The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

Just now, FloorWax said:

Keegan did good in his battle. His high notes really cut through (even if he just hit the same one over and over again). I kinda preferred him to Jordan.

I was literally just about to post this. 😂 I thought Keegan did better and deserved to win his battle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Keegan did good in his battle. His high notes really cut through (even if he just hit the same one over and over again). I kinda preferred him to Jordan.

agreed, he SHOCKED me. His notes were really flawless, especially those high notes 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thevoicefan12 said:

season 20 is ok, nothing amazing but not terrible just meh 

It’s been pretty good to me, but so was S19 which flopped hard in the lives imo. Hopefully things go different this time (I won’t hold my breath tho)

• Like 1

This season is pretty bad imo, and I would like to think I'm not hard to please. The talent level is at an all time low. The names that were being thrown around here a lot pre-season or during the early auditions have given questionable performances at best i.e Gihanna, Rachael Mac, Pia Renee, Anna Grace etc. Sometimes I wonder if IDF just draws names out of a hat to choose who they hype pre-season cause the hype really doesn't match the performances I end up seeing 90% of the time.

And Kenzie being the frontrunner...Yikes.🥴 I'm usually able to find a few gems, but I'm struggling this year. The song choice and matchups during the battles have been terrible. I will say Cam is great.

Maybe this is a transition season and they are hoping Ari revitalizes the show cause...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, joe14 said:

This season is pretty bad imo, and I would like to think I'm not hard to please. The talent level is at an all time low. The names that were being thrown around here a lot pre-season or during the early auditions have given questionable performances at best i.e Gihanna, Rachael Mac, Pia Renee, Anna Grace etc. Sometimes I wonder if IDF just draws names out of a hat to choose who they hype pre-season cause the hype really doesn't match the performances I end up seeing 90% of the time.

And Kenzie being the frontrunner...Yikes.🥴 I'm usually able to find a few gems, but I'm struggling this year. The song choice and matchups during the battles have been terrible. I will say Cam is great.

Maybe this is a transition season and they are hoping Ari revitalizes the show cause...

I don’t think it’s really unpopular, but people get invested in a season, and they try their hardest to make it work.....until the live shows come around and reality sets in. There  are a few who will probably sing well live, like Cam, Kenzie, and a couple others, but I’m with you overall on the season. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

but people get invested in a season, and they try their hardest to make it work.....until the live shows come around and reality sets in. There  are a few who will probably sing well live, like Cam, Kenzie, and a couple others, but I’m with you overall on the season. 

This has been happening since S14 though... I don’t see the difference between S20 and the last six seasons or so.

The problem that these last 3 seasons have had is the format, not necessarily the talent.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t think it’s really unpopular, but people get invested in a season, and they try their hardest to make it work.....until the live shows come around and reality sets in. There  are a few who will probably sing well live, like Cam, Kenzie, and a couple others, but I’m with you overall on the season. 

There is always the question of who will be able to handle the nerves and sing well live. I have a few options as well who I´m confident about.

Also, in the end there´s people who want to hear something unique, something that wows them, and there are others who just want to listen to some good music and discover new artists that they enjoy, hence why a certain group might be more picky than the other when it comes to judging the show.

I´m personally enjoying the season, but of course everything can change when it gets to the lives. I can tell you the playoffs are going to be a mess already, not neccesarily because of the artists´ talent, but rather because of the constant rushing of performances and overall nerves that come in play with performing live on that stage for the first time. It happens every season.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

There is always the question of who will be able to handle the nerves and sing well live. I have a few options as well who I´m confident about.

Also, in the end there´s people who want to hear something unique, something that wows them, and there are others who just want to listen to some good music and discover new artists that they enjoy, hence why a certain group might be more picky than the other when it comes to judging the show.

I´m personally enjoying the season, but of course everything can change when it gets to the lives. I can tell you the playoffs are going to be a mess already, not neccesarily because of the artists´ talent, but rather because of the constant rushing of performances and overall nerves that come in play with performing live on that stage for the first time. It happens every season.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

A couple of unpopular opinions regarding battles

Aaron > Connor

Christine > Pia

Emma was worthy of a save given that Blake didnt have much options

Savanna > Corey but I feel like IDF agrees with me here

Halley should have been paired with Ryleigh or Ainee

34 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Plus, I don't think announcing Ariana's addition helped this season at all. If anything, it has overshadowed this season and made it seem more like an afterthought which I suspect was intentional on the producer's part given the lackluster talent imo. Also, it is so obvious that Kenzie is winning lol. Hopefully Cam can join him in the finale somewhere.

I fall into the "just want to listen to some good music and discover new artists that they enjoy" category, but I can't even say the contestants this season are even giving that. I have watched someone like Gihanna, who fits the archetype of contestants I like, have a shaky audition and a below-average battle round performance w/ questionable vocals, and she was someone I had high hopes for given the early talk about her on here. Same for Rachael and Pia and Anna. If they are struggling and sounding shaky plus nervous during these rounds, rounds that producer's have historical been able to play "clean up" with using auto-tune, I'm scared for what the live rounds will look like. Even Tamara from last season had decent pre-live show performances before she was completely exposed during the lives. It's definitely a talent thing this season unless these contestants show me otherwise in the KO and playoffs. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Plus, I don't think announcing Ariana's addition helped this season at all. If anything, it has overshadowed this season and made it seem more like an afterthought which I suspect was intentional on the producer's part given the lackluster talent imo. Also, it is so obvious that Kenzie is winning lol. Hopefully Cam can join him in the finale somewhere.

