of the season 17 finalists, I’d give Rose and Ricky the upper hand in consistent vocals over Katie and Hoot (though I blame John’s song choices for Katie more than Katie’s vocals). It’s close between those four, but I think what helped me pick who was more consistent is Rose’s ability to weave through pop/R&B/soul/country/rock like it takes no effort, and Ricky knowing what works for his voice and doing it well while working under the coach that tends to be the most hands-off in terms of song choice.

Similar rankings to me. Jake was the least consistent finalist but he still had some great performances. Ricky didn’t have the highs of Katie and Rose but he was very consistent and enjoyable. Katie was great in the first half of lives but didn’t give those highs in the last few weeks, though they were still good. Rose was definitely the most consistent throughout the season, and God’s Country and IWTKWLI sealed the deal for #1 in my rankings. Regardless, this was one of my favorite Final 4’s in all seasons

• Like 1