The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

11 minutes ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

When he was a little kid, he was in the country music lane thru his song/album, "One Voice" but then he shifted to pop when he grew up since his voice also changed. I would say my favorite performances from him were his blind audition song, "When We Were Young" and his finale cover song, "My Way". Though he had some good performances, I don't necessarily consider him consistent during his run on the show.

I rooted for Sundance that season because of his consistency and his ability in giving country twists to songs popularized by the coaches (The Climb, and No One). His live performances were way better than his pre-taped round performances.

That makes sense! And, yeah, and Sundance is definitely great! He's probably one of the most versatile country-ish guys I've seen on the show.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Thanks! I honestly thought that sounded more pop than country (in fact, more pop than he sounded on the show). I'm not sure though.

Yeah I agree that this sing sounds more pop than country but this song was actually labeled as country. You may see info on wikipedia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Voice_(Billy_Gilman_song)

If I remember correctly, he revealed about his sexuality on the show and that's what prevented him from pursuing more in country music due to the underwhelming acceptance to LGBT artists by country music fans, hence, he shifted to pop. He also went back to his country roots by singing "Anyway" by Martina McBride.

Edited by Dalton Eduardo

2 hours ago, QueenCami said:

I understand that a big criticism of him is that he didn't connect to songs emotionally, but I thought that Billy Gilman was a very consistent vocalist. I know y'all say that in s11 almost everyone was inconsistent/not great other than Sundance, but I thought that Billy was consistently on his A-game vocally

I thought he showed great emotion in Fight song and All I ask. When We were young, Cryin, Anyway, I Surrender, and My Way were very well connected as well. I absolutely loved all of his performances other than Because of me.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1

Billy had more tricks but were almost always misplaced and took away from the emotion. By the end of the performance, I was too tired of his gymnastics. Sundance really knew how to sell a performance both vocally and emotionally. His resonant belts were epic. Miley and Alicia not pushing after his high note in Blinds still baffles me. Especially, Miley. She grew up on country and arguably would've been the best coach for him.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, colemanftw said:

Billy had more tricks but were almost always misplaced and took away from the emotion. By the end of the performance, I was too tired of his gymnastics. Sundance really knew how to sell a performance both vocally and emotionally. His resonant belts were epic. Miley and Alicia not pushing after his high note in Blinds still baffles me. Especially, Miley. She grew up on country and arguably would've been the best coach for him.

Jennifer Lopez Yes GIF by mtv

Billy with Miley would’ve been an interesting matchup of coach to artist, but I doubt he would’ve made runner-up on her team despite consistent vocals (see: Ali Caldwell).

Another opinion of extremely questionable popularity: despite enjoying the casts of both seasons and several performances throughout, S12 > S13 for me personally based purely on musical tastes (it’s like a 9.5 vs 9.4 though, so it’s close).

33 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

(see: Ali Caldwell)

her song choices during her run on the show though 😵 (loved her pre-lives, playoffs, and semi-final song choices though, even if Whitney's version of IWALY would've suited her more)

15 minutes ago, sydneysam said:

her song choices during her run on the show though 😵 (loved her pre-lives, playoffs, and semi-final song choices though, even if Whitney's version of IWALY would've suited her more)

wOrKiNg nInE tO fIvE, wHaT a wAy tO mAkE a liVinG

Edited by QueenCami
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Billy with Miley would’ve been an interesting matchup of coach to artist, but I doubt he would’ve made runner-up on her team despite consistent vocals (see: Ali Caldwell).

I love Ali, she is one of the better powerhouses we had, when at her best. Just so many of her performances had some kind of an issue that holds me from stanning her. DW had some tempo issues, battle was a weird song choice. She did too much with No Ordinary Love. Playoffs and Top 12 were amazing! She forgot the words on 9 to 5, had some pitch issues on That performance and the Top 10 one. IWALY was wobbly at the beginning. 

Tayler did an amazing job & that should be recognized, but Micah deserved to win his KO. Tayler was so good, but Micah made me feel something & I tend to gravitate towards those kinds of performances. Did Tayler deserve a steal, though? 💯

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Angeles said:

Tayler did an amazing job & that should be recognized, but Micah deserved to win his KO. Tayler was so good, but Micah made me feel something & I tend to gravitate towards those kinds of performances. Did Tayler deserve a steal, though? 💯

Period.

There were a few missed notes in both of their performances, so I can’t confidently gauge who was better vocally.

But artistically, Micah’s drew me in and I felt the ache. I think of emotional singers in 2 ways: singers that show me emotion and singers that make me feel emotion. 
With those 2 performances, I saw Tayler’s emotion but I felt Micah’s emotion. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Angeles said:

I felt the complete opposite. Both did great, but I felt something from Tayler’s performance, while Micah’s was just a solid vocal. :haha: I agree that Tayler 💯 deserved a steal. #robbedqueen

• Like 2

Regarding the whole Micah-Tayler KO, I checked the KO discussion thread, and it seems to have been way more even in IDF´s eyes than I expected. In fact, the majority seemed to lean towards Micah. He also had more votes than her on the "Rank the KOs" poll. 

It seems like the majority thought he fairly won, but don´t care enough to voice it often, while the minority who wasn´t happy with the decision are way more vocal about it. Not to mention, the spoilers clearly thought that Micah lost the KO and that Tayler was robbed, which led the Tayler fans to hold a grudge against him before the KO was even aired.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

This is 💯 my opinion. 

• Ciera Dumas 💯 out sang LB in that performance. 
  • Savanna Brister deserved so much better. 
  • Damali deserved to win her KO, but Gracee 💯 deserved to be stolen.
  • Jules had a good audition.
  • Gigi Hess is so underrated. ❤️
  • John should have stolen Tayler over CammWess
  • Megan had the best Top 9 performance & had the best IS performance.
  • Madeline Consoer’s PO performance wasn’t bad. 

& more that I can’t think of. 

Unpopular Opinions

- Season 20>>>Season 17

- I really think Lynea Moorer from Season   15 was underrated in lives. 

- IMO Season 16 had the best blinds we ever saw in a while from The Voice. 

- Karly Moreno deserved to beat Celia Babini. 

- Micah Tryba deserved to win her battle.

• Like 1