James - 7/20

Steven - 8/20

Megan - 8/20 

Sola - 9/20

Dee - 11/20

VICTORIA

Blastoise

Spr_1b_009.png

Can we take a moment and realize that Squirtle did THAT? The Toy Story of the Pokémon Rankdown, truly. Did we need it in the finals? Not really. I would have much preferred Bulbasaur, but I blame a mixture of James, Steven and Sola for that one. Oh, well. It's done and over with. Blastoise (Japanese: カメックス Kamex) is a Water-type Pokémon introduced in Generation I. It evolves from Wartortle starting at level 36. It is the final form of Squirtle. It can Mega Evolve into Mega Blastoise using the Blastoisinite. Blastoise is the game mascot of the Japanese and international versions of Pokémon Blue as it appears on the boxart of both. So Blastoise is a legend tbh. Blastoise appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee when released from a Poké Ball, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. All as NPC's. It appeared in Pokkén Tournament as a DLC playable character in Pokkén Tournament DX. Blastoise appeared in Detective Pikachu. It battled a Gengar at an illegal fight club only to be defeated. You beat Gengar in this rankdown thanks to Nico at least. It's known as the Shellfish Pokémon and it's kind of selfish because two if its evolutions made it to the finals. A TRUE LEGEND AND A WORTHY WINNER. It won't happen but know that Squirtle did THAT and your favorite didn't.

NICO

7. Blastoise

So as I said, first starter, so yeah, it ranks this high (my fave starter is Feraligatr tho, so close to having my complete top 5 in here :broken:). But I still love Blastoise all the same. And unlike Bulbasaur and Charmander, there was actually a lot of competition for a water type pokemon in my team back in Gen 1. The only halfway viable replacement for a Venusaur was Exeguttor (and that was mostly bc Psychic was OP, plus mid-game pokemon). The best option to replace Charizard was Arcanine (and it was a version exclusive and a mid-game find). And even when it had more competition (Lapras, Vaporeon, Starmie, and more), it shined for me. I always tend to gravitate towards more defensive pokemon bc you can try different things with them. Sure there is nothing wrong with a straightforward approach, but I like to look for sneaky things to do. So yeah, still love it after so much time.

JAMES

BLASTOISE

giphy.gif

I'm glad that of all the possibilities, this line was able to sneak two into the endgame. Blastoise is one of my all-time favorites, and was a joy to play with in my many original playthroughs of the Gen. I games. Let's face facts: SURF is a killer move that magnificently wiped opponents out of the arena. Too bad, so sad. 😘

Blastoise is naturally a purely Water-type Pokémon, known as the "Shellfish Pokémon". It is the final evolution of Gen. I's Water starter line. It evolves from the spunky Wartortle at Level 36, after it has evolved from the beloved Squirtle at Level 16. ❤️ It can also Mega Evolve into Mega Blastoise, using the Blastoisinite. This acquires it an extra cannon, which becomes an even more powerful aqua bazooka!

Naturally, you cannot locate it in the Kanto wild. You must select Squirtle from Professor Oak in Pallet Town in Blue/Red, evolve it into Wartortle, and then into Blastoise. However, you will receive a Squirtle in Yellow from Officer Jenny in Vermilion City after earning the Thunder Badge! :w00t: So evolve that into Wartortle, then Blastoise. Have it alongside Pikachu for your journey. Woohoo!

