The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

Well if this is true/accurate, it seems like all the “Voice is Doomed” people are likely gonna need to wait a much longer time :haha:

Before a taping this season I heard a crew member chatting with his friend that came to see the show and he mentioned that whenever it comes time for the network to figure out the schedule what it comes down to is what are you going to do to replace 3 hours of programming every week? When it's put in those terms it's understandable why they keep The Voice going. It's going to be interesting to see how Nick Jonas joining the show is going to affect the ratings. It seemed like the majority of people at the Blinds taping I attended were his fans.

• 3 weeks later...

O.o OMG They have some time to waste 1 hours long Blake /Nick Jokes how much did they pay Blake to sit there for an hour:?. Nick appear 4 times and he say different thing each time so it's not all loop I haven't watch it all so I don't know if they much loop

Sorry to *poop* on the Maelyn parade - but she's not going to make it.  She had her chance years ago and failed and now she's too old to break into pop.  She can't write her own hits and that's the death knell - no one is going to give her a great song now.  The only recent winners of The Voice with any chance at success are Brynn Cartelli and Chevel Shepherd.  They're young & fresh and have great support from the right people in the right places - but even given those advantages they're still long shots too.  I'd give Chevel the edge over Brynn.  Pop is the hardest market to crack.  The much smaller Country market is easier to break.  If Chevel can manage one medium size hit she's off to the races because she's young & fresh & marketable and she perfectly fits the authentic country lane country fans have been so vocal about. Most of the current crop of young female country singers are too too busy trying to break the pop market leaving the country lane wide open for fresh young talent.  

Maelyn can sing but she never found a top notch writer/producer - and she still hasn't found one despite winning TV.  As Clive Davis has been saying for the last 40 years: No hits - no career.

eta - Broadway and acting are better options than Pop.

Edited by Cranberrys

On 1/29/2020 at 5:44 AM, FloorWax said:

My country's (Philippines) version of the Voice just implemented the Block. Why...

The block in The Voice Philippines is actually good because it will add another excitement to the show. It will give the other coaches the chance to get an artist more likely choosing Sarah Geronimo as a coach who already won many times on the show (because of her Popster fans I guess). The only thing I don't like is that they will be given two (2) blocks each during the entire Blind Auditions.

2 hours ago, Dalton Eduardo said:

The block in The Voice Philippines is actually good because it will add another excitement to the show. It will give the other coaches the chance to get an artist more likely choosing Sarah Geronimo as a coach who already won many times on the show (because of her Popster fans I guess). The only thing I don't like is that they will be given two (2) blocks each during the entire Blind Auditions.

Oh, are you a fellow Pinoy? 

Yeah, I'm sick of Sarah G winning... But, even if the contestant chooses another team, that only means whoever DOES get on Team Sarah will be the one to win.

55 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Oh, are you a fellow Pinoy? 

Yeah, I'm sick of Sarah G winning... But, even if the contestant chooses another team, that only means whoever DOES get on Team Sarah will be the one to win.

Yes, I'm a fellow kababayan. I'm also tired of Sarah winning actually. She already won 4 times out of 7 seasons (combined Adults, Teens and Kids). More deserving winners were on another's team especially last season. 

4 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

Sorry to *poop* on the Maelyn parade - but she's not going to make it.  She had her chance years ago and failed and now she's too old to break into pop.  She can't write her own hits and that's the death knell - no one is going to give her a great song now.  The only recent winners of The Voice with any chance at success are Brynn Cartelli and Chevel Shepherd.  They're young & fresh and have great support from the right people in the right places - but even given those advantages they're still long shots too.  I'd give Chevel the edge over Brynn.  Pop is the hardest market to crack.  The much smaller Country market is easier to break.  If Chevel can manage one medium size hit she's off to the races because she's young & fresh & marketable and she perfectly fits the authentic country lane country fans have been so vocal about. Most of the current crop of young female country singers are too too busy trying to break the pop market leaving the country lane wide open for fresh young talent.  

Maelyn can sing but she never found a top notch writer/producer - and she still hasn't found one despite winning TV.  As Clive Davis has been saying for the last 40 years: No hits - no career.

eta - Broadway and acting are better options than Pop.

Shocked to learn that the Voice winners are gonna have a hard time trying to break into the music industry. 🤯 🤯 🤯

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case there’s still any doubt about whether Voice winners can reject the Republic deal. They should all turn it down. 

____

“I‘m proud to be a female country singer and am proud of the music the women in this format continue to create,” says Shepherd, who turned down the record deal that accompanied her Voice win so she could make a traditional country album more true to her vision. “Country is who I am. Fans are voting on TV, with the tickets they buy and by keeping records by women on their playlists. We just need radio to be more like their listeners, our fans, and show action.” 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/women-country-radio-airplay-crs-2020-956607/

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Just in case there’s still any doubt about whether Voice winners can reject the Republic deal. They should all turn it down. 

____

“I‘m proud to be a female country singer and am proud of the music the women in this format continue to create,” says Shepherd, who turned down the record deal that accompanied her Voice win so she could make a traditional country album more true to her vision. “Country is who I am. Fans are voting on TV, with the tickets they buy and by keeping records by women on their playlists. We just need radio to be more like their listeners, our fans, and show action.” 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/women-country-radio-airplay-crs-2020-956607/

They can turn it down, but I am certain that there are restrictions that come with that decision, such as not being able to sign with another label for a certain period of time. If you want to be independent, that’s not a problem. If you want to sign with another label like Brynn, you have to get the lawyers involved.

17 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

They can turn it down, but I am certain that there are restrictions that come with that decision, such as not being able to sign with another label for a certain period of time. If you want to be independent, that’s not a problem. If you want to sign with another label like Brynn, you have to get the lawyers involved.

That could be the case, but we really don’t know. Since we haven’t read the contract, it’s  just speculation. In Brynn’s case, she had already signed with Republic, so that was a little more complicated. 

Chevel recorded a theme song for the PBR tour, to be used in the upcoming season on ABC. This took place less than 1 year from her win, so if there is some sort of blackout period, either:

a) It’s something like 6-9 months

b) It only pertains to signing with a competing label, and not necessarily recording something like the PBR anthem. 

c) She broke the contract 

She also did a recording with Chaka Khan and others, a couple months after the win. 

Either way, they should decline the Republic deal. It’s a dead end. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Julio Cesar Castillo (S3) and Karen Galera (S16) are both competing on La Voz this season.

Both were four chair turns and both had blocks used for them (both blocks were used against Luis Fonsi - although it's worth noting that each coach in the Spanish version has 2 blocks to use during auditions instead of 1)

Julio went with Alejandra Guzman

Karen went with Wisin

Also worth noting that Karen auditioned with Skyscraper, so she auditioned in Spanish on the English version and in English on the Spanish version 😂

Best of luck to them both! Not sure if we'll get any more alumni this season.

Edited by Someone648

Yes, I toss this out for response, it's welcomed, hope it comes..

Often wonder if there are others who are solely interested in the music, the contestants performances & the results including, Coach's decisions, fan voting &  artist's Coach selection.  Did I mention solely, as in exclusively, only, just.  I record it and skip everything else, the rest of the show... the ads, the stories, the snippets, et al, I skip.

Often wonder if there are others who are solely interested in the music, the contestants performances & the results including, Coach's decisions, fan voting &  artist's Coach selection.  Did I mention solely, as in, exclusively, only, just.  I record it and skip everything else, the rest of the show... the ads, the stories, the snippets, et al, I skip.

43 minutes ago, Drew1903 said:

Often wonder if there are others who are solely interested in the music, the contestants performances & the results including, Coach's decisions, fan voting &  artist's Coach selection.  Did I mention solely, as in, exclusively, only, just.  I record it and skip everything else, the rest of the show... the ads, the stories, the snippets, et al, I skip.

So how long do you think The Voice would stay on the air if they $hitcanned all the Coaches and let the voting TV audience make all the decisions?

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/nbc-gives-the-voice-tv-biggest-promo-push

Not quite sure how to interpret this but the voice has the biggest promo push of the week ending March 1

The Voice, NBC

Impressions: 274,990,170
Attention Score: 92.57
Attention Index: 90 (10% more interruptions than avg.)
Imp. Types: National 91%, Local 8%, VOD/OTT 1%
In-network Value: $1,661,464
Out-of-network Est. Spend: $710,427

So they spend the most money/network time to promote the voice of all TV for last week's.