The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

44 minutes ago, Rodney said:

This needs to be printed out, put in a frame, and pushed into the face of all of her fans -- on here and elsewhere.

Wendy had a great voice and was clearly talented.  But she sang with little to emotion in every . . . single . . . performance.  It felt like she wasn't connecting to any of the songs.  The few performances of her that I did watch, it felt like she was singing at the audience, not to them.  There was no "there" there.

Still ecstatic that she lost.

Yeah, I have a lot of respect for the vocal performance she delivered in OTR, but it felt to me like the plan was was to try to "outscream" her way into the win (compared to GNT's more personable and lowkey approach to songs), which IMO resulted in a vocally flawless but hollow performance of a magical song. I was also bothered by her lack of attitude and intensity during Jolene, and how she avoided singing the chorus in YAINTGB, but I couldn't criticize her without being attacked here. I personally don't know how she could've fixed those issues considering she had Blake as her coach, and Blake is the The Voice equivalent of a rich dad who spoils their kids: he's gonna buy you everything you want (AKA your ticket to the finale) and tell you that everything you do is fine & perfect, while not helping the acts improving whatsoever. 

That reminds me of how I couldn't connect to India Carney due to her lack of emotion and excess of vibrato and runs during her performances, but Xtina quickly fixed that by giving her songs that directly appealed to her dramatic side from her theater background (Hurt) and a song that meant a lot to her and would allow her to show more connection, which funny enough was Over the Rainbow.

Edited by Weirdoo
  • Like 1

You guys are being too harsh on Wendy. Does she lack emotion? 100%. But she's not any worse than some of the past winners, like Danielle Bradbery or Jordan Smith lol. IMO just enjoy the vocal and if you can't, don't watch it. At least it's better than someone who can't even stay on pitch making the final.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Weirdoo said:

Now that GNT already won I can say what I wanted to without being attacked by the raging fans of Wendy

Yes, OTR was a vocal masterclass, but I really disliked the tone she gave to the song and the amount of things that were added to a melody that’s meant to have emotion as its focus. OTR and You’re All I Need to Get By were great vocally, but she had a lot to work on in the emotions department and at the choices she made for each of her performances.

I dont think her version was ment to capture the emotion of the song. After watching Patti Labelle's version, which is the one Wendy covered, that wasn't much of an emotional performance either rather than a vocal showcase.

A lot of people have commented on Wendy's lack of emotion, and I don't think it's fair to discredit an entire group of people that feel that way. That being said, I wonder how much that has to do with her tone? Its very clean, proffesional sounding. You rarely hear her add any sort of rasp or crispness to her voice, and it's not a particularly round, full voice either.

Personally, I thought Ain't no way had some emotional delivery to it.

9 minutes ago, zjc19951109 said:

You guys are being too harsh on Wendy. Does she lack emotion? 100%. But she's not any worse than some of the past winners, like Danielle Bradbery or Jordan Smith lol. IMO just enjoy the vocal and if you can't, don't watch it. At least it's better than someone who can't even stay on pitch making the final.

????

I love Wendy but what was the need to drag Jordan down.

1 minute ago, Muhammad Ali Mirza said:

????

I love Wendy but what was the need to drag Jordan down.

They weren't dragging Jordan Smith down. Just saying that both are masterclass vocalists but not emotional performers.

I dont think the last sentence was even referring to Jordan smith

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zjc19951109 said:

I don't recall ever mentioning past winners lol I'm talking about Wendy and just Wendy, in the opinions thread. IMO just enjoy the discussions and if you can't, then don't get involved. And it's not like Wendy was pitch perfect all the time either, soo

6 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I dont think her version was ment to capture the emotion of the song. After watching Patti Labelle's version, which is the one Wendy covered, that wasn't much of an emotional performance either rather than a vocal showcase.

A lot of people have commented on Wendy's lack of emotion, and I don't think it's fair to discredit an entire group of people that feel that way. That being said, I wonder how much that has to do with her tone? Its very clean, proffesional sounding. You rarely hear her add any sort of rasp or crispness to her voice, and it's not a particularly round, full voice either.

Personally, I thought Ain't no way had some emotional delivery to it.