I fall into the "just want to listen to some good music and discover new artists that they enjoy" category, but I can't even say the contestants this season are even giving that. I have watched someone like Gihanna, who fits the archetype of contestants I like, have a shaky audition and a below-average battle round performance w/ questionable vocals, and she was someone I had high hopes for given the early talk about her on here. Same for Rachael and Pia and Anna. If they are struggling and sounding shaky plus nervous during these rounds, rounds that producer's have historical been able to play "clean up" with using auto-tune, I'm scared for what the live rounds will look like. Even Tamara from last season had decent pre-live show performances before she was completely exposed during the lives. It's definitely a talent thing this season unless these contestants show me otherwise in the KO and playoffs. 

100 percent agree here

3 hours ago, FloorWax said:

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I was literally just about to post this. 😂I thought Keegan did better and deserved to win his battle. 

3 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

agreed, he SHOCKED me. His notes were really flawless, especially those high notes 

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

I was just about to post that too. So I guess Keegan > Jordan isn't an unpopular opinion after all lol 😂

• Haha 1

I don’t think “Calling All Angels” was a bad song choice for Keegan and Jordan - I don’t think it was particularly good, but I can at least see how with that pair up somebody went “Southern rock + pop = pop rock is the middle ground” and from there went to Train’s discography. It’s not a pairing I would have made, but the guys did the best they could with it all things considered.

• Like 1

I don´t know about y"all, but this was solid as hell. There was a lot of controversy with him, out of all people , getting a PV that night. (This was before IDF started hating Gyth more), but I don´t see how he wouldn´t have. He was better than a good chunk of contestants on a weak round.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I don´t know about y"all, but this was solid as hell. There was a lot of controversy with him, out of all people , getting a PV that night. (This was before IDF started hating Gyth more), but I don´t see how he wouldn´t have. He was better than a good chunk of contestants on a weak round.

Presley was robbed of a PV imo...

Her and Domenic/Mari

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

I mean I don't recall his blind audition warranting a chair turn and I still don't think he deserved the finale at all... but damn if some of his performances weren't great. He was miles better than Gyth and I preferred him over Dexter as a whole. Season 16 was such a tragedy... Maelyn's victory was the only miracle that came out of that. Andrew is definitely technically underrated on IDF though. He had some solid nights!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I mean I don't recall his blind audition warranting a chair turn and I still don't think he deserved the finale at all... but damn if some of his performances weren't great. He was miles better than Gyth and I preferred him over Dexter as a whole. Season 16 was such a tragedy... Maelyn's victory was the only miracle that came out of that. Andrew is definitely technically underrated on IDF though. He had some solid nights!

I think his only geniuine flop was on Top 13 week. He (and a lot of the country guys) took a dive on that round, as opposed to most of them being very solid in the playoffs.

Which brings me to my next , probably unpopular opinion: I wasn´t a fan of the Blake dominance on S16 in the playoffs and beyond, like pretty much all IDF, but I do think all the Team Blake winners won their Cross Battles fair and square, especially considering their opponents. 

Kim vs Betsy (A couple of flat moments for Kim, but overall entertaining and great ending)

Dexter vs Andrew J (Dexter clearly had more experience and it showed)

Oliv vs Celia (C´mon you gotta back me up on that one lol)

Carter vs Jacob (Carter was as solid as a brick, probably the biggest surprise of the CB. Jacob was decent but chose the wrong song)

Gyth vs Abby (Gyth was a bit shaky but overall solid. I can´t stand Abby´s tone, and she was flat almost the entire time)

Andrew vs The Bundys (I think we became skeptical of trios after that performance)

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Kim vs Betsy (A couple of flat moments for Kim, but overall entertaining and great ending)

Dexter vs Andrew J (Dexter clearly had more experience and it showed)

Oliv vs Celia (C´mon you gotta back me up on that one lol)

Carter vs Jacob (Carter was as solid as a brick, probably the biggest surprise of the CB. Jacob was decent but chose the wrong song)

Gyth vs Abby (Gyth was a bit shaky but overall solid. I can´t stand Abby´s tone, and she was flat almost the entire time)

Andrew vs The Bundys (I think we became skeptical of trios after that performance)

Ooh yeah all of these WERE fairly won.

43 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

Rachel vs Bradley was decent, but not standing-ovation worthy. There were a lot of shaky moments in the performance. I did not mind that this was steal/save-less, but Bradley should have won.

Funny, I just came to post something similar, but since you already did all of the work, I’ll just quote you. If that is standing ovation worthy, it just shows how low the bar has been set this season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

If that is standing ovation worthy, it just shows how low the bar has been set this season. 

Then mine is pretty low, because that was my favorite Battle when I watched it live.

• Like 1