Well, it will be interesting to see where it lands. Congrats on making the Top 20! 👋

WeightyScaryBear-small.gif

STEVEN

BLASTOISE

source.gif

Blastoise, classified as the Shellfish Pokémon, is a Water type introduced in Generation I. Blastoise is the final evolved form of Squirtle. Squirtle evolves into Wartortle when it reaches level 16. Wartortle can then evolve into Blastoise at level 36. Blastoise is also capable of Mega Evolution. Blastoise's design is of a large, bipedal turtle with water jets on its shell. According to its Pokédex entry, Blastoise is a brutal Pokémon and the force of the water that shoots from its shell are more powerful than a fire hose. The force is even strong enough to punch through heavy steel. As for Pokémon battles, Blastoise is bulky with very high defensive stats. Blastoise is a very reliable Pokémon that would be a great addition on any team. I do like Blastoise a lot, but I do hope both Squirtle and Charizard can outrank it. However, I won't tank Blastoise's score since I like Blastoise a lot more than the rest of the Pokémon I have ranked below it.

giphy.gif

MEGAN

Blastoise

source.gif

Objectively Blastoise is the worst of the OG starter trilogy. Charizard is cool. Venusaur is based on a frog. Blastoise is a turtle with the face of a bulldog. Due to my job I have #FrogLoyalty and even outside of that turtles are dumb. Does Blastoise have the fewest weaknesses of its compadres? Yes. But what other advantages does it have? NONE. Water Pokemon are everywhere. I can grab a good water Pokemon at any time in any game. Many of which like Vaporeon are not based on turtles. Some of which, like Golisopod are based on bugs. Bugs >>> Turtles. Blastoise only has an advantage over the fish Pokemon. Blastoise >>>>>>> Goldeen and Seaking combined. Give me Venusaur and Charizard any day. Or better yet, just give me a different generation of starters. In fact give me a Greninja, the best water starter

SOLA

Blastoise:

My second favorite Kanto final evolution.  Squirtle has solid evolutions all the way through (unlike Charmander's oddball Charmeleon evolution).  Blastoise is a beast; those cannons on its back are mighty intimidating.  It evolves from Wartortle at level 36.  Being a mono water type Blastoise is only weak to Grass and Electric type moves.  Have you seen mega blastoise?  Those arm cannons are amazing, watch out anyone who is attacking it.  Blastoise makes a solid defensive Pokémon as it excels in defense and special defense.

DEE

#11. Blastoise (Generation I)

giphy.gif

Blastoise. An icon. A legend. A trailblazer. The Shellfish Pokémon. The original badass. The mascot. Pokémon Blue.  :wub:

There are an infinite amount of amazing things I could say about Blastoise. One of my absolute favorite Pokémon ever. My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Blue, so I have a really special attachment of Blastoise. That should also indicate where Squirtle will rank for me. I just have super fond memories of Blastoise, and I really think that Blastoise is the coolest and most amazing of all the original starters. Charizard ranks one spot higher simply because Victoria asked that of me and I was nice enough to do that for her. But let it be known. Blastoise is the best final evolution of the Gen I starters. Blastoise is also among the best of all Generation I Pokémon, which means that Blastoise is one of the best Pokémon ever. PERIODT. NO QUESTIONS.

There is a reason why Blastoise is still one of the mascots for the series over two decades later. Because Blastoise a badass motherf*cker. A war-machine turtle with two hydro pump cannons that can also go into its shell form and still kick ass? Look at the reach Blastoise has. Look at the crossover appearances Blastoise has. Who cares about all of its amazing stats? Blastoise has a résumé that speaks for itself.

Part of me does not even feel like going into details about any of Gen I because I know Nico and Sola (potentially Megan depending on the Pokémon) tanked all of their rankings. So I will probably just be hella annoying in my Ten I write-ups moving forward and type random nonsense about how amazing they are. And hopefully force all of you to read said nonsense.

BLASTOISE 4 LYFE. BLASTOISE 4 EVAAHHHHH.

