The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

12 minutes ago, VoiceFan! said:

Andrew's KO is VERY UNDERRATED! He was better than Corey and Pia 

Agree with the first part. After I rewatched, I´ve really come to enjoy it, he´s now my 4th favorite of the night (Behind Corey, Pia and Pete respectively).

That should tell you I do disagree with the second part though. Corey and Pia were definitely the top 2 that night for me.

Also I actually loved Anna vs. Ainee's battle. I keep replaying it and the more I listen to it the better. I thought Corey vs Savanna is a little overrated because Corey didn't have any standout moments...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, VoiceFan! said:

Durell, Halley, Ryleigh, Corey, Devan, Aaron, and Ainee had underrated blinds

Ikr?? Durrell and Savanna C. were two of my favorites during the blinds, so, losing both of them in the battles was painful to me 😢

14 hours ago, VoiceFan! said:

Also I actually loved Anna vs. Ainee's battle. I keep replaying it and the more I listen to it the better. I thought Corey vs Savanna is a little overrated because Corey didn't have any standout moments...

agreed!

14 hours ago, VoiceFan! said:

Durell, Halley, Ryleigh, Corey, Devan, Aaron, and Ainee had underrated blinds

Agreed w/ Durrell, Halley, and Corey. All had excellent blinds. 

I don't get the Cam love *cue the tomatoes* It's kind of different that IDF seems to be fully behind him because people on here don't seem to root for singers like him. I typical do so maybe that's why it just feels like "another Tuesday" for me when it comes to him lol. He sort of falls in the Shawn Sounds, LB Crew, Chris Blue (loosely) category and IDF didn't seem to take to those contestants. I don't mind the love, just strange lol. I will say Cam is more polished than all those contestants I suppose. 

His KO was good but I thought a handful of others were better. Kind of felt like he over sang, but the KO's this year were INSANE so it was still a great performance tbh.

How I see it is the BAs were meh, battles were terrible, and KO round was probably the best in the show's history. I feel like there's nowhere to go but down in the live shows (live shows are always terrible and I'm not confident in these contestants given their previous showings) lol but this season has been somewhat redeemed and is not a total lost cause.  

Edited by joe14

10 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I don't get the Cam love *cue the tomatoes* It's kind of different that IDF seems to be fully behind him because people on here don't seem to root for singers like him. I typical do so maybe that's why it just feels like "another Tuesday" for me when it comes to him lol. He sort of falls in the Shawn Sounds, LB Crew, Chris Blue (loosely) category and IDF didn't seem to take to those contestants. I don't mind the love, just strange lol. I will say Cam is more polished than all those contestants I suppose. 

Totally respect your opinion, you do you. I will say, though, that I think Cam is more R&B-Pop than the ones you listed, who are probably more straight R&B.

25 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I think he’s way better than the ones you mentioned, but this is how I see it:

1. He’s young (unless you are a powerhouse, IDF usually roots for the younger contestants)

2. He’s Team Blake (this is the big one imo)

3. He’s probably the only threat to Kenzie, and the only shot at a non-country winner this season. And if there’s something IDF despises, is to see a country guy winning.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 1

The thing I like about Cam, is that he straight up becomes the song that he´s singing, especially tonight. You can tell he felt good after that one.

With both Kenzie and Cam in particular, they don´t really offer anything new or something we haven´t seen, but they are damn good at what they do. They´re my top 2 this season, I will say that. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Daillon said:

I think he’s way better than the ones you mentioned, but this is how I see it:

1. He’s young (unless you are a powerhouse, IDF roots for the younger contestants)

2. He’s Team Blake (this is the big one imo)

3. He’s probably the only threat to Kenzie, and the only shot at a non-country winner this season. And if there’s something IDF despises, is to see a country guy winning.

That makes sense. It's just the gap in support is astronomical and I don't think he's THAT much better than the people I mentioned. I'm not bothered, it's just interesting lol

23 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Totally respect your opinion, you do you. I will say, though, that I think Cam is more R&B-Pop than the ones you listed, who are probably more straight R&B.

Yeah, you are right! That's why I tried to end my comment with the word "loosely." When I think about it further, Thunderstorm and CammWess (who were R&B-Pop) also didn't receive this much support. People wanted Micah to win in the pre-finale poll instead lol. But I see your point with Cam veering pop. I think I was getting at a similar idea with the "more polished" comment. But like I said, it's probably just me being an overall R&B-Pop fan and thinking he's not doing anything extraordinary relative to some of the past contestants in the similar genre. I'm glad he's getting the support though. 

24 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

The thing I like about Cam, is that he straight up becomes the song that he´s singing, especially tonight. You can tell he felt good after that one.

With both Kenzie and Cam in particular, they don´t really offer anything new or something we haven´t seen, but they are damn good at what they do. They´re my top 2 this season, I will say that. 

