idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
.Rei

Pokemon Rankdown 1.0 Part 2, #3 was revealed 4ever ago, I'll update in 5 minutes 6789

After essentially being like 95% finished with the Gen VIII story meaning I've seen most of the new Pokemon and explored like all of the new places and experienced almost all the story this is how I'd rank each gen.

1. Gen II - Hands down the best gen. It's a bummer that some of the changes haven't really been as incorporated to other games (the day/night cycle is the obvious though most have it, and Galar does have it in their Wild Area). And it still makes me want to visit a past region in every game after this. Though I know the reasons for that are largely that Johto is really small (the smallest of all the regions) so they were able to pack Kanto into the cart.

2. Gen VIII - QOL changes puts this way higher than I initially anticipated. They also added a lot of things I'd been looking for. I was totally fine with the limited National Dex if they put more work into making the Pokemon individually more personable and with the Pokemon camp that finally feels achieved. I literally sometimes just spend like 5-10minutes watching my Pokemon interact with each other in camp. Also the lack of random encounters makes things like water and caves feel less like a slog. It feels like the games really respect your time and because of that it gets rewarded highly. Maybe in like a year this will drop but I feel like unlike a lot of the games where I kind of just stop after the postgame because I'm not interested in the meta like breeding to get the best Pokemon and the competitive scene, I can see myself returning just to do things like explore the wild area and take part in raids for the Gigantamax forms.

3. Gen V - best story in the games

4. Gen IV - Partly up this high because of the HG/SS remakes. But genuinely a fun region full of fun lore. I'd like to play a remake of these games a lot. This Gen is tied with VII essentially. Either of these could have been ranked at 4. Also this Gen made the really good change to physical/special moves that really made so many more of the great Pokemon from Gen II viable and added new evolutions for some of my faves.

4. Gen VII - if I were ranking on new Pokemon alone this would probably be the #2 generation

6. Gen VI - Felt like a lot of good ideas that were executed only about 80% of the way because of the jump from largely 2D to largely 3D, though its cities are the best in the series.

Emerald - is so much better than Ruby/Sapphire that it gets its own ranking

7. Gen I - though FireRed/LeafGreen would rank higher, I'm going on Original Gen games here

8. Gen III - without Emerald, Gen III sucks. Hoenn sucks. The game balance sucks. The last like 1/3 of the game story sucks. The new Pokemon introduced are IMO not good. FireRed/LeafGreen leave this generation salvageable.

Good Rankings. I am loving Gen 8. I really appreciate the majority of the new pokemon, much more so then any other gen. The wild area is a great idea and the story is well done. I have 1 gym left to go on my play through.

You should let me know what your Hall of Fame line up was, or is when you become the champion.

Good Rankings. I am loving Gen 8. I really appreciate the majority of the new pokemon, much more so then any other gen. The wild area is a great idea and the story is well done. I have 1 gym left to go on my play through.

You should let me know what your Hall of Fame line up was, or is when you become the champion.

My line up I'm bringing in for the final battle:

Hatterene

Polteageist

Dragapult

Toxtricity

Grapploct

Rillaboom

Ranking all the remakes and sequels/third games:

1. Black 2/White 2 - Black/White are good but I think Black2/White2 is what pushed up Gen V for me in the games.

2. HG/SS - Taking the best gen (Gen II) and adding things back like the Physical/Special redistribution is good. Also things like letting Pokemon walk behind you, the GTS, the PokeWalker. All good things.

3. Crystal - This was the first probably game that let me choose a female protagonist to play as. If I were ranking purely just on feelings this would be my #1 of all Pokemon games for that reason alone. Otherwise it doesn't really add much to the games except the Suicune story which allows you to catch Suicune much easier.

4. FireRed/LeafGreen - Also good. This is the best Gen I remake. I'll say that Let's Go was a little disappointing in the fact that it was based off true Gen I rather than this.

5. Emerald - So many things that were just awful about Ruby/Sapphire get majorly fixed in this game. The stories combine so you get one full story and that just balances the last third much better. The Battle Frontier may still be the second best PostGame (or best if you don't count going back to Kanto as the PostGame). Also it added back in all the Gen I/II Pokemon that were on the Ruby/Sapphire Carts but not in the game (which is different than like Let's Go or SwSH which just don't have those Pokemon programmed in the first place)

6. Platinum - It wasn't like the necessary addition that like Emerald was. Nor was it groundbreaking like Crystal was. But it wasn't remaking Gen III so it gets ahead of ORAS.

7. ORAS - I was tempted to put ORAS last because they didn't even go and remake Emerald which means they don't have the Battle Frontier and the story is largely still based on which game you chose. Which means that you are stuck with like water Pokemon in OR or electric/grass in AS the last third of the game. It keeps a lot of the really great things from XY though (like Mega Evolutions) but yeah. Should have just made whatever they called Emerald and not do this.

8. USUM - If you have Sun and Moon you do not need these games.

9. Let's Go - I like these games for what they were. And with this they finally got rid of wild encounters. And I understand why they made these games. But I would have rather had visited a new region. I think these are fun games but where I feel the complaints about SwSh are largely way overblown (though valid) I feel like the complaints about these games are fair. No abilities or held items (IIRC), just the OG 151 + 2 feels too small (Galar's 400 feels about right. Achievable to get all 400 but still A TON), I like the strategy of battling wild Pokemon, etc. However, the small Pokedex letting you do things like ride around on the Pokemon is fantastic and getting to pet Eevee and Pikachu and put them in costumes was great.

Next up ranking all the spin-offs I've played which I think is almost all of them except for like Pokken? And some of the Wii games like Pokemon Ranch.

