The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

• 2 weeks later...

A couple:

-Tasha vs EJ was my favorite battle last night. 

-Jamar vs Mariah was the weakest battle of the premiere. Walker vs Kason at least had Walker doing the heavy lifiting sucessfully. The former battle had Jamar stepping up a bit but nothing out of the whole thing did anything for me. Expected more.

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Jamar vs Mariah was the weakest battle of the premiere. Walker vs Kason at least had Walker doing the heavy lifiting sucessfully. The former battle had Jamar stepping up a bit but nothing out of the whole thing did anything for me. Expected more

Completely agree with this. Neither Jamar or Mariah stood out in that battle. As for Kason vs Walker, I enjoyed the latter’s parts of that battle at least, despite the former doing… whatever he did.

• Like 1

Regarding the Kylee vs Mary Kate's battle, i get that Mary Kate has the most "easy to listen" voice between the two, but there is something about Kylee's voice that drawns me in. Her vocals really captivated me in that one, and i felt like she was the one with more emotional connection between the two. That's why i would pick her. Too bad most viewers in the app doesn't seem to get her style but oh well, their loss🤷

• Like 2

First week of battles, maybe some unpopular opinions 

- EJ and Tasha's battle was very good, and they made the song choice work 

- I prefer Kala and Gina's rendition of skinny love to Cami (the season 19 favourite on IDF)

I swear I dont dislike Cami..

- Tonally, I preferred Allie over Cait in their battle. I think she attacked the song with more ferocity and she has more depth to her voice. I do think Cait does slightly more vocally though, but not by much.

- also regarding Cait, I'm not the biggest fan of her belts tonally. Its not powerful or pretty enough where I can overlook the sharpness of its tone. (Usually really powerful belts get me pumped up) It's not terribly unpleasant, but it isn't always pleasing either. No denying her talent though, it's just a personal preference on my part.

- Sorelle's 2nd half of their battle is the best individual performance of the battles so far.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hsamid said:

- I prefer Kala and Gina's rendition of skinny love to Cami (the season 19 favourite on IDF)

I swear I dont dislike Cami..

- Tonally, I preferred Allie over Cait in their battle. I think she attacked the song with more ferocity and she has more depth to her voice. I do think Cait does slightly more vocally though, but not by much.

Agree re: Gina and Kala, I think I’d rather listen to their version. Cami was really good but I think Gina is more interesting tone wise and Kala shined in the second half of that song too.

Agree that Allie attacked the song more, but that approach really worked for her BA, here not as much imo. She has a rock voice and to me it didn’t work quite as well on a ballad, at least the softer parts.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Agree that Allie attacked the song more, but that approach really worked for her BA, here not as much imo. She has a rock voice and to me it didn’t work quite as well on a ballad, at least the softer parts.

Wow, completely disagree here. I preferred her in the battle than in her audition 

I can see if someone really doesn't like her tone, then maybe the battle is better, because she was going all out in the BA. But for me, I just thought her voice is more suited to the type of music she did in the BA, and that's not really her fault for that song choice in the battle, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I can see if someone really doesn't like her tone, then maybe the battle is better, because she was going all out in the BA. But for me, I just thought her voice is more suited to the type of music she did in the BA, and that's not really her fault for that song choice in the battle, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

I personally enjoyed her voice better in her battle because i think her voice was easier to listen for me. She held back but she still added some "fierceness" to the performance, which i appreciate, while also showing emotional connection to it. 

The part when she sang at the 1:25 mark during the chorus, gave me chills.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 4

Surprised by the near-universal acclaim for Kylee vs. Mary Kate because it didn't strike me as particularly stellar (though I don't really have anything to fault it for).

Also, though Gina vs. Kala was reasonably good, it was in the bottom half of the first episode of battles for me. I didn't find either of their tones to be enough to make up for the performance being mostly barren of exciting vocal moments (1:48 - 1:59 was excellent though 🙂)!

Edited by QueenCami
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Surprised by the near-universal acclaim for Kylee vs. Mary Kate because it didn't strike me as particularly stellar (though I don't really have anything to fault it for).

Also, though Gina vs. Kala was reasonably good, it was in the bottom half of the first episode of battles for me. I didn't find either of their tones to be enough to make up for the performance being mostly barren of exciting vocal moments (1:48 - 1:59 was excellent though 🙂)!

I guess it kinda depends what you want to get out of a battle performance. I like exciting vocal moments as much as the next person but sometimes clean, perfectly-synced harmonies are enough for me, especially if I like the tones. Gina vs Kala was gorgeous.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I guess it kinda depends what you want to get out of a battle performance. I like exciting vocal moments as much as the next person but sometimes clean, perfectly-synced harmonies are enough for me, especially if I like the tones. Gina vs Kala was gorgeous.

I've enjoyed performances with less powerful / flashy moments before, but for some reason their battle didn't do it for me. 🤷‍♂️

Franc West's version of Call Out My Name is the best performance of that song on the show. It was the first one and I still like it better than Joana, Payge, BrittanyBree, and Kique's versions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Franc West's version of Call Out My Name is the best performance of that song on the show. It was the first one and I still like it better than Joana, Payge, BrittanyBree, and Kique's versions.

I think everyone you mentioned did a great job. You can't really go wrong with any pick. Franc West is very underrated though for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I think everyone you mentioned did a great job. You can't really go wrong with any pick. Franc West is very underrated though for sure.

I think everyone did good as well. The only version I’m not a fan of is Kique but I’m probably biased against him anyway.

• Like 2