DEE

#1. Squirtle (Generation I)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Squirtle is the greatest starter Pokémon ever. Hands down. Period. Kanto Legend. The best Water-type Pokémon ever. One of my Top 5 Pokémon of all-time. The first Pokémon I ever played with. The first Pokémon I ever really fell in love with. IDC what anybody says, or what the rankings reflect. I just do not think that there is any way one can argue against the iconic history of Squirtle. Whether in the games, the anime, the manga, the film, other video game appearances, side-game appearances, Squirtle reigns to this very day as one of the greatest Pokémon ever created. Squirtle truly helped to create a universe that is incomparable and revolutionary. EVERYBODY BETTER PUT RESPECT ON SQUIRTLE'S NAME. The game-changer. I love Squirtle so much. I could write a ton, but I am stopping myself before typing forever. Squirtle should win, but will not. That is fine. Check the resume. ILY SQUIRTLE. ❤️

JAMES

SQUIRTLE

giphy.gif

There are so many iconic Gen. 1 Pokémon, but few as universally adored as our beloved Squirtle! :hug: Technically my very first Pokémon, and thus eternally one of my most treasured. I have a hard time NOT selecting it every time I replay the Blue/Red games, because of the nostalgia and sentiment factors. It's ridiculously cute and an excellent option to play with every single time. It's just love. Thus, instead of trying to pick between my Rankdown Snowflakes, ultimately the OG Favoritism reigned supreme!

Squirtle is, of course, the Water-type starter Pokémon for the Red/Blue games. It's known as the "Tiny Turtle Pokémon". It evolves into Wartortle at Level 16, which subsequently evolves into Blastoise at Level 36. If you're one of those people who stave-off evolution just to enjoy Squirtle's company for a longer period of time, I'm here to tell you there's nothing wrong with that! :dead:

source.gif

I'm certain this will come as no shock to you, but guess what? You won't be able to nab it in the Kanto region's wild! 🍦 (Well, the hack and all....) Choose it from Professor Oak in Pallet Town and be proud of your decision. That being said, at least you'll be able to receive it in Yellow. Even though you begin with the lovely Pikachu, you can also make Squirtle a member of your team! Officer Jenny will gift you a free Squirtle after you kick-ass in Vermilion City Gym and earn yourself the Thunder Badge. It's a spontaneous yet welcome reward!

Well, it will be interesting to see where it lands. Congrats on making the Top 20! 👋

source.gif

VICTORIA

Squirtle

Spr_1b_007.png

SQUIRTLE DID THAT. (!) Maybe Charmander could have too but we will never know because Dee cut it. 🙂 Squirtle is a legend, an icon and is representing for Bulbasaur, Charmander, Jiggglypuff, Togepi and Pikachu. I have spoken. I chould write the word legend 151 times and that would be a great write-up for Squirtle. It's my favorite starter of the three so that's cool that it made it to the end. I'm running out of fuel because I went from #20 up so let's get this started. Squirtle is a Water-type Pokémon introduced in Generation I. It evolves into Wartortle starting at level 16, which evolves into Blastoise starting at level 36. Along with Bulbasaur and Charmander, Squirtle is one of three starter Pokémon of Kanto available at the beginning of Pokémon Red, Green, Blue, FireRed, and LeafGreen. LEGENDARY. SQUIRTLE THE ICON. Does it have a chance to win? I don't know. I would be surprised if any Gen I Pokémon win this. It is known as the Tiny Turtle Pokémon. Squirtle appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a NPC and was upgraded in Super Smash Bros. Brawl where Squirtle is a playable Pokémon used by the Pokémon Trainer. It got downgraded in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U as a trophy but upgraded again Squirtle in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate where it returns as a playable Pokémon used by the Pokémon Trainer. Squirtle appeared in Detective Pikachu. I just thought you should know that. :wub: I ranked you #2 so I hope you do well. LEGENDARY SQUIRTLE AND THE TOY STORY OF THIS RANKDOWN.

STEVEN

SQUIRTLE

source.gif

Charmander is my favorite starter Pokémon, but Squirtle is a very close second. So, I'm delighted to see Squirtle here in the Top 20. Squirtle's adorable appearance and humorous role in the anime makes it easy to see why Squirtle is still so popular after all these years. I'm not sure how high Squirtle will rank for the rest of the rankers, but Squirtle gets the #4 spot on my list.

Squirtle, classified as the Tiny Turtle Pokémon, is a Water type introduced in Generation I. Squirtle evolves into Wartortle when it reaches level 16. Wartortle can then evolve into Blastoise at level 36. According to its Pokédex entry, Squirtle will withdraw into its shell when it senses danger. The shell is soft when it is born, but the shell will harden over time. This shell also enables Squirtle to swim at high speeds in the water. While attacking, Squirtle will shoot water at prey. As for Pokémon battles, Squirtle has access to a versatile movepool. Nonetheless, trainers will make great use out of Blastoise's bulkiness. So, go ahead and evolve your Squirtle (unless you'd rather have it stay as a Squirtle).