REI

128px-Shuffle009.png128px-Shuffle009M.png

Blastoise's ranking is the real surprise for me in this top 20. I know Blastoise is a pretty famous Pokemon and well liked by most but I've never thought it would have reach the finals, let alone finish in 3rd place. I always thought if the Kanto starters made the end it would had been Bulbasaur, Charizard and Squirtle, which two of them did. Also the fact that it beat Charizard is kinda surprising to me. Anyways, Blastoise is a pretty cool Pokemon but certainly not my favorite water starter is I much prefer Feraligatr, Greninja and now Inteleon :wub: Having said that, Blastoise is a pretty great Pokemon to have if you want a water Pokemon in your team with a total of 530 BST and only two weaknesses with Grass and Electric. You can also take advantage of STABS Hydro Pump, Aqua Tail, Surf and Liquidation and do some serious damage. Another good thing with Blastoise, is its Mega evolution after using the Blastoisinite where Blastoise will now have a total of 630 BST. Blastoise is one of the most famous Pokemon and was even the mascot of one of the games in the mains series ,so while not a top favorite of mine, Blastoise fame and final place in this is understandable. Really great job of finishing in 3rd.

My ranking: 12/20

Edited by .Rei

Dee:

02. Haunter

03. Decidueye

04. Snorlax

05. Umbreon

06. Lucario

07. Houndoom

09. Articuno

10. Charizard

11. Blastoise

12. Ampharos

13. Krookodile

14. Noivern

15. Tyranitar

16. Piplup

17. Infernape

18. Milotic

19. Scraggy

20. Starmie

James:

02. Scraggy

03. Articuno

04. Krookodile

05. Haunter

06. Houndoom

07. Blastoise

08. Charizard

09. Noivern

10. Lucario

11. Umbreon

12. Tyranitar

13. Ampharos

15. Decidueye

16. Snorlax

17. Infernape

18. Piplup

19. Starmie

20. Milotic

Megan:

01. Infernape

02. Noivern

03. Houndoom

04. Ampharos

05. Tyranitar

06. Charizard

08. Blastoise

09. Lucario

10. Snorlax

12. Umbreon

13. Haunter

14. Decidueye

15. Krookodile

16. Articuno

17. Milotic

18. Scraggy

19. Piplup

20. Starmie

Nico:

01. Umbreon

02. Tyranitar

03. Lucario

05. Houndoom

06. Ampharos

07. Blastoise

08. Infernape

09. Noivern

10. Snorlax

12. Milotic

13. Articuno

14. Starmie

15. Decidueye

16. Piplup

17. Krookodile

18. Scraggy

19. Haunter

20. Charizard

Rei:

01. Tyranitar

02. Houndoom

03. Umbreon

05. Noivern

06. Decidueye

07. Snorlax

08. Infernape

09. Milotic

11. Charizard

12. Blastoise

13. Ampharos

14. Lucario

15. Starmie

16. Haunter

17. Scraggy

18. Articuno

19. Krookodile

20. Piplup

Sola:

01. Decidueye

03. Starmie

04. Piplup

05. Umbreon

06. Milotic

07. Noivern

08. Ampharos

09. Blastoise

10. Houndoom

11. Krookodile

12. Lucario

14. Infernape

15. Charizard

16. Snorlax

17. Scraggy

18. Tyranitar

19. Haunter

20. Articuno

Steven:

02. Charizard

03. Milotic

05. Articuno

06. Umbreon

07. Ampharos

08. Blastoise

09. Haunter

10. Houndoom

11. Snorlax

12. Infernape

13. Noivern

14. Krookodile

15. Scraggy

16. Decidueye

17. Piplup

18. Tyranitar

19. Starmie

20. Lucario

Victoria:

01. Charizard

03. Piplup

04. Snorlax

05. Haunter

06. Blastoise

07. Articuno

08. Lucario

09. Tyranitar

10. Decidueye

11. Infernape

12. Ampharos

13. Noivern

14. Milotic

15. Starmie

16. Scraggy

17. Umbreon

18. Krookodile

19. Houndoom

Just now, .Rei said:

that had me lol'ing the first time I realized that

is this the first time that happens in a rankdown?

Indeed, my 20th place got Top 4 last DWTS, i think that was the furthest otherwise.  

Wish you had submited yours then.  Decidueye gets a Spot in the Top 10 and becomes the last ghost type standing, articuno goes down and  umbreon goes up a spot.  More desirable results.

But your rankings wouldnt have changed who wins.