idolforums.com
Deeee

Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

46. Journey (PS3; 2012)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Journey is the most brilliant game ever. There is an indescribable magic about this game that is so impactful. In just three hours, the game not only changes your entire perception of what is capable through video games as an art medium, but carries you on a journey of emotional exploration that shows you just how small one being may feel in a seemingly big world. Journey is a game that forces you to lose yourself for a short period of time, and asks you to take a wordless journey to a distant mountain. On that trek, the robed figure that you navigate through this wondrous desert uncovers secrets buried in the sands and encounters harrowing obstacles from a world left behind. There is not much more I am willing to say about the plot or gameplay, for fear of ruining what can be a truly magical three hours for anybody that decides to play this magnificent piece of art in the future. However, I will say that the most beautiful aspect of the game is the way in which you meet other players embarking on the same journey as yourself, and though you may not be able to communicate with anything more than musical chimes, there is the wonderful sense of community that exists in the game. You are able to help others not heir own journey, and they may help you in return. There is no direct instruction, there is no verbal communication, but there is this silent hope that you both will help each other along, and the reward of the game is learning just who helped you along the way.

The theory behind the development of the game is minimalistic in its approach. Game developers emulated a Japanese garden, in which every part that does not cohesively fit with the others is removed. The typical fight-kill-win mentality was stripped away from this game in order to create a unique experience that instead relies on emotion to drive the gameplay and narrative. Everything about the game feel instinctual, and there are no instructions provided, which makes every decision made in this game personal and human.This is why meeting other journeyers along the way is such a special encounter. There is no forcing you to interact with others, and there is no ability to fight them or compete with them. Journey instead asks you to help your fellow players and find the positive side of humanity. All potential biases are stripped away by removing tasks, usernames, character design, and communication options. 

Then the music. The best video game soundtrack ever composed or orchestrated. Austin Wintory created something so magical. There is a whole extraordinary piece that I could write about this soundtrack. But I suggest you play the game and listen to how meaningful the music is, and see just how linked the music is to your own specific journey. if you don't believe me, the soundtrack was actually nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media. The first video game to ever be nominated for this category.

Journey is widely considered one of the greatest games ever made. The game is breathtaking, dynamic, and emotional. It's truly a magical experience that even an infinite amount of words could do no justice. Play this game. Thank you for bringing it to the finals Nico.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, NGM said:

I wish my write up could just be “This game is beyond stunning in every sense. Please give it a try”. But that would be a disservice to how immersive and detailed Journey is. You control a non-descript robbed figure (as non-descript as anything in this game manages to be lol they made a desert that makes you want to lose yourself in one for real) and start your way to a distant mountain. The game is completely void of dialogue, instead playing up how rich and sublime its score is. And that’s personally what made Journey such an experience for me. The music reacts to your actions, building and ebbing depending on your actions. And the simplicity of its story (well, it’s not really simple, it’s just told in such a matter-of-fact manner through images) complements and allows the gameplay and music to shine even more brightly. And the final element that made the game so brilliant: the ability to come across other players. You still can’t communicate in a traditional sense (there are some wordless singing you can use), but you can help and support each other, and the usernames of the players that went with you on this adventure are shown during the credits. I can’t even begin to comprehend how you can come up with such a simple yet effective idea, more of this in any game.

I will leave the score of the game here, and really, if you have 3 hours to spare, give it a chance, you won’t regret it.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, totes4totes said:

giphy.gif

It's not surprising that Nico a fan of this game considering how highly he rates both Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Aside from the fact that he has mostly good taste. They are all moody games with minimal dialogue and an emotional story. LOL. But anyway, first released on the PS3 in 2012 (then on the PS4 in 2015), Journey is an indie adventure game developed by Thatgamecompany. In Journey you play as a wanderer who is headed towards a mountain. During the game you can encounter other players but you cannot speak to them, the only form of communication you have is a musical chime. And that meeting will help activate the scarves the characters wear. They can help you finish levels and if you finish a level with another character you will move on with them. The game was designed to make you feel small and give you a sense of wonder. And interacting with the players without speaking to them helps you create a connection to players as you traverse through levels. The entire game can be beaten in less than 3 hours. So it's a game to play if you have an afternoon to yourself. 