You might say he was... feeling GOOOOOOOOD (to quote Cam himself)

54 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I think he's extremely overhyped, I thought his KO was terrific but to say it's an all-timer is a bit too much. It's nowhere near Cosmic Love-levels of great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe14 said:

His KO was good but I thought a handful of others were better. Kind of felt like he oversang, but the KO's this year were INSANE so it was still a great performance tbh.

1 hour ago, Teraginn said:

I think he's extremely overhyped, I thought his KO was terrific but to say it's an all-timer is a bit too much. It's nowhere near Cosmic Love-levels of great.

That's about where I am.  He hasn't wowed me at all until tonight's Knockout performance (which was FANTASTIC!), but even then, I've heard better Knockouts than his.  Still on the upper end if I were to rank this season's Knockouts, but of every one I've seen on the show?  Probably middle of the pack overall.

And yeah, the oversinging might hurt him going forward.  Eventually, Minivan tires of those types of singers who do too much.  Like someone on the episode thread said, Blake could probably help him learn when to pull back.

Edited by Rodney

5 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

I hate using the words "overrated" or "overhyped," but I feel like that's what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way. Like I don't think he should be winning the best KO performance in a landslide, but that's just me lol. I think I'm just to used to performances like his KO round performance that I'm not as impressed by it maybe?

And Zania in second and I thought her performance was kind of weak 🥴 I remembered when Vanessa bodied that song.

1 hour ago, Teraginn said:

This post brings me to my unpopular opinion: I don't care too much for Cosmic Love (or Matthew Schuler, as a whole, really). 

If you're a John Legend fan this is an unpopular opinion.  I really dislike John's arrangement and performance style.  He's bombastic, showy, and cheesy.  Go watch this CHEESY arrangement & performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water.  Everything he does is cheesy.  

It's a horrible arrangement & cheesy performance of a great classic song.  John can sing well but he doesn't emote well.  He projects false emotion that turns into cheese.  I think John got extremely lucky very early in his career.  He was in the right place at the right time and the dearth of african-american singers when he hit the scene propped him up.  His poor interpretation of classic songs is a hallmark of his cheesy nature.

The era of inclusivity pushed boring John Stephens (he changed his name to Legend because he knew he was boring) further than his talent deserved.  

• Confused 2

On 4/25/2021 at 11:09 PM, Teraginn said:

I disagree because:

1.) The Voice has always been much friendlier to older contestants than most shows, which is probably why I gravitated towards it (two of my all-time snowflakes are the oldest winners of The Voice). 

2.) His affiliation with Blake is arguably the main thing most casual watchers of the show remember Pete for. That kind of recognizability can be a factor in the voting rounds.

(BTW, welcome back to the forums, this is MJ btw, I hope you remember me from the Josh K fan thread. <3)

Hi MJ! I wondered where you'd gone! So glad to know you're here. BTW, I actually love Pete's voice. Anyone who dares to sing a little Winwood is a winner in my book. We can agree to disagree about his prospects (cuz I know you ain't mad), and personally, I hope you're right. The Voice is friendlier to older singers, and Josh was the perfect example of that, but IMO he was a rarity.

Oh, and to everyone else who thinks of Team Minivan as a monolith: they're just a boogeyman to you 😋

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

If you're a John Legend fan this is an unpopular opinion.  I really dislike John's arrangement and performance style.  He's bombastic, showy, and cheesy.  Go watch this CHEESY arrangement & performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water.  Everything he does is cheesy.  

It's a horrible arrangement & cheesy performance of a great classic song.  John can sing well but he doesn't emote well.  He projects false emotion that turns into cheese.  I think John got extremely lucky very early in his career.  He was in the right place at the right time and the dearth of african-american singers when he hit the scene propped him up.  His poor interpretation of classic songs is a hallmark of his cheesy nature.

The era of inclusivity pushed boring John Stephens (he changed his name to Legend because he knew he was boring) further than his talent deserved.  

Add this to what feels racist but it isn't (at least not blatantly)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cranberrys said:

Just out of curiosity do you feel the same about this performance? Many people consider it to be one of the best singing competition performances in history but it is also cheesy and does not have genuine emotion

53 minutes ago, monkshood said:

Hi MJ! I wondered where you'd gone! So glad to know you're here. BTW, I actually love Pete's voice. Anyone who dares to sing a little Winwood is a winner in my book. We can agree to disagree about his prospects (cuz I know you ain't mad), and personally, I hope you're right. The Voice is friendlier to older singers, and Josh was the perfect example of that, but IMO he was a rarity.

Oh, and to everyone else who thinks of Team Minivan as a monolith: they're just a boogeyman to you 😋

Haha. Remember when Team Minivan is just a niche phrase that gets thrown around old IDF as a joke? How times have changed.

Anyway, glad you're here, and I hope you find someone this season worth sticking around for. Pete is a good choice, js. 😛 

• Haha 1