Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

Deeee

Rankings sent, not sure of my other two write ups but I think they are Pokemon Snap and Persona 5; if someone else who's played them wants to do write ups for them be my guest otherwise cobbled Wiki entries will be handed in at the last second lol.

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

What games do I have to rank?

Goldeneye 007 (N64; 1997)
Age of Empires (PC; 1997)
Banjo-Kazooie (N64; 1998)
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U; 2014)
Crash Bandicoot (PS1; 1996)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64; 1997)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest (SNES; 1995)
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2; 2005)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64; 1998)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (multi-platform; 2006)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (multi-platform; 2017)
Mario Kart 64 (N64; 1996)
Mass Effect 2 (multi-platform; 2010)
Mortal Kombat (multi-platform; 2011)
Mother 3 (GBA; 2006)
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade; 1982)
Pokémon Red/Blue (GB; 1996)
Pokémon Gold/Silver (GB; 1999)
Portal (multi-platform; 2007)
Sonic the Hedgehog CD (SCD; 1993)
Spyro the Dragon: Year of the Dragon (PS1; 2000)
Star Fox 64 (N64; 1997)
Street Fighter II (Arcade; 1991)
Super Mario Bros. (NES; 1985)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES; 1988)
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES; 1996)
Super Mario 64 (N64; 1996)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii; 2007)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch; 2017)
Super Smash Bros. (N64; 1999)
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch; 2018)
The Last of Us (PS3; 2013)

64. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (multi-platform; 2019)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Like every FromSoftware game, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an infuriatingly difficult title that requires an immense combination of patience and time. However, just like every other FromSoftware title, Sekiro is an incredibly rewarding experience that offers you an entirely unique gaming experience that immerses the player in an intensely difficult quest for revenge in the beautifully imagined world of 16th Century Sengoku Japan. I will not spoil much of the storyline, just in case anybody picks up this game someday. Just know that there are three possible endings. 

Sekiro is innovative in its gameplay design. While blending a mixture of stealth gameplay and pure action-adventure chaos, the game flips the idea of just spamming attacks until enemies are defeated on its head. Instead, Sekiro really transports the player into the role of a samurai, and utilizes a balance-posture attack system. Enemies are defeated by technique and strategy, overcoming the posture and balance of enemies until capable of delivering a final deathly blow from Wolf's katana. Super frustrating, super difficult, but also masochistically rewarding gameplay. LOL. That is maybe what makes FromSoftware games so appealing to so many, as emotions are sort of poured into every single boss battle, with split-second decisions really impacting your victories or your failures. Every victory is so cathartic, and every failure is so maddening. It admittedly takes a special person to play Sekiro, but there is so much beauty to be found in the game.

The art direction and sprawling worlds found in this game are breathtaking and awe-inspiring. Truly. Sekiro advances and elevates the art direction and graphics to be expected from future FromSoftware titles. I also think the addition of the grappling hook and jumping controls really added a much needed ability to explore the landscape in such a rewarding way, expanding upon the stealth elements and offering secrets in places that one would never think to look. Every previous FromSoftware game feels heavy and truly plants you on the ground, so this decision was an intelligent one. 

The game has been critically acclaimed since its release and was a wonderfully surprising commercial success as well, selling 3.8 million copies within its first five months. Sekiro even managed to snag Video Game of the Year at the VGA for which I was present, which was truly shocking. But I think Sekiro is just respectable in every single way. The difficulty of the game prevented me from ranking it higher than 41st, but I am happy to see this title in the finals. Even if it sneaked its way to the end. Very fitting.

On 2/8/2020 at 2:28 PM, totes4totes said:

giphy.gif

I'm still kind of shocked that this game won Game of the Year at The Game Awards. I think that there wasn't a clear winner (or even a two horse race like last year) so it wouldn't surprise me if the votes were split a lot of ways and Sekiro is just the game that prevailed. I'm actually a little shocked that this game made it to the Top 64 which is why I guess it easily landed at #64. 

Sekiro is FromSoftware's latest game. And if you don't know FromSoftware, they are the developers of the SoulsBourne games and like most of their latest output, Sekiro is a brutally difficult 3D action-adventure game. Unlike the Dark Souls games, there's less emphasis on RPG elements, and like Bloodbourne, there's a heavy emphasis on boss battles. The boss battles are all about breaking down your opponents position rather than whittling down health in order to deliver a killing blow. There's also some stealth elements and exploration elements. But if you are familiar with the SoulsBourne games and were not a fan of those games, you are probably not going to like this game. 

This game got a lot of great reception for being a well-designed, good looking game, with tough challenging gameplay. It's not really my favorite game as I mostly play more chill games, but it's a good game and I'm not mad that it made Top 64 (well I kind of am considering that both Majora's Mask and Super Mario World were cut before this). 

On 2/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, NGM said:

This game made me want to die (in the best way possible). I was really lazy about defending the Dark Souls games, but at least I managed to drag this to the end since no one was really targeting it. Perks of invisibility. Anyway, this is an adventure game that takes in Japan, where you play as a Wolf, a shinobi that’s looking for revenge on a samurai clan. The gameplay is really interesting giving you options like stealth instead of all-out combat (you can still do that tho if that’s your style). Also the no HP but you have to find an opening was maddening at first (ok for a long time), but it’s an incredibly creative concept that doesn’t get enough recognition, and should be attempted by more games (not the balance and posture thing, but looking at combat from a less simple HP and damage output standpoint). It’s also stunning to look at, with Japan serving as an incredible setting. Worth it to check out if you like Japanese settings and hate yourself lol.

63. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii; 2008)

tumblr_m677wawg8D1ry0c5ho2_500.gif

tumblr_m677wawg8D1ry0c5ho1_500.gifv

tumblr_m677wawg8D1ry0c5ho4_500.gifv

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn ranked last for me simply because I have no exposure to the series outside of the very good Three Houses and because Tactical RPGs are simply not my thing. I have done a lot of research on the series in order to get a feel for what games are worth playing sometime in the future (adding them to my incredibly long backlog of games to play). Interestingly enough, Radiant Dawn seems to divide fans of the series. Many rankings place the game in the bottom half, while others place the game in the top half. What is universally agreed on though is that this sequel to Path of Radiance is in almost every way inferior to its predecessor. So I feel good about at least giving Path of Radiance the higher ranking. A basic summary of the plot is that in the war-torn nation of Daein, the main character Micaiah and her allies, The Dawn Brigade, rebel against the Begnion Occupational Army.

Apparently, this is a massive title in terms of game length and story, with the game's story divided in four massive parts, each part being told from the perspective of a different faction within the continent of Tellius. The game is so large that the number of staff that worked on this game is double that of the number of staff that worked on the predecessor. 200 staff members is pretty huge for this series at that time. However, much of the gameplay mechanics did not change, which is why the game did receive some minor criticism. Instead, there are just minor alterations to smaller details, such as elevation advantages, addition of SS weaponry, and changes to the "support system." The game receives further criticism for scaling back the traditional character support conversations. From playing Three Houses, I can say that these conversations add to the enjoyment of the game, so many critics felt like this game was boiled down to just "battlefield chatter." Apparently, this is the hardest game in the series, which also drew the game much criticism and is described as overwhelming and inaccessible. 

My main trigger was hearing that the game did not utilize the Wii motion controls whatsoever. WHY NOT? Apparently, the game could have been released for the GameCube, but producers realized the console was phasing out and decided to release it for the Wii instead. That is a bummer. Because of this, the graphics and visual style of the game are not really improved upon in this sequel. On a positive note, the game length, gameplay, story, and music were all given praise. That's good. The game is well-received overall, but clearly divides the fandom a bit more than other titles in the series. Good job bringing this to the end Sola.

On 1/29/2020 at 1:04 PM, Solaris said:

One game I wanted to shine a spotlight on in this rankdown was Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.  I find it one of the most difficult fire emblem games, but it also has my favorite Story (until Three houses came out).  Its also the game that my character in the rankdown came from.  The story starts with Micaiah (new to the series), and Sothis (returning from Path of Radiance) on the run in Daein.  The story is split into 4 parts following each of the 3 nations in Tellius after the events of the Mad Kings War.  You get to see Micaiahs character grow in confidence and power, as she deals with the Black Knight and as she leads the Dawn Brigade against the Begnion Senate.  Later you see Queen Elinicias conflict in Crimea, and lastly you return to Ike (and his lover Soren).  I love the story told in the game, and Micaiah has always been a very compelling character for me.  Radiant Dawn was released on the Wii in 2008, and also consists of the Weapon triangle unit promotions (through a high enough level or master seal), elemental affinity and support systems also return.  I love this game and I hope through my efforts I can get at least someone in the rankdown to try it out!

On 1/20/2020 at 12:32 PM, ~Tom~ said:

While I prefer Path of Radiance (obviously), I quite enjoy Radiant Dawn as well and don't mind the hardness. While fighting with the Dawn Brigade is a big pain, Hymn of the Righteous is one of my favorite game themes, as is Battle is Joined. Edward is a weak swordsman and drives me crazy, as does Leonardo, but Micaiah and Sothe are awesome and I tend to love protagonists that are slightly different to the norm, and since Micaiah is a female mage therefore I stan. I love controlling Ike's group too, even though characters like Soren and Callill aren't as amazing as in Path of Radiance. The fight where you control the Dawn Brigade and are fighting Ike's group is also one of my favorites, albeit one of the hardest to win. I also love the overarching story across Tellius (and came to like Pelleas somewhat), so definitely one of my favorites. And obviously the Ike/Soren bromance is everything. 

62. Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA; 2004)

WillingSnoopyBedbug-size_restricted.gif

PleasedBackAngelfish-size_restricted.gif

CheerfulGenerousGibbon-size_restricted.g

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones also earned a low ranking from me simply because I have never played the game whatsoever, and again because Tactical RPGs are not my favorite games to play. The Sacred Stones is the second Western release from this series, but is the eighth title in the series overall. Apparently this game exists in a separate continuity from any other FE game. The story is set on the continent of Magvel, which is divided into five ancient nations, each in possession of a magical stone that is said to be linked to the imprisonment of an ancient demon. The Nation of Grado begins to enter these five nations and destroying the stones, prompting the protagonists, Eirika and Ephraim of the royal family Renais, to travel to the nations and gain allies in the hopes of stopping Grado. 

This title introduces the permadeath mechanic, as well as the support conversation gameplay mechanic. That makes this title a pretty landmark release for this series. The two protagonists offer this game two play-through options, but apparently everybody chooses Eirika. The game is played through an overworld map, with new routes opening up as the story progresses. Turn-based system + character classes that are characteristic of this series are still here, in addition to a Weapons Triangle play system. 

The Sacred Stones is really well-received, as this is the first title in the series to focus on player choice and the impact of our choices on the gameplay. With a branching system, the way in which a player establishes a party will impact success in battle. With the permadeath feature, that means the stakes are high, which is an interesting dynamic in gaming. The Sacred Stones  is also praised for a much more enthralling story than its predecessor and for having compelling storytelling throughout the game. Overall, the game seems to be fondly received throughout the fandom, with minor complaints of a cliché storyline and some pacing issues. Definitely not a game I think should have ended up in the finals, but oh well.

Megan has spoken about this game a fair bit in this thread, I don’t really have much to add.  There are two main paths.  The one basically everyone picks the Eirika path because she is a much more interesting main character and the Ephraim path.  Both characters act as your lord unit.  This game carries over a number of the fire emblem staples including the permadeath feature, character supports and the weapon triangle.  For those who do not know the weapon triangle is a system that’s in place where sword beat lances, lances beat axes and axes beat swords.  The game also has some of their more famous classes returning including Pegasus Knights (Tana best unit).  All in all a great game, good story and a good time.

61. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3; 2008)

tumblr_ny4oyaNFlY1sf3h8qo5_500.gifv

RbCpEf.gif

tumblr_new9zomapa1r7sijxo2_500.gif

Valkyria Chronicles is a tactical RPG developed and published by Sega for the PS3 in 2008. This is the first game in a series that now has four titles total. I have heard of the game and series + seen gameplay, but have never played this game. The plot of the game is loosely based on Europe during the early years of World War II. The story is set in Europa, which is abundant in Ragnite ore (a fictional version of petroleum), causing the neutral nation of Gallia to come under attack from the East European Imperial Alliance. As a player, you take control of Gallia militia fighting against the Imperial Alliance and repelling the invasion.

Valkyria Chronicles utilizes a unique combat system known as BliTZ, Battle of Live Tactical Zones. During a player turn, an overhead map is seen in Command Mode, but you then zoom in to control each individual player in Action Mode. Movement and actions occur in Action Mode, but are limited by an Action Point gauge, which varies based on character type. During Target Mode, the character is allowed to take shots at opponents while all other actions are frozen. Then there are Command Points that can also grant movement? Confusing. Basically, you need to fulfill the various missions which are full of conditions, but most of the time this just means capturing an enemy encampment. When you complete missions, the game story advances and the player earns money and experience to upgrade their characters, classes, weapons, etc. The environment impacts the combat style - ex.: buildings will have stations snipers, tanks destroy walls, etc. This game also utilizes a rock-paper-scissors combat style with regards to weaponry classes.

The design of the game draws heavily on inspiring events that occurred in Europe during World War II, but with a medieval influence as well. Many levels pay direct homage to events that transpired during WWII. The most notable design features though are in the animation styles. The game utilizes the CANVAS engine, producing graphics modeled on watercolor paintings or pencil drawings in motion. The game takes inspiration from Skies of Arcadia and the famous Sakura Wars series, which was stupidly omitted from this Rankdown on my part. Famous video game composer Hitoshi Sakimoto did the music for the game, which does include vocal themes.

The game itself is extremely well-received and even garnered awards, such as Best Original Soundtrack and Best Artistic Graphics from GameSpot, as well as several Best RPG of the Year awards + nominations. The game sold nearly two million copies total, and was ported to PS4, Nintendo Switch, and PC over the years. Furthermore, the game has spawned three manga adaptations and an anime series, which is pretty cool. But the game earned a low ranking from me because never played + tactical RPG.

Valkyria Chronicles is the first entry in a series of 4 games.  It is a tactical RPG similar to fire Emblem but different.  Valkyria Chronicles takes place on the content of Europa during the second Europan War where two nations are clashing.  The story follows Welkin from Bruhl, and his childhood friend Alicia as they enlist in the war.  The game has a number of different styles of units, Welkin issues orders, as the leader of his unit but also is a tank commander (you can get one additional tank throughout the game).  Alicia on the other handle is one of the rifle untis.  Other roles include Lancers, Shock troopers and engineers.  Each has their own strengths and weaknesses against other units.  Controlling the units costs CP (command points), so you cant move everyone on a given turn.  I am a big fan of the sniper class, and will commonly have 1-2 deployed stealing all the kills at any given point.  Great game, everyone should give it a shot! 

60. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC; 2005)

FavoriteBeneficialAmericanshorthair-size

SociableFixedGaur-small.gif

tumblr_nipux32tti1s0fo0zo3_500.gifv

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance seems to be the most beloved entry in the series. However, the arrival and success of Three Houses seems to have ignited more conversation in the fandom about what FE game really is the best. Path of Radiance is the third game in the series to be released in the West and the first of these to be released for a home console. Path of Radiance is the first game in the series to feature 3D graphics, full motion cutscenes, and voice acting. This title was tasked with accomplishing pretty ambitious overhauls and transitions for the series. Judging by the reviews of this game, this title succeeded in taking the series into modern home console gaming. 

The story of this game is set on the continent of Tellius, inhabited by two species: the humanoid Beorc and the shapeshifting Laguz. According to legend, the goddess who made the world created Beorc in her image, and created the Laguz to fill the gap between herself and beasts. The two races have struggled to coexist, leading to racial tensions and conflict on both sides. At the start of this game, Tellius is divided into seven peaceful factions. This peace is maintained in order to protect Lehran's Medallion, the world's incarnation of the recurring Fire Emblem and a piece of bronze that is said to contain a dark deity that engulfed the world in sea just 800 years prior. In order to prevent the deity from being released, war must be prevented in Tellius. Thus, the story of this game begins with the invasion of the Beorc nation of Crimea by the Beorc nation of Daein. The main protagonist, Ike, journeys with his allies to Crimea in order to restore the heir Princess Elincia to the throne, stop the invasion by Daein, and confront the long-standing racial tension between the Beorc and Laguz. 

Permadeath mechanic obviously is still a part of this game. If Ike dies, players must restart that stage. Roster building is a huge component of this game. With 46 possible roster recruits that all contribute to the story and may be played in battle, a lot of tactics and strategy are then invited into the gameplay. Roster recruits include both Beorc and Laguz, with the former using weaponry and magic, and the latter using close-quarter melee attacks. Laguz characters are capable of transforming into their animal form when their gauge is full, allowing them to become very powerful for some turns. Beorc characters have character classes. Experience points are earned based on performance level, and leveling up + upgrading class levels is obviously important in this game as well. In between battles, characters stats and attributes may be managed at a Base. Weapon Triangle returns again. 

The game received great reviews and managed to be one of the best-selling games for the GameCube in 2005. Most reviews state that while not the most perfected game in the series, Path of Radiance does everything particularly well. Memorable + genuinely emotional story, unique combat and gameplay mechanics within the world of JRPGs, and dramatic cutscenes. Most of the criticism is levied against the graphics, which probably suffered due to the transition into 3D gameplay. Apparently the game makers had a tough time with this transition. Anyways. The game seems pretty good, but again earned a low ranking because I have never played it and I am not huge on tactical games. But at least this game gave us Ike, of Super Smash Bros. fame. 