Journey was highly acclaimed when it came out being nominated for several awards and even rates as one of the best PS3 games of all time. It's music was especially recognized as being incredible and so here's the soundtrack. 

Like I said, Journey is designed to be a game you can play in 2-3 hours. If you have a PS3 or PS4 I'd give it a shot. It's a really great game and doesn't involve a lot of investment time or money wise to play.

45. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (multi-platform; 2015)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is easily one of the best action-adventure titles ever. The game is considered one of the best of all-time and I can definitely see why so many feel that way about the third entry in this famous series. By no means is The Witcher 3 a revolutionary game. The Witcher 3 is not incredibly unique in its gameplay, nor is the game redefining the action-adventure genre. But what The Witcher 3 does, it does perfectly. The game is immersive, ambitious, and grand on a scale that most action-adventure games simply are not, which is why this title is so universally loved by most. The attention to and amount of detail is almost overwhelming, but this also allows The Witcher 3 to feel like a massive opportunity for exploration, quests, and excitement. Every inch of the massive world is used so effectively, the game really can be endless if you want it to be. The game fully envelopes you in the fantasy world of the Continent as you embody the always badass Gerald of Rivia. Everything about this game and the game world is dripping in authenticity, which is hard to say for most action-adventure games. 

The Witcher 3 is also a notch above most action-adventure games for giving the players a ton of influence over the course of the game. The consequential actions gameplay is a major source of praise from critics and players both, involving the players in the narrative and giving them the power to control the state of the world via actions taken in the main quests and side quests. Gerald is a far more fleshed out character in this game, which is another reason why this title is so successful. Voice acting is solid. Awesome combat system that is far more accessible than previous entries in the series. The action is very fluid in this game, which is great. I will say that the combat is not always super innovative or polished, but the game is always fun. 

My complaints of the game: women are hyper sexualized, loading time is too long because of the stunning visuals/graphics, really lengthy. But those issues are pretty small in the grand scheme of things. The game is massively, massively successful both commercially and critically. Hell, the success of this game spawned a Netflix Original Series. The amount of awards received by this game is huge. 

Just a super well-designed game in every aspect. Like I said, not revolutionary. But just so well-done and truly ambitious. A solid entry for the finals.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:09 PM, totes4totes said:

giphy.gif

I'll admit that I have not finished Witcher 3. That's mostly because it's a very long game and I took a long break because I very stupidly could not figure out how to climb a ladder, felt dumb, then I turned off the game and played all of Dragon Age: Inquisition, Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Tomb Raider, and Fallout 4 in the meantime. Among other games. Only when it came out on Switch did I jump back into this game (on my XBox) and honestly, I should probably get it on Switch because my TV can't appreciate the stunning visuals anyway (I am a grad student, my TV is like 12 years old, 4K didn't even exist then). 

giphy.gif

However, what I have played has impressed me quite a bit. The game was developed by CD Projekt Red and released for consoles/PC in 2015. It's the sequel to the first two Witcher games, though you really don't have to play either of those games to appreciate and understand the story of this one. Trust me. I didn't play either of Witcher or Witcher 2. You play as Geralt, a witcher, on a quest to look for his adopted daughter who is on the run from the Wild Hunt. You fight enemies with magic and weapons. 

giphy.gif

I'm not going to explain too much of the plot because I am still working my way through the game and I don't want to spoil myself, but you can tell a lot of work went into developing the story and characters in this game. While it is a staple of a lot of Western RPGs these days to have multiple endings, according to Wikipedia, Witcher 3 has 36 endings all determined by the choices you make in game. That's actually really cool I feel because it gives the game a lot of replayability (though I will probably never replay it because again it's long and I don't have as much time as I used to!) and it also shows a lot of thought on how your choices impact all the major characters in the game.

giphy.gif

The game is not only praised for its story and characters but also its stunning visuals. While it was released in 2015, it is still one of the most impressive looking games of this console generation. While I think you don't need the visuals to fully appreciate the game (again, my TV doesn't even know what 4K is), if that's your thing then you will probably like it.

I will say that CD Projekt Red is known for putting its employees through a lot of crunch (like most major game studios) and you know maybe if this game had come out a year later, employees wouldn't have hated their lives the last 9 months of development. IDK. It's absurd there's no video game employee union. 

On 2/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, NGM said:

This game kinda stands in the opposite corner of most of the write ups I have had to do for the round. It’s a type of story that has been done a lot in the 2010s: a warrior-like protagonist is on a quest to recover something or someone in a sorta Tolkien-esque world (medieval times, humanoid races, you get the point). And yet, for as expected as it sounds, they do almost everything right in Witcher 3. The world is completely immersive, the core story is simple and effective, the characters don’t feel like cardboards, and the gameplay is really good. Games like this make it easy to understand why the genre is so popular.

Just now, FrogLenzen said:

WIND WAKER IS BEST

Wow where have you been this whole rankdown Derek?

Just now, Deeee said:

Wow where have you been this whole rankdown Derek?

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

But really I only have ever played Nintendo games. Of the ones left, everyone should rank all Zelda, DKC2, and Banjo Kazooie at the top plz thanks

Just now, FrogLenzen said:

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

But really I only have ever played Nintendo games. Of the ones left, everyone should rank all Zelda, DKC2, and Banjo Kazooie at the top plz thanks

Wow. Everybody should listen to Derek and rank Banjo-Kazooie near the top. THANKS.

44. Kingdom Hearts (PS2; 2002)

giphy.gif

tumblr_n3znnatByj1qbc2ylo1_500.gif

tumblr_ndega6Xfui1ru5tboo1_500.gifv

Kingdom Hearts is without a doubt a legendary game. The love child of Final Fantasy, Walt Disney, and Square, Kingdom Hearts is not your typical JRPG. This game is full of a ton of charm + narrative + action + hack-and-slash. There is something so strange about the idea of a Disney-infused JRPG on paper, but the idea just works. The hodge-podge team of Sora, Donald Duck, and Goofy is iconic to say the least. And to think that all of this came to be after a chance meeting between two Square and Disney executives in an elevator - both companies housed within the same building in Japan.

There is so much to love about this game. The dreamlike cast of characters including Maleficent, Dumbo, Tinker Bell, Mickey Mouse, Simba, Hercules, Aladdin, Peter Pan, Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, Jack Skellington, Sora, Donald Duck, and Goofy. Super awesome Disney worlds to progress through, traveling via the awesome Gummi Ship. Incredible music - "Simple and Clean" is iconic.

And the narrative. The narrative is so, so, so convoluted. So convoluted. As hard as I try to understand the plot, which changes with subsequent releases and updated re-releases, I can never come to a solid understanding of everything that has transpired. LOL. That is what holds me back from absolutely loving these games. 

The convoluted plot did not hold the game back from achieving critical acclaim upon its release. Critics and players praised the visuals, orchestral score, voice acting, and hybrid fusion of action-adventure + JRPG genres. The game received awards for Best Art Direction, Best CG Graphics, and Best Animation. The game really is beautiful in every single way. The fusion of Final Fantasy and Disney works way better than it really should. The cinematic scenes are some of the best in video game history. Boss battles are insanely fun. There are so many great aspects of this game, and there is no surprise that Kingdom Hearts became one of the largest video game series ever + spawned a massive fandom full of media and merchandise. A solid entry to the finals, but the sequel is far better.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:37 PM, ~Tom~ said:

I'm not really sure what my #1 game is but I think this would be it all things considered. For those that don't know: my old username was based on Sora; I started to write a fantasy novel way back in the day that had a main character kinda based on him, Sadora. I didn't think I would post nearly as much as I did, let alone stay here so long. But so it goes. Kingdom Hearts is one of the few games aside from some Final Fantasies and platformers that really made me care about Sora's journey and I loved the RPG/Disney combination. The game starts off at Destiny Islands, where Sora lives as a beach bum who trains with his friends Riku and Kairi until the darkness comes and Sora goes on a journey to find them. Sora meets Donald and Goofy are looking for King Mickey and along the way they seal each keyhole with the Keyblade to protect that world from the Heartless. It provides a good mix of being kid-friendly and appealing to veterans of Square RPGs by appearances from characters like Squall and Cloud. The Disney worlds were also a great throwback to all the Disney movies I watched as a kid and in middle school. I love pretty much all of them, especially Agrabah and Halloween Town. I even love the much-aligned Aquaria. Plus SoRiku is everything. ❤️ 

Below are my favorite tracks from the game, the last one also being the intro.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:47 AM, Steven_ said:

giphy.gif

I'm a fan of a lot of iconic video games from heavyweight franchises, such as Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, and Super Mario Bros. However, after all these years, Kingdom Hearts still remains my favorite video game. I remember when I first saw commercials about this game. I didn't really know much about it, but I thought the Disney aspect looked pretty cool. However, the story of Kingdom Hearts ended up captivating me and became much more than I expected. The story first introduces us to three friends named Sora, Kairi, and Riku. They live together on Destiny Islands, but they plan to leave and explore what else it out there. The night before they were to depart, their island is attacked by Heartless and they get separated. Sora (the character you play as) ends up in Traverse Town lost and goes on a quest to find his friends. Sora also becomes the chosen one to wield the Keyblade, a weapon used to fight against the Heartless. Along the way, he meets Donald Duck and Goofy. These two are also on a quest of their own to find King Mickey, and Sora teams up with them as they travel to different worlds inspired by Disney movies. They also learn about an evil plot led by Maleficent to capture the seven Princesses of Heart to unlock the Keyhole to Kingdom Hearts. It's quite an epic tale, and the storyline is one that keeps you engaged the whole way through (with great voice acting too). In addition, I enjoy the game play too. At times it can be quite challenging, and it's a game I've always enjoyed playing. I even replayed it a few times too. The game never bores me as the different worlds are fun and unique. Kingdom Hearts does a great job of bringing to life these Disney worlds. You swim in Atlantica, you can fly in Neverland, and you're in costume while exploring Halloween Town. As a Disney fan, it's quite cool to battle enemies with various Disney characters by your side that include Ariel, Aladdin, Jack Skellington, Tarzan, Beast, and Peter Pan. And it's just as cool battling these Disney villains, too. Overall, Kingdom Hearts does a great job of creating an original and epic story while combining the familiarity of these Disney characters. Although the sequel improves on the game mechanics, this is the start of the Kingdom Hearts series. This is where it all began, so it's why I have a soft spot for it. With the combination of exciting game play, a fascinating story, and Disney nostalgia, Kingdom Hearts still remains my #1 favorite video game of all time.

43. Persona 5 (multi-platform; 2016)

giphy.gif

1sGYJVl.gif

persona-5-gif-9.gif

Atlus created an essentially perfect game with Persona 5. While I personally prefer Persona 4, Persona 5 is arguably just as amazing if not better. Certainly is the more popular of the two, and I never expected Persona 5 to reach the heights in popularity that it has achieved. Persona 5 is widely considered one of the best JRPGs ever created and has now established itself as one of the greatest games ever made. Three million copies sold, manga series, stage play adaptations, anime adaptation, two spin-off games, guest appearances in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate + countless other video games, and an upcoming enhanced re-release. All within the span of three years. Pretty impressive. 

Most of what I said in my write-up for Persona 4 could be applied to Persona 5. The games are equally incredible. True masterpieces of insanely awesome graphical style and art direction. A deep narrative that explores dark themes on quite interesting levels. One of the best musical soundtracks to ever support a video game. Unique gameplay and storytelling. Persona 5 is as close to a perfect game as one could hope to play. 

On 2/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, NGM said:

I thought this game had a shot at making Top 32 lmao. Oh well, I will have to settle for the rest of my Top 10 doing decent ig. Persona 5 (and 4) deserved so much better tho. I have only really put in hours on those (I have also played 3, but not as much), but they are really worth the time. First of all, visuals. This has STYLE. I guess I really have a type when it comes to games bc I’m a sucker for anything that just embraces itself, games like Persona have an identity and use it to transmit everything (graphics, sound, gameplay, characters). And a Japanese setting? Count me in. Just love the game.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:39 AM, totes4totes said:

giphy.gif

With renewed vigor and being down to my final write-up, I'm ready to give my all to Persona 5. Since I did 17 write-ups here, I better not do any write-ups in the Top 32 round. Honestly, I'm just going to tank everybody else's favorites so I won't have to. :haha: But now that I've said that, I'm definitely going to lose and go 0 for 16.

tenor.gif?itemid=7636341 

giphy.gif

But back to Persona, I've included this gif of the menu to show how incredibly stylish this game is. It's a game where all the aesthetics were looked at from the title sequence to the menu screens and it's all just so incredibly cool. It's a game that looks as cool as the game plays (or maybe plays as cool as the game looks) and I regret that it took me so long to play it because it's incredibly good and one of my favorite games to play last year (I wasn't convinced that I should play it until I saw the Joker in Smash trailer and that was truly the best trailer for Persona 5). If this game came to Switch, I would play it again. I am finally going to buy a PS4 so I can play the P5Royal version (among other games...and not until after I defend). I'm going to get P5 Scramble when it comes to the West. It was just an incredibly fun game. 

persona-5-all-out-attack-gif-9.gif

Persona 5 tells the story of Joker, a student wrongfully accused of a crime, and several of his friends and classmates who work to turn the hearts of no-good adults. They do this by sneaking into palaces in the meta-verse and stealing the treasure of the palace's ruler. In the meta-verse you fight with Personas (or guns or knives or brass knuckles or your melee weapon of choice) against enemies. As Joker you have the option to capture new Personas to make yourself more powerful. Your friends are stuck with their one cool Persona who scales up appropriately. It's kind of like Pokemon, if Pokemon had monsters themed after all sorts of different religions and also sometimes were very phallic. The SMT games tend to be called Pokemon for adults (despite preceding Pokemon) and yeah, that's kind of true. 

DemandingWebbedBird-size_restricted.gif

Here's an example of how to recruit a Persona to your team. You "Hold up" the enemy and you get the option to try and recruit it, ask it for money, or ask it for an item. If you choose to recruit a monster then you have to pass a brief series of questions to get it to favor you. If you fail you might go back to fighting. If the monster is over your level it just laughs at your confidence and hands you an item and leaves. 

SoggyOddballGenet-max-1mb.gif

Persona isn't just a game about exploring the meta-verse and fighting enemies, it's also about hanging out with your pals and building social skills to form higher and higher social links. These links are beneficial in the Metaverse as they can do things like have a comrade take a fatal blow for you, follow-up an attack with a critical hit, make you coffee, do your laundry, give you better negotiation skills, etc. It's also just fun to get to know the characters. And of course you can romance any of the female options. Which can lead to inappropriate relationships with your teacher, your doctor, or your friendly alcoholic reporter. Or you can just not romance at all because Yusuke is the best option and you can't even romance him! Homophobic!

giphy.gif

Any of the Persona games are great options to play and aside from the first which was really just feeling itself out, but Persona 5 is probably the easiest to jump into in 2020. It's the newest and could be the newest for a long time (there was a significant gap between P4 and P5, nearly an entire console generation went by!). And if that were the case I wouldn't mind. There are plenty of spin-offs (Persona Q and Q2 for the 3DS, the dancing games, and the upcoming Persona 5 Scramble) and the enhanced version which has not yet made its way over here to the west (P5Royal) and it feels like the next Persona probably won't come until well into the PS5's lifetime. Maybe SMT5 will be released first! We can hope!

What game will come first:

Shin Megami Tensei V

Persona 6

The real answer is probably Etrian Odyssey Switch. Lol.

And the dream answer is Trauma Center Switch Collection

42. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (multi-platform; 2003)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

KotOR is the best Star Wars video game ever. KotOR is also the best Star Wars media outside of the OG trilogy + The Force Awakens & The Last Jedi. That is how good this game is, seriously. The sequel is equal parts incredible. I am glad that this game made the finals so that Western turn-based RPGs have some sort of representation. LOL.

The story proceeds the creation of the Galactic Empire by 4000 years, when an evil Sith Lord, Darth Malak, has unleashed a Sith armada against the Republic. The player assumes the role of a Jedi, venturing to different planets in an attempt to stop Darth Malak. At the beginning of the game, the player chooses between three character classes: Scout, Solider, or Scoundrel. Later in the game, the player will choose from three Jedi subclasses: Guardian, Sentinel, or Consular. Each character gains Feats and Force Powers as characters are leveled up in the game. Combat is turned-base, and time is divided into discrete rounds, and this works in a way to give the illusion of real-time combat on the screen. I actually really think the combat system is neat in this game, and it's very clearly heavily inspired by the rules of Dungeons & Dragons. 

The best aspect of the gameplay though? The alignment system. Based on the actions and speech of your character, nearly entirely decided by you, the player, your character will either lean towards the light or dark side of The Force. These decisions can be minor altruistic acts or even major violent plot decisions, so the player really has power over their own fate within the game. 

The game received widespread critical acclaim upon its release. The game received a ton of prestigious awards and appeared at the very top of most end of the year lists. The game is widely regarded as one of the most influential works to be found in the Star Wars franchise. And of course, the huge plot twist is lauded as maybe the best plot twist in video gaming history. I would agree. Fantastic game all-around.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, NGM said:

KotOR ❤️ Probably the best thing out there to get you through the dark times a.k.a. the Pr*quels. The game takes place way, waaaaay before anything related to the Skywalkers (and it’s fantastic because of it). It takes place 4000 years before the movies, where Darth Malak started a war against the Republic by unleashing the Sith armada. You take the role of a Jedi, and customize your character as you see fit to adapt to your play style. While you advance in the game, you earn Light and Dark Side points, and the alignment system determines where you fall on, light or dark side of the Force. It was critically acclaimed upon release, with praise for the characters, story, and sound. To this day still my fave SW game.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:12 PM, totes4totes said:

game_poster_knightsoftheoldrepublic_ecc4

I'm still mad over Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker that I feel like every piece of the old Expanded Universe is received even more highly by me. But I think that KOTOR really deserves all the praise that it gets. Games based on Star Wars have been a bit of hit and miss with highs like Fallen Jedi and lows like well the many mobile Star Wars games. But out of all the games, the Knights of the Old Republic series is probably the best of them all. In terms of Star Wars media, Knights of the Old Republic is probably close to the best of them all as well. And there's a lot of Star Wars media. 

So what makes this game so great? Well, I think it all starts with its developer. While it feels BioWare of today is being a bit throttled by EA (well maybe more than a bit throttled if Anthem is anything to go by) in the mid-2000s when KOTOR came out, BioWare was probably THE studio for character driven Western RPGs with games like Baldur's Gate under their belt. They knew how to make a game with a universe that you wanted to explore, characters that you wanted to get to know and felt like they grew as the story continued, and games where it felt like your choices really mattered. All of this makes for a good RPG and it made for an excellent Star Wars game. 

As its title implies, KOTOR takes place thousands of years before the OG Star Wars trilogy begins. And as such it gets to flesh out the universe in ways that don't feel tied down to the Galactic Empire, the Skywalkers, or any of the events of the movies or the already very well-established Expanded Universe. Though the story still boils down to the conflict between the Jedi and the Sith. And because your choices matter in developing the story and your character, there is definitely a lot of replayability to this game. Which honestly, if you are a kid/teen with not a lot of money but a lot of time is key to a game. Or at least it was key to me when it came out. :haha:

KOTOR is one of the best games of all time and if you missed it on the XBox, there are fortunately many ways to still play this game including iOS and Android. If you like Star Wars, you'll probably love this. If you love other BioWare RPGs like Mass Effect and Dragon Age you will probably like this. It's a universally beloved game for a reason and fairly cheap to play today.