My line up I'm bringing in for the final battle:

Hatterene

Polteageist

Dragapult

Toxtricity

Grapploct

Rillaboom

Ranking all the remakes and sequels/third games:

1. Black 2/White 2 - Black/White are good but I think Black2/White2 is what pushed up Gen V for me in the games.

2. HG/SS - Taking the best gen (Gen II) and adding things back like the Physical/Special redistribution is good. Also things like letting Pokemon walk behind you, the GTS, the PokeWalker. All good things.

3. Crystal - This was the first probably game that let me choose a female protagonist to play as. If I were ranking purely just on feelings this would be my #1 of all Pokemon games for that reason alone. Otherwise it doesn't really add much to the games except the Suicune story which allows you to catch Suicune much easier.

4. FireRed/LeafGreen - Also good. This is the best Gen I remake. I'll say that Let's Go was a little disappointing in the fact that it was based off true Gen I rather than this.

5. Emerald - So many things that were just awful about Ruby/Sapphire get majorly fixed in this game. The stories combine so you get one full story and that just balances the last third much better. The Battle Frontier may still be the second best PostGame (or best if you don't count going back to Kanto as the PostGame). Also it added back in all the Gen I/II Pokemon that were on the Ruby/Sapphire Carts but not in the game (which is different than like Let's Go or SwSH which just don't have those Pokemon programmed in the first place)

6. Platinum - It wasn't like the necessary addition that like Emerald was. Nor was it groundbreaking like Crystal was. But it wasn't remaking Gen III so it gets ahead of ORAS.

7. ORAS - I was tempted to put ORAS last because they didn't even go and remake Emerald which means they don't have the Battle Frontier and the story is largely still based on which game you chose. Which means that you are stuck with like water Pokemon in OR or electric/grass in AS the last third of the game. It keeps a lot of the really great things from XY though (like Mega Evolutions) but yeah. Should have just made whatever they called Emerald and not do this.

8. USUM - If you have Sun and Moon you do not need these games.

9. Let's Go - I like these games for what they were. And with this they finally got rid of wild encounters. And I understand why they made these games. But I would have rather had visited a new region. I think these are fun games but where I feel the complaints about SwSh are largely way overblown (though valid) I feel like the complaints about these games are fair. No abilities or held items (IIRC), just the OG 151 + 2 feels too small (Galar's 400 feels about right. Achievable to get all 400 but still A TON), I like the strategy of battling wild Pokemon, etc. However, the small Pokedex letting you do things like ride around on the Pokemon is fantastic and getting to pet Eevee and Pikachu and put them in costumes was great.

Next up ranking all the spin-offs I've played which I think is almost all of them except for like Pokken? And some of the Wii games like Pokemon Ranch.

Nice looking line up. I found Hattrem pretty useless until it evolved into Hatterene. Then it solo'd the 7th gym for me.

My team is shaping up to be:

Hatterene

Cinderace

Drednaw (might replace, theres a couple of good looking Water types)

Corviknight (he is been an all-star on my team thus far)

Dreepy (waiting for it to evolve)

Toxtricity

This sucks, either I lose Decidueye, or Espeon. Espeon is a Top 10 for me. Losing Squirtle might be a bigger lose. But it competes with Piplup (who will be our winner)... Then again Incineroar needs to peace out.

Decidueye, Haunter, Squirtle - James, Sola

Espeon, Incineroar, Snubbull - Megan

I am totally going to regret that vote. :haha:

Lord help Steven if this ties and both Espeon and Decidueye go. :ninja:

:)

Sorry, if I didn't feel so bad about Bulbasaur leaving last round, I would be voting for Espeon to stay. >_<

Edited by Solaris

Espeon, Incineroar and Snubbull have been cut. Steven is now free to post the write-ups (!)

Espeon, Incineroar and Snubbull have been cut. Steven is now free to post the write-ups (!)

Why would you allow this?

not my fault :*

:woodstock:

you could have tied the vote.

it crossed my mind, but if it was like last round, then I risk losing 2 pokemon I love.

it crossed my mind, but if it was like last round, then I risk losing 2 pokemon I love.

you were the one that put up gardevoir and piplup. you won the battle. you could have changed your choices to ensure that people voted the other way.

you were the one that put up gardevoir and piplup. you won the battle. you could have changed your choices to ensure that people voted the other way.

idk who anyone favors anymore. The only one I knew loved Gardevoir was Steven. *shrug*

idk who anyone favors anymore. The only one I knew loved Gardevoir was Steven. *shrug*

then PM people! put in work! ask if people would vote for it!

or just pay attention to the comments in this rankdown. if i wanted a guaranteed exit i'd never put up gardevoir!

then PM people! put in work! ask if people would vote for it!

or just pay attention to the comments in this rankdown. if i wanted a guaranteed exit i'd never put up gardevoir!

I decided against doing that, since Dee made a pointed comment about no one wanting to work with me. So I was sort of checked out.

I was going to tie it but I knew Nico would just come and vote the other way.

I was actually hoping for a tie :dead: :dead: :dead:

I decided against doing that, since Dee made a pointed comment about no one wanting to work with me. So I was sort of checked out.

Don't blame Dee for you not trying! Also, again, just by the tone of this thread and how popular Gardevoir (and Piplup) is outside of this thread, you should have been willing to change your noms if you wanted Victoria's noms to succeed!

Don't blame Dee for you not trying! Also, again, just by the tone of this thread and how popular Gardevoir (and Piplup) is outside of this thread, you should have been willing to change your noms if you wanted Victoria's noms to succeed!

I am not blaming Dee. I was just demoralized, so I didn't really feel like communicating regarding the noms. Until Victoria reached out to discussed them I was content in just nominating and whatever happened, happened.