I like Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, but not as much as I liked its sequel.  Path of Radiance was the first Fire Emblem to take place on the continent of Tellius.  It follows Ike’s tory.   Path of Radiance was released on the game cube in 2005.  Like other Fire Emblem games it is a tactical RPG, where characters act as units on a battlefield, and you have different objectives to complete on each map.  In the Tellius series, there isn’t any room for customization, and characters follow a linear class progression.  Characters level, and once they hit 21 they change to Level 1 of their new class.  They can be upgraded early using a master seal.  This is good for characters you acquire later in the game who have fallen behind on stats/aren’t used on your regular roster.  Besides Ike, the game also has Soren, Ikes boyfriend, who I basically like more then Ike.  Why is he not in smash?  Anyway, it’s a fun game and worth playing, if you can get your hands on one of these games.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:43 PM, ~Tom~ said:

I'm surprised that people would think I would rank this first; just because Ike is my character representation in this rankdown does not mean it's my favorite game or even close to it. Anyway, I got acquainted with this game and this series through the first gay guy I ever spoke with online who recommended it. I immediately liked a lot of the characters (including Ike, obviously) as well as the strategic battle element. I've always preferred these to Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance because in battle when your characters die they are actually gone for good, making the stakes/challenge a lot higher. Soren is also one of my favorites because I love the mages and discovering the roots of his hatred for the laguz is fascinating. Not to mention I enjoy shipping him and Ike because Ike doesn't end up with anyone at the end but he and Soren do leave Telleus together if their compatibility is high enough. The story takes place in the continent Tellius, inhabited by the humanoid Beorc and the shapeshifting Laguz. Anyway, the basc story beigns when the Beorc (human) nation of Daein invades fellow Beorc nation Crimea. Ike, amercenary, journeys to restore Crimea's heir Princess Elincia to the throne and to overthrow the mad king Ashnard.

Edited by Deeee

59. Ico (PS2; 2001)

source.gif

source.gif

Ico absolutely deserved a place in the finals, and really deserved a higher ranking than 59th. But small victories I guess! Ico is one of my favorites games ever made and is truly a game unlike any other. A real masterpiece. There is a reason why Ico is considered one of the greatest video games ever made, as well as one of the most influential. Ico is one of the key players in the argument for video gaming to be considered an art form. Because truly, Ico plays and feels like a masterful piece of art. Simple, but yet so effective.

The plot of the game is quite simple. A horned-boy named Ico is locked away in an abandoned fortress by a group of warriors, since his horns are a sign of a bad omen. As Ico begins to explore the fortress, he finds a young girl named Yorda, the daughter of the castle's Queen. The Queen plans to use Yorda's body to expand her own lifespan, so Ico decides to escape the castle with Yorda, all the while keeping her safe from shadowy creatures that are trying to draw her back to the castle. The gameplay consists of solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles as Ico, while ensuring the safety of Yorda. That means Ico is essentially a 3D-platformer at its core, but it is hard to categorize a video game that really is so different from any other gaming experience. 

The game notably features minimal dialogue, a limited amount of music, and a limited amount of sound effects. Director Fumito Ueda opted to use a "subtracting design" when creating the game, reducing the amount of elements involved in the gameplay in order to achieve a game that truly immerses the player in the world and the story. Sticking to this minimalistic design that consists mainly of bloom lighting and key frame animation, Ueda purposely created a game that is on the level of an auteur, since video games were really coming under fire at that time for their simplicity + distance from true art. And every single risk Ueda took paid off in a massive way.

The game was received with massive critical acclaim upon release. With its unique composition and visuals + emotional depth, Ico provided a unique gaming experience unlike any other. The game world is expansive and expressive, yet simply designed. The lighting of the game tells the story in such a magnificent way. All of these are key elements of the game that seem like such afterthoughts in almost every other game ever made. But not in Ico. Every detail matters and evokes such an emotional response from the player, all while perfectly coming together to tell this story of childish fragility found in Ico and Yorda. The puzzle design of the game is equally enthralling, since you have to work through every challenge to ensure the survival of Ico and Yorda. You form a bond with the pair by completing all of these puzzle challenges that really feel high-stakes, even if the answer is right under your nose at all times. Though this game did not elicit a large commercial response, the critical response is overwhelmingly outstanding for a reason. 

Ico won multiple Game of the Year awards across multiple publications, despite being released on the same year as Grand Theft Auto III, Halo, and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. At the Game Developers Choice Awards, the game was rewarded "Excellence in Level Design," "Excellence in Visual Design," and "Game Innovation Spotlight." At the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, Ico was given awards for "Best Art Direction" and "Best Character or Story Development." The cultural impact of the game cannot be understated either. Game designers Eiji Aonuma, Hideo Kojima, and Jordan Mechner cited Ico as major influencers on their respective work on the games The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and  Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The script writer of the Half-Life series cited one pivotal moment from the game alone of the most iconic moments in gaming art design. Ico also inspired Naughty Dog during the creation of Uncharted 3. Papo & Yo and Fez are bth titles that claim major influence from Ico. The legendary Hidetaka Miyazaki stated that Ico is the reason why he became involved in developing video games. The creator of Flower and Journey, Jenova Chen, cited Ico as one of his biggest influences. The Naughty Dog team stated that Ico was a major influence over the entire development of The Last of Us. Hell, even Guillermo del Toro cited Ico The Shadow of the Colossus as major influences on his work, claiming both games to be masterpieces.

That reminds me. Ico is the spiritual predecessor to Shadow of the Colossus, however, the latter is claimed by Ueda to be a prequel to Ico. BOTH GAMES DESERVED TO MAKE THE FINALS. SMH. Anyways. An HD remaster of the game was released as a package deal with SotC in 2011. The game is iconic and deserved better.

