idolforums.com
Deeee

Video Game Rankdown Pt. 2

2 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Pokemon Crystal is the magnum opus of the Pokemon series, but yeah Red/Blue is obviously the most significant.

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF by moodman

Red/Blue flopped so hard it has no write ups except Dee's

15 minutes ago, NGM said:

Red/Blue flopped so hard it has no write ups except Dee's

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

On 3/2/2020 at 10:14 PM, Deeee said:

Host Announcement

Write-Up Assignments:

Sonic the Hedgehog CD: Victoria

Bayonetta 2: Tom 

Goldeneye 007: Tom & Steven

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong’s Quest: Tom

Super Smash Bros.: Steven

Street Fighter II: Victoria & Tom

Star Fox 64: Tom

Pokémon Red/Blue: Steven & Tom

emoji think GIF

is this your version of the writers' strike?? just asking

11 minutes ago, NGM said:

is this your version of the writers' strike?? just asking

Missing write-ups so far; Victoria: 2, Tom: 6. I was also in the hospital for 3 weeks, got discharged, got admitted again and had surgery, but go off.

6 hours ago, Deeee said:

Absolutely. 

Bravely Default II free demo on Switch now! I thought of you immediately.

Smash Character #6 is from Arms. Lackluster. But unique I guess.

I can’t wait to download it! It looks so good!

Not super surprising since that’s like the one Nintendo franchise on the Switch not really represented in Smash. 

19. Diddy Kong Racing (N64; 1997)

tumblr_o0nd7yhDRl1qa6wvao1_400.gifv

tumblr_p16kphaxeI1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

tumblr_o4iccapPgF1qjztgpo1_400.gif

The best racing game of all-time. Fight me. Diddy Kong Racing deserved to outlast Mario Kart 64. Probably an unpopular opinion, but Diddy Kong Racing is just the most iconic racing game ever imo. 

Shall we start with the iconic cast of characters?

Diddy Kong

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo12_r1_250.gifv

Conker the Squirrel

tumblr_odqcqy02v61s3uawvo1_400.gifv

Pipsy the Mouse

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo9_r1_250.gifv

Krunch the Kremlng

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo11_r1_250.gifv

Timber the Tiger

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo1_250.gifv

Tiptup the Turtle

tumblr_n4kpzxMI7G1s3uawvo1_400.gifv

Banjo the Bear

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo10_r1_250.gifv

Bumper the Badger

tumblr_lood53CdI31qk26dzo2_250.gifv

Drumstick the Rooster + Taj the Genie

tumblr_nz2u1rWohh1s3uawvo1_500.gif

T.T. the Clock

tumblr_npuzuoaJJD1s3uawvo4_r1_500.gifv

Wizpig

tumblr_ltevprtn3F1r4llrmo1_500.gifv

Then there is the iconic Adventure Mode - an actual story mode with a ton of difficult challenges to complete. Five interconnected worlds with each world containing four racing tracks, one battle stage, one boss, coin collection challenge, and a tournament cup for each of the worlds. Adventure One then leads into Adventure Two, which inverts the tracks. Super awesome idea for a racing game, and there was so much fun in trying to defeat the very challenging bosses.

Battle Modes were amazing. Two deathmatch courses, capture-the-coin battle, and capture + hatch the eggs battle. So many amazing memories playing these battle modes.

The best aspect of this game? THE DIFFERENT VEHICLES. Hovercraft. Car. Plane. You were not stuck in a car for the duration of the entire game, and some stages even allowed you the choice on which vehicle to play. Iconic. I also loved the concept of powering up your items as you collected them, since you could hit the same color balloon three times to maximize the power of your item. The soundtrack was absolutely phenomenal and the music composed by David Wise still stands as some of the most charming video game tunes ever created.

There has never been a more creative and charming racing game. Rare was on fire in the '90s, and Diddy Kong Racing is the prime example of their stellar success back in the day. So glad to see this game advance so far in the Rankdown.

On 3/17/2020 at 10:59 PM, .Rei said:

Diddy Kong Racing

DKRboxart.jpg

giphy.gif

I'm glad that Diddy Kong Racing lasted all this long cause it is a favorite of mine and an important game in my childhood. Back on the day, most people would be either team Mario Kart 64 or team Diddy Kong Racing but I'm one of the people that love both games equally. Even if both are essentially the same type of racing game I believe they are really different with each having some clear strengths against the other. 

The thing I loved most about Diddy Kong Racing was definitely the Adventure Mode which is a blast to play and actually quite difficult with each of the bosses being quite difficult to beat. 

200.gif?cid=790b76110aa6e956faad297c3565

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The characters roster is also good with the most famous at the release being Diddy Kong but it was also the first game where other iconic characters would make their first appearance such as Banjo and Conker.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmeDXVCydI7Bm8DcDia2j

Personally, my favorite characters to use where Timber and Conker but all of them were great and full of personality.

The Battle Mode was also pretty awesome and one that was really fun to play with your friends. Icicle Pyramid is also one of the best battle tracks in any racing game so that's why I'm showing you this gif

giphy.gif

Overall, Diddy Kong Racing is an incredible game which is just a blast to play.  I'm super glad that it made it this far after I though it really stood no chance so I'm happy there were other fans out there who helped in carrying this game so far.

Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart. If only Rare hadn't disappointed Nintendo so badly with DK64 which let Microsoft buy up Rare from Nintendo because then maybe we would have seen another great Diddy Kong Racing.

Also did y'all see the rumors that a bunch of Mario games are going to be remastered for the series's 35th anniversary?!?!

• Like 1

18. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES; 1996)

giphy.gif

source.gif

giphy.gif

Super Mario RPG is definitely a phenomenal game, and one of the more obscure and lesser played titles in the franchise. An RPG developed by Square and published by Nintendo for the SNES, Super Mario RPG is a serious departure from the 2D-platformers that dominated the series up until this point. The first RPG in the Mario series + the first 3D gameplay environment, this title really did take the series in an entirely new direction. But with the guidance of Miyamoto, the game still feels right at home in the Super Mario world. A few parts Final Fantasy, a few parts A Link to the Past, a few parts Super Mario. Just an incredibly original and fun title.

The game plays like a mixture of an adventure title + JRPG. There are no random encounters, which is a blessing. Five player party, but only three are selected for battle. Mario must always be in the battle. Turn-based combat. Timed button presses during action commands make the combat feel a bit more exciting. Mario + Princess Peach + Bowser + Geno + Mallow = iconic cast of characters.  

The game released to mostly positive reviews, with critics praising the graphics and the humor of the game. Both of these aspects are pretty top notch. Probably the best graphics of any SNES title. My favorite aspect of the game is how well the elements of the JRPG genre are combined with the attitude of a Super Mario title. The game really becomes a unique and  extremely fun title because of how well these elements were meshed together under the close supervision of Miyamoto as he worked with Square. Tons of adventure and action, compelling story, funny moments, and great characters. What more could one ask for? 

GENO IN SMASH. THAT IS WHAT.

Though far from the best game in the Super Mario franchise, Super Mario RPG is undoubtedly a legendary game and a fabulous game to play even to this day. I am not mad at this placement.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:19 PM, ~Tom~ said:

Honestly Sola did some complaining about all the Super Mario games left in this but wanted this saved/ranked high. Well it looks nice and is an RPG so it gets some brownie points for that. 

Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars is the first RPG in the Mario series and it is also the first game in the Mario franchise that has gameplay 3D environment, with its major elements drawn from Square's Final Fantasy series and other RPGs (<3). Its action-based gameplay is similar to the Super Mario series. It's regarded as one of the best video games of all time and I think I'd probably like it if I played it but I haven't so honestly congrats Sola for getting it this far!

On 3/22/2020 at 9:37 PM, Solaris said:

This game is iconic.  Unlike others who use the word for games who don’t deserve it, this game truly does.  Super Mario RPG is a turn-based role-playing game that has a focus on Mario fixing the Star road.  Along the way, he picks up friends and frenemies to assist him.  There are 4 other players that can be used next to Mario once you progress far enough in the story.  Mallow the cloud, while not a great physical attacker, he has great magic, as it can damage multiple enemies and he can heal. His weapon are usually his fists or a cane. Geno, who is easily the best character in the entire game, is a toy that is animated in order to assist in fixing the star road.  Geno uses hand cannons, and star magic.  He can be a mixed attacker.  Bowser is the third option and is a strong attacker, but is weak on the magic.  He also has a hardy defense.  His weapon of choice is a chain chomp.  Lastly, Princess Toadstool becomes playable.  She is probably the best magic user and she can heal.  Super Mario RPG originated Toadstools frying pan, and it is fantastic.  Super Mario RPG is considered one of the greatest games of all time, and if you have not played it you should be downloading an emulator or finding it on the Nintendo store and playing it.

17. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64; 1998)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

AromaticNaughtyGoral-small.gif

Truly shocked that this game did not make the Top 2. As we all know, Ocarina of Time is widely considered the greatest video game ever made. That is not a statement that I agree with, but I seriously consider it to be at least one of the Top 20 video games of all-time. But there is something to be said about how many video game critics and fans will stand by Ocarina of Time as the pinnacle of video gaming. There is a truth to the longstanding legacy of widespread acclaim and massive adoration that this game receives. There has never been a more beloved video game. There has never been a more perfectly reviewed video game. And the likelihood that a game ever surpasses Ocarina of Time in either regard is virtually zero. The game offers a story and adventure that is virtually unmatched in the world of gaming, but there are components of the game that have not aged so brilliantly as one would expect. Not my favorite title of the series, but by far the most iconic and groundbreaking. I love this game immensely, and am sad to see it go. 

On 3/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, NGM said:

I think probably everyone has at least heard of this game. And I don't mean everyone here, it's probably one of the most well known games of all time, on top of being highly acclaimed. I'm really surprised it didn't make it further (even though it's endgame), but eh, what can you do.

It was released in 1998 for the N64, and it's the first Zelda game to be 3D. The game is praised for pretty much every aspect of it, but I feel 2 aspects of it standout to me: music (yeah, this is pretty much the surefire way to get me on board with anything) and character development. Especially the second one, what they did with Ganon/Ganondorf here was masterful, and what makes him one of the best villains in video games. Anyway, fantastic game, anyone should play it if they have the chance.

When are you posting them? Because I wanted to do write-ups since we are in quarantine and I feel bad not doing any even I was in the hospital.

The Tournament of the Champions

Time to reveal the Top 8 entries of the Rankdown!

Match-Up # 49

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch; 2018)

giphy.gif

vs.

giphy.gif

Mass Effect 2 (multi-platform; 2010)

Rankings & Results

Now is the time to reveal the next game eliminated from the Rankdown. In 16th place is...

16. Mass Effect 2 (multi-platform; 2010)

Final Average = 10.625

Dee: 12

Megan: 4

Nico: 2

Rei: 11

Sola: 15

Steven: 15

Tom: 13

Victoria: 13

Congratulations to Super Smash Bros Ultimate. (NES; 1985) for advancing further on in The Tournament of the Champions!

Final Average = 9.625

Dee: 1

Megan: 6

Nico: 15

Rei: 14

Sola: 14

Steven: 7

Tom: 16

Victoria: 4

@totes4totes & @NGM - each of you will need to submit a write-up for the tribute post

its for the best, since mass effect should have left like 50 spots ago!