Then why pick Over the Rainbow????? There were so many other songs she could've picked to showcase her vocal gymnastics as opposed to a song that's meant to evoke a feeling of magic and freedom. You can't bake a chocolate cake then pour salt on it and say "well but it wasn't meant to be sweet!", like, it's a damn cake, it has to be sweet. The point about her tone is very valid though, I hadn't thought about that because that opens another can of worms in the form of the song choices she got. I don't know what kind of songs I'd give her, but I definitely think she got the wrong choices to show emotion with the kind of tone she has, now that you mention it. 

2 minutes ago, Weirdoo said:

I don't recall ever mentioning past winners lol I'm talking about Wendy and just Wendy, in the opinions thread. IMO just enjoy the discussions and if you can't, then don't get involved. And it's not like Wendy was pitch perfect all the time either, soo

Why suddenly so defensive lol. Trust me I always have the same criticism against Wendy. Half of her live performances had some pitch issues, half of her live performances felt like she wasn't even trying, and almost every one of them lack emotion😆 But for some reason I just don't think she's that bad. Maybe because of her rich tone, that can solve a lot of problems for me. Regarding the OTW performance, I actually thought she's showing more emotion than before, and probably her best live performance. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Weirdoo said:

Then why pick Over the Rainbow????? There were so many other songs she could've picked to showcase her vocal gymnastics as opposed to a song that's meant to evoke a feeling of magic and freedom. You can't bake a chocolate cake then pour salt on it and say "well but it wasn't meant to be sweet!", like, it's a damn cake, it has to be sweet. The point about her tone is very valid though, I hadn't thought about that because that opens another can of worms in the form of the song choices she got. I don't know what kind of songs I'd give her, but I definitely think she got the wrong choices to show emotion with the kind of tone she has, now that you mention it. 

Trust me, I didn't like the song choice the first time around. But even The title of the performance on youtube says "Pati Labelle's over the rainbow".

So she's covering a cover that prioritizes vocal showmanship over the emotion of the song. I don't see any problem. It would be a different issue if she said she was covering Judy Garland's version and made it a belt fest.

As to why she picked that song, Wendy did say she wanted to bring back the classics, and maybe wanted to bring attention to Patti Labelle's version? It would make sense since she covered Chaka Khan's cover of a Beatles song in her BA. But who knows for sure, and we don't know how limited her song choices were.

I also do agree she didn't have the best song choices. However, I do think IWALY should have been that emotional performance we were looking for from her, and that's unfortunately the performance where she had the most vocal problems.

Edited by Hsamid

7 minutes ago, zjc19951109 said:

Why suddenly so defensive lol. Trust me I always have the same criticism against Wendy. Half of her live performances had some pitch issues, half of her live performances felt like she wasn't even trying, and almost every one of them lack emotion😆 But for some reason I just don't think she's that bad. Maybe because of her rich tone, that can solve a lot of problems for me. Regarding the OTW performance, I actually thought she's showing more emotion than before, and probably her best live performance. 

I don't get your point here if we feel the same about Wendy then? I just posted my feelings about OTR, I think this discussion is fruitless if you want me to excuse her flaws because other contestants in the past also have flaws...? That's not being harsh, that's just how I feel about her, but if that makes you feel better I also feel like that about Danielle as a whole and most of Jordan's performances.

7 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Trust me, I didn't like the song choice the first time around. But even The title of the performance on youtube says "Pati Labelle's over the rainbow".

So she's covering a cover that prioritizes vocal showmanship over the emotion of the song. I don't see any problem. It would be a different issue if she said she was covering Judy Garland's version and made it a belt fest.

As to why she picked that song, Wendy did say she wanted to bring back the classics, and maybe wanted to bring attention to Patti Labelle's version? Who knows for sure, and we don't know how limited her song choices were.

I also do agree she didn't have the best song choices. However, I do think IWALY should have been that emotional performance we were looking for from her, and that's unfortunately the performance where she had the most vocal problems.

You missed my entire point. Labeling it as the Patti LaBelle version (which I also don't like btw) doesn't suddenly makes her lack of emoting on that song okay, she could've just not done that song if she doesn't want to show emotion. I don't get why we're arguing about the fact she supposedly chose that version in order to not have to emote when that's the bare minimum a good artist should be able to do when performing LOL

And once again, that's how I personally felt about her, if she was able to win over a lot of other people with whatever she was doing, good for her, it just didn't work for me because I'm no longer at the point where someone on the show wins me over by screaming their way through a song.

6 minutes ago, Weirdoo said:

I don't get your point here if we feel the same about Wendy then? I just posted my feelings about OTR, I think this discussion is fruitless if you want me to excuse her flaws because other contestants in the past also have flaws...? That's not being harsh, that's just how I feel about her, but if that makes you feel better I also feel like that about Danielle as a whole and most of Jordan's performances.

I guess my point is probably that I don't see Jordan or Danielle getting dragged as much as Wendy here and she's not even as bad as them? But of course, if everyone is just praising everyone like the coaches there will be no discussions. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hsamid said:

They weren't dragging Jordan Smith down. Just saying that both are masterclass vocalists but not emotional performers.

I dont think the last sentence was even referring to Jordan smith

OK.  Maybe I overthink that.

But man out of all the winners why Jordan??? He's one of the best vocalists I have ever seen. They could've mentioned some other ones which were actually underwhelming.

What exactly was the point of Wendy being on this show? Was her long history of gigs not doing it for her? I don't know if I want to hunt through her pre-performance packages because a lot of that is manufactured. It looks like she had a good time which is excellent for her, but I'm interested to know.

Edited by Rat!

I agree that Wendy could show more emotion, but I still enjoyed her run on the show.

I know a lot of people keep talking about having an AA female powerhouse win S22, but we have them like every season now. It would be cool to have an AA woman win S22, but she certainly doesn’t need to be a powerhouse. And I wouldn’t mind not having any powerhouse threats next season. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Weirdoo said:

You missed my entire point. Labeling it as the Patti LaBelle version (which I also don't like btw) doesn't suddenly makes her lack of emoting on that song okay, she could've just not done that song if she doesn't want to show emotion. I don't get why we're arguing about the fact she supposedly chose that version in order to not have to emote when that's the bare minimum a good artist should be able to do when performing LOL

And once again, that's how I personally felt about her, if she was able to win over a lot of other people with whatever she was doing, good for her, it just didn't work for me because I'm no longer at the point where someone on the show wins me over by screaming their way through a song.

Eh I guess we just have a fundamental disagreement there.

I think it does make it ok. I'm not sure what Pati Labelle and by extension, Wendy, was trying to emote with their version, if they were at all. But it certainly wasn't the same intent that the original was trying to convey. I'm ok with that. Whether that makes it good is up for debate and largely up to personal preference as well.

This conversation kind of reminds me of the debate people have with which IWALY version is better.

And yeah, understandable that belting no matter how good is not enough to win people over. We've had many great belters throughout the season.

Funnily enough, the issue you have with Wendy's OTR, I had with GNT's creep. Except that was far from a vocal masterclass.

15 hours ago, Rat! said:

What exactly was the point of Wendy being on this show? Was her long history of gigs not doing it for her? I don't know if I want to hunt through her pre-performance packages because a lot of that is manufactured. It looks like she had a good time which is excellent for her, but I'm interested to know.

If you read Wendy's fan thread, you will find lots of interviews and other information about her career.

Wendy has said that she's never done anything like The Voice before. It was a unique experience for her, and it's apparent that she enjoys variety in her career. Starting at 2:18 in the interview linked below, Wendy said she didn't have a tour after the pandemic and didn't know what she was going to do next. She got emails "the latter part of last year" about auditioning for The Voice and decided to send a video since she could do it from her home. "If I have too much experience, they'll just pass. But they didn't pass." Once she was on the show, Wendy said her goal was to win. But she also stated that she "didn't know how to play this game."

https://www.actionnews5.com/2021/09/23/live-powerhouse-singer-wendy-moten-shares-blind-audition-experience-voice

Her years of experience as a background vocalist and sessions singer are a big part of the reason she doesn't express a lot of emotion onstage. She wasn't the center of attention or the one in the spotlight for most of her career.

As far as Over the Rainbow, the song was meaningful to her. Wendy stated that she sang it in a Memphis talent contest she won as a teen. She probably chose to cover Patti LaBelle's version of the classic on The Voice because she felt it fit her and the competition setting—not so she wouldn't have to emote.

Edited by RTV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1