I said I wish I was able to have Shadow in this place instead of Ico, and I stand by that. But that’s not to take away to how good Ico is. Since I realize I’m getting long-winded (for my standards) with this write ups, I will keep most to a minimum. Ico was released in 2001-2002, and centers on Ico, a boy with horns, which is considered a bad omen and is locked away in an abandoned fortress bc of that. It also gives a lot of time to Yorda, the Queen’s daughter who is supposed to be used to extend the Queen’s lifespan (mother goals tbh). As most of the games I love, it features minimal dialogue and stunning artwork. Worthwhile for pretty much anyone, it borders on art over gaming.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:31 PM, totes4totes said:

source.gif

It's crazy to think that Fumito Ueda only directed three games, two of which are all time classics and some of the best games ever made and the third, while not quite hitting those same highs, is still a very very good game. He was only 31 and 35 respectively when Ico and Shadow of the Colossus came out. Crazy! The only bad thing I can say about Ico is that its North American cover is straight up one of the worst covers I've seen for a video game, especially in comparison to the Japanese and European covers which is incredibly beautiful. 

GE67.gif

Ueda imagined Ico as a story of a boy meeting a girl and telling that story in a way that hadn't really been told before. Ico is the story of a boy who was born with horns. These horns are seen as a bad omen so he's locked away in a fortress. While exploring the fortress he encounters a young woman named Yorda. He learns Yorda is the daughter of the queen and the queen intends to use Yorda's body to extend her own lifespan. Because of this, Ico works to free Yorda from the fortress, keeping her safe from the creatures that keep her there. The game is a mix of action-adventure and puzzle solving, many of which are platform puzzles. 

HonorableWearyAustralianshelduck-size_re

The reason this game is seen as a classic is because of its artistic design and the way it tells its story. There's not a ton of dialogue or voice acting, but what's there is beautifully done. The art style is incredibly detailed even though the polygon count of the characters is low. And the lighting of the game's lighting and sound are all clearly designed to invoke emotion. This is a game that wants you to have an emotional experience while going through it and I think it successfully achieves that. If it hadn't it wouldn't have endured until today. 

58. Octopath Traveler (Switch; 2018)

giphy.gif

911bcd151294d900dcc5373a128f1a04c6e31573

octopathbattle.gif

Octopath Traveler is a turn-based RPG developed by Square Enix for the Switch initially, though the game eventually made its way to PC. Octopath Traveler sold one million units within a month of its release, which makes this title one of the most successful titles for the Switch console. The game earned a low ranking from me simply because I have never played this title, and I will always have a love-hate relationship with turn-based RPG titles. 

That is not to say this game is bad though. The game has received positive critical reception for an innovative battle system and for the unique art direction. I even must applaud the presentation of the game, which is gorgeous. The graphical design is referred to as HD-2D, which combines retro Super NES style character sprites and textures with polygonal environments and HD effects. Pretty neat.

The game allows players to choose from one of eight different adventurers, each of whom begin the journey in different ways and hail from different places in the world. Based on their origins, each character will have a different job. These characters also have unique Path Ability commands that are used when interacting with the two classes of non-playable characters. The major criticism of this game is that the stories of these eight different characters are boring and repetitive.

However, the game still received many nominations for different awards and clearly proved to be a commercial success. I guess a prequel game is set to release this year on Android and iOS.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:12 AM, totes4totes said:

FRIGATE_Steam_gif.gif?t=1562060567

Octopath Traveler is one of the most beautiful games to be released on Switch. PLZ Square, re-make all your SNES games on this engine. Imagine a Chrono Trigger or a FFVI with these graphics. That would be *chef's kiss*. I think Octopath Traveler is a good game if you are really longing for the very SNES feel that it gives, but I don't think it hits the heights of the games I just mentioned. And it's either going to be a game that you like very much or a game that leaves you disappointed. I can't tell you how you are going to think about it, and you won't really know until you play it, but if you go into it not expecting the great heights of the best Square/Enix SNES games, then I think you will be satisfied.

In Octopath Traveler you start out with one of 8 characters. I chose H'aanit because 1) she's a hunter and I love animals and 2) she's the hottest. Each traveler has their own unique overworld skill (H'aanit can force people into battles with her animals/monsters) and their own unique path. It's possible to beat the game using only one traveler and exploring their stories. However, the game encourages you to gather the other 7 travelers and team up with them. Unfortunately there isn't too much interaction between the party members because of the conceit (though there is a bonus endgame boss which helps tie the stories together). There are a few cut scenes if you have the right party members in your team at time during certain events. Unfortunately the fact that your characters's stories don't really tie together is probably the weakest part of the game. It just feels that in an RPG if you are gathering characters they should feel like a party and that their journeys should intertwine plot-wise.

But other than that the game has a great soundtrack and an in depth combat and job system. It's not that difficult to spend a lot of time with this game and again if it looks like you'd be into it you probably will be. There's a demo on the Switch that allows you to play through the first chapter of any character so you can get a feel for the game (and your progress saves over when you start the actual game).

I love this game.  It was originally released by Square Enix on the Nintendo switch.  Octopath Traveler follows the stories of 8 different characters in the world of Orsterra.  Each character has one main class, and can enhance it by picking up a secondary class from one of the other characters.  Each character also has a special ability that does not transfer to another character.  You can play as H’aanit the Hunter (who has the ability to summon animal allies), Therion the thief (who can steal from npc’s), Olberic the fighter (who can challenge npc’s to solo duels), Tressa the merchant (who can barter with npcs for items), Ophilia the cleric (who can use her good will to have allies assist her in battle), Cyrus the Scholar (master of magic, and interrogator of npcs), Alfyn the apothecary (who can also question npcs), and Primrose the dancer (best one, and can use her feminine wiles to lure npcs to assist her in battle).  Each character has their own story, forcing you to really use everyone as you play through the game.  However my party almost always includes Primrose, Alfyn and Tressa.  The fourth character depends on whoever’s story I am currently working on.  Octopath traveler brings back the old school turn based RPG elements and pairs them with great music and interesting graphics.  A must play.  One of my favorite games on the Nintendo switch (only recently passed by Fire Emblem three houses).

57. Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA; 2002)

dec094c3be140df0137b163fbe7339d2.gif

9b0da6501e8b3d2520da8da1f57f7eac.gif

I never imagined that Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire and Generation III would ever cause so much disagreement and tension on IDF. :dead:

We all know that I am not a huge fan of Generation III or these two titles. I will try to get into why during this write-up. 

To start, the gameplay is way too unchanged from the previous entries, which is a negative if you consider the advanced capabilities of the GBA that were now available to GameFreak + the entire Pokémon team. The lack of new features in these titles are strikingly small - dual battles, innate abilities and natures, Condition Stats, and weather conditions. Dual battles is a cool idea in concept and execution, except Ruby/Sapphire hardly engages the player in dual battles. The production team stated that the focus was still on single battles, and that dual challenges were only introduced for an extra strategic challenge. While they do add an extra strategic challenge to the game in a positive way, they are scarcely used. Innate Abilities and Natures affect the gameplay by adding a tad bit more strategy to the gameplay, but they do not really change the gameplay dynamics in any fresh way. Condition Stats are pointless imo. Weather conditions also very minimally affect the gameplay. These differences do nothing to excite an audience that was already waning in admiration for Pokémon. 

Some other differences found in these titles are the lack of day/night differentiation and the inability to link to games from the previous generations for trading/battle purposes. LOL. I will say no more.

Then we address the issue of graphics, which might be the most hotly debated aspect of these entries. The graphics are only marginally improved tbh. The graphics are practically comparable to the previous titles released for the GameBoy. The same simple animations and character designs. That is pretty bad. 

The reviews of the game are mainly positive overall, but Ruby/Sapphire feels like a miscalculation on the part of the game producers. Instead of revitalizing the gameplay and design a bit to stay competitive, GameFreak offered more of the same? I don't get it. Most reviewers complain about the easiness of the game and how quickly the game is completed. I would agree. obviously the game was a massive commercial success, with these titles being the best-selling games released for the GameBoy Advance. However, seven million less copies were sold when compared to Gold/Silver. Now, I attribute the decline in sales more to a general waning interest + competition from Yu-Gi Oh! Though I am not surprised that the sales declines is associated with the generation that did the least to overhaul the game.

Pokémon Emerald and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are pretty much better versions of this game. So play those instead? 

Oh. Also the worst generation for actual Pokémon, rivaled only by Generation VII and Generation VIII.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:47 AM, Steven_ said:

It's a shame the third generation of Pokémon doesn't seem to be too popular, because it happens to be one of my favorites. I really enjoyed the Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire games (as well as Emerald). The new features were pretty great, which included double battles and Pokémon contests. The environment of the world was updated too with more detail. My favorite new feature was the introduction of secret bases. I remember linking my game with friends and getting to battle them when visiting their secret bases. As well, the new Pokémon introduced in this game include some of my all-time favorites throughout the generations. Overall, I very much enjoyed this game and put several hours into it. So even though Gen 3 isn't popular here on IDF, it still remains one of my favorites after all these years of Pokémon.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:40 AM, .Rei said:

Ruby/Sapphire

pokemon emerald GIFpokemon emerald GIF

It's been quite the ride for Ruby/Sapphire from being continuously nominated by most of the rankers, to being cut, being brought back by the ranker with the most taste and ultimately reaching the finals. What an icon :wub: 

Ruby/Sapphire were the first Pokemon games that I actually fully played cause up until that I hadn't owned a Game Boy/Game Boy Color and have only played bits of Red/Blue and Gold/Silver through my cousin's handhelds, so these games have a lot of sentimental value for me. I admit that they are not the greatest Pokemon ever made (those will always be Gold/Silver) but they are nowhere near bad as everybody else make them to be. 

Ruby/Sapphire take place in the Hoenn region, a region located some distance from the Kanto and Johto region, that possessed many smaller islands and is dominated by sea routes.

Hoenn.jpg

The story follow a child who has moved to a small town called Littleroot Town where he meets Professor Birch, who gives the trainer the chance to pick between one of three of the Hoenn starters: Treecko, Torchic or Mudkip.

pokemon spoilers GIF

After the player picks Treecko, like the previous games, the goals are to defeat the eight Gym Leaders, challenge the Elite Four, become the Champion and complete the Pokedex.  Up until that moment, 386 Pokemon were available to obtain. Aside from the main goals, some other subplots involved Team Aqua and Team Magma, criminals that want to alter the climate of Hoenn by using legendary Pokemon Groundon and Kyogre.

omega ruby pokemon GIFomega ruby pokemon GIF

I know that many people did not like the grapphics and region design of the game but I absolutely loved it and here's why. 

First, the towns

Dewford_Town_RS.pngvideo games pokemon GIFVerdanturf_Town_RS.pngFallarbor_Town_RS.pngLavaridge_Town_RS.png400px-Sootopolis_City_RS.png

I love the experience on going through towns and cities where each had their own distinct feeling and personality. And I know with the later games graphics would get better and better, but as my first full pokemon experience, it was a really great experience for me. 

Second, all the water and diving

Dive_III_OW.png

I know most people didn't like all the water and diving they had to do during the game but I for once loved it. There were so many places to discover and sometimes it feel very open world-ish even if it really wasn't. 

Third: The Regis

Island_Cave_interior_RSE.pngDesert_Ruins_interior_RSE.pngAncient_Tomb_interior_E.png

Let me be clear I'm not a fan of the Regis but I loved the way how to get the Regis with doing different stuff in each of the caves to unlock the chambers. 

