The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

6 hours ago, antikid said:

How in the hell did Blake ever win then, let alone 6 times? Not saying he is a terrible singer, but none of his duets were good iirc

Funny enough, his duets with his winners were not as good as the ones he had with other finalists. And Blake won 6 times because he is the best coach, specially when it comes to song choices and song executions. 

Yes, I know that's a very unpopular opinion in a forum that doesn't seem to be into country music. 

• Like 1

Just now, NerdN7 said:

Funny enough, his duets with his winners were not as good as the ones he had with other finalists. And Blake won 6 times because he is the best coach, specially when it comes to song choices and song executions. 

Yes, I know that's a very unpopular opinion in a forum that doesn't seem to be into country music. 

Blake tends to pick boring/awkward song choices for his duets in the finale,  ex: Danielle, Aliyah Moulden, Lauren Duski, Chloe. That been said, he is the best coach, gets the job done with his contestants, picks songs that will benefit them and appeal to the audience, and overall is usually the least prone to make dumb decisions(many will disagree because of personal taste, but let´s face it, the mistakes that he does make hasn´t actually cost him the competition, unlike Adam with Josh Kaufman or Miley with Chloe)

Also unpopular, I´m not a fan of Blake´s music at all but the guy can sing, check out his cover of She Talks to Angels and his duet with Xtina. When he wants, he can throw down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Blake tends to pick boring/awkward song choices for his duets in the finale,  ex: Danielle, Aliyah Moulden, Lauren Duski, Chloe. That been said, he is the best coach, gets the job done with his contestants, picks songs that will benefit them and appeal to the audience, and overall is usually the least prone to make dumb decisions(many will disagree because of personal taste, but let´s face it, the mistakes that he does make hasn´t actually cost him the competition, unlike Adam with Josh Kaufman or Miley with Chloe)

Also unpopular, I´m not a fan of Blake´s music at all but the guy can sing, check out his cover of She Talks to Angels and his duet with Xtina. When he wants, he can throw down.

I actually like his duets with Lauren and Chloe, and his choice for the latter was predictable since there wasn't much he could do that was more her lane. I agree with the other two you mentioned, and I specially agree with your comments about his voice. He is one of my favorite singers. 

Edited by NerdN7

47 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Unpopular opinion: I loved Will Breman from last season, I thought he brought a lot of fun to what I thought was kind of a dull season. His duet with Ricky in the T8 still remains one of my favorites.

Cosigned. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh, I've got a few new ones:

Micah Iverson's knockout was my favorite of the night. The instrumentals were EXQUISITE. His tone was gorgeous. He chose the perfect key to sing it in. I totally disagreed with the coaches when they said that Micah made a poor song choice. I really liked the way it came together. And I like it about 500 times more than Halsey's original version.

Both Micah and Tayler should have stayed. It's brutal that one had to go home; they both gave the best performances of the night, by far.

I'd rather have Tayler than any one of the "four-way knockout" singers.

I never, ever, ever liked Levi Watkins or Tate Brusa, and I will never understand any human being who did. Bad auditions, never should have gotten chair turns, had horrible knockouts, deserved to go home earlier... the whole shebang.

I really like Joei Fulco. I think her voice is really cool, and I'm very glad that she won against Levi.

I don't care for Megan Danielle. I wish I did.

To close it off, one for last season - I also loved Will Breman; I thought his performances were always fun, dynamic, and interesting. I always looked forward to him. Rose Short was my favorite, but as a whole, last season felt way more Adult Contemporary-oriented, even among the younger singers like Kat and Hello Sunday, and I found it a little dull sometimes. Will brought a lively and joyful spirit to it. And his performance of "Light My Fire" was in my top 10 among all performances last season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bouli said:

Oh, I've got a few new ones:

Micah Iverson's knockout was my favorite of the night. The instrumentals were EXQUISITE. His tone was gorgeous. He chose the perfect key to sing it in. I totally disagreed with the coaches when they said that Micah made a poor song choice. I really liked the way it came together. And I like it about 500 times more than Halsey's original version.

Both Micah and Tayler should have stayed. It's brutal that one had to go home; they both gave the best performances of the night, by far.

I'd rather have Tayler than any one of the "four-way knockout" singers.

I never, ever, ever liked Levi Watkins or Tate Brusa, and I will never understand any human being who did. Bad auditions, never should have gotten chair turns, had horrible knockouts, deserved to go home earlier... the whole shebang.

I really like Joei Fulco. I think her voice is really cool, and I'm very glad that she won against Levi.

I don't care for Megan Danielle. I wish I did.

To close it off, one for last season - I also loved Will Breman; I thought his performances were always fun, dynamic, and interesting. I always looked forward to him. Rose Short was my favorite, but as a whole, last season felt way more Adult Contemporary-oriented, even among the younger singers like Kat and Hello Sunday, and I found it a little dull sometimes. Will brought a lively and joyful spirit to it. And his performance of "Light My Fire" was in my top 10 among all performances last season.

these opinions are fairly popular (the S18 ones) among idol forums people. The one that I think most would disagree with the most are the first one (although I don't think anyone hated it, simply preferring Tayler) and the one about Megan.

My S18 ones:

I actually enjoy Mandi Castillo's tone, but I'm biased against her knowing John might save her over Zan 😅

Michael's Save performance was just decent. It's vocally good, but it sounds like he's trying to copy Nick Jonas, and it bores me to tears. Maybe I just don't like the guy for one reason or another.

Joei's Blind Auditions song was the perfect song for her and she's yet to sing a song that's as fitting for her voice.

Todd Michael Hall's performance in the battles didn't warrant a save. (But then again no one eliminated on Blake's team did because Kailey vs Cam was meh)

This last one isn't my opinion but I saw a comment saying Tate should've won over Roderick because he's a creative genius and he'd outsing everyone this season once his voice develops.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, antikid said:

I saw a lot of people on here say that Allegra is basically Brynn done right. While I do enjoy Allegra and she seems to be a better vocalist, I prefer Brynn's tone and stylistic choices

I'd have to agree. So far, I've enjoyed all of Brynn's performances more than I've enjoyed Allegra's. I love both, but I think Brynn's audition, battle and knockout all top Allegra's respective performances (Here Comes Goodbye is probably in my top 5 favorite performances from Season 14, and while I enjoyed Chandelier, it wasn't even the best knockout of the episode)

Here are some (hopefully) hot takes of my own.

- Jordan Smith didn't deserve to win. Not that he was bad, but compared to the likes of people like Madi, Emily, and Jeffrey, Jordan probably desreved to get eliminated in the semis or get 4th place.

- Season 6 is my least favorite season by far, only due to the fact that it was just so frustrating. So many weird and nonsensical decisions (the eliminations of Cary Laine, Kaleigh Glanton, Lindsay Bruce, Melissa Jiminez, and Clarissa Serna, TJ Wilkins making it as far as he did, the fact that DeShawn and Caleb even got chair turns)

- Kennedy Holmes' audition wasn't as good as it was portrayed to be. I'd even argue she didn't deserve the four-chair turn. She should've made it on the show, for sure, but she was nowhere near the best that season.

- IDK how unpopular this is, but I greatly prefer pre-taped playoffs to live playoffs.

- I don't get the hype around Hannah Huston. Her knockout was her standout performance, but she never even came close to topping that.

- Tamar Davis is one of, if not the most underrated contestants on the show.

- Courntey Harrell is overhated. Sure, she had two pretty bad perfrormances in the lives, and probably got eliminated where she deserved to, but her other performances were all pretty good, especially her audition. Lilli Passero had a very similar run (good audition/battle/knockout, but totally bombed in the lives), and she' gets nowhere near the negative reception Courtney Harrell gets.

- Hannah Kirby is extremely overrated. Her performances in the lives are borderline unlistenable.

- Micah rightfully beat Tayler. Micah was pretty abyssmal in the first half of his performance, but was much better in the second half. Tayler was technically good, but was pretty boring and uninteresting to listen to.

Edited by indii

15 hours ago, indii said:

- Jordan Smith didn't deserve to win. Not that he was bad, but compared to the likes of people like Madi, Emily, and Jeffrey, Jordan probably desreved to get eliminated in the semis or get 4th place.

THIS is one of the boldest takes I've seen on this thread, tbh. I don't agree with it but I have no choice but to respect it because of how bold it is. :haha:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ohwait said:

unpopular opinion:

we're not here for the artists, we're here for the show.

discuss

I used to be here for the artists, but when the show doesn't care about them, after a while it's hard for me to either. Plus how many hundreds of them have there been? 18 seasons and you're lucky to find 4-5 contestants that you like enough to listen to after the show ends.

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

THIS is one of the boldest takes I've seen on this thread, tbh. I don't agree with it but I have no choice but to respect it because of how bold it is. :haha:

I always said - and will continue to say - that Jeffery was the better singer of the two. But it was between them. Amy if you wanted something artistic. 

11 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I always said - and will continue to say - that Jeffery was the better singer of the two. But it was between them. Amy if you wanted something artistic. 

Being a better singer has nothing to do with success. Just ask Britney Spears.

I have a couple.

- Amy Vachal, Lilli Passero and Deanna Johnson were overrated singers that excelled in their Blind Auditions but never reached that level again.

- Sundance Head and Craig Wayne Boyd are way more deserving winners than IDF thinks. 

23 minutes ago, NerdN7 said:

I have a couple.

- Amy Vachal, Lilli Passero and Deanna Johnson were overrated singers that excelled in their Blind Auditions but never reached that level again.

- Sundance Head and Craig Wayne Boyd are way more deserving winners than IDF thinks. 

Offering my own counter unpopular opinion to this: Amy Vachal has one of the best KOs of all time. To this day, I still listen to her studio version (it's even prettier) when it comes up on shuffle. As a whole, Amy vs. Madi remains the best overall knockout in my opinion, both of them gave perfect 10/10's for me.

And overall, with the exception of her live PO's performance, I thought Amy's run on the show was fantastic. Overall one of the best that season. She was more deserving of the finale than Jeffery/Barrett/Emily Ann imo.

(I'll agree with you on Lilli/Deanna and Sundance/Craig, but Lilli was definitely the victim of poor song choices being forced onto her and she did the best that she could with the tragic songs...)

Edited by Someone648

35 minutes ago, NerdN7 said:

I have a couple.

-For me, Lili´s peak was her KO, she literally did a duet with herself (showing different textures of her voice in one performance). After she went to Adam she never reached the same level (I still can´t believed that Adam, even knowing that Lili was sick on T12 week, decided to give her a high energy song that totally didn´t fit her style or voice, and on top of that, had her sing that song in front of Shania Twain herself🤦‍♂️)

- Agree with you on Deanna. Never liked her tone. As for Amy, it´s the same thing as Lili for me: Fantastic KO and never achieved that level again.

-Also agree with you on Sundance. That season overall was rough, and he was one of the few to stand out, not to mention he wasn´t your typical country artist, he went soul ,bluegrass and rock on the show as well. He actually wanted Alicia as his coach but she didn´t turn for him. I imagine she would have taken him in a more soulful direction. As for Craig, I don´t hate him like IDF does, he was solid throughout the run and the fact that he managed to outlast the two people that beat him in the taped rounds is pretty impressive. That been said, I still think Matt should have won that season.

3 hours ago, NerdN7 said:

I have a couple.

I agree on everyone except Amy. I'd even argue that DeAnna didn't even excell that much in her blind. Not a fan of her tone at all. I'd say that I enjoyed all of Lilli's pre-taped perfrormances, but she dropped off hard in the lives.

Some more:

- Damien deserved his spot in the finale in S7. The season itself was quite weak and he managed to stand out, especially on the final weeks. 

- I didn´t get the hype with India Carney. She started out good but took quite a plank in the lives. 

- DR King rightfully beat Jackie on their battle in S14.

- Selkii rightfully won over Cecily in their battle in S16. ( I know her later performances were a mess, but I thought the battle specifically was hers)

- Dexter Roberts´s performance of "Here Without You" is underrated on IDF. He rightfully earned his place in the finale with that one.

- The Bundys rightfully beat Mikaela their battle in S16.

- I didn´t like Shane Q at all in the lives, but I liked his audition and thought he won his battle. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

- Dexter Roberts´s performance of "Here Without You" is underrated on IDF. He rightfully earned his place in the finale with that one.

Agree with both of these. I think people choose Jackie as a matter of tone preference, but DR King showed more technical capability. 

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Some more:

- Damien deserved his spot in the finale in S7. The season itself was quite weak and he managed to stand out, especially on the final weeks. 

- I didn´t get the hype with India Carney. She started out good but took quite a plank in the lives. 

- Selkii rightfully won over Cecily in their battle in S16. ( I know her later performances were a mess, but I thought the battle specifically was hers)

- The Bundys rightfully beat Mikaela their battle in S16.

- I didn´t like Shane Q at all in the lives, but I liked his audition and thought he won his battle. 

I agree with the fact that Shane Q's blind was good, but I think a lot of people would agree on that (look at the YouTube stats)

On 4/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, Someone648 said:

I might agree. I didnt watch the show back then but I have watched his run on YouTube. His audition was good but some of his live performances were kinda rough. From what I've seen Chris Mann in the early years, who got 4th, was way better.

Hey guys, thought I would take a crack at this thread. Stay healthy and please don't crucify me too much for these lol.

Bria Kelly was horrible: She gave one ok performance in her blind which half the time was screaming, but it worked I guess. Then every performance afterwards was trash. "Piece of My Heart" she just screamed over Tess who was killing it, "Stand By You" showed that she couldn't sing softly, "Wild Horses" showed that her voice wasn't as big as we all thought, just raspy, "Rolling in the Deep" showed that she was unable to work the stage properly and had to have her guitar there as a safety blanket (watch it back, she literally lets it hang there and doesn't play it till the last 20 seconds), "I'm With You" was just awful

Kirk Jay had a terrible tone: Yikes, that was a HARD voice for me to listen to. I'll give him that he was able to connect pretty well, but his tone was just horrible to listen to.

I thought Presley rightfully beat Rizzi in their battle: I probably would have still picked Rizzi because of overall body work and potential and she totally deserved a steal, but Presley's voice sounded more natural in the bombastic part and she worked the stage better than Rizzi did imo

The biggest bus in all of Voice history (excpept Robegate) was Team Shakira Season 6: TPTB knew going in when they went to edit the season which contestants the Top 12 were since Playoffs were prerecorded. Two of of the three (Tess and Dani) had montaged auditions and BOTH of Kristen's battles were too! They easily could have switched some people who were and weren't monatged to make it so that way Sharkira had a fair shot in the live shows (Ex. Montage Deshawn Washington instead of Tess or Dani, because he was an average one chair turn who was eliminated in the battles. It would have made much more sense of Dani, his battle partner, or Tess, who was stolen TWICE to get that airtime). I think this is bigger than Kyla's bus, Shane Q's bus, and Lauren Duskoi's bus because it wasn't just one incident with one contestant, but three continuously getting bussed

Sorry if these had been shared before in the old thread, I joined recently and never peaked at it

Edited by thevoiceswimmer