Overall, Squirtle is a lovable Pokémon that's achieved a lot of popularity thanks to its role in the anime (Squirtle Squad!). Squirtle is also playable in the later editions of the Super Smash Bros. series. I don't know how high Squirtle will rank among this Top 20, but I think a Top 10 placement is possible. We'll see, but Squirtle better outrank Piplup so Squirtle can be the highest ranked starter Pokémon in the rankdown.

giphy.gif

REI

128px-Shuffle007.png

I never thought Squirtle would be the winner of this rankdown even if I knew Squirtle was listed on 3 rankers's s top 5. I must admit that I'm a little disappointed that Squirtle is the winner cause there many Gen I Pokemon that Iove more. But the people has spoken and Squirtle is the winner of the first Pokemon Rankdown and probably last ever. Squirtle is one of the most famous pokemon ever in the franchise, thanks to being part of the first starter trio in the games, its multiple appearances in the anime as part of Ash's team and also being the mascot of Pokemon Blue. Even to this day, Squirtle has made a name of itself with even having a famous meme two years ago. From the Squirtle line, Squirtle is my favorite, followed by Blastoise and in a distance last Wartortle. Wartortle is so bad and easily my least favorite pokemon from all the Gen I starters. Squirtle is based on a turtle and even if there are many turtles nowadays, Squirtle is easily the best one. I don't understand why they keep introducing turtles into the Pokemon world like the unnecessary Drednaw that is just a discount version of Squirtle. As for battles, Squirtle is pretty useful as you can evolve in into Wartortle at level 16 and then in Blastoise at level 36 and use those 530 BST. Squirtle appearances in the anime are pretty iconic with the whole Squirtle Squad episode where Ash's Squirtle was introduced and showed that even if it was a bully, Squirtle was pretty cool. After a bunch of seasons, Squirtle realized that Ash was a really crappy trainer and he decided to go back to the Squirtle Squad and be a firefighter like its previous friends. Like I said earlier, I would have preferred a different winner but Squirtle is not too bad either and I understand why it won this Rankdown.

My ranking: 10/20

NICO

11. Squirtle

So Squirtle was my first starter. If I didn’t need to fill 100 words I could leave the write up like that as enough justification haha, but Rei hates us all clearly. I think most of my playthroughs for Gen 1 I have used this line (followed by Bulbasaur quite a few times, and just a few with Charmander). It was really easy to use for the first few routes, allowed you to catch almost anything you tried, and could shred the first gym. It also gave you a little bit more of a challenge than Bulbasaur, who could breeze through the first 3 gyms, so that was nice. I will say more in my Blastoise write up, but yeah, still a fan.

MEGAN

Squirtle

giphy.mp4

LOL there’s Squirtle eating a “jelly donut.†Dubbers were like “silly Americans will not know what Onigiri is.†They couldn’t even say like rice ball. In Xenoblade Chronicles they call them dumplings. LOL. What’s the line for what is sufficiently understood by Americans and what is not. I assume just like ramen and sushi. Spending half of this write-up talking about how Japanese food is dubbed in the United States because Americans only understand hamburgers and donuts is pretty much how I feel about Gen I starter Squirtle who is not as good as its fellow starters Charmader and Bulbasaur and how water Pokemon are the worst. 

SOLA

Squirtle:

For a long time I went back and forth on who I preferred between Charmander and Squirtle.  I really like both of them but Squirtle ultimately fell to second place. He is still adorable however.  Squirtle is the only Pokémon line to have two entries in the Top 20, so that should say a lot about its popularity.  I am ranking it lower then blastoise because I feel like it will get more votes, and I don’t want Squirtle to win.  It’s a pure Water type starter from the first generation and had a big role in the anime.  The Squirtle squad episode is one of my favorites.  Its stats are okay, but they become great as he evolves.  He evolves first into Wartortle at level 16, and then into Blastoise at 36.  I am not surprised to see Squirtle in the finals; I find it to be less haters then Bulbasaur and Charmander.

Edited by .Rei

Just now, Solaris said:

Congrats Squirtle!!

Also his average is wrong Rei :P

I don’t know what you’re talking about 😙

8 minutes ago, Solaris said:

IDK,  what you call a messy game, sure as heck wasn't mine.  Getting all your favs to the second last round and 3 of them to the Top 20 (or hell 4 of them in Nicos case), id say thats playing pretty amazing games.  

I'm not talking about Nico, who I think played a good game, even if a savage one.

Upsetting everybody to the point of tanking your #1 so hard that it ranks 20th, all the while not having the guts to stick to your guns to very end and actually ranking your #1 first, all the while having your #13 ranking win while openly admitting in your write-up that you do not want them to win...I'd say that is a messy and unsuccessful game.

But I am a winner, so no sense in arguing with you! 😘

i made pokemon GIF

Congrats to Squirtle. If Arcanine couldn’t win, at least it was runner-up to a Pokémon I like a lot too.

Awesome job hosting this, Rei! The creativity of this rankdown was fantastic and you made this a fun one for sure. Great first rankdown, and I look forward to any future rankdowns you do host. :thumbs:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deeee said:

I'm not talking about Nico, who I think played a good game, even if a savage one.

Upsetting everybody to the point of tanking your #1 so hard that it ranks 20th, all the while not having the guts to stick to your guns to very end and actually ranking your #1 first, all the while having your #13 ranking win while openly admitting in your write-up that you do not want them to win...I'd say that is a messy and unsuccessful game.

i made pokemon GIF

Lol, Starmie was getting tanked no matter how I played.  You can call my game strategic, nuanced and certainly no game you would ever be capable of playing.  Congrats on the one you ranking #1 winning, I suppose if that was your entire objective, then you achieved it.  But discrediting how I played, when consistently  my agenda was heavily pushed and successful makes you look delusional.  But since we aren't arguing, you won't need to respond to this. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Congrats to Squirtle. If Arcanine couldn’t win, at least it was runner-up to a Pokémon I like a lot too.

Awesome job hosting this, Rei! The creativity of this rankdown was fantastic and you made this a fun one for sure. Great first rankdown, and I look forward to any future rankdowns you do host. :thumbs:

Amazing runner-up! I agree the rankdown was very creative and fun.  Thanks for hosting Rei!

• Like 1

@.Rei my friend this was a fantastic Rankdown! I second everything said by Steven. Super creative, super well-planned, very proud of you! 

Congratulations on finishing a successful Rankdown!

• Like 1

I would have been happy either way, love both and they are terrific pokemon. While I'm a little shocked that an unevolved pokemon ended up winning, if anyone was gonna pull that off, it was gonna be a starter. Awesome that it was Squirtle tho, since it was the first pokemon I picked when I played the game.

Great rankdown Rei!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deeee said:

i made pokemon GIF

LOL thank you. I think I took a lot of lessons from the music rankdown, where I kept too many deals for acts I despised. So I went all in getting rid of the pokemon I don't like way earlier (for reference I burned most of my deals during the T100 in music, and I went in here at T300-250 lmao).

But as far as getting 4 of my Top 5 to the final ranking (with only Feraligatr getting cut right before that), the best thing I applied were meat shield faves. Pretty much a stolen idea for how well they worked for Chris in music lmao.

Thanks everybody for all the kind words! :wub: :wub:

I love all 7 of you and I’m glad that everybody was able to finish this Rankdown And humor me with all the twists that I planned for this Rankdown, even the not-so-good. 

Didn’t think there was going to be a lot of drama with Pokémon but boy  little did i knew :haha:

Anyways, a special thanks to all of you @Steven_, @NGM, @Deeee, @Solaris, @1234567890, @totes4totes and @ePastorJames for all the fun and sticking throughout these 11 months of madness :spaz:

Edited by .Rei
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NGM said:

LOL thank you. I think I took a lot of lessons from the music rankdown, where I kept too many deals for acts I despised. So I went all in getting rid of the pokemon I don't like way earlier (for reference I burned most of my deals during the T100 in music, and I went in here at T300-250 lmao).

But as far as getting 4 of my Top 5 to the final ranking (with only Feraligatr getting cut right before that), the best thing I applied were meat shield faves. Pretty much a stolen idea for how well they worked for Chris in music lmao.

I was super impressed with your strategy tbh!

i was always amused on how you kept giving immunities to Aegislash, Chandelure and Luxray even if they were t your top favorites. I also believe had you not choose Totodile as your starter, Feraligatr would have made the top 20, as it was the only Pokémon they could link to you.

51 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

literally the worst.

good rankdown rei even if this top 20 was just as bad as the og lost forever RPDR one.

8 hours ago, .Rei said:

Fun fact:

Only one ranker is left with none of their top 5 still on the game 

Just say my name 😭😭😭

On 1/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, .Rei said:

As much as I like the design of Houndoom I wonder if it should have both horns and ears. Would that make it cuter????

still thinking about this.

5 hours ago, Deeee said:

i made pokemon GIF

I don't usually agree with Dee on very much but this is really spot on.

15 hours ago, totes4totes said:

Just say my name 😭😭😭

sorry :(

but at least Infernape and Noivern (and deservedly so) made the top 5 

This is how the placements changed as I received the rankings for everyone

And the final column are the placements with my rankings included 

image.png.abcb9898dac91ecc54c1ce7d6bacd36f.png

I hope James is fine :unsure:

I haven't seen him online since before the upgrade and I tried reaching to him via twitter but got no reply. 

3 hours ago, .Rei said:

Here is the final image with all winners. 

IvqIgxh.png?1

So Pretty 

Starmie, Arcanine, Umbreon 2x, Decidueye 2x (so close to winning three) , Scizor all winning categories :wub:

4 hours ago, .Rei said:

sorry :(

but at least Infernape and Noivern (and deservedly so) made the top 5 

Infernape did not make the Top 5! And neither did Noivern!

Edited by totes4totes

2 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Infernape did not make the Top 5! And neither did Noivern!

I meant that 2 of your top 5 made the top 20. But I wrote it wrong :haha:

On 1/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, Solaris said:

if the math is correct, Victorias 20th place winning.  :haha:

I guess you are not good at math. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.