Finally, The Pokemon

Again I'm in the minority but I love the Generation 3 Pokemon and so many top favorites come from this region that I will always love this game for giving us so many great Pokemon.

BT254.png128px-Shuffle257.pngBT262.pngBT282.pngBT289.pngBT291.pngBT303.pngBT306.pngBT330.pngBT335.pngBT348.pngBT350.pngBT357.pngBT359.pngBT362.pngBT373.pngBT376.png128px-Shuffle384.png

There are many more stuff that I love that were introduced during the game like Double Battles, Weather, Pokemon Contest and Abilities. 

To end this write-up, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire will always have a special place in my heart and I'm super glad that I was able to carry it this far despite all the haters.

video games pokemon GIF

😘

56. Chrono Cross (PS1; 1999)

giphy.gif

source.gif

Chrono Cross is not Chrono Trigger. In fact, the sequel is so far separated from what is incredible about the first game that I had no choice but to rank it as low as I did. Is the game bad? No. But yes at the same time. Here are two articles that explain my feelings about the game in a much more cohesive fashion than I probably will:

https://kotaku.com/chrono-cross-was-a-bad-sequel-but-a-brilliant-game-1785831430

https://venturebeat.com/community/2012/01/25/chrono-cross-a-mess-of-unimpressive-gameplay-laughably-bad-storytelling/

Not only is Chrono Cross a horrible sequel + a convoluted mess of a story that is worse than that of Kingdom Hearts' + messy gameplay that was great for the time, but not-so-great in hindsight. Most people have retrospectively critiqued the game, which is a good thing. As the game is really not what it should have been, despite being a good game at the time. Video games are art, and art is subject to constant revision and critique. 

The one positive I will give this game is the incredible music. The soundtrack really is top notch, but that is to be expected when Tomohiko Kira, Noriko Mitose, and Yasunori Mitsuda contributed to the game's music. 

Chrono Cross is the sequel to Chrono Trigger. It’s a good game, I don’t love it. I mostly ranked it high for another ranker. The game is unique in that it has endless amounts of characters you can play in your party. There’s so many different combinations. I also don’t know many of the characters as a result as I mostly just stuck with who I liked. Each character is outfitted with a different elemental affinity much like fire emblem. You can get all the characters through the new game + feature. The game follows Serge a teenager who wakes up in an alternate dimension, and he learns of the two dimensions. The difference is in one of them, he drowns a decade earlier. Anyway Chrono Cross a single player RPG,  released on the play station in 2000. It has sold over 1.5 million copies, and is one of PlayStation greatest hits.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:28 PM, ~Tom~ said:

Time to discuss the second RPG I ever played and one of my very favorites, Chrono Cross. I see that Dee hates it, so no wonder it got eliminated in the first round of this. #shocker At least it made it there. Chrono Cross is the sequel to Chrono Trigger and follows Serge, the silent protagonist who finds himself in another world after falling asleep on the beach. He eventually meets Kid , a cheerful enigmatic thief who vows vengeance against her archenemy Lynx. The game opens with Dream Dungeon, one of my favorite openings of any game because it's a preview of one of the early climactic battles in the game. From then on, the journey to discover how he got to that world, his connection to the mysterious demi-cat Lynx, and finding the mysterious Frozen Flame become tantamount to the game's story. It was also one of the few games to earn a perfect 10 on GameSpot and rightfully so; the graphics and frame rate were both great for its time, you can see the enemies in the various locations thus eliminating random encounters, the soundtrack is magnificent and the replay value is high. In a certain point of the game you can choose to cure Kid when she's poisoned or not and you get different characters as a result; after beating the game once you can play through it again to go down the path you didn't play on. You can also fight Ozzie, Slash and Flea (:wub:) in the Bend of Time. I'll finish this write up with several songs from the game's magnifi9cent soundtrack:

Edited by Deeee

55. Civilization V (PC; 2010)

EvenBiodegradableGraysquirrel-size_restr

AcceptableOrangeAxisdeer-size_restricted

How did Civilization V make the finals? Honestly. Somebody riddle me this. Civilization V is a 4X (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) video game, which is a type of strategy video game that essentially focuses on the control of an empire, emphasizing economical and technological development, non-military use supremacy, and a ton of micromanagement. A ton of micromanagement. That is the main complaint of most 4X games, as players must micromanage the empire and meet the needs of the increases as this empire grows. Just way too time-consuming. Not a fan whatsoever.

In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a procedurally generated map, attempting to achieve one of a number of different victory conditions through research, exploration, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest. This is the basic premise and principle of this game. The gameplay and mechanics are actually quite detailed and complex, and that would turn this novel into an essay so I will not get too much into those aspects of this game.

Apparently, there are a ton of major changes in gameplay from Civilization IV to Civilization V. This game uses an entirely new game engine and features hexagonal tiles instead of square tiles. Religion and espionage are two key components that were removed in this title, but I guess would be later added back to the game via expansion packs. The combat system was overhauled by removing military stack units and allowing cities to defend themselves by firing directly at nearby enemies. Maps now contain computer-controlled city states and non-playable characters that are available for trade, diplomacy, and conquest. Roads are much less common because they now require maintenance costs. Civilization borders favor more productive tiles and expand only one tile at a time. This all sounds like a foreign language to me LOL. The game starts with 18 different civilizations to choose from and will assume the role of its leader, each leader based on a real-life political leader, such as Napoleon Bonaparte. Some civilizations include Aztecs, India, China, Russia, America, and even Siam. Apparently victory is achieved via filling out five of the ten "trees" and completing the Utopia project. Though world domination is apparently an option.

There has been a significant amount of DLC released for the game, as well as two expansion packs titled Gods & Kings and Brave New World. By the end of all of this DLC, there are 43 available civilizations to choose from. The game received critical acclaim and apparently set the benchmark for 4X games. Much praise was given to the hexagonal tiles. But a lot of criticism was levied against the AI, which has been referred to as AI that is too aggressive, curiously terrible, and unable to even play the game. 

I guess I can respect a far-out game like this making the finals, but not over some seriously legendary titles that were lost in the madness.

Sid Meyers Civilization V is a turn based strategy game where the player picks one of 43 civilizations and plays through planet earth from basically the beginning of the human race to deep into the future.  Every civilization has strengths and that give them an advantage at some point in the game.  How do you win Civilization V?  Well there are a number of ways to obtain victory.  You can kill everyone, known as the domination Victoria.  You can ally with the city states and win through diplomacy at the United Nations.  You can also win by being so far ahead in science or culture that both lead to victories.  A civilization such as Egypt would do well aiming for a Culture victory, where as England excels in Naval and would be strong on water maps.  Japan has strong early game infantry units and Polynesia start off with the ability to traverse water (that other civ’s need to unlock in science).  There’s a civilization for everyone’s playstyle.  I think people should try the game, it’s worth it.  Happy I brought it the finals, we needed turn base strategy games represented.

Quick write up, so don’t @ me. As in most Civilization games, you lead them from prehistoric times into the future, and try to get the win by a variety of methods (research, diplomacy, economic development, exploration, and the like. You can also be a basic ass bitch and go for military conquest bc we need to keep morons happy). It had 2 big expansions packs released (the first one in 2012, Gods & Kings; the second one in 2013, Brave New World). It’s nothing groundbreaking as a game by any stretch of the imagination, but it is fun to give it a go.

54. Pokémon Snap (N64; 1999)

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

Pokémon Snap making the finals is truly puzzling. The only reason why I did not rank the game dead last is because I have actually played this game unlike the others ranked below it. Though this has to be the objectively weakest game in the finals. Do I love Pokémon Snap? Yeah of course, but as a nostalgic goodie from my childhood. There is no way I could bring myself to argue for this game against any of the other finalists in the tournament. Pokémon Snap is a really fun game to play, and it stops there imo.

A rail-shooter and simulation game co-developed by HAL Laboratory and Pax Softnica for the Nintendo 64. The game was originally intended to be released as Jack and the Beanstalk for the Nintendo 64DD, a game focused on taking photographs that had the huge names of Shigeru Miyamoto, Satoru Iwata, and Shigesato Itoi attached. However, as Pokémon became a massive global phenomenon and no progress was made on the initial project, a switch was forced by the production team. The producers decided that players needed something motivating enough to take pictures of, so producers decided on Pokémon as the motivating forces. Due to software delays, the game was released for N64 instead of for the DD hardware, which received an extremely limited release in Japan only. 

The object of the game is very simple: take pictures of Pokémon. LOL. The player assumes the role of Todd Snap, a Pokémon photographer, as he is summoned by Professor Oak to take pictures of Pokémon to accompany his scientific findings. Todd Snap heads to Pokémon Island where many Pokémon live in a variety of geographical locations and climates undisturbed by humans, riding a motorized buggy named Zero-One to explore the island and take pictures of the Pokémon in their natural environments. The buggy takes a linear path throughout the level, and the player is allowed 60 photos per visit on the course. After completing the course, you submit your best photos to Professor Oak who then rates the photos based on Pokémon size, pose, and framing. Extra points are given for capturing special poses or multiple of one species. You must score well in order to advance in the game. As you progress in the game, Professor Oak will give you items to help lure Pokémon into the frame for better pictures. There are seven levels, but you are definitely forced to backtrack through levels as you acquire new items in order to discover hidden stuff and Pokémon.

The game was heavily promoted, which was an easy thing to do considering Pokémon's massive popularity at the time and because this is the first spin-off game in the series. Not to mention the first game to provide 3D renders of many of the Pokémon. Blockbuster heavily promoted the game, and you could even play this game in 86,000 hotels across the country. The game received mainly positive reviews. Many reviewers found the game to be unique, fun, easy to play, peaceful, innovative, and addictive. The game is certainly creative and works way better than it has any right to do, for sure. But the game has a disappointing roster of Pokémon present in the game, and lacks the depth and challenge to truly be a classic gaming experience. The game is energetic and fresh, but really short in length, extremely easy, and too basic a game to really compete among some of the best video games ever made. While the game does a good job of immersing you in the world of Pokémon and feeling pretty realistic, the uniqueness of this title simply is not enough to carry it on this far in the Rankdown. Fun title. Nostalgic goodness. But that is all there is to it.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:47 AM, Steven_ said:

I tried my best to get Pokémon Snap as far into this rankdown as possible, so I'm pleased it managed to make it this far in the game. Pokémon Snap is a game I remember playing a lot on the Nintendo 64 when I was younger. There are many different Pokémon games outside of the main franchise, and Pokémon Snap is my favorite of those kinds of Pokémon games. In this game, you play as a photographer trying to capture the best photos of Pokémon living in their natural habitat. As the game progresses, you can rewarded with items to allow you to go back and revisit areas to get an even better shot of Pokémon or reveal Pokémon that weren't visible before. I always wanted Nintendo to release a sequel to this game, and I'm surprised it never happened. Although it's a simple premise and takes away the battling aspect of Pokémon, I remember enjoying this game a lot and would even replay it now if I could. 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:29 PM, ~Tom~ said:

So apparently I'm doing a write up for this even though I would've much rather done one for Sacred Stones or Metroid; haven't played many Pokemon games. Also isn't this the game that lost in favorite of Kingdom Hearts 2? #Bless for that even though I know Steven loves it too. This is just me trying to get to 100 words so don't slay me too hard. Pokemon Snap is classified as first-person rail shooter and simulation video game. It was first released in Japan in March of 1999 and was released in June 1999 in North America and for PAL regions (Autralia, etc) in September 2000. It is a spin-off game in the Pokémon series and it featured many Pokémon that were rendered for the first time in real-time 3D. It's noted for its use of photography. I'm sure Steven will write a better write up than this so ignore this rambling and skip